Assman

The New Car Fanatic Thread

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

And it’s not a money thing.  Some people are just idiots no matter what they have financially.  The raptors and king ranch trucks crack my shit up.  Nothing wrong with trucks but wtf spending 70k on those massive piles of shit.  

I wouldn't call them massive piles of shit.  Maybe they don't do the things you value, but neither will any of your rigs tow 5,000 or 10,000 lbs, or seat 5 and carry a couple dozen 2x4s and a bundle of sheetrock.  Or go offroad.

I suppose you can scoff at that level of luxury in what could/should be a utility vehicle.  

And, you don't have to get a Raptor to spend 70 grand on a truck.  

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I wouldn't call them massive piles of shit.  Maybe they don't do the things you value, but neither will any of your rigs tow 5,000 or 10,000 lbs, or seat 5 and carry a couple dozen 2x4s and a bundle of sheetrock.  Or go offroad.

I suppose you can scoff at that level of luxury in what could/should be a utility vehicle.  

And, you don't have to get a Raptor to spend 70 grand on a truck.  

Oh no.  I just mean there’s way better trucks that will do all that and look better (Not all plastic on interior) for less money.  You can have a pretty badass custom truck that isn’t all plastic and decals that hits all those performance measures.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
I can dig brodozers.

On 1/13/2020 at 11:13 PM, tbone_ said:

Trans am please

My 2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe Turbo 1.5 liter 4 banger is rated 5.8 seconds 0-60 with 174 hp.
Lulz

14 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I suppose you can scoff at that level of luxury in what could/should be a utility vehicle

That's pretty much precisely the point.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I think the raptors are cool. Wouldn’t buy one though.

I know a guy that used to do dessert races ...  he had one of the last years that didn't have all the computer nanny controls. (don't remember the year, but it was an early one)  In the right hands it's got plenty of potential (I went for a ride with him and I guarantee you would be holding on for dear life). I haven't talked with him for a while but I know he didn't want a newer one and was shopping for a fun truck replacement. /csb

I wouldn't buy one, but I won't sit here and tell you they are garbage either.  I just struggle to think there is a mainstream market for folks who need and use this type of truck for anything other than a lifestyle accessory.  There is one 3 houses down that the guy uses to tow his 16' whaler. lulz

So a lot of car manufacturers are pulling out of auto shows.  Where have I been?  No Mercedes at Chicago this year.  Chicago is the country’s biggest - although LA probably gets the prestige title.  Still - car shows were the shit as a kid.  Damn shame.  

15 minutes ago, Loco said:

He likes the popular ones ... your mom's ass

More of an appetizer but I’ll allow it.  

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

My 2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe Turbo 1.5 liter 4 banger is rated 5.8 seconds 0-60 with 174 hp.
Lulz

With just 174, that seems, not believable.  What's it weigh?

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

So a lot of car manufacturers are pulling out of auto shows.  Where have I been?  No Mercedes at Chicago this year.  Chicago is the country’s biggest - although LA probably gets the prestige title.  Still - car shows were the shit as a kid.  Damn shame.  

Have you seen the TV commercial for the Chicago Auto Show yet? 

There's some schmuck and his wife all dolled up in black tie, but the wife looks like she's being held hostage, or secretly electrocuted or something. It's really disturbing, funny, and captivating. My wife is tired of me rewinding it a few times each time it airs. 

Look for it. 

So I am completely new to turbocharged engines.  I have the boost gage on and I am surprised at how often the boost pressure reads "0 psi."

Of course, it has an 8-speed tranny, so cruising at any speed is generally under 2000 rpm, so I guess that accounts for it.

Not sure what I was expecting.  It's quite a little asskicker when you put your foot into it.

22 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

With just 174, that seems, not believable.  What's it weigh?

Looked it up again - my bad - only 6.9 for its 0-60 time. Weight for the Coupe is 2,880 lbs.

Still a quick little car to me though.

41 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Have you seen the TV commercial for the Chicago Auto Show yet? 

There's some schmuck and his wife all dolled up in black tie, but the wife looks like she's being held hostage, or secretly electrocuted or something. It's really disturbing, funny, and captivating. My wife is tired of me rewinding it a few times each time it airs. 

Look for it. 

LMAO.  I have.  For the first drive for charity thing.  I mean I could see how that commercial alone drove off the major auto manufacturers.  It really is that bad.  

So I am completely new to turbocharged engines.  I have the boost gage on and I am surprised at how often the boost pressure reads "0 psi."
Of course, it has an 8-speed tranny, so cruising at any speed is generally under 2000 rpm, so I guess that accounts for it.
Not sure what I was expecting.  It's quite a little asskicker when you put your foot into it.

And really it’s actually at a vacuum most of the time, it’s just not showing you that.

4 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

And really it’s actually at a vacuum most of the time, it’s just not showing you that.

Yeah I guess that's right.  Does the turbo actually act as an intake obstruction until it is producing boost?  Or is it about the same vacuum as it would be if NA?

I've wondered more or less the same thing about roots-type superchargers.  That is, it would seem to need to be rotating not to completely choke off the intake.  Which, of course, it is.  But it seems like that lobed compressor would be more of an obstruction than a centrifugal fan with low rotating moment of inertia.

Edited by TwiceHorn

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah I guess that's right.  Does the turbo actually act as an intake obstruction until it is producing boost?  Or is it about the same vacuum as it would be if NA?

I've wondered more or less the same thing about roots-type superchargers.  That is, it would seem to need to be rotating not to completely choke off the intake.  Which, of course, it is.  But it seems like that lobed compressor would be more of an obstruction than a centrifugal fan with low rotating moment of inertia.

Roots blowers are generally geared to be slightly boosting at idle in terms of being used on performance gas motors. You are talking about motors that tend to not idle great to start with. I'm not sure exactly how they are set up on say a Detroit diesel. I've had one Detroit in our fleet but I never really investigated it other than to make sure it was running.

Yeah there was a dude at my high school that "built" and raced (drag) cars with his Dad.  They had a roots blown Firebird and Corvette from the mid 70s.  Dad drove a Ferrari to work, which was always fun because they lived on the corner of a street that was very low-lying and had monstrous dips.  So Dad had to do about 5mph in that thing.

Was always interesting hearing them start up.  Whine, cough cough, rumble gasp rumble.

Obviously I know almost nothing about forced-induction engines other than the basic operating principle.

21 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Looked it up again - my bad - only 6.9 for its 0-60 time. Weight for the Coupe is 2,880 lbs.

Still a quick little car to me though.

Very quick for an "econobox."  I've always kind of liked the Civic.  Seems like a lot of car for the dough.  The Type R is pretty speedy, but such a ricer.

Two vehicles ago, I drove an Acura TSX, which was a JDM Accord, tarted up slightly.  It was a fun and solid car and pretty much a steal even new.  But once I got into the 250 ftlbs plus 3.6 V6, I realized I could never go back to such low torque.  Also really appreciate RWD.  Traction control makes it that much less obvious in the rare icy conditions.

This may be inappropriate for this thread, but I guess my noodling around on 80s engines put this in my google feed.

The story of the GM Quad4, the first American DOHC 4-banger and kind of a harbinger.  https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2020/01/heres-why-the-quad-4-was-one-of-gms-most-important-engines-ever/   It mainstreamed coil-on-cylinder ignition, among other things.

GM's first all-new engine since the OHV V8 Oldsmobile Rocket in 1948.  My Dad was a big fan of Oldsmobiles because of the Rocket engine.

Rather symbolic of the American laurel-resting of the post-war years.

Edited by TwiceHorn

7 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Man, that is not a good angle for that car. Looks horrible there.

Looks like a CUV

On 1/17/2020 at 9:42 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

And it’s not a money thing.  Some people are just idiots no matter what they have financially.  The raptors and king ranch trucks crack my shit up.  Nothing wrong with trucks but wtf spending 70k on those massive piles of shit.  

For the same reason you choose to spend 250-300k on a car that has competitive options at a third of that price?  Because you like what you like. 

1 hour ago, Bert Orange said:

For the same reason you choose to spend 250-300k on a car that has competitive options at a third of that price?  Because you like what you like. 

Bro it was 600k.  And when money was an issue you can bet your ass I was getting the most bang for the buck I could.  

But your point stands.  To each his own...

3 hours ago, Loco said:

4404f9f5ace216d657904c9097c889b8

lock nuts not included

Nice of them to leave the jacks behind

3 hours ago, G650 said:

Didn't know there was a big market for used La Ferrari wheels

This comment made me look twice

On 1/23/2020 at 5:49 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Tune only. 

Jesus fuck. 

I find it fascinating that SUVs and CUVs try so hard to deny being basically station wagons.  Yet the odd "shooting brake" or sport wagon, or avant, if you must, has fantastic popularity, at least within the enthusiast niche.

My wife and I spent the weekend in Nashville and I rented a Supra from Turo for the duration. This car surprised the hell out of me. I knew the numbers were good, but I was still blown away by the power, acceleration, balance, and handling. This is just one of those cars where you point the nose, mash on the accelerator, and it just goes without fuss. I haven't had that much fun in a car since I rented the 911 GTS in Germany. I haven't driven a 718, but I imagine the Supra is as close to it as anything else. If you have the chance to drive one, do it. Just watch your head as you get in because this fucker is a lot smaller than it looks and that roofline comes at you quick.97fe3d7af5542c4557c1dc30af34be27.jpg35a120aa34427f907bcd50c396d4c210.jpg7337bad47668f4097a88a5e6ae3c8398.jpgf3f106aaff482d1c9b38b56e0a8ae01e.jpg

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

new bmw x4 looks like it's wearing a full diaper. 

I saw an X2 yesterday. It was not attractive.

50 minutes ago, Okie State said:

X2, X4, and X6 all look like complete shit. I have no idea why these vehicles exist.

Because upper middle America

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Because upper middle America

Really wants to buy a station wagon, but really, really doesn't want to admit it.

I haven't checked the specs, but it certainly appears that most of the CUVs have bigger wheels and tires than their SUV counterparts, which is truly bizarre.

So, it appears the the "mystery" of the -V Cadillacs is solved.  The hi-po will be -V Blackwing, while the mid-po will be -V.

Edited by TwiceHorn

21 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Really wants to buy a station wagon, but really, really doesn't want to admit it.

This has always been bizarre to me. Station wagons are epic.

I haven't checked the specs, but it certainly appears that most of the CUVs have bigger wheels and tires than their SUV counterparts, which is truly bizarre.
So, it appears the the "mystery" of the -V Cadillacs is solved.  The hi-po will be -V Blackwing, while the mid-po will be -V.
I thought they were already killing off Blackwing.

They are killing off the Blackwing V8, sadly, because there's nothing to put it in. 

But it appears that - V will be what used to be V-Sport and - V Blackwing will be what was just - V

16 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Cadillac is so fucking rudderless. It's really disappointing. 

But they've got the Forgettable Crossover for your CREW all figured out. 

Only time I see cadillacs or Lincoln’s they are Uber black cars.  Other than Escalades and those are heading that way too recently.   Seriously.  Are normal people out there buying any of these?  

Navigator and continental seem like decent cars when I’m in em 5 min at a time.  Cadillacs other than Escalade not so much...

The CT6-V seemed promising....so they killed it. The V series cars have always been intriguing to me.

I've read numerous accounts of the Escalades being huge piles of shit after a few years.

I still like how the new Aviator looks. Good for ice fishing too. I thought I read the Continental is dead.

They are killing off the Blackwing V8, sadly, because there's nothing to put it in. 
But it appears that - V will be what used to be V-Sport and - V Blackwing will be what was just - V
Gotcha. I guess I thought Blackwing was the V8.

The fact that a bunch of people who actually follow the automotive industry and actually care about what's offered all have no clue about what's what is pretty telling about their total lack of coherent direction in their lineup. 

It's just needlessly inconsistent and impenetrable. Reminds me of the Ad Wizards who decided to fuck up BMW's steady, logical, and well-known nomenclature just for the fuck of it. To a lesser extent, Infiniti did the same thing a few years back, but it's hard to care too much about that when their hottest engines still sound like diarrhea being unleashed into a 5 gallon bucket. 

Man, that is not a good angle for that car. Looks horrible there.

7323e2b5725116c605e2a2ae77171f56.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I feel like part of the charm in the monster wagons is their sleeperishness, and the Audi is almost too rawly aggressive looking - you're not talking your way out of a ticket in that car as easily as you might in the Mercedes. 

Here's a link to a thread with a ton of pictures of the RS6 and the E63 side by side. 

https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/762685-e63-s-wagon-vs-rs6-avant.html

Edited by Prepuce of Doom