wild_turkey

Switching electric providers

I left griddy and switched to a month to month plan last week.  Change happened overnight, so I only got gouged with 1 day of crazy pricing because I wasn't paying attention.  I had been with them for just over 6 months, and the savings over that time outweigh what I got hit with.  I plan on switching back to them when the temps start subsiding.  It's so easy to do.

On 8/17/2019 at 8:10 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Good news, no contract you can still leave. 

I ended up averaging $12.8/kWh all in even with the crazy high days. You can get a better long term rate still, but I'm curious how this next month will go. 

5 hours ago, luke duke said:

453b01d91f5c772114a2f479516bd3f2.jpg

I’m at $0.072/kWh so far for September.

did you change your electricity usage behavior more than usual in the past few weeks or months this summer?

did you change your electricity usage behavior more than usual in the past few weeks or months this summer?

I changed my usage a bit during the price spikes.

I just signed a 6 month contract with Texans Energy for $.8/kWh. 

Well that is based 1000 kWh. I'm usually under 1000 kWh and that rate is $.85/kWh.  Most rates I see look pretty good until I notice they are all priced at 2000 kWh, which suck because I will never use that.

On 9/13/2019 at 1:18 PM, mycox said:

I just signed a 6 month contract with Texans Energy for $.8/kWh. 

Well that is based 1000 kWh. I'm usually under 1000 kWh and that rate is $.85/kWh.  Most rates I see look pretty good until I notice they are all priced at 2000 kWh, which suck because I will never use that.

The rates are always advertised at 1k or 2k, depending on the website. Always check the EFL. No one advertises the rate at 500-999 because generally they're always super high. 

The electric providers have some pretty smart people who understand how to make a bad contract look good, and they have more time on their hands than you.  It’s also a bad idea to choose a company that advertises on TV constantly as you have to cover that cost.  See TXU and Reliant.

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

You're going to be sorry when the virus reduces the population by half and there's an electricity price war.

I could have had a 6.2 cent plan but it would have been 3 months and expiring in mid summer.  8.8 seems pretty, pretty, good.

3 hours ago, zork said:

just signed up for one of the houses on a 3 yr, 8.8 cent plan via power to choose .org:

https://signup.chariotenergy.com/Home/EFl?productId=25814 is the EFL for the plan.

if you go to chariot energy .com use the promo code:

ptc

to get the deal.

BTW, it is a 100% solar plan.

I don't see that rate even with the promo code. I see 10.3¢ 9.7¢ 9.5¢

7 minutes ago, mycox said:

I don't see that rate even with the promo code. I see 10.3¢ 9.7¢ 9.5¢

I live in oncor territory in dfw.  I called in late afternoon today because I couldn't get the code to work.  8.8 cents flat rate, but is after you average in the basic monthly fee averages in.

go here:

https://chariotenergy.com/

click signup button in upper right corner

put zip code in and ptc in the discount code.

i get/got two options:(maybe it is different where you live?)

chariot choice 3 and chariot choice 36

without that ptc code it was much higher.

In my Houston zip, the best I’m seeing for chariot is 10 cents before the monthly fee. Which isn’t bad when I priced out plans last month. 

Posted (edited)
On 9/19/2019 at 10:34 AM, SydneyCarton said:

The rates are always advertised at 1k or 2k, depending on the website. Always check the EFL. No one advertises the rate at 500-999 because generally they're always super high. 

all they're doing is gaming power to choose, which only has settings for 500, 1000, and 2000, with nothing in between.  at least now there's an option to get rid of the $100 rebate for hitting 1000 plans. 

still on griddy, seen a couple minor spikes with the warm weather the last two days.  griddy has a flaw in that, while your price is set every 5 minutes, your meter is read every 15.  so, you could set your smart home to turn everything off when the rate peaks and still get dinged.  for example, assume during the first 10 minutes of a 15 minute period, the price was 0/kwh, so you had everything on and used 3 kwh.  the last 5 minutes, the price jumps to $9/kwh, and everything gets shut off so you use no electricity.  well, your meter didn't say when you used that 3 kwh, so it assumes you used 1 kwh for each of the three periods, and you get charged $9 even though you consumed no electricity when it wasn't free. 

Edited by elfenix

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

all they're doing is gaming power to choose, which only has settings for 500, 1000, and 2000, with nothing in between.  at least now there's an option to get rid of the $100 rebate for hitting 1000 plans. 

still on griddy, seen a couple minor spikes with the warm weather the last two days.  griddy has a flaw in that, while your price is set every 5 minutes, your meter is read every 15.  so, you could set your smart home to turn everything off when the rate peaks and still get dinged.  for example, assume during the first 10 minutes of a 15 minute period, the price was 0/kwh, so you had everything on and used 3 kwh.  the last 5 minutes, the price jumps to $9/kwh, and everything gets shut off so you use no electricity.  well, your meter didn't say when you used that 3 kwh, so it assumes you used 1 kwh for each of the three periods, and you get charged $9 even though you consumed no electricity when it wasn't free. 

I know? Those three tiers are required by the PUC, my man. It's definite gaming.

Enjoy griddy while you can. I'm not sure they'll be around this summer. But that's just my opinion. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Those three tiers are required by the PUC, my man. It's definite gaming.

are they though? 

i shopped it a few weeks ago using my actual usage and, even with all the cruddy pricing last august and september, griddy still came out ahead. 

might switch to 100% wind, though. (i know, i'm only using whatever comes into the mix in the houston power grid which isn't a whole lot of wind).

Edited by elfenix

7 minutes ago, elfenix said:

are they though? 

i shopped it a few weeks ago using my actual usage and, even with all the cruddy pricing last august and september, griddy still came out ahead. 

might switch to 100% wind, though. (i know, i'm only using whatever comes into the mix in the houston power grid which isn't a whole lot of wind).

Yes. There's a reason every EFL shows 500, 1000, and 2000. It's not an accident, and it's not collusion. You don't think everyone would show different rates at prices to get a leg up against competition if they couldn't?

I didn't say Griddy wasn't a great option for you. I said they might not be around. This is definitely the time of year for Griddy, though. October-April. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

There's a reason every EFL shows 500, 1000, and 2000. It's not an accident, and it's not collusion. You don't think everyone would show different rates at prices to get a leg up against competition if they couldn't?

i thought it was just because powertochoose only had those to drop down from.  and yes, i know it's a gov website (iirc started by the city of houston under bill white).  i don't recall the EFL showing prices for those 3 tiers, and that's the only thing i'm for certain is required from a regulatory standpoint.

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I didn't say Griddy wasn't a great option for you.

not every response is a retort.

Edited by elfenix

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

i thought it was just because powertochoose only had those to drop down from.  i don't recall the EFL showing prices for those 3 tiers, and that's the only thing i'm for certain is required from a regulatory standpoint.

not every response is a retort.

No, sir. If that were the case you'd see something else on the websites of individual electricity companies, and you don't. It's required by the PUC. 

Not every response is a retort? 

giphy.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=5193502

For any of you that want to switch to Griddy and make both of us $50.

http://ssqt.co/medZvPZ

Be aware that the electricity market is a bit volatile in March because a lot of power plants are down for their spring outages.

about to switch on Monday.  Had a 3 year plan juts expire and of course they don't notify you but rather just put you some shitty plan that was double my last rate.

Also, be sure to unlock your credit stuff before trying to sign up or they think you are a poor and want a $350 deposit up front.

I may end up going with Chariot energy or there was one more on the powertochoose.org that had the same rate.