2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

2 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

Voting for a third party is the same effect as just not voting at all. It isn't a vote against anyone. Yes, in this election, third party means that you are not voting AGAINST Trump but it isnt like you are voting FOR him.

That can’t be right. Any number of tortured syllogisms have laid out that even not voting is somehow voting for Trump. Voting 3rd party is obviously even voting MORE for Trump, because it’s voting.

15 minutes ago, Llogg said:

No matter how many names end up on the official ballot, there are only two possible outcomes in this election. Trump will win or Biden will win. No other possibilities have even the most remote chance of occurring. 

You can therefore frame the decision as a choice between change or no change. Voting for a third option is a vote for no change because that option can never happen. You either vote for change or more of the same. 

No matter how I vote on my ballot it will have no effect on any race on the ballot. It’s all mental masterbation. If My wishes mattered at all we wouldn’t have a trump presidency. 

6 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

That can’t be right. Any number of tortured syllogisms have laid out that even not voting is somehow voting for Trump. Voting 3rd party is obviously even voting MORE for Trump, because it’s voting.

Exactly!  Now you are doing it right. 
except you forgot to use profanity, call someone a Nazi or a shit for brains. 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

No matter how I vote on my ballot it will have no effect on any race on the ballot. It’s all mental masterbation. If My wishes mattered at all we wouldn’t have a trump presidency. 

Are you expressing frustration with the tyranny of the majority where you live or are you expressing a belief that the system is totally corrupt and voting is a sham? 

If the former, move. 

If the latter, join an armed rebellion or immigrate. 

6 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Are you expressing frustration with the tyranny of the majority where you live or are you expressing a belief that the system is totally corrupt and voting is a sham? 

If the former, move. 

If the latter, join an armed rebellion or immigrate. 

How about none of the above?  Elections aren’t decided by one vote. It’s all mental masterbation- for everyone grinding away over any vote of theirs. It doesn’t matter.  Seriously, do what makes you happy. Tour vote doesn’t matter. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

How about none of the above?  Elections aren’t decided by one vote. It’s all mental masterbation- for everyone grinding away over any vote of theirs. It doesn’t matter.  Seriously, do what makes you happy. Tour vote doesn’t matter. 

Serious question, roughly how old are you? 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m a man. I’m 42!  Prove me wrong. Show me a single election you ever voted in where it mattered how you voted. 

This logic is really, really bad. The logical extension is that nobody's vote matters, so if nobody voted then nothing would change. Which is, of course, obviously incorrect.

• Like 1

Just now, Huckleberry said:

This logic is really, really bad. The logical extension is that nobody's vote matters, so if nobody voted then nothing would change. Which is, of course, obviously incorrect.

No. That’s not logical. Come on man you are a super nerd With numbers. You know why I’m saying is and always will be correct for all of us. 

No. That’s not logical. Come on man you are a super nerd With numbers. You know why I’m saying is and always will be correct for all of us. 

Your last sentence is exactly why your statement is incorrect. You can't say that nobody's vote matters. You can't say to each individual person who votes that it doesn't matter whether they vote or not. The vote totals are a sum of individual votes.

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m a man. I’m 42!  Prove me wrong. Show me a simple election you ever voted in where it mattered how you voted!  

Middle school student council vice president. Voted for myself and won by one. 

But seriously that is dangerous thinking. The just one guy mindset allows you to drive a massive suv, eat steak 3 meals a day and throw golf balls at dolphins whenever you want. I mean you're just one guy, why does it matter that you keep your thermostat at 60 all summer? 

Edited by Llogg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Llogg said:

But seriously that is dangerous thinking. The just one guy mindset allows you to drive a massive suv, eat steak 3 meals a day and throw food balls at dolphins whenever you want. I mean you're just one guy, why does it matter that you keep your thermostat at 60 all summer? 

Aside from throwing things at dolphins being kind of weird, I don’t see the problem here.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Your last sentence is exactly why your statement is incorrect. You can't say that nobody's vote matters. You can't say to each individual person who votes that it doesn't matter whether they vote or not. The vote totals are a sum of individual votes.

I said your vote never has and never will matter. And that’s 100% true. Just as it’s true of me and everyone else on this board. 

3 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Middle school student council vice president. Voted for myself and won by one. 

But seriously that is dangerous thinking. The just one guy mindset allows you to drive a massive suv, eat steak 3 meals a day and throw golf balls at dolphins whenever you want. I mean you're just one guy, why does it matter that you keep your thermostat at 60 all summer? 

No. It’s not dangerous thinking.  It’s a dose of perspective that people need to have in their lives. 

48 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

In the past, I would have agreed with @Anastasis. In fact, I'll admit to expressing some of the same opinions. Not this time, not this election. 

Same. We can parse that stuff after we get Trump out. I had a a few big problems with the Obama administration. I actually voted third party in 2012 after voting for him in 2008 because of them. There will be a time for that, but it's definitely not any time between now and November. In as much as I think Anastasis would argue that being able to see the gray area in issues is a sign of maturity or intelligence, I would argue that prioritizing things properly is an even bigger sign.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

If a candidate wins by one vote, it’s not your vote that was the deciding factor. It was everyone’s. The election board doesn’t call you up and congratulate you on your tie breaking vote.

They don’t have to. They could if they wanted to.  
I’m sorry to be the one to tell you your vote is inconsequential. I assume you, like most people, will argue with this proposition and convince yourself that it has some greater meaning for society or the world but it doesn’t. I won’t argue any longer. It’s fine, really. 
continue to fire yourselves up about how voting for a third party is rally a quarter of a vote for someone and abstaining is a half a vote for someone different and blah blah blah. The truth is none of that matters. 

8 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

No keep arguing. I’m not making this deep or societal.

If you win an election 10,000 to 9,999, there will be 10,000 people saying their vote was the deciding factor, not 1.

Sure. And they will all be right. Not for their vote- their candidate wouldn’t have won. But elections aren’t decided by 1 vote. Nobody will be able to honestly say their vote made any difference to anyone other than themselves. 

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I said your vote never has and never will matter. And that’s 100% true. Just as it’s true of me and everyone else on this board. 

I know what you said, but the fact remains that you're wrong.

If I vote for a candidate who wins an election 200-100, my vote mattered. I was 0.5% responsible for that candidate's victory. You can't say that my vote didn't matter and was 0% responsible for the win, because that would have to apply equally to everyone who voted for the winning candidate. And if everyone gets 0 win shares, then the candidate doesn't win.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I know what you said, but the fact remains that you're wrong.

If I vote for a candidate who wins an election 200-100, my vote mattered. I was 0.5% responsible for that candidate's victory. You can't say that my vote didn't matter and was 0% responsible for the win, because that would have to apply equally to everyone who voted for the winning candidate. And if everyone gets 0 win shares, then the candidate doesn't win.

Who you vote for will never have any bearing on who will win the election you are voting in. Is that pedantic enough for you? 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Who you vote for will never have any bearing on who will win the election you are voting in. Is that pedantic enough for you? 

No, because it's still wrong. You can try to rephrase it however you want, but this isn't pedantry. Your entire concept is false.

A very small portion of something does not equal zero. That is the mental mistake you're making. A single vote's relatively small share of the credit for an election victory does not equal zero.

You can only say that my vote doesn't matter if you also say that ever single other vote doesn't matter. That is clearly false because if all voters for a candidate didn't vote, then that candidate would lose. This should be even more obvious with your newest phrasing.

Saying that who one votes for will never have any bearing on who will win the election is obviously incorrect. The vote is counted, and it adds one to the total. It clearly has some bearing.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Normally I would agree with the sentiment that my vote doesn’t matter so who cares. Hell in 2016 I was gonna write in a vote for Bernie because I live in Texas and my vote didn’t matter, until my daughter asked me to vote for Hillary anyway. Which I did because I can’t say no to her.

This election is different. If you don’t vote for Biden you are supporting the destruction of this country. You are a in fact a German in the 1930s.

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

In the past, I would have agreed with @Anastasis. In fact, I'll admit to expressing some of the same opinions. Not this time, not this election. 

I think that's what kills me the most.  He, and others like him, act like this is just another election.  It's not.  This is a new level of corruption, deceit, and destruction and they don't seem to get it.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

No, because it's still wrong. You can try to rephrase it however you want, but this isn't pedantry. Your entire concept is false.

A very small portion of something does not equal zero. That is the mental mistake you're making. A single vote's relatively small share of the credit for an election victory does not equal zero.

You can only say that my vote doesn't matter if you also say that ever single other vote doesn't matter. That is clearly false because if all voters for a candidate didn't vote, then that candidate would lose. This should be even more obvious with your newest phrasing.

Saying that who one votes for will never have any bearing on who will win the election is obviously incorrect. The vote is counted, and it adds one to the total. It clearly has some bearing.

Your note will never be determinative of who will win the election. 
The results of who win the election will never be changed based upon your vote. 
you can vote for whoever you want and it will not change who wins the election. 

that’s the point I was trying to make. And yes, you are being pedantic. You are correct- so I revised yet again and all three of my statements are true and what I’d suggest the common person would think of when determining whether or not their action mattered in any way. 

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think that's what kills me the most.  He, and others like him, act like this is just another election.  It's not.  This is a new level of corruption, deceit, and destruction and they don't seem to get it.

I was told trump was going to start a nuclear war and single handedly end the American way of life. It’s just another election dude. The world is going to keep spinning g either way it goes, and Trumps going to get beat. But the world will continue on if he does win (he won’t) either way. It’s not Nazi Germany. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I was told trump was going to start a nuclear war and single handedly end the American way of life. It’s just another election dude. The world is going to keep spinning g either way it goes, and Trumps going to get beat. But the world will continue on if he does win (he won’t) either way. It’s not Nazi Germany. 

Enjoy your trip man.  Sounds bucolic and blissful.

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Not yet.

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Bullshit. Most people like myself and Dave Chappell on SNL said they would support trump after he got elected. Then after that point he acted like the imbecile he’s acted like to this date. Your revisionist history is not persuasive. 

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

that’s the point I was trying to make. And yes, you are being pedantic. You are correct- so I revised yet again and all three of my statements are true and what I’d suggest the common person would think of when determining whether or not their action mattered in any way. 

All three of those statements are false.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Man I wish a few republican senators had your same views and decided to vote for Mickey Mouse instead of along party lines the last few years.

44 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Aside from throwing things at dolphins being kind of weird, I don’t see the problem here.

Millions of selfish assholes doing those things is contributing to the destruction of the planet. But they all get to avoid responsibility because their individual contribution is miniscule. But also, fuck dolphins. Dickheads of the sea.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Enjoy your trip man.  Sounds bucolic and blissful.

I ran my rv into a bridge. It ripped off the top. Everyone was fine. My response was to chuckle, shake my head, and laugh. Most of y’all wouldn’t respond that way. Most people would think 2-3 months in the shop is pretty major, but it’s not. Dust yourself off and move on. 
I’d the person who sits in the White House determines your success in life more than you do then you are doing it wrong. 
America is bigger than one person. If one person could ruin America then America wouldn’t be worth saving. There will come a day in the not to distant future (in 6 months or 55 months) when Donald trump isn’t predefined anymore and America will soldier on and people will continue to do what they do. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Bullshit. Most people like myself and Dave Chappell on SNL said they would support trump after he got elected. Then after that point he acted like the imbecile he’s acted like to this date. Your revisionist history is not persuasive. 

My father in law told me for months and years trump was going to end the world. Lots of people said that. I didn’t say everyone. 

12 minutes ago, Llogg said:

All three of those statements are false.

None of them are false dude. I dare you to go vote for Trump in November. Biden will still win. I promise. Or go vote third party. Biden will still win. Why?  Because Biden is going to win, regardless of who LLogg decides to vote for. Anything else is egotistical hubris. 

A vote matters to the person that casts it. Basic cognitive psychology. When you vote, you are bought into the outcome and you will be more likely to be active citizen -- consumer of news, concerned about individual and group impact, locally engaged, etc. The casual indifference that you have been advocating for lines up with that basic tenet of psychology. 

And if you don't think one person can really turbofuck things, I'd like you to google Craig Curry. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

A vote matters to the person that casts it. Basic cognitive psychology. When you vote, you are bought into the outcome and you will be more likely to be active citizen -- consumer of news, concerned about individual and group impact, locally engaged, etc. The casual indifference that you have been advocating for lines up with that basic tenet of psychology. 

And if you don't think one person can really turbofuck things, I'd like you to google Craig Curry. 

Wow a Craig curry reference. That’s tough one man. Put in a bad spot and fucked things up. Not really his fault. Bad beat for sure. Feel sorry for the guy. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Why are you struggling with this so much?

53 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

None of them are false dude. I dare you to go vote for Trump in November. Biden will still win. I promise. Or go vote third party. Biden will still win. Why?  Because Biden is going to win, regardless of who LLogg decides to vote for. Anything else is egotistical hubris. 

I just want to pile on: Evey post you've made on this page is utter nonsense. Be better my friend. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Its because they are ok with it. They just can’t admit it on this board.

• Like 1