2021 Houston Rockets Offseason Thread - May the Lottery Balls be in Your Favor

BigOrange1

PLUSES
  • He’s a dancer on the low post. He has unbelievable footwork, doesn’t predetermine his moves, and he can finish through tons of contact using either hand from difficult angles. He lives at the free throw line.

• Sets strong screens and finishes at a high level on rolls to the rim thanks to his good hands and feel. He’ll use spins, fakes, and pivots to create space off the bounce. He can also finish loudly if he has space to leap.

• Excellent passer with the upside to be an offensive hub. He facilitates from the post, the elbows, and even brings the ball up the court. 

• Untapped shooting potential: He shot nearly 80 percent from the line this past year and has good touch around the rim.

• Heat-seeking missile as an offensive rebounder.

• Good on-ball defensive potential if his athleticism improves in the pros. He has fluidity but needs to work on his technique.

• Active off-ball defender. His hustle and spirit are major positives when projecting forward as he continues to hone his fundamentals and discipline.

MINUSES
  • He’s a nonshooter right now, but he has potential if he changes his mechanics—he has inconsistent footwork and it looks like his off-hand might be affecting his shot. 

• He’s undersized as a true center so it might be a challenge for him to battle on the post against larger bigs.

• What is his position defensively? His slow feet and lack of verticality and length hold him back, meaning he’ll need to learn to be a positional defender.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The Rockets gave up the heavily protected Detroit and Washington picks. Both were not likely to convey anytime soon.

Yeah those look to me to be a 2024 and a 2025 pick, neither being in the lottery. Seems like a solid trade for a dude most ‘experts’ assumed would be gone by then…

6 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

dude, why do you give so much of a shit about the current roster?  there are 3 players who matter on it: green, kpj and now sengun.

And two of those guys are the primary guards on the team. So you want to take a guy that is going to get no playing time while the Rockets develop Green and Porter?

Stone really did well with his first NBA draft. Morey who?

And I suspect that there will be some trade activity once free agency opens up.

The Rockets have a really young nucleus of players: 19 (Garuba), 19 (Sengun), 19 (Jalen Green), 19 (Josh Christopher), 21 (Kevin Porter Jr). 

Edited by UDontKnow

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Stone really did well with his first NBA draft. Morey who?

And I suspect that there will be some trade activity once free agency opens up.

The Rockets have a really young nucleus of players: 19 (Garuba), 19 (Sengun), 19 (Jalen Green), 19 (Josh Christopher), 21 (Kevin Porter Jr). 

20 (Kenyon Martin), 26 (Jae'Sean Tate), 26 (Christian Wood)

I wonder who else besides the 4 draft picks are playing in the Rookie League. For sure, Martin will, but I doubt Tate or Porter do, but they probably should.

Edited by HtownHorn

26 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Rockets won the draft for sure.

I think Sengun's floor is Enos Kanter, which is pretty solid. 

Because they're both Turkish? Kanter would be terrible. Granted the Rockets got him for cheap, but need Sengun to evolve into a defensive stalwart.

35 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

20 (Kenyon Martin), 26 (Jae'Sean Tate), 26 (Christian Wood)

I wonder who else besides the 4 draft picks are playing in the Rookie League. For sure, Martin will, but I doubt Tate or Porter do, but they probably should.

garuba might not be as he's playing in the olympics.  would love to see porter play.

John Hollinger on Alperen Sengun

I have him fourth on my board. So you asked about analytics and Europeans before – the one thing that’s been super-consistent is, guys who destroy a good European league as teenagers, the fail rate is zero. Those guys all turn out to be players. You go back to Toni Kukoc, those guys aren’t going to miss.

Also, ESPN's Kevin Pelton had Sengun as his #1 prospect.

Seems like his basketball IQ is off the charts and if can develop a little more athleticism into his body it was a HR pick for Stone.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

Funny how we're pretending John Wall has retired.

Every game he plays for the Rockets is one more game they aren't developing their core. Just tell him to sit at home and collect his pay checks. Maybe pride will set in and he will accept a buyout. I'd do the same thing with Gordon.

PG - Porter, Augustin

SG - Green, Brooks, Christopher

SF - Tate, Martin, Christopher

PF - Martin, Garuba

C - Wood, Sengun

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Every game he plays for the Rockets is one more game they aren't developing their core. Just tell him to sit at home and collect his pay checks. Maybe pride will set in and he will accept a buyout. I'd do the same thing with Gordon.

PG - Porter, Augustin

SG - Green, Brooks, Christopher

SF - Tate, Martin, Christopher

PF - Martin, Garuba

C - Wood, Sengun

"Ay, Mr. Ferttita... We're gonna pay John Wall $47M to sit at home."

"You're fired."

• Haha 2