henrygandorf

"the right stuff" series, coming this fall on disney+

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

On what day do they post new episodes?  Been looking for a few days now, and I don’t see anything in the show details. 

@henrygandorf for almost an episode I thought your friend was Squeak from Baseketball. 

New episodes drop on Fridays. They started that with the Mandalorian and looks like that's what they will do for their originals.

2 hours ago, Capt. Squints said:

Read the book and watch the original movie adaptation several times. That's all you need to do. Fuck Disney.

it's a natgeo production.  disney is just airing it.

On 10/19/2020 at 2:58 PM, henrygandorf said:

it's a natgeo production.  disney is just airing it.

And it’s been awesome.  I was surprised at the little details they chased down.  

Just watched Ep 6. Really good, but I question the authenticity of the script now. This may be BASED on TRS, but it seems to be writing it's own story to fit within the history, if that makes any sense. They are taking a lot of dramatic license and I'm not sure I like that.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Just watched Ep 6. Really good, but I question the authenticity of the script now. This may be BASED on TRS, but it seems to be writing it's own story to fit within the history, if that makes any sense. They are taking a lot of dramatic license and I'm not sure I like that.

so tom wolfe’s account is purely historical?

16 minutes ago, futureman said:

so tom wolfe’s account is purely historical?

Yeah, this right here.

I mean, I haven't read the book (yet), loved the original movie, this one's pretty good. It's worth an hour/week of my time, is all.

Wife asked if John Glenn was the religious goody two-shoes All-American Boy Scout they are portraying him to be,  I was like "yup".  I've read that the behavior of the other astronauts used to piss him off.  They make him out to be more aggressive than the movie, but the dude had 6 Distinguished Flying Crosses and three MiG-15 kills in Korea.  Passive, he was not.

Several years ago, I asked a great-aunt about what she remembered (she was in Florida in the early 60s, and her husband worked for one of the NASA contractors), and she made a comment about the girls wanted to go out other astronauts, but Glenn was the one they'd want to bring home to mom and dad.

Just looked, Glenn was married to Annie for 73 years.  I cannot wrap my head around that.

On 11/7/2020 at 1:18 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Just looked, Glenn was married to Annie for 73 years.  I cannot wrap my head around that.

just imagine putting up with the stuttering for that long...

Anyway. Show is getting too much into melodrama. I'm still watching it because I'm a sucker for space, but...

19 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Anyway. Show is getting too much into melodrama. I'm still watching it because I'm a sucker for space, but...

Wow, you and @futuremanwere bitching at me for saying the same thing 2 weeks ago. What changed?

12 minutes ago, RPM said:

Wow, you and @futuremanwere bitching at me for saying the same thing 2 weeks ago. What changed?

...huh?

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

They are fibbing about Shepard's ear issue.  It didn't start until 1963.

That's just what they want you to believe!

32 minutes ago, RPM said:

scroll up

Those are two entirely different things. You seem to be questioning the authenticity, which was never in doubt... it's 100% dramatized for effect. What I'm saying is it's being too melodramatic, which isn't the same thing.

So all the melodrama is 100% authentic? I said they are gaming the story. You said they are gaming the story. I'm wrong, you're right. Jacksonville.

3 hours ago, RPM said:

So all the melodrama is 100% authentic? I said they are gaming the story. You said they are gaming the story. I'm wrong, you're right. Jacksonville.

I think John Glenn being Super Christian Boy Scout Moral Compass is pretty accurate - they even had the Ed Harris version yelling at the other astronauts to keep their wicks in their pants or something.  I'd forgotten this little exchange

I don't want anything to put this program in a bad light.

We have the opportunity of a lifetime and I'm sorry, but I won't stand by and let other people compromise the whole darned thing!

You know and I know this could lead to something very unfortunate.  

I'm talking about the playing around. that's going on.  I'm talking about the young girls.  I'm talking about the cookies.

I'm talking about keeping our pants zipped and our wicks dry.

Mr. Glenn, you are way out of line!  I advise you not to try to foist your moral views on anyone else in this group.

Each man here has volunteered to do a job.  Each man is devoting long hours of training and doing many things above and beyond the call of duty, such as morale tours of factories.

Such as bringing girls up to your room?  And forgoing any orderly family life.

Mr. Glenn, as long as a man uses good sense what he does with his wick is his own business!

I'm fine with the Mercury 13 stuff as background material - it was an actual thing, and Jerrie Cobb was actually considered for a part in the elderly astronaut thing that Glenn was in when he went up on the Shuttle (although it was more about getting John Glenn back in space).

And there were a number of actual divorces/drinking/cheating.

I'm not fine with Yeager being left out, but from what I've read, he'll be in season 2 - Season 1 focuses on Mercury, and that ended before he started the USAF Aerospace Research school or whatever, which the USAF setup to train its astronauts, and responsible for his infamous crash from the movie.  That would be a cool background subplot for the buildup of the Gemini program.

On 11/17/2020 at 4:47 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I'm fine with the Mercury 13 stuff as background material - it was an actual thing, and Jerrie Cobb was actually considered for a part in the elderly astronaut thing that Glenn was in when he went up on the Shuttle (although it was more about getting John Glenn back in space).

And there were a number of actual divorces/drinking/cheating.

I'm not fine with Yeager being left out, but from what I've read, he'll be in season 2 - Season 1 focuses on Mercury, and that ended before he started the USAF Aerospace Research school or whatever, which the USAF setup to train its astronauts, and responsible for his infamous crash from the movie.  That would be a cool background subplot for the buildup of the Gemini program.

I watched the 1983 film tonight, and I’m not sure why Yeager is in the back half of the movie. I think it would have worked better as a 2 hour movie. 

I’ll probably be in the minority here, but I’ve enjoyed the series more than the film. 

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I watched the 1983 film tonight, and I’m not sure why Yeager is in the back half of the movie. I think it would have worked better as a 2 hour movie. 

I’ll probably be in the minority here, but I’ve enjoyed the series more than the film. 

Yeager’s later timeline did not match the film, which is why it would make more sense to run it alongside Gemini in the TV series.  Plus some important people (Apollo) were in his school.  

They could even show where Chuck Yeager and Neil Armstrong got a fighter stuck on a muddy strip, when they were looking at X-15 landing sites.