Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dallas (meaning the Jones’s) typically sign players right up against deadlines. Dak and his agent have their number and are not backing down. It remains to be seen what Dallas will do. None of this makes for a great offseason. Bad blood appears to be growing from this shit. Jmo. If he’s not signed by draft day package him with some picks and fucking draft a QB. Maybe with a qb drafted in the first round we can finally win shit that matters

My bad. A third Option besides  him what he wants or rescind the tag and let him be an unrestricted free agent would be to draft a QB and hope that gives them some leverage??? But honestly if they do draft a QB early like in the first round I doubt Dakota signs the tag. Guess the cowboys back down and give him the number he and his agent are set on (which is a shit look) after this Stalemate has been going on for a while and causing bad blood to develop.  Or more likely sign him like a week before the deadline? OR rescind the tag. I just fail to understand dragging this out. Cut him loose or give him what he wants. I don’t see an upside to  dragging this out. I don’t see Dak/his agent backing down off their stance. If the Cowboys truly do not believe he is worth that number cut him loose. To me it’s that simple. Besides Zeke is the straw that stirs the drink according to them  any way. 

All you dumb cunts need to shut the everliving fuck up about any other QB starting for the Cowboys. Dak will be the starting QB for the next 4-5 years, minimum. 

As is tradition, the Joneses will bend over the day of the long-term contract deadline.   

Dak is the least of the Cowboys problems..... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Bad blood appears to be growing from this shit.

I wish you were right.  but jerry and stephen will act like they have a plan and are sticking to it, and then at the last minute they will cave in like the soft moronic dipshits that they are to their cores.  the zeke negotiations were fucking unacceptable.  dak is going to get a cap-destroying contract, and we will return to the never-ending cycles of restructuring every year just to get under the cap while not having the money to pursue decent talent on the free agent market.  and dak will win another couple of wild-card games in the next six years.  maybe. 

17 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

All you dumb cunts need to shut the everliving fuck up about any other QB starting for the Cowboys. Dak will be the starting QB for the next 4-5 years, minimum. 

As is tradition, the Joneses will bend over the day of the long-term contract deadline.   

Dak is the least of the Cowboys problems..... 

Oh trust me, everything you said is true. Especially the bold. It’s just unfortunate. There was no other way this could’ve gone. I’ll take that to my grave. There was no time where both the Cowboys and Dak would’ve come to terms and agreed on an extension. The cowboys have made a lot of dumb decisions in regards to the timing of paying some of their players. This wasn’t one of them, IMO. 

Whatever. We’ve been mediocre for 25 years and we have by far the most valuable sports franchise in the world. Jerry cares about being relevant. If we’re mediocre, were one of the most relevant franchises in the sport. When we’re 6-6 and one game out of the final wild card spot, we’re on at primetime and we’re leading Get Up, and all sport talk the next morning. That’s all Jerry cares about, and Dak all but guarantees that over the next 3-4 years. So we have that to look forward to if he doesn’t develop.

No doubt Dak becomes the highest paid player in football and a wildcard win is a banner year for us going forward. 

Would have some optimism if we nailed 2-3 drafts in a row but its looking pretty bad.

LVE that will probably have to retire early, Trysten Hill, giving up a 1st rounder for Amari and still having to give him top 5 WR money, Awuzie who is mostly trash etc.

50 minutes ago, GOAT said:

We trading down this year? I don't think CJ Henderson or Chaisson will be there at 17.  Maybe Javon Kinlaw?

It’ll be interesting to see how many qbs go before our pick. Either they start going off the board before us and someone who shouldn’t will fall, or I bet we try to trade out of that pick with someone looking to draft Jordan Love, or Jacob Eason. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

18 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

It’ll be interesting to see how many qbs go before our pick. Either they start going off the board before us and someone who shouldn’t will fall, or I bet we try to trade out of that pick with someone looking to draft Jordan Love, or Jacob Eason. 

This is where I am at. Either there is a run on QB's in front of us and we get one of our main targets or we should hopefully have the ability to trade down for someone wanting to do something monumentally stupid and trade up to draft Love. 

July 15th...

I don’t have a time frame,” Jones said during a conference call Tuesday. “It’s not in a list of priorities as you could imagine with everything that we all are dealing with as well as what we’re doing with the draft. I don’t have the time frame, but I’m not concerned about that at all as to any of those issues. Again, no surprises here. No surprise on the amount that the franchise counts against the [cap], and no surprise we’re sitting here relative to where we are without a long-term agreement. What is the issue here and the challenge is how do we have communication with everyone and do the best we can with what we’ve got and what the league is doing as it pertains to getting our team ready. Dak is very much a part of that.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/21/cowboys-remain-confident-of-long-term-deal-with-dak-prescott/

typical Jerruh word salad. Yes yes yes...we all know July 15 is your dead drop date. So I guess y’all will bend over like always. I know Jerruh is keen on publicity. But this Dak contract stuff pales in comparison to Brady to the Bucs and now Gronk possibly to the Bucs. Either rescind the tag, draft a QB in the first round for some kind of leverage or bend over and pay Dak. Just don’t fart when bending over...it might spread the fucking virus. 

16 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Should we call Tampa and ask about OJ Howard? He had a good year the season before last, and Bruce Areans has been notorious for not using his TEs. 

Yes, yes we should....... if they would take a 4th or something like a 3rd with a 4/5th back then we should jump on it.  Howard can block and is a weapon in the passing attack.  

14 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yes, yes we should....... if they would take a 4th or something like a 3rd with a 4/5th back then we should jump on it.  Howard can block and is a weapon in the passing attack.  

I think we should get him and put him at QB. He'd be sooo much better than Dak, cause Dak sucks lulz.

24 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He should be pretty cheap, he is the 4th year of his rookie contract and only making $2 million this year, he does have a 5th year option for 2021 that would be like $10 million, but they could just let him walk or pick up the option and trade him again.

4 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

He should be pretty cheap, he is the 4th year of his rookie contract and only making $2 million this year, he does have a 5th year option for 2021 that would be like $10 million, but they could just let him walk or pick up the option and trade him again.

Yep.  I would absolutely go after him, Jarwin aside.  He's another weapon on the cheap.

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Should we call Tampa and ask about OJ Howard? He had a good year the season before last, and Bruce Areans has been notorious for not using his TEs. 

umm... Tommay kinda likes a good tight end or two.

Just sayin.

57 minutes ago, Iceman said:

umm... Tommay kinda likes a good tight end or two.

Just sayin.

While this is true, I don’t see an Areans offense sustaining 2 TEs, and with them trading for Gronk, it seems like they would want to just move on from Howard since he only has 1 year left on his rookie deal. 

On 4/20/2020 at 7:08 PM, GOAT said:

We trading down this year? I don't think CJ Henderson or Chaisson will be there at 17.  Maybe Javon Kinlaw?

"Why trading down still remains the Cowboys best option in the draft"

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2020/4/21/21227468/why-trading-down-still-remains-the-cowboys-best-option-in-the-draft

Couple of interesting stats:

Blake Jarwin caught three times as many TD passes as OJ Howard last year, 3 to 1. Jarwin has caught as many TD passes as Howard over the past two seasons, 6 to 6.

Jarwin has caught 75% of his targets, to Howard's 67%, over their careers.

Doesn't mean much, but interesting. Howard enters his option year in 2021. The Patriots are going fro broke this year and I doubt they trade him. Brady likes TEs. They will deal with that situation next year, and Howard's inconsistency plus his upcoming contract situation makes him more difficult to trade.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

The Bucs also have Cameron Brate at TE. He is signed to a long term deal. If a TE gets moved, Howard will be the one they trade

Understood.   I'd be pretty damned surprised if Gronk in the NFL...whenever it might return.

Not sure I even agree with Howard having that much upside.  They had weapons galore to take defensive focus away,  crableg slinging the ball all over the field, and OJ hasn't done shit.

2 hours ago, Viper said:

trading down is almost always the best option picking in the late teens, it's finding a willing partner to trade up that's the problem.

Exactly. Moving from 17th to 25th is very minor in terms of talent and if you can get an extra 3rd round pick or something its likely the best move. 

41 minutes ago, DougO said:

Couple of interesting stats:

Blake Jarwin caught three times as many TD passes as OJ Howard last year, 3 to 1. Jarwin has caught as many TD passes as Howard over the past two seasons, 6 to 6.

Jarwin has caught 75% of his targets, to Howard's 67%, over their careers.

Doesn't mean much, but interesting. Howard enters his option year in 2021. The Patriots are going fro broke this year and I doubt they trade him. Brady likes TEs. They will deal with that situation next year, and Howard's inconsistency plus his upcoming contract situation makes him more difficult to trade.

So what you are saying is that two years ago Howard caught almost as many tds as jarwin has the past 2 seasons combined?

23 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Exactly. Moving from 17th to 25th is very minor in terms of talent and if you can get an extra 3rd round pick or something its likely the best move. 

These are the kinds of trades that you don’t do get until you are on the clock and there’s a player still available that another team covets, but you don’t. So it’s not likely that anything others than a private verbal understanding will be happen before draft day, and even that is unlikely as it is leverage to find a better deal for the pick. 

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So what you are saying is that two years ago Howard caught almost as many tds as jarwin has the past 2 seasons combined?

Arians offense typically doesn't highlight TEs, which is sort of funny with the Gronk news, but I'm sure he'll tweak it for Gronk.  Also, Tampa has a shitty OL and part of Howard's frustration was staying in more to chip or help blocking after a sort of breakout in 2018 until he got hurt and missed the last 6 games.  Howard was 'on pace' for 54 catches, 900 yards and 9 TD on about a 71% catch rate coming from Jameis.  He also averaged a very stout 16.62 YPC in 2018.  Now TEs are typically scheme dependent and he didn't play all that well in 2019, but there's some talent there and he will block a little.  I'd be fine taking a chance on the talent and seeing how he may partner with Jarwin.  FTR, Howard had 11 TDs in his first 2 years combined.