Jump to content
Assman

The New Car Fanatic Thread

Recommended Posts

Car hasn't ticked over 4 digits on the odo and already collected its first accident this morning.

 

Dude from opposite direction was going downslope, coming around a blind right-turn bend.  Road was icy so he plowed straight ahead, into my lane (I was starting my left-turn). 
 

I couldn't avoid him, so my front bumper went into his right fender.

 

It was a hilariously-slow-motion incident.  I have the dashcam.  No police involved.  Im 95% confident it's his fault for encroaching into "my" path, but I'm wondering if his insurance wouldn't pay me out due to me not being able to avoid him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This constitutes the 5% of my fear. 

There is a little lot on the right.  Not a real parking lot.  It's really just an access road for service vehicles.  That he can say was his driving intent (rather than following the dashed path), so he had the right of way. 

 

If that curbed entrance wasn't there, then obviously he was in the space of my entitlement. 

path.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sucks.  Sorry.

Where is that?  It looks curiously euro-brutalist.  Also probably need to make clear to insurance that that median doesn't divide oncoming traffic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the public library and from what I can make of the garments and projector, through the window, that's where Muslims (mostly) go for daily language lessons :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 10:51 AM, G650 said:

Variable valve timing is great until it asplodes.

Yeah I wasn't particularly commenting on its value or reliability, just that it was a) clever and b) an almost purely mechanical engine improvement.  I guess direct injection falls in that category, as well, but eeeeeelectronics I think enable DI, perhaps no more than port injection.

That said, I have had three VVT vehicles with a combined about 300k on their clocks without issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I’m sure that’s a cool car but why even call it a mustang? I don’t get it.

There's talk that Ford has been considering spinning Mustang off as a stand-alone brand. Not a great idea IMO but if they do, they'll need a few new models. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I’m sure that’s a cool car but why even call it a mustang? I don’t get it.
I don't get it either. Of course someone also thought it was a good idea to put a basketball logo on football uniforms, so I don't pretend to try and understand marketing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

That said, I have had three VVT vehicles with a combined about 300k on their clocks without issues.

Yeah, I wouldn't say they are super unreliable or anything in my experience ( I think we have gone through maybe 20 or 30 vehicles with VVT?), but when they cut loose, watch out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

 


Gross.

My top of the line ‘96 Cobra made less horsepower than a 2019 4-cylinder. Of course it had a lot more headroom (there are 800hp turbo kits) and sounded much better.

 

in an odd twist, I actually don't hate that thing.  chances of me buying 1 are less than 0, but I don't mind them expanding the "mustang" family of cars.  That said, I would not have started the expansion with this thing.  I would have started with a sport sedan in the same category as the former ford tauraus or something.  start with a sedan that is kick ass, and then maybe expand into this thing after you have introduced something that is at least somewhat feasible to wear the mustang badge so it isn't as shocking when you see something that is totally not within the scope of a performance car with a mustang badge. And im not saying the sedan idea is perfect either, but I can at least get behind the concept of expanding the mustang branding to other vehicle classes with a performance sedan.  This....this is not how you expand.    

Edited by pepper brooks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

US carmakers are completely ate up with SUV and e-car dumbass.  The latter is probably appropriate, the former is getting absurd.

I was reading that Audi remains committed to cars, sedans in particular, and increased its US sales substantially.  No doubt in large part because of a lack of alternatives.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

in an odd twist, I actually don't hate that thing.  chances of me buying 1 are less than 0, but I don't mind them expanding the "mustang" family of cars.  That said, I would not have started the expansion with this thing.  I would have started with a sport sedan in the same category as the former ford tauraus or something.  start with a sedan that is kick ass, and then maybe expand into this thing after you have introduced something that is at least somewhat feasible to wear the mustang badge so it isn't as shocking when you see something that is totally not within the scope of a performance car with a mustang badge. And im not saying the sedan idea is perfect either, but I can at least get behind the concept of expanding the mustang branding to other vehicle classes with a performance sedan.  This....this is not how you expand.    

Ford has discontinued all non-SUVs/CUVs/trucks besides the Mustang, so it seems silly to erase the brand history of their sedans, hatchbacks, etc. only to try to later reintroduce them as Mustangs. 

But I'm not a marketing shithead, so what do I know... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

US carmakers are completely ate up with SUV and e-car dumbass.  The latter is probably appropriate, the former is getting absurd.

I was reading that Audi remains committed to cars, sedans in particular, and increased its US sales substantially.  No doubt in large part because of a lack of alternatives.

It was in SUVs sales that lift the company .4 % for 2019. A3, A4, and A5 plummeted in 2019 US market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...