Awful horrible bad shit is happening in the USA right now, if you are afraid of your fucking feelings getting hurt this isn't the website for you. ×
Sign in to follow this  
idahorn

1970 Retrospective

The LHN produced excellent reviews of the 1963 and 1969 National Championship teams and their seasons. I watch them pretty often due to my attachment to UT.  (Went to the Navy vs. Texas Cotton Bowl as well as the Notre Dame du Lac game following the 1969 season.)

At some point last year I posted a query about whether the LHN and whether they were, following up on the 1963 production, working on one for 1969. (Thankfully, they did.)  

As some of us CoVid eligible old farts will recall, UT won a National Championship in 1970 as well.  Naturally, I am again wondering if a production honoring the 1970 National Champions is now in the works.  I am fully aware that the 1970 NC is under a type of cloud because the Horns lost to the Irish in the Cotton Bowl.  However, both the UPI and AP named Texas the National Champs prior to the Bowl Games--as they always did back in those days.

45 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

You're really only a National Champion if you go undefeated.  Sorry, moose out front should have told you.

So, there was no national champion in 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2012, 2011, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2003, 1996, 1993, 1990, 1989, 1985, 1983, 1982, 1978, 1977, 1975, 1974, 1970, etc etc.

2 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’d say there is strong evidence that if 1970 Texas and Nebraska played 10 times, Texas would win 9. 

Well played.  Thread.

Posted (edited)

You're probably right.

Still doesn't change the fact that you let the fucking Irish come into your house and push you around

rudy.gif

Edited by mulletpelini
RUDY RUDY RUDY RUDY RUDY RUDY

Texas has had so many great teams and players I don't see why a documentary has to be limited to a National Championship.  

I would love to see some of DKR's great teams like 1961,  the team that many said was his best,  on a 1 hour documentary.  

The LHN has missed out on many opportunities to showcase the Horns history,  not only in football but all sports. 

10 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’d say there is strong evidence that if 1970 Texas and Nebraska played 10 times, Texas would win 9. 

The 1970 Texas team would have beaten 1970 Nebraska by at least 2 TDs. People forget that Nebraska struggled mightily with a 7-2-1 LSU team in the 1971 Orange Bowl.

16 hours ago, 1bigtx said:

Actually the polls split the championship with Nebrasky.

Don't forget those dipshits in Columbus claim 1970 as well from the National Football Foundation.

19 hours ago, n64ra said:

Don't forget those dipshits in Columbus claim 1970 as well from the National Football Foundation.

Does not matter. aggy claims many. NC champ in claiming NC's.

On 3/18/2020 at 10:44 AM, RC Horn said:

The 1970 Texas team would have beaten 1970 Nebraska by at least 2 TDs. People forget that Nebraska struggled mightily with a 7-2-1 LSU team in the 1971 Orange Bowl.

Is that the same 2 TD's that Texas got beat by ND with? SWC was brutal that year, 3 teams over .500 woohoo

SEC had twice that many.  LSU was 9-3 that year, not sure where the hell you pulled 7-2-1 from.  LSU lost by 3 to ND in SB that year, meanwhile Texas got railed at home by that same team.

good logic though.  Maybe Texas......just didn't want to be there?

Posted (edited)

I can say that having lived it, breathed it, 1970 certainly did not feel like a national championship to me.

Losing like we did to Notre Dame really dampened that season that saw us crush Arkansas and escape UCLA.

It was a great season except for that last game.

One of the great images from that Arkansas game when it was early and I am pretty sure Arkansas had just tied the game and had us pinned deep....and this happened from inside our own 10. He did not score but it was a nice long run that got us out of the hole and from there we crushed them.spacer.png

Edited by Steamboat1874
e

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Is that the same 2 TD's that Texas got beat by ND with? SWC was brutal that year, 3 teams over .500 woohoo

SEC had twice that many.  LSU was 9-3 that year, not sure where the hell you pulled 7-2-1 from.  LSU lost by 3 to ND in SB that year, meanwhile Texas got railed at home by that same team.

good logic though.  Maybe Texas......just didn't want to be there?

1970 Texas throttled OU 41-9 on a neutral field while NU squeaked by OU 28-21 in Lincoln.

We can both play that game. Except my example is fewer degrees removed. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

On 3/18/2020 at 5:43 AM, mulletpelini said:

You're probably right.

Still doesn't change the fact that you let the fucking Irish come into your house and push you around

Also doesn’t change the fact that we were awarded the national championship in 1970 and have the trophy to prove it. 

That's never been questioned.  Who wouldn't want a NC trophy that they backed into?  All the fans that left the Cotton bowl that day surely thought, "Well, we got our asses kicked, but we're still National Champions!"

In '84, when Nebraska was undefeated and got beat by Miami, my uncle said "Miami and Nebraska have the same record!  They both should be champions!"

My dad looked at him and said "You don't get to claim a championship when you lose the last game dipshit."

what are we in court?  you think I looked at every year to verify?  Who gives a fuck about 2017, I don't

1970 is specific, and you know why.  

Sorry about the mistake on LSU's record that year, I knew they went into the 1971 Orange Bowl with 2 losses(one of them being a loss to a 2 win aggy team). All I can say  is that the Coaches Poll(the ones who actually know the game of football)  gave us the MNC in 1970 while the jock sniffing AP Poll gave it to Nebraska.

Damn, just looked at that schedule.  First game was against Wichita State.  Less than a month after that loss to atm, one of the Shocker planes with 40 on board crashed in Colorado, slowly bleeding the program until it closed shop mid 80's

On 3/22/2020 at 6:31 AM, mulletpelini said:

That's never been questioned.  Who wouldn't want a NC trophy that they backed into?  All the fans that left the Cotton bowl that day surely thought, "Well, we got our asses kicked, but we're still National Champions!"

In '84, when Nebraska was undefeated and got beat by Miami, my uncle said "Miami and Nebraska have the same record!  They both should be champions!"

My dad looked at him and said "You don't get to claim a championship when you lose the last game dipshit."

That's because none of the polls' championships in 1984 were awarded until after the bowls.  I take it you mean the 1983 season, but Texas and Nebraska had a common opponent that year.  Guess who?  Texas won in fairly convincing fashion on a neutral field, and the score should have been worse.  Nebraska was one late 4th quarter forth-and-goal pass to Buster Rhymes away from losing to Oklahoma in Lincoln.  That pass was literally broken up by a fingertip.

I have had to listen to my Husker friends reminisce about how if Tom had only kicked the extra point against Miami, they would have won the MNC with a tie.  Well, if we could take away one coaching decision in our bowl game by not leaving the defense in for the punt when it was 4th-and-25, going for the 2-point conversion against Miami would have been mandatory for Saint Thomas, and Texas wins the MNC.

Posted (edited)

To correct my last post, the 1983 NU-OU game was in Norman, and OU was down by 7 on that 4th-and-goal. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

On 3/22/2020 at 6:31 AM, mulletpelini said:

You know damn well there's a difference between 1970 and 1984, and that's when during the season the Coaches' Poll voted a champion. It'd be one thing if Texas claimed a NC after the second to last Coaches' Poll, but they aren't. Texas fans entering that Cotton Bowl already knew they were champions. Exiting they surely thought, "Sucks we lost our bowl game and the AP title."

Yeah I'm sure they felt great.  Wooohooo.  Texas in '83 only wins if Nebraska loses.  If they tie that game with Miami, no way in hell Texas wins the MNC had they won their bowl game.

Either way, our teams fucked it all up, and let the fucking cheatin Hurricanes start a dynasty in the process.