Dallas City Hall

DFWTexEx

33 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Being an older native of Dallas, the changes in the definition of North Dallas are kind of amusing.

My Dad worked for TI down on Lemmon, then they opened up the huge complex on Central at LBJ in the 60s.  Everyone thought that was a heinous commute to far North Dallas.  The Y on Preston just north of Mockingbird was known for a while as the "Park Cities/North Dallas YMCA."

I'm not a native Dallasite, but I lived there long enough.  And I don't think the definition of "North Dallas" has really changed since the 1980's when I got there.

North Dallas is between Central and Inwood and anything north of University Park.

Far North Dallas is that arm of the City of Dallas that extends up into Richardson and Plano.  I think anything north of about Spring Valley is "Far North Dallas."

Edited by Ghost of LL

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Nothing below $60K. And even below $60K, in 2020, most every person’s income is taking a major hit. I don’t give a damn about municipal workers sharing in the pain. 

And no, they don’t make the city go. Government workers and attorneys have high opinions of each other. It’s weird. Your feelings are not rooted in reality. 

Your hardon for attorneys is amusing. Because if there's anything as useless as an attorney, it's a banker.

8 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm not a native Dallasite, but I lived there long enough.  And I don't think the definition of "North Dallas" has really changed since the 1980's when I got there.

North Dallas is between Central and Inwood and anything north of University Park.

Far North Dallas is that arm of the City of Dallas that extends up into Richardson and Plano.  I think anything north of about Spring Valley is "Far North Dallas."

Yeah, I think that's traditionally accurate.  

But from a more colloquial standpoint, if you tell someone that doesn't live in North Dallas that you live in North Dallas and are inside LBJ, they're gonna say "wut."

In the 80s, Plano hadn't acquired much separate standing from Dallas, and Addison and Richardson almost never have, although they are separate cities.  So that kind of shifted things northward a bit, maybe returning back now that Plano has its own identity, along with Frisco and points north.

• 7 months later...

Eric Johnson endorsed two lame horses in this election against incumbents. Going to be some awesome fireworks around the horseshoe soon.

Yolanda Williams is nuttier than squirrel poop. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/elections/2021/04/26/dallas-mayor-eric-johnsons-city-council-candidates-come-up-short-in-fundraising/

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I'm surprised no one chimed in on the recent city council election. Run off for a few spots is this Saturday!

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/we-recommend/2021/05/24/our-recommendations-in-the-june-5-runoff/

I don't like Jesse Moreno but Sana Syed is a total bitch for what she tried to do to Scott Griggs.

We've got an interesting race in District 13 between Leland Burk and Gay Donnell Willis, who are vying for Jennifer Staubach Gates's seat.

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2021/05/dallas-city-council-runoff-races-get-ugly/

I'm surprised no one chimed in on the recent city council election. Run off for a few spots is this Saturday!
https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/we-recommend/2021/05/24/our-recommendations-in-the-june-5-runoff/
I don't like Jesse Moreno but Sana Syed is a total bitch for what she tried to do to Scott Griggs.

What’s your beef with Jesse Moreno? Seems like an alright guy to me. And his shop makes great tamales.
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Blewett can pound sand though. Another Parkie in East Dallas clothing who’d sell out the neighborhood to make a dime.

What's Blewett's connection to the Park Cities.  Lynn McBee I'd grant you.

McGough's connection is razor thin. 

There hasn't been a real "Parkie" that actually got elected to the Council since Starke Taylor.

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

What's Blewett's connection to the Park Cities.  Lynn McBee I'd grant you.

McGough's connection is razor thin. 

There hasn't been a real "Parkie" that actually got elected to the Council since Starke Taylor.

I don't know that he's actually a Parkie.  It's just his vibe.  He's the old money, good 'ole boy, (White) Citizen's Counsel style of counsel member.  His big claim to fame is that he was a bench sitting football player at the time SMU got the axe, and he wrote a book about it.  He's a real estate developer, so he could give fuck all about neighborhood cohesion.  I have a good friend over on Richmond who looked up one day and there was an 8 story apartment building going in two blocks down right off Greenville.  After the neighborhood questioned the zoning and pushed back, their city counsel rep - Blewett - told them that "it was inevitable" and they should just reconcile themselves to this kind of growth around their part of town.  I'm not a fan of the Clayton Williams, "lay back and enjoy it" theory of governance.  I don't want East Dallas to become another uptown, which is what it would be if he had his way.  Fuck that dude.

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Hook 'Em 2

Congrats to Paul Ridley.

Eric Johnson is going to continue to live in his bunker for the rest of his term. He and DPD went 0-fer on their shitty endorsements.

Hope this council is ready to make some real progress on making Dallas being a 21st century live/work/play city instead of a tollway to Prosper.

• 8 months later...

Just read in the Observer that the city has voted to shut down sex oriented businesses (notably strip clubs) right at 2am. Seems like there was a bit of pushback and protest, but ultimately a unanimous decision to tamp down on crime. There was a report and data-driven analysis referenced that DPD provided about crime statistics and how this would cut down on crime. I'm not saying I don't believe it because I actually do, but I'd like to read that.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just read in the Observer that the city has voted to shut down sex oriented businesses (notably strip clubs) right at 2am. Seems like there was a bit of pushback and protest, but ultimately a unanimous decision to tamp down on crime. There was a report and data-driven analysis referenced that DPD provided about crime statistics and how this would cut down on crime. I'm not saying I don't believe it because I actually do, but I'd like to read that.

…if only to advise my out of town friends not to go.

On 2/8/2022 at 11:51 AM, TurkeyChew said:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, I'm sure now that he's switched parties in his non-partisan role as mayor that he's really going to jump right in and fix the massive homelessness problem that I see every day along my commutes of I-30, I-35, 635, and Downtown. I'm sure he'll sink tons of resources into getting right on that.  

• Like 1

Well, I'm sure now that he's switched parties in his non-partisan role as mayor that he's really going to jump right in and fix the massive homelessness problem that I see every day along my commutes of I-30, I-35, 635, and Downtown. I'm sure he'll sink tons of resources into getting right on that.  

9947bec594a8a158cfb243c071d3a8b1.gif