Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Shaka Edition

cdain3

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Italian East Coast basketball player decides to go to Nova? No waaaaay

Well, I think it has more to do with the fact that the pitch is coming from a defending national champion coach with an exciting, guard-oriented offense, but that didn't help either.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Italian East Coast basketball player decides to go to Nova? No waaaaay

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Well, I think it has more to do with the fact that the pitch is coming from a defending national champion coach with an exciting, guard-oriented offense, but that didn't help either.

Gonna slide right into DiVincenzo's spot. 

So, both?

That's a really big blow... none of the other grad transfer names mentioned even fit our needs.  Even if Roach comes back, we're going to have a really hard time getting the floor spaced unless some of our shooters really improve dramatically next year. 

19 minutes ago, RabidM said:

That's a really big blow... none of the other grad transfer names mentioned even fit our needs.  Even if Roach comes back, we're going to have a really hard time getting the floor spaced unless some of our shooters really improve dramatically next year. 

Once it came out that he was visiting Nova and Kansas, I didn't expect us to land him. Certainly would've been nice but pretty unlikely.

• Like 1

OB War Room - 

(From McComas)

It’s relatively early in the 2019 recruiting cycle, but soon coaches will have their priority lists in order as they make a push for potential commitments. We’re not too far away from July, which often results in top players coming out with lists before scheduling official visits in the fall. Based on my intel, I think this is the group, at least right now, that Texas fans should follow closely:

Everyone in the country is seemingly prioritizing Stewart, but the Longhorns have a real chance here. They’ve established a good relationship early, already received an unofficial visit, and their track record and usage recently of big men really resonates with Stewart. This is going to be one of the most recruited players in the country with top programs from all over doing their best, but there’s a feeling the Longhorns are capable of beating anyone for his services and are in a good early position.

Baker’s recruitment is interesting because over the last few months I’ve heard multiple schools were out in front for him. At one point, it was Texas, then recently it was Texas A&M, and now last week UCLA was the school mentioned to me. A very skilled big man that can step out and shoot the three, film school could be a big draw for Baker, which makes UCLA and that area appealing. It’ll be interesting to see how he plays this summer, and which programs continue to pursue him aggressively. Baker strikes me as someone that’s torn, and always evaluates recruiting differently than your average five-star.

After seeing him multiple times in Dallas, I can say that McDaniels is the real deal, and the Longhorns were very smart to get in on him early – Darrin Horn made an in-home visit before the first live period – and offer him. The sky’s the limit for the 6-9 wing/forward that can get buckets at all three levels and is very comfortable with the ball in his hands.

Okoro is another wing that is in the tier just below five-star status currently, and is mostly being recruited heavily by schools in his region. A physical and very athletic player that is a force in transition, Okoro is one of the most productive players on the Nike EYBL circuit. He’s averaging 16.4 points (56.1 percent from the floor), 7.8 rebounds (including a game with 14), 3.9 assists, 1.0 steals, and 1.1 blocks.

You like shooters? Williamson is your guy. As we’ve mentioned recently, he has deep family ties to Kansas, but the Jayhawks have yet to really prioritize him and aggressively recruit him. Texas has done an in-home visit, and Williamson mentioned to OB he wants to try to get down for a visit soon. Kansas will be tough to beat if it wants him, and after seeing him in person, I think he could end up being a top 30 player nationally. However, if Kansas fills up with other options, the Longhorns could be a real player.

Another skilled, tall, productive wing/forward that can make plays with or without the basketball.

A recent offer, Gantt is a very active and physical combo forward with developing skill. He’s already a key target for some regional programs.

Notice a trend? Withers is another tall, physical, wing/forward that can really shoot the basketball from deep. From what I’ve heard, some people in attendance during the second live period thought he was the best player in Atlanta. That’s high praise, and it explains why Texas immediately offered him after it watched him. Like McDaniels, there aren’t a ton of top high-majors deep in on Withers right now, and this is an opportunity for Texas to establish a presence and go to work.

The Longhorns spent a lot of time evaluating and recruiting Agbonkpolo, and recently the offer came. West Coast teams are involved, but considering the early work Texas did, it should be a real factor in this recruitment.

The buzz surrounding Hampton is he’s either going to be a member of the 2019 class, or he’s going to jump straight to the NBA if the rules change. Texas, specifically Jai Lucas, has been recruiting the super-talented point guard forever, and the Longhorns have received multiple unofficial visits already. But it’s going to be tough to beat the likes of Kansas and Duke.

At the combo guard spot, Beverly can really fill it up as a scorer, especially from beyond the arc. A native of Michigan, the Spartans are thought to be in a good early position. (McComas)

As always, these lists change as more information is available, offers are made, and players emerge. I’d also keep an eye on players like Avery Anderson, Jahmius Ramsey, and Sama’zha Hart.

Is missing out on the NBA Draft Combine beginning to have an impact on Kerwin Roach II’s decision-making process? A source that was confident in the beginning that Roach wouldn’t return to Texas no matter what believes the reality of the lack of NBA attention might be making an impact. Most connected people remain unsure and consider this a “toss up” situation, but as more time passes and the NBA attention isn’t heavily incoming, Texas’s chances of getting back an integral piece could be growing. If Roach does decide to still remain in the draft, it would be a decision made with little to no NBA direct feedback, barring a change, and the indirect feedback from NBA people is telling him to go back to school. (McComas)

Nice, Rising recruiting for the BBall team too.  Good on him.

Now what the fuck is Shaka doing for next season?  Is our plan to hope that Roach decides to come back and develops a consistent jumper?  Losing Cremo sucks, but we need to be looking high and low for someone who can at least provide outside shooting prowess.  

19 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Now what the fuck is Shaka doing for next season?  Is our plan to hope that Roach decides to come back and develops a consistent jumper?  Losing Cremo sucks, but we need to be looking high and low for someone who can at least provide outside shooting prowess.  

Jake Smith

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RabidM said:

Are you under the impression the staff isn’t doing that? Are there dozens of these guys looking to move?

I don't know how many grad transfers there are, but there are supposed to be over 200 transfers available from various programs.  We haven't heard about any transfers visiting since Cremo... so, I have no idea what the fuck the staff is doing. 

30 minutes ago, RabidM said:

I don't know how many grad transfers there are, but there are supposed to be over 200 transfers available from various programs.  We haven't heard about any transfers visiting since Cremo... so, I have no idea what the fuck the staff is doing. 

Likely means Roach is returning. No scholarship room if Roach is returning and Jones is still on scholarship. 

I brought this up today. The staff has pretty much gone silent in terms of grad transfers. Probably a pretty good sign they think Roach is leaning towards coming back. 

Once Roach didn't get a combine invite that's when Texas went dead silent on the transfer market. Total guess, but I'm betting those two things are related. 

Edited by texasstrong12

http://barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?link=y&sIndex=21&minGP=5&cvalue=grads&year=2018&minmin=0&top=351&start=20171101&end=20180501

Also, Texas isn't going to find a grad transfer that can light it up. Cremo was about the only option. 

Here's the available grad transfers that were volume shooters (over 100 3s in a season) that shot better than Roach last year (.361% from 3). Cohee .385% from 3 and Stull .379% from 3. That's it. Both of those guys are small school guys with deficiencies in other areas. It's not like they are substantially better shooters than Roach either. 

Cremo was the best option from a shooting perspective. After that the next best option was really Roach and Ramey (.392% from 3 his SR in HS).  Something people don't realize is Roach was actually a pretty good shooter once he returned from his broken wrist. Shot 41% from 3 in the final 17 games of the season. Can that be sustainable over a full season? No clue, but 41% 3 point shooter would have been top 50 in the nation last year. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

IT on Will Baker:

WILL BAKER 

It seems Tom Herman and Texas football aren't the only program on campus making moves with elite prospects. Shaka Smart and Texas basketball hosted 2019 Austin Westlake 5-star Will Baker on Wednesday. While Baker -- who recently played with the U-18 Team USA squad -- has suitors like North Carolina, UCLA, and Kansas, it appears staying close to home is in the cards.

Mo Bamba's selection in the NBA draft on Thursday marked the third consecutive year Smart and Darrin Horn had a big enter the league as a lottery pick. This success is not lost on the hometown product.

On the heels of his visit we feel confident on the big southpaw choosing Texas and a commitment could happen sooner than later. Stay tuned.

41 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT on Will Baker:

Reveal hidden contents

WILL BAKER 

It seems Tom Herman and Texas football aren't the only program on campus making moves with elite prospects. Shaka Smart and Texas basketball hosted 2019 Austin Westlake 5-star Will Baker on Wednesday. While Baker -- who recently played with the U-18 Team USA squad -- has suitors like North Carolina, UCLA, and Kansas, it appears staying close to home is in the cards.

Mo Bamba's selection in the NBA draft on Thursday marked the third consecutive year Smart and Darrin Horn had a big enter the league as a lottery pick. This success is not lost on the hometown product.

On the heels of his visit we feel confident on the big southpaw choosing Texas and a commitment could happen sooner than later. Stay tuned.

He's not listed on the current U18 roster.  Hepa is, and yet Hepa is not a 5 star and Baker is.  Somebody clue me in.

On 6/25/2018 at 10:06 AM, Machinator said:

IT on Will Baker:

Hide contents

WILL BAKER 

What Smart coached big was a lottery pick in 2016?

1 minute ago, TtomTerrific said:

any shot of the Longhorn greats without TJ Ford in the front center is misaligned. 

I think that's just a normal picture of the Durant-era team, and he's MUCH more relevant for younger folks.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 2