Jump to content
stc

Live Musical Performance Reviews

Recommended Posts

A few photos. Being that close was almost a bad thing. All 3 guitars and bass are either being run into an iso cab or through a speaker emulator- there is zero amplified sound coming from the stage so I could hear the dry vocals and clanks of their pics hitting the strings.4370e09ffadb47e6d903fa8c699325be.jpg58510ba06c63c0b232c02674de4cb85a.jpgb58aecb9c6f854c0cf73e9dc45af3eb7.jpg744f77781613e415805b228c9c7f7b33.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those fuckers liked to change out guitars. On BC’s side of the stage I counted 14 guitars in the rack and he was playing another one so for 30 songs he had 15 guitars, and 5 or 6 of those songs he was either not playing or on a keyboard. I couldn’t tell if Iha had another rack on the other side from my garage point.  And yeah that drummer kicked all kinds of ass. I kept thinking about how good he sounded throughout the show until Today was up.  I always loved that song mainly for the amazingness and simplicity of the drum work, and live he added a bunch of frills that were just unnecessary, but that’s my bias speaking  technically what he did to that song was pretty fucking cool I was just looking to hear that simple drum hook.

And yeah I was surprised at how full it was considering I spent a week trying to organize my travel schedule to be in town for the show. I first checked if I could even get tickets, and a week later when I actually bought them I ended up with the same best available seats in section 36. So a week had gone by without anyone buying a ticket from the best available pile. When we showed up and it was ~70% full I was pleasantly surprised. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I talked to one of the techs before the show- he said they had 25 guitars between Jeff and Billy. James had his own on the other side of the stage. BC played a few of his signature Reverends for the early pumpkins material, his blue '74 strat and a black 70's strat for a lot of the siamese dream and mellon collie gear, an ES-335 for Tonight Tonight, and a Firebird for The Everlasting Gaze.

Guitar and drum pr0n:

 

Edited by SlingeroGuitaro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, this is a great thread... I need to get to more concerts.

To be fair, though, I imagined that it was about some sort of annual HR conversation set to music.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a full video of stairway and also bullet w butterfly wings. Will upload them later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caught the Pumpkins last night in Atlanta and echo everything above. It was far from sold out but I didn’t even know they were in town. Buddy called last minute with a ticket. I don’t think the tour is being promoted well enough at all. This is the “if you’ve ever liked SP at all this is the show to see” tour. They killed it for three hours.

Corgan is a massively underrated guitar player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was anybody else at Tyler Childers in Houston on Friday night? The sound out White Oak (inside) seemed way off, it was hard to hear any of the vocals, I ended up leaving early because of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lagunamadre said:

Was anybody else at Tyler Childers in Houston on Friday night? The sound out White Oak (inside) seemed way off, it was hard to hear any of the vocals, I ended up leaving early because of it. 

Yes, I was there.  Snagged a spot in the center balcony during the Wooks set.  Based on the line to get in and how packed it was inside, the show had to be oversold.  Looked like it was assholes and elbows down on the floor.   Loud, rowdy crowd who wouldn't shut the fuck up.  It sounded okay in the balcony but they needed to turn the volume up to hear over the crowd noise.  I thought Tyler was great.  That will be the last time we see him in a venue that small.  I was shocked at how country/redneck the crowd was and that they knew every word of his songs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, heinhorn said:

Yes, I was there.  Snagged a spot in the center balcony during the Wooks set.  Based on the line to get in and how packed it was inside, the show had to be oversold.  Looked like it was assholes and elbows down on the floor.   Loud, rowdy crowd who wouldn't shut the fuck up.  It sounded okay in the balcony but they needed to turn the volume up to hear over the crowd noise.  I thought Tyler was great.  That will be the last time we see him in a venue that small.  I was shocked at how country/redneck the crowd was and that they knew every word of his songs.

I was in the balcony as well and agree that the crowd noise was distracting. Maybe it was due to how packed it was, I've seen a handful of shows inside White Oak and I don't remember ever being disappointed with the sound quality. 

Agree on the crowd, you would have thought you were at a Toby Keith concert. I figured Childers would have had a more hipster following. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

 I was in the balcony as well and agree that the crowd noise was distracting. Maybe it was due to how packed it was, I've seen a handful of shows inside White Oak and I don't remember ever being disappointed with the sound quality. 

 Agree on the crowd, you would have thought you were at a Toby Keith concert. I figured Childers would have had a more hipster following. 

The sound is usually excellent inside.    I enjoyed his story about the last time he played Houston it was to a crowd of 5 people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, heinhorn said:

The sound is usually excellent inside.    I enjoyed his story about the last time he played Houston it was to a crowd of 5 people.

Agreed. Enjoyed seeing this instagram post from Childers as well. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lagunamadre said:

Was anybody else at Tyler Childers in Houston on Friday night? The sound out White Oak (inside) seemed way off, it was hard to hear any of the vocals, I ended up leaving early because of it. 

I was there, as well.  Sound quality and their AC system both sucked.  Will happily see him play elsewhere.  Childers is legit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw the LSD tour at White Oak Music Hall last night. It was a blast. My only criticism might be that they played too many hits too fast.
942f81102f4626345b588eed561bdb8b.jpg
ff0afdeb232c77e2adc1d0c548e569dd.jpg
e30ed69057080ed55261c21e4e243186.jpg
3cbb0e1220e3fb1810d4f849983b52d4.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw STP, Bush and The Cult last night in Bham. STP seems to be doing good with the replacement lead singer, although they were a little less dynamic as the other two plus they got their set cut short by a thunderstorm moving through the venue. They probably had another 5 songs left to play. Bush was easily the highlight of the entire show, other than some thinning hair, Rossdale seems to have not aged at all. He even did an entire crowd walkthrough during one of their songs,even up in our cheap seats. Some slightly overweight(not Vic territory) chick nearly bowled me over, trying to get next to him. The Cult is still in good form. Seems like they are rotating the order they play, at each stop. They were in the orderI just recounted, last night. There was an actual opening act, one I had never even heard about but they seemed to be pretty good, sounded kinda like a Black Keys ripoff, called The Dirty Hooks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pearl Jam - The Home Shows 8/10/18

Pre-show - The atmosphere around the stadium was amazing. The fact that PJ had not played Seattle in over 5 years really had the whole city pumped. We got into the PJ Wishlist Foundation pre-show party, and I won a show poster from the 2016 Wrigley Field shows in a raffle. Between that and a few drinks, I was buzzed and ready for the show.

Show Time - Amazing 36, 3 1/2 hour show full over special guests, covers and deep cuts. Tributes to Tom Perry and Chris Cornell.  

At one point, Kim Thayil from Soundgarden, Steve Turner and Mark Arm from Mudhoney were all on stage with PJ. That means on stage was;

100% Pearl Jam

83% Temple of the Dog

80% Green River

50% Mudhoney

50 % Soundgarden

40% Mother Love Bone

This trip was a 50th birthday gift to myself, it was like the soundtrack of my life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was up there too.  Night 2 was pretty amazing.  Almost booked a trip to Wrigley this weekend but flights were crazy and I've seen them there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Say what you want (and I know you will) but Shinedown and Godsmack killed tonight. All the pyro and lasers. Shinedown’s Simple Man is legit and had me choked up thinking about my boy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Say what you want (and I know you will) but Shinedown and Godsmack killed tonight. All the pyro and lasers. Shinedown’s Simple Man is legit and had me choked up thinking about my boy.

Seen both, different concerts. Both groups do put on a good show. Saw Shinedown as the lead act with Chevelle, Puddle of Mudd, Sevendust and 10 Years. Saw Godsmack in an all day show, including Disturbed, Megadeath, Trivium and a few others I can't recall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2018 at 10:38 AM, bamachine said:

Saw STP, Bush and The Cult last night in Bham. STP seems to be doing good with the replacement lead singer, although they were a little less dynamic as the other two plus they got their set cut short by a thunderstorm moving through the venue. They probably had another 5 songs left to play. Bush was easily the highlight of the entire show, other than some thinning hair, Rossdale seems to have not aged at all. He even did an entire crowd walkthrough during one of their songs,even up in our cheap seats. Some slightly overweight(not Vic territory) chick nearly bowled me over, trying to get next to him. The Cult is still in good form. Seems like they are rotating the order they play, at each stop. They were in the orderI just recounted, last night. There was an actual opening act, one I had never even heard about but they seemed to be pretty good, sounded kinda like a Black Keys ripoff, called The Dirty Hooks.

I waa at the show too.  Largely agree. I was there mostly to see bush and they played really well.  They’re always high energy and are great. That said, to me, the biggest surprise was the cult. Thought they sounded great. I had no expectations for them, and was blown away.  They were really great. Ian’s voice sounds exactly like it did in the 80’s which really shocked me. 

Thought STP was fine, but clearly not as dynamic as they were with weiland. New guy does a nice job, but it’s just not the same. I’d say they’re about 80% of what they once were. Still a great catalog and the new guy does fine, but cleverly doesn’t have the range nor presence weiland had, few do. 

Grear show overall.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Say what you want (and I know you will) but Shinedown and Godsmack killed tonight. All the pyro and lasers. Shinedown’s Simple Man is legit and had me choked up thinking about my boy.

Shinedown is great live. Brent’s voice is freaking amazing live.  Guy just effortlessly kills it.  Their stripped down version of simple man is must see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2018 at 11:23 AM, RiverwalkMiner said:

Pearl Jam - The Home Shows 8/10/18

Pre-show - The atmosphere around the stadium was amazing. The fact that PJ had not played Seattle in over 5 years really had the whole city pumped. We got into the PJ Wishlist Foundation pre-show party, and I won a show poster from the 2016 Wrigley Field shows in a raffle. Between that and a few drinks, I was buzzed and ready for the show.

Show Time - Amazing 36, 3 1/2 hour show full over special guests, covers and deep cuts. Tributes to Tom Perry and Chris Cornell.  

At one point, Kim Thayil from Soundgarden, Steve Turner and Mark Arm from Mudhoney were all on stage with PJ. That means on stage was;

100% Pearl Jam

83% Temple of the Dog

80% Green River

50% Mudhoney

50 % Soundgarden

40% Mother Love Bone

This trip was a 50th birthday gift to myself, it was like the soundtrack of my life. 

I went to the Missoula, Montana show on Monday night. They didn't play 30 some songs but the energy was off the charts. The venue and setting were great. One of the best shows of my lifetime. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slayer's show on their farewell tour is great. The lineup is incredible. Napalm Death and Testament did their stuff well, although it's hard to get any energy when you're screaming death and thrash metal to a crowd baking in the summer afternoon sun. Anthrax brings great energy as always; the past ten years or so with Joey Belladonna have upped their game considerably. Lamb of God was better than usual. Randy Blythe was jumping around like a maniac and the band was very tight.

Slayer played a great set. I'm glad they played When the Stillness Comes as the only down-tempo song because that song kills. The set list was like a retrospective look through their catalog, but tilting towards older stuff. The pyro was great, especially the flames shooting to make inverted crosses. There was absolutely no crowd banter. I think Tom Araya spoke to the crowd maybe 3 times. And no encore. They just came out and played brutally until the end. Being outside and seeing lightning begin to flash in the distance as they played Hell Awaits and South of Heaven is a definite concert highlight. I'd go see it if you get the chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2018 at 2:24 PM, 4th&Five said:

Missoula in ‘12 is my top PJ show. Great city. I think the effort it takes to get there adds to the energy. 

Jeff being a Montana dude and alum really adds to it, I would think. The euro shows from the summer have sounded great on Sirius/XM. Excited to hear these shows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David Byrne at Red Rocks was spectacular. Did a good job of making it interesting with a very minimal stage set up. Never seen anything quite like that. He also sounded great and had a ton of energy for a 66 year old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gary Numan at Mohawk last night was great. Such a great catalog if you know his stuff past Cars. I find it a bit amusing to see those olds that show up expecting a set of 80s new wave and they don’t know 90% of his career has been doing goth/industrial. Highly recommended even if you’re not a fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I attended the Buddy Guy taping for Austin City Limits tonight. He played an incredible show... still an amazing performer as far as musicianship and showmanship are concerned.4845a71c2c0aeae6478a188b8c2e0de1.jpg

 

Photo credit @acltv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got back from the 2nd night of Nine Inch Nails at Red Rocks. That’s a heck of a venue and was well worth the trip. It’s so scenic it looks fake. NIN brought it and played some songs that haven’t been played in a long time...Happiness in Slavery, Burn, I’m Afraid of Americans, Eraser, etc. The first night they played The Perfect Drug for the first time ever. Showtime was moved up due to rain coming this way so Jesus and Mary Chain played a short set. Tobacco took the night off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

eraser, would love to see that one. seeing them saturday in san antonio but it's at a festival so i'm thinking there may not be any deep cuts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

went to river city rockfest in san antonio to see nine inch nails. caught a couple other bands as well:

bush- they were bush...so not that good. 

primus- they've been playing their entire new album on this tour, but since they only had an hour time slot they stuck to the old stuff, which was awesome. very good set. they were only able to play half of jerry was a race car driver before they got cut off. 

stone temple pilots- was like watching stp karaoke. the new guy was trying way too hard to sound exactly like scott weiland and also have the same stage presence. i found him very annoying. 

nine inch nails- the perfect drug, mr self destruct, happiness in slavery, i'm afraid of americans...very happy with that set. their drummer is a fucking beast. the songs off the new trilogy albums sounded really good live as well. amazing how consistently awesome their live show is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liz Phair at Mohawk. This was just phenomenal. Such a great set list and show. I have never seen a more enthusiastic crowd absolutely in love with an artist before. It exceeded all expectations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I caught the 2nd night of Nick Lowe at Antone's on Wednesday.  He was backed by the Straight Jackets.  Jimmy Vaughn opened for him.  Nick was fantastic.  I should have skipped Jimmy's set.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2018 at 11:24 PM, KaiserSoze said:

I attended the Buddy Guy taping for Austin City Limits tonight. He played an incredible show... still an amazing performer as far as musicianship and showmanship are concerned

I feel very lucky to have seen him at Antone’s in ~’94

Edited by nolongerU2horn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First time seeing The Decemberists last night at Bass CH. Really, really good show. My wife's a big fan & other friends that have seen them before highly recommend them. Fun night & tight performance. But man the opening act (acoustic duo from Saskatchewan) were trippy odd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
First time seeing The Decemberists last night at Bass CH. Really, really good show. My wife's a big fan & other friends that have seen them before highly recommend them. Fun night & tight performance. But man the opening act (acoustic duo from Saskatchewan) were trippy odd.
Isn't Kelly Hogan in the band on this tour? I love her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tx gentlemen at justine's last night. they did a lot of jamming and it was excellent. got some grateful dead vibes on a few tunes. crowd was small and very energetic...there was an honest to god dance off that happened. really enjoyed the opener too, rattlesnake milk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...