Nintendo Switch

Deej

Finally pulled the trigger and bought a switch. Of course I got BOTW to go with it. The wife apparently never played any of the zelda games, so she bought the pack with all the old school mario games in 3D. I'm definitely enjoying this, and just in time to quarantine because everyone in the house has caught the 'rona.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

That's excellent since I skipped the WiiU entirely.  I believe the reviews were pretty mixed on Skyward Sword though if I'm not mistaken.

It was originally released on the Wii - people didn't love the motion controls of the Wiimote, because most of them weren't doing it right. 

Nintendo said they will have 2 options for the Switch version - using the joycons with motion control or you'll be able to use the joycons docked or a pro controller  and you'll use the left and right sticks to control the sword/shield. 

Personally, I loved the story and that game had some of the most creative dungeons, but it is frustratingly linear and your companion holds your hand a bit, compared to BOTW.  Hopefully they made SOME tweaks, such as when you discovered an item, it would tell you all about the item each game session.  It didn't seem to register that you had encountered it playing 2 days ago. 

Yeah, it's $60 and there will be (separately) pretty cool Zelda-themed joycons (perfect timing, as I need new joycons but my pro controller is sufficing for most of my docked play).  I think this is the tip of the Zelda 35th anniversary, as the Direct yesterday didn't really hit on anything for the 2nd half of 2021 and they've re-trademarked Twilight Princess, Majora's Mask and Windwaker, so maybe there will be an anniversary pack like they did for Mario. 

Edited by Js1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just finished BOTW today and the DLC. Might be in my top 5 games of all time, at first I was kinda meh but I realized midway through that it was a masterpiece. What should I play next?

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

20 hours ago, iodeac said:

Just finished BOTW today and the DLC. Might be in my top 5 games of all time, at first I was kinda meh but I realized midway through that it was a masterpiece. What should I play next?

Not like BOTW at all in terms of open game play, but my wife and I have been enjoying Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity.  It's a fun hack n slash version of Zelda.

13 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Not like BOTW at all in terms of open game play, but my wife and I have been enjoying Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity.  It's a fun hack n slash version of Zelda.

If you've ever played Dynasty Warriors, it's the Zelda version of that.

On 7/25/2021 at 6:55 PM, iodeac said:

Skyrim is a little like BOTW. 

Hades is fun. Smash bros and Mario kart are musts. 

I also really enjoyed final fantasy xii and dragon quest xi. Mario golf is supposed to be good

On 2/18/2021 at 8:46 AM, Js1 said:

It was originally released on the Wii - people didn't love the motion controls of the Wiimote, because most of them weren't doing it right. 

Nintendo said they will have 2 options for the Switch version - using the joycons with motion control or you'll be able to use the joycons docked or a pro controller  and you'll use the left and right sticks to control the sword/shield. 

Personally, I loved the story and that game had some of the most creative dungeons, but it is frustratingly linear and your companion holds your hand a bit, compared to BOTW.  Hopefully they made SOME tweaks, such as when you discovered an item, it would tell you all about the item each game session.  It didn't seem to register that you had encountered it playing 2 days ago. 

Yeah, it's $60 and there will be (separately) pretty cool Zelda-themed joycons (perfect timing, as I need new joycons but my pro controller is sufficing for most of my docked play).  I think this is the tip of the Zelda 35th anniversary, as the Direct yesterday didn't really hit on anything for the 2nd half of 2021 and they've re-trademarked Twilight Princess, Majora's Mask and Windwaker, so maybe there will be an anniversary pack like they did for Mario. 

I would probably fill my pants if they went back and updated the original and a link to the past and put them in a pack. 

Not a full refresh, but update the graphics and a few other visuals. Things like that. Actual game play, levels, locations, etc would be the same. Just talking about visually. 

Not that I don’t love those anyway, but something like a special anniversary type deal.

Could be fun, and not to mention they would make a fucking killing.

Of course code would also benefit from it as they could make it native vice using emulation for the originals like they do now.

Also, on the topic of reviving things, Dragon Warrior, Dungeon Magic, Wizardry, and even Shadowgate would be fun.

6 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Also, on the topic of reviving things, Dragon Warrior, Dungeon Magic, Wizardry, and even Shadowgate would be fun.

They're remaking dragon warrior 3 and will probably do 1 and 2 afterwards

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/05/dragon_quest_creator_teases_possible_hd-2d_remakes_of_the_first_two_games

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely loved BOTW. I have bought just about every Nintendo platform there is just for Zelda, and I think this one was the best one yet. Hyrule Warriors absolutely fucking sucks. Just button mashing. Same shit every time

Edited by Fat Bastard
Autocorrect

So we're still rocking the Wii -  kids love it and all, but my 8 year-old is wanting some newer stuff, as am I.

I mention it to my wife, she pulls the "sell some of your old stuff and get some of it out and buy the Switch then".  She's currently on a kick with the kids about not bringing new stuff into the house unless some old stuff goes, and it's absolutely fair because the kids get spoiled by grandparents, plus we have a bunch of stuff currently in storage, including my big-ass video game collection, that needs to be dealt with in some way.  I'm probably pushing a thousand carts, plus dozens of 2600 consoles, plus Coleco, Intellivision, 5200, 7800, etc.

So I look up a few prices on eBay - my copy of Custer's Revenge should pull in $200 easy.  I've got a few other old 2600 carts that are $50 - $100+

So I tell her I can sell 5-6 2600 cartridges and get a Switch and a handful of games.  She was thinking I would sell a few boxes of stuff and kill two birds with one stone, not a handful of carts.

Her response:

Angry Ncis Los Angeles GIF by CBS

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Man, I'd hang on to the more collectible stuff and maybe get rid of the less collectible junk. Also, buy BOTW. That and maybe Mario Cart should do you for a while.

I've been hanging on to it for 25 years, I would buy up entire bags/boxes of the stuff at garage sales in the 90s when parents were cleaning out their kids 80's video game collections.  I always planned on a mancave to display it all, but kids have put that out to pasture.  I'm going to hang on to some, like one of each console along with the top 25 or 50 most popular games or something.

I should have been buying all of the G I Joe and Star Wars stuff that I saw at the time.  My kids' college tuition would be paid for.

• 4 weeks later...

Any tips on setting up the two consoles we have so that when I buy a game online that both systems have access to play the game?  I think it has something to do with linking family accounts and making one a primary and the other a secondary on each title.  I know the secondary has to be on the network to play the game but the primary can be offline (car camping, etc) and still play the game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking at getting this for my kids for Christmas.  They are 8 and 6.  We would want to be able to play stuff like Mario Kart on the tv as a family plus for them to be able to each play the handheld version in the car or trips.  Does this mean I need to buy the main Nintendo Switch console plus 2 of the Nintendo Switch Lites?  Or just one Lite?  How does it work with games sharing between the console and the Lite?  TIA

57 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Looking at getting this for my kids for Christmas.  They are 8 and 6.  We would want to be able to play stuff like Mario Kart on the tv as a family plus for them to be able to each play the handheld version in the car or trips.  Does this mean I need to buy the main Nintendo Switch console plus 2 of the Nintendo Switch Lites?  Or just one Lite?  How does it work with games sharing between the console and the Lite?  TIA

If you want to play on the TV, you need at least one regular Switch.  The older can play the regular handheld and the younger could play a lite.  For a family of 4, you will need to buy 2 more joycons so everyone can play on the tv.  At that point, you may as well just buy 2 regular switches 

Here’s a thing about how to play the same digital game on 2 switches: https://venturebeat.com/2019/09/23/nintendo-switch-lite-guide-how-to-share-digital-games/amp/

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

If you want to play on the TV, you need at least one regular Switch.  The older can play the regular handheld and the younger could play a lite.  For a family of 4, you will need to buy 2 more joycons so everyone can play on the tv.  At that point, you may as well just buy 2 regular switches 

Here’s a thing about how to play the same digital game on 2 switches: https://venturebeat.com/2019/09/23/nintendo-switch-lite-guide-how-to-share-digital-games/amp/

Thank you!

On 7/26/2021 at 3:16 PM, MillerEP said:

Only BOTW like game I know of is Immortals Fenyx Rising from Ubisoft.

Grabbed Immortals this past weekend. Currently $24 on Nintendo Store. Definitely worth it. Fun game with tons of content spread out over a huge map. I've probably already sunk 15 hours into it and have just scratched the surface. I imagine you could put 100+ into it if you wanted to play completionist.

Sharing games on two switches isn't as straight forward as it should be, particularly with the profiles that hold the save games. The secondary switch also must be able to connect to the internet when starting the game, it has to verify that the primary switch isn't already running the game.

If you want two switches to play Mario Kart against each other, you have to buy the game twice. Things like that.

On 10/27/2021 at 4:27 PM, Deej said:

Thanks for the price gouge on the shitty N64 emulations Nintendo. Lots of lag and no ability to remap the controller to make them more playable. 

I didn’t notice much lag playing ocarina of time but yeah they really made it so you’d want to buy the 64 controller