Scifi/Fantasy Book Recs

Hellraiser97

On 5/21/2021 at 8:47 AM, Llogg said:

I saw those Howey books in the bookstore a while ago and was curious but didn't pull the trigger. Anybody recommend them? I'm a big Abercrombie and Steven Brust fan for fantasy stuff and Alastair Reynolds and Kim Stanley Robinson for harder sci fi stuff if that gives an indication of whether I'd like it.

Like hornian said, it's an easy read - post-apocalyptic humanity living underground.  It's got a few clever little twists.

I'm really surprised that somebody picked it up to make a big series out of it.  It's not that it's dated or anything, and it's certainly a different take on post-apocalyptic living compared to the other big TV shows (such as the Walking Dead).  In the right hands, it could be a great thriller.

On 5/16/2021 at 8:05 PM, atomheartbevo said:

A friend is reading R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt Do'Urden books (Dungeons and Dragons stuff) starting with the Dark Elf trilogy (and not Icewind Dale) and is passing them along to me as he finishes, as he knows I'm playing some D&D games with friends.

I had really not read any of those novels (had read a few other D&D novels), but I'm actually pretty impressed, given that those books were some of Salvatore's earliest, they move along at a pleasant pace with fantastic world-building with solid characters.

I guess I was a bit biased - I just assumed most of those novels were extremely pulpy/mass-market.  I can't speak for his other work though, and it definitely helps that I'm into D&D - there's things here and there that were definitely meant for the tabletop fans.

I've read the first 10-12 books or so of Drizzt series and enjoyed them.  I got sidetracked when I discovered Sanderson and Warhammer/W40k.  After I'm done with the current W40k series I'm reading; I think I might finally restart Drizzt.  Though I find it daunting as there are 30+ books now which is why I keep putting it off.

On 5/27/2021 at 2:21 AM, Keflex said:

I've read the first 10-12 books or so of Drizzt series and enjoyed them.  I got sidetracked when I discovered Sanderson and Warhammer/W40k.  After I'm done with the current W40k series I'm reading; I think I might finally restart Drizzt.  Though I find it daunting as there are 30+ books now which is why I keep putting it off.

Just a side note, there's some weird shit going on with Wizards of the Coast and DND novels, particularly with the Dragonlance novels, like WOTC is wanting out of the novel business somewhat, and only licensing for a few projects.

Anyways, last year, Salvatore wrapped up the Generations trilogy, which tied up some loose ends and expanded on the early years of Menzoberranzan and some of Drizzt's family.  

He's got another trilogy, starting in August, and he's basically expanding the Drow universe with more groups that worship other gods (some of which have been referenced in other Forgotten Realms novels already).  

Basically: After 30+ novels, Salvatore has mined the Menzoberranzan Drow for all its worth, so now he's creating other Underdark groups.

I'm going to skip a shitload of those older novels because I just don't have time, and go from Crystal Shard/Dark Elf trilogy to Generations, and then the new trilogy.  

I'm actually intrigued to see him apply his talents to world-building for these other groups, because I just can't do 30+ novels revolving around one character.  

On 1/22/2019 at 8:49 PM, Grippe said:

Popped your cherry eh?  Try these:

• The Forever War: Joe Haldeman
  • Old Man's War: John Scalzi (it's a short series)

Try Armor by John Steakley.  

Edited by Jhawkmvp
  • Hook 'Em 2

Books I have read recently that I would recommend that I have not seen mentioned here:

Battle Mage by Peter Flannery. Epic Fantasy. Mankind fighting a losing battle versus demons. Stand alone.

The Witcher Books by Andrzej Sapkowski. The Witcher video games and TV show were adapted from these collections of short stories and a couple novels by a Polish author. Easy reading in short bursts.

Fatemarked series (completed - 5 books) by David Estes. Fantasy. Completed.  Certain people are born with skin markings that mark their special powers. Will these powers be enough to fight back an invasion of inhuman monsters or will their prejudices and hatreds of each other stand in the way.

The Kharkanas Trilogy (2 of 3 completed) by Steven Erikson. If you liked the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, you will want to read this prequel dealing with the Tiste, Mother Dark, Draconus, Anomander, Andarist, and Silchas Ruin. 

The Bees (novel) by Laline Paull. If you liked Watership Down by Richard Adams, then you will probably like this book. 

The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon. Scifi. Autistic individual is given a chance to be "cured", but would he still be himself? How would he be changed?

12 hours ago, Jhawkmvp said:

The Kharkanas Trilogy (2 of 3 completed) by Steven Erikson. If you liked the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, you will want to read this prequel dealing with the Tiste, Mother Dark, Draconus, Anomander, Andarist, and Silchas Ruin.

They announced that third book is “paused” so I’m not picking it up until that one it completed.

I read both main stories (the 10 books one and the 5 book one), but taking a break before jumping into the other trilogy showing the rise of the Empire.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Jhawkmvp said:

The Witcher Books by Andrzej Sapkowski. The Witcher video games and TV show were adapted from these collections of short stories and a couple novels by a Polish author. Easy reading in short bursts.

I love this series, such a well developed world and so much humor.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2021 at 9:45 AM, WBT said:

51AWMwHe9rL._SY346_.jpg

I enjoyed this one.  He's largely going back to The Martian well with a lone guy in space that has to problem solve and figure stuff out but there are some new twists.

Just bought this on my Kindle. Really enjoyed The Martian.  Came here to see the chatter on it. 

Edited by CycleTex87

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2021 at 6:27 PM, CycleTex87 said:

Just bought this on my Kindle. Really enjoyed The Martian.  Came here to see the chatter on it. 

Listened to this one recently and can enthusiastically recommend.  The premise was original and plot well done.  If my physics teachers and profs could lay it out like this guy, I might have made better than a C.

• Haha 2

On 6/11/2021 at 1:41 PM, TKthunder2 said:

Reading The Phlebotomist and enjoying picking up a lot of local flavor from brunt orange colors to grackles.  Bravo good sir.

Dude that's awesome! And well spotted. Yeah I got a special place for grackles.

On 6/23/2021 at 2:54 PM, Bama Llama said:

Listened to this one recently and can enthusiastically recommend.  The premise was original and plot well done.  If my physics teachers and profs could lay it out like this guy, I might have made better than a C.

I'm glad this one is turning out well. ARTEMIS was a trash fire.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 4:35 PM, Keflex said:

Anyone read Warhamemr 40k?  I've read the Eisenhorn and Ravenor books which I loved.  I'm not into the table top games, but love many of the computer games that have come out over the years based on the IP.

Currently reading the Gaunt's Ghosts series. 

The Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies were quite good. Have reread both several times. I’ve tried some of Abnett’s other stuff and didn’t like it as much. I’ve read both Pariah and Penitent from his new Bequin trilogy. They seem to be taking a long time setting up what could be a dramatic finale. Depends where he wants to go with it. 

Eisenhorn, corrupted as ever, remerges to fight against Ravenor as an Elizabeth Bequin clone created by the congnitae locates one one of the lost primarchs. Cherubael, the traitor legions and most of the original characters are there too though the first two books have a more whodunnit type of feel with nice reveals at the end. 

On 5/21/2021 at 8:47 AM, Llogg said:

I saw those Howey books in the bookstore a while ago and was curious but didn't pull the trigger. Anybody recommend them? I'm a big Abercrombie and Steven Brust fan for fantasy stuff and Alastair Reynolds and Kim Stanley Robinson for harder sci fi stuff if that gives an indication of whether I'd like it.

Big Alastair Reynolds fan here, surprised no one has mentioned Iain M Banks.  He died a few years ago but his books are great. Anyone who likes hard sci-fi/ space opera owe it to themselves to have a look. Start wherever you like, Hydrogen Sonata, Matter, Excession,or Player of Games whatever,  hard to go wrong imho.

Culture series very good and gotta love ship names. the Culture Eccentric ship The Mistake Not… (Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath) 

At a completely different pace, I enjoyed Stephen Baxter’s Flood and sequel Ark

• Hook 'Em 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/16/2021 at 10:29 AM, Treefidy said:

Big Alastair Reynolds fan here, surprised no one has mentioned Iain M Banks.  He died a few years ago but his books are great. Anyone who likes hard sci-fi/ space opera owe it to themselves to have a look. Start wherever you like, Hydrogen Sonata, Matter, Excession,or Player of Games whatever,  hard to go wrong imho.

Culture series very good and gotta love ship names. the Culture Eccentric ship The Mistake Not… (Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath) 

Second this. 

Just finished Ready Player 2.  Saw a lot of people bitching about the book so I put it off for a bit, so maybe I was going into it with lower expectations but I really enjoyed it.  Yes it’s a little derivative of RP1 but it worked and continued the story in an interesting way.  My only complain was how he wrote the dialogue and motivations for Art3mis/Samantha but it was a minor complaint.  Haters going to hate I guess.

Hey guys, my second novel, STRINGERS, is available for pre-order now. It's a SF comedy. And you guys will be super happy to know it is full of dicks. Placeholder cover right now, final to come soon.

Ben isn’t exactly a genius, but he has an immense breadth of knowledge. Whether it’s natural science (specifically the intricacies of bug sex), or vintage timepieces, he can spout facts and information with the best of experts. He just can’t explain why he knows any of it. Another thing he knows is the location of the Chime. What it is or why it’s important, he can’t say.

But this knowledge is about to get him in a whole heap of trouble, as a trash-talking, flesh construct bounty hunter is on his tail and looking to sell him to the highest bidder. And being able to describe the mating habits of Brazilian bark lice won't be enough to get him out of it.

https://www.amazon.com/Stringers-Chris-Panatier/dp/0857669621/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1629303180&sr=1-1 

• Hook 'Em 4

On 7/16/2021 at 10:29 AM, Treefidy said:

I'll have to try Iain M Banks. I pretty much only read Alistair Reynolds lately because all other scifi just seems boring in comparison. The last scifi book I read that blew my mind the way Reyonds does was Blindsight by Peter Watts.

Hey guys, my second novel, STRINGERS, is available for pre-order now. It's a SF comedy. And you guys will be super happy to know it is full of dicks. Placeholder cover right now, final to come soon.
Ben isn’t exactly a genius, but he has an immense breadth of knowledge. Whether it’s natural science (specifically the intricacies of bug sex), or vintage timepieces, he can spout facts and information with the best of experts. He just can’t explain why he knows any of it. Another thing he knows is the location of the Chime. What it is or why it’s important, he can’t say.

But this knowledge is about to get him in a whole heap of trouble, as a trash-talking, flesh construct bounty hunter is on his tail and looking to sell him to the highest bidder. And being able to describe the mating habits of Brazilian bark lice won't be enough to get him out of it.
https://www.amazon.com/Stringers-Chris-Panatier/dp/0857669621/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1629303180&sr=1-1 

Cool beans! Remind us when it gets closer to release date.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/12/2021 at 7:27 PM, CycleTex87 said:

About 2/3’s through it. Interesting premise. The science is enjoyable. The flashing back and forth as the main character regains himself is pretty contrived at first and gets better. The sidekick is interesting, implausible and moved the story along nicely. 

A nice follow up to the Martian in my opinion. Maybe a bridge too far, but an enjoyable read anyway.  Especially once the plot gets moving. 

1 minute ago, Grippe said:

Frontlines by Kloos next!

I downloaded Deathtrap and started it but I can nab that too. I'm a 15 mins before bed sci fi reader when I'm not jamming audio books on long trips. Hyperion started out pretty heavy so I came back here and saw that rec lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 9:37 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Andy Weir, the author of The Martian, has a new book out called Hail Mary.  It's a combination end of the Earth and first contact.  I thought it was good, but not as good as The Martian.  No potato farming in it, but lots of sciencey stuff.  Quite a bit more far fetched than The Martian.

Just finished it, pretty great book. Some really cool ideas explored add the Eridians are real cool

21 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Be careful going deeper into the series though, you have to really be a fan to follow through the later books. They aren't as good as the first.

Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune are all good.

Heretics of Dune, Chapterhouse Dune, Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune not so much, but it’s worth it to finish the original storylines.

Never read any of the prequel, side story bullshit Herbert’s son put out.

On 9/16/2021 at 8:56 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Michael Jordan was a pretty good basketball player too

I wasn't in love with it. I'm glad I read it and it was well done obviously, but it's one where I feel like I can read a Wikipedia article to find out what happens and not feel the need to finish the rest of the series.

Not quite deserving of a TV thread yet, as we still have probably a year before set pics/teasers/etc., but some of you might find this interesting.

I actually think this is a sci-fi book that could be adapted fairly well to TV.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/09/22/rashida-jones-david-oyelowo-join-cast-of-apple-tv-original-wool

Apple recently signed Rashida Jones and David Oyelowo to the cast of upcoming Apple TV+ dystopian series "Wool," adding to a list of big names already attached to the production.

Jones and Oyelowo join Tim Robbins and Rebecca Ferguson in the show based on Hugh Howey's New York Times bestselling "Silo" series, reports Deadline.

"Wool" takes place in a ruined world where people are forced underground to survive. The story revolves around a community living in a silo that goes hundreds of stories into the earth.

Spoiler

Oyelowo will play Holston, the Silo's sheriff, while Jones is set to play his wife Allison. Allison works alongside Ferguson's character the silo's IT department, which is headed by Bernard (Robbins).

"Wool" will be penned by Emmy-nominated screenwriter Graham Yost ("Band of Brothers," "Justified") and directed by Academy Award nominee Morten Tyldum ("Defending Jacob," "The Imitation Game"). Ferguson, Yost, Tyldum and Howey will executive produce alongside Remi Aubuchon, Nina Jack and Ingrid Escajeda.

That's a pretty damned strong cast (Ferguson coming on strong in SF the past few years) and crew - written by somebody who wrote for Band of Brothers and Justified.

• 3 weeks later...

His latest trilogy could perhaps be a mixed bag for folks who have read his other works: he revisits a lot of areas from his first trilogy with new characters intermingled with a few old ones (/no spoiler).  For some it might feel run on but I actually enjoyed it - he's clearly continuing to refine his skill as a writer.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished my full re-read of the Stormlight Archives including the novellas and twice through Rhythm of War it’s just as good as ever.  Going to re-read Warbreaker and Elantris now, fucking Sanderson can just take my money.

Thanks for the call out of the Abercrombie books, I’ll tackle those next.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/10/2021 at 10:58 PM, TKthunder2 said:

Just finished my full re-read of the Stormlight Archives including the novellas and twice through Rhythm of War it’s just as good as ever.  Going to re-read Warbreaker and Elantris now, fucking Sanderson can just take my money.

jesus.fucking.christ. Holding off re-reading this series until I'm old as fuck and retired.

The Stormlight Archive This series is planned to run to ten novels. The fifth book is tentatively planned for release December 2023, with the sixth to follow after the completion of the third era of Mistborn novels in the late 2020s.[31]

• 4 weeks later...

Hey you guys-- here's a link to my next novel. Sort of Hitchhiker's meets Red Dwarf meets a butt plug. Tor.com just did the cover reveal and it has links to pre-order. If you are in the buying mood, I suggest the print version. There is some fun formatting that plays best on paper. 

https://www.tor.com/2021/12/07/cover-reveals-stringers-by-chris-panatier/ 

• Hook 'Em 2

Finished Leviathan Falls (Expanse book 9) the other day.  Definitely a wrap up that's going to take a few more days to process - sometimes I'm thumbs up, sometimes I'm only slightly thumbs up (the epilogue, however, I'm full thumbs up with no hesitation).  I find that while I understand both the plot/moral/message and the culmination of said plot/moral/message I sometimes feel the final book wasn't as suspenseful/captivating as the earlier installments. 

It's almost as though you could anticipate what was going to happen not because of simple things like foreshadowing but because it could only work out that way (logic?).  I'm wondering if any of y'all have finished it and what your thoughts on it are.  Could use some bookfag/club thoughts from the group - some different perspectives over things I might be missing I guess.

2 hours ago, Grippe said:

Finished Leviathan Falls (Expanse book 9) the other day.  Definitely a wrap up that's going to take a few more days to process - sometimes I'm thumbs up, sometimes I'm only slightly thumbs up (the epilogue, however, I'm full thumbs up with no hesitation).  I find that while I understand both the plot/moral/message and the culmination of said plot/moral/message I sometimes feel the final book wasn't as suspenseful/captivating as the earlier installments. 

It's almost as though you could anticipate what was going to happen not because of simple things like foreshadowing but because it could only work out that way (logic?).  I'm wondering if any of y'all have finished it and what your thoughts on it are.  Could use some bookfag/club thoughts from the group - some different perspectives over things I might be missing I guess.

I have also finished it. 

I liked it, but it’s not the best book in the series. However, it really worked and you could tell that the authors had a plan from the get go an stuck to it. 

What I mean is that the story started with everyone on their own. Amos (at the time Timmy) in Baltimore living the churn; then all of the main characters on the Cant, then becoming the crew of the Roci. They added people over time (Bobbie, Peaches), who died off in earlier books. The final book brought the main 4 crew all together for a last ride; then each had their own fitting end - Holden being alone(ish) and doing what had to be done, Alex getting to be with his son/grandson, Naomi probably going to lead Sol system, and Amos being the literal last man standing. 

As far as the story, I liked Duarte’s big-bad character, I liked learning more (but not all) about the builders, and some (but very little) about the dark gods. You could figure out what the final end game was several books back (rings being shut off, humanity being scattered), but the how it got there was a good ride. I wasn’t a huge fan of the Laconia colonel or really even the whole forced crisis to get Holden to shut off the rings, but I don’t have any ideas how to have gotten to the logical end any better. 

All things consisiderd, they stuck that landing, which is hard to do on a series like this. There are. A few minor loose ends, and I’ll read the final novella when it comes out next year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Hey you guys-- here's a link to my next novel. Sort of Hitchhiker's meets Red Dwarf meets a butt plug. Tor.com just did the cover reveal and it has links to pre-order. If you are in the buying mood, I suggest the print version. There is some fun formatting that plays best on paper. 
Is this the second book you revealed after the first? Or a third?

On 12/11/2021 at 1:43 PM, Modessit said:
On 12/7/2021 at 12:12 PM, THUJONE said:

Is this the second book you revealed after the first? Or a third?

This is my second novel that will be published. It is a stand alone and unrelated to the first one.