LTtxfan

2020 Texas HS football

North Texas: Tommy Mangino is leaving to become the offensive coordinator at Austin Lake Travis.

TOMMY MANGINO  BIO

mangino.jpg?width=300

North Texas -- Quality Control, Offense

Mangino was named an offensive quality control coach to Seth Littrell's staff on March 1, 2019.  Mangino joins the Mean Green following three seasons in the same role at Kentucky, working primarily with wide receivers. Wildcats receiver Lynn Bowden, Jr. earned second-team All-SEC honors in 2018 after hauling in 67 catches for 745 yards and a team-high five touchdowns.

Mangino spent the 2014 and 2015 seasons as the wide receivers coach at Iowa State. Allen Lazard earned All-Big 12 honorable mention recognition in 2015 after catching 56 passes for 808 yards and six touchdowns. In 2014, four different Cyclones, three of which were wide receivers, caught 40 or more passes. The Cyclones were just one of 12 teams in the Football Bowl Subdivision to do so. Lazard was named an honorable mention for offensive freshman of the year in the Big 12 after posting 45 receptions for 593 yards and three scores.

Prior to his time in Ames, Mangino was an offensive graduate assistant on the staff at Arkansas, where his focus was with the Razorbacks’ wide receivers.  Before heading to Fayetteville, Mangino served on the coaching staff of Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College. He served as offensive coordinator in 2012, as the Blue Dragons tied or broke 15 school records that still stand, including a team record in pass completions and individual records in total offense, passing yards, rushing yards and receptions.  Mangino served as the passing game coordinator for Hutchinson in 2011. That season, the Blue Dragons set a school record with 601 points on the season. In 2010, Mangino was responsible for HCC’s quarterbacks and wide receivers.  Combined across his three seasons at Hutchinson, Mangino’s quarterbacks threw for 7,200 yards and 78 touchdowns. Among the players who Mangino worked with was 2013 NFL Draft first-round pick Cordarrelle Patterson, who won a Super Bowl with the New England Patriots in 2018.

Mangino served as an offensive graduate assistant at Kansas for two seasons (2008-09). Mangino primarily worked the quarterbacks and wide receivers, helping quarterback Todd Reesing break nine school records and NFL wideout Dez Briscoe earn All-Big 12 honors. He was on-staff when the Jayhawks defeated Minnesota in the 2008 Insight Bowl.

Mangino was a two-sport athlete at Washburn University, playing football  & baseball.  Mangino earned his bachelor’s degree in sports management from Washburn in 2008. He completed his master’s degree in health, sport and exercise science at Kansas in 2010.

He is married to the former Danielle Huff, and the couple have three sons, Vincenzo, Dominic and Roman.

Edited by LTtxfan

I understand Cuero will be announcing their new HC today (Thursday). Garrison hired Brandon Alvarez last Friday. 

Plano ISD has fired Coach Mac. He'd been with the district for 27 years and was a plano boy. Looks like the good 'ol boy system is running out in Plano ISD. They are about 15 years to late tho

Also some people on the other hs thread were talking about Wimberly and Geronomo's district. They have appealed to the UIL to be removed from that district. Basically they would both kill every team and most of the other teams dont have sub varsity's so scheduling would be a nightmare for the JV's.

14 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I understand Cuero will be announcing their new HC today (Thursday). Garrison hired Brandon Alvarez last Friday. 

Re-visiting this. I'm told ;) they vote (and presumably announce) on the 20th, but apparently have their man picked out.

Strake Jesuit and St.Thomas will no longer be playing each other.

55 years of history in Houston, down the drain.

SJ is apparently going to start up a yearly game with Dallas Jesuit.

7 hours ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

When his dad visits they’ll have to reinforce the pressbox at LT.

Duke+v+Kansas+M_uQJjjF2UEx.jpg

14 hours ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

When his dad visits they’ll have to reinforce the pressbox at LT.

Hope it's not that aggy firm that built Allen Stadium. 

8 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

He's taking the Cuero job

That's the word I've heard. They (Cuero) have to vote on it still.

9 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

That's the word I've heard. They (Cuero) have to vote on it still.

they'd (Cuero) have to be idiots to not approve that hire

Edited by Dennis Taylor

What's the usual timing (or time) for changing schools when you're a Texas HS Football coach?

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

What's the usual timing (or time) for changing schools when you're a Texas HS Football coach?

Usually December through March or so, but there are a lot if variables. There can be a chain reaction to someone leaving a school creating another opening at the school the replacement comes from , board/sup politics, guys can retire late in the school year to potentially help one of their assistant's chances of getting the job- stuff like that. There is typically more turnover in a realignment year also, which just happened at the beginning of February 

Alamo Heights hires Ron Rittiman from SA Johnson to take over as head coach. Rittiman had been head coach at Johnson since it opened in 2008. Rode perhaps the easiest playoff path in history and a 1 point upset win over Steele to take them on a state semifinal run in 2013 with his son at QB. They lost to Katy 56-0 I think in the semi game. I don’t know that he ever won a playoff game outside of that season. They were still a pretty solid program though. Heights has been down lately, maybe this change will get them going.

11 hours ago, Helobious said:

Alamo Heights hires Ron Rittiman from SA Johnson to take over as head coach. Rittiman had been head coach at Johnson since it opened in 2008. Rode perhaps the easiest playoff path in history and a 1 point upset win over Steele to take them on a state semifinal run in 2013 with his son at QB. They lost to Katy 56-0 I think in the semi game. I don’t know that he ever won a playoff game outside of that season. They were still a pretty solid program though. Heights has been down lately, maybe this change will get them going.

Johnson has 1 playoff win since 2013.  I would have thought the AH job would draw more interest -- you can win state at AH.  

11 hours ago, Helobious said:

Rodney Webb (Rockwall) backed out last minute. The only reason I saw for Webb to take that job was he's close to retirement and was trying to bump up his pay. Heights is paying 145k

Edited by CoachEmUp64
typo