Nintendo Switch

Deej

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

Don't know shit about gaming systems these days - but wife wants me to buy my 7 going on 8 year old a Switch for his birthday this summer.  Personally I would prefer a PS5, but without the NCAA FB game being a real thing and the current prices, I think this makes more sense.  This would be his first gaming system and he has very little experience with them.  Was thinking about getting the following, does this seem reasonable?   This is all from Amazon - but should I look elsewhere or need to buy anything else like controllers or anything?

Nintendo switch with red and blue controller and 128 gb memory card $320 

Mario Kart 8 $55

Mario Party Superstars $55

Switch Sports $50

Definitely worth getting a wireless controller. The joy-cons that attach to the system are great for playing mobile, but when you've got it docked to a TV, it's much better to play with a traditional controller. The "official" one costs $69, but you can get a perfectly good knock off for $25 on Amazon. I have the one linked below.

https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Controller-Wireless-Gamepad-Joystick/dp/B086YHLK58/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3C2M0VA89B6J4&keywords=nolansend+switch+controller&qid=1651858375&sprefix=nolansend+switch+controller%2Caps%2C105&sr=8-3

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Definitely worth getting a wireless controller. The joy-cons that attach to the system are great for playing mobile, but when you've got it docked to a TV, it's much better to play with a traditional controller. The "official" one costs $69, but you can get a perfectly good knock off for $25 on Amazon. I have the one linked below.

https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Controller-Wireless-Gamepad-Joystick/dp/B086YHLK58/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3C2M0VA89B6J4&keywords=nolansend+switch+controller&qid=1651858375&sprefix=nolansend+switch+controller%2Caps%2C105&sr=8-3

Wireless controller? Absolutely. Male sure it has the gyros in it or some shit will be inaccessible unless you pick it up out of the dock with the joycons attached. 

Did that for a while and it sucked. 

Also, get 2 so you have a spare. 

7 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Don't know shit about gaming systems these days - but wife wants me to buy my 7 going on 8 year old a Switch for his birthday this summer.  Personally I would prefer a PS5, but without the NCAA FB game being a real thing and the current prices, I think this makes more sense.  This would be his first gaming system and he has very little experience with them.  Was thinking about getting the following, does this seem reasonable?   This is all from Amazon - but should I look elsewhere or need to buy anything else like controllers or anything?

Nintendo switch with red and blue controller and 128 gb memory card $320 

Mario Kart 8 $55

Mario Party Superstars $55

Switch Sports $50

Check Target, Sometimes they have a deal where you get a bundle or get a Target gift card with the purchase of the system that you can use towards a game.

Kart is a must, we don't have the others.

Zelda is great, I loved it.

13 year old daughter liked Splatoon

Girls liked the Animal Crossing game (collecting stuff and building up your island) but I could see boys leaving that one.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Enchubben said:

but wife wants me to buy my 7 going on 8 year old a Switch for his birthday this summer.

I would consider the OLED version (newer, more space, better display/battery), and get your memory card separate (they are cheap), but it depends on your budget.

• Mario Kart
  • Mario Party Superstars
  • Switch Sports are all solid,
  • Maybe toss in Super Mario Odyssey if he's a Super Mario fan.
  • Maybe toss in Animal Crossing

Also, budget in $40 for Nintendo Switch Online - lots of old-school games from older consoles and adds content to Kart/Animal Crossing.

And if your wife is cool with this, it's funny as hell - rag doll characters beating the shit out of each other.  I was at a birthday party where a bunch of kindergartners started playing it, and they were screeching with laughter, especially on the boat when sharks started jumping on it.  This is the XB trailer, but gameplay is basically the same.  You can usually get it around $20 I believe.

@Enchubben Keep in mind that if you buy the physical cartridge, you have to have the cart plugged in to play the game - it doesn't install on the Switch and then you play from there - you always have to have the cart plugged in.

Kind of wish now I had bought all our games digital.

Edited by atomheartbevo

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

@Enchubben Keep in mind that if you buy the physical cartridge, you have to have the cart plugged in to play the game - it doesn't install on the Switch and then you play from there - you always have to have the cart plugged in.

Kind of wish now I had bought all our games digital.

I am glad I buy physical. Have friends I trade games with so physical is great to facilitate sharing. Also have bought a couple I didn’t enjoy and at least was able to resell it. 

I'm not a gamer in the slightest, so please pardon the ignorance. The last game system I owned was a used GameCube that my brother pawned off on me. 

Doomlet wants a Nintendo Switch for his birthday. What all do I need to buy so that he, Mrs. Doom, and I can play Mario Kart (and similar) against each other at the same time? Can we somehow play using the lone Switch hooked up to the TV with multiple peripheral controllers, or do we need to buy three separate Switches? 

57 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I'm not a gamer in the slightest, so please pardon the ignorance. The last game system I owned was a used GameCube that my brother pawned off on me. 

Doomlet wants a Nintendo Switch for his birthday. What all do I need to buy so that he, Mrs. Doom, and I can play Mario Kart (and similar) against each other at the same time? Can we somehow play using the lone Switch hooked up to the TV with multiple peripheral controllers, or do we need to buy three separate Switches? 

Multiple controllers. Switch comes with 2 (the joycons) and you either need a pro controller or another set of joycons 

Just don’t buy the Lite

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Multiple controllers. Switch comes with 2 (the joycons) and you either need a pro controller or another set of joycons 

Just don’t buy the Lite

Awesome - thanks! 

So between what it comes with, and another set of Joycons, we're all set? 

And I saw upthread that there's some distinction between buy a "hard copy" of the games versus a digital download. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? In addition to shooting shells at his parents as we whip his ass on Rainbow Road, he's also going to want to play games with/against his friends online, if that's of any relevance. 

Thanks again! 

8 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Awesome - thanks! 

And I saw upthread that there's some distinction between buy a "hard copy" of the games versus a digital download. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? In addition to shooting shells at his parents as we whip his ass on Rainbow Road, he's also going to want to play games with/against his friends online, if that's of any relevance. 

Thanks again! 

Digital ends up a space issue, fixed with external storage. Physical you have to put into the switch to play it. You can’t resell digital games. It’s a preference thing, some people like to collect physical games and some don’t 

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks again! 

I can't imagine we'll run out of storage space for physical cartridges, but could conceivably run out of memory. 

And requiring a physical copy of the game allows for parental confiscation when necessary... 

Otherwise, there's no difference in playability, interface, connectivity, etc. between digital and hard copy? 

Nope. They make carrying cases that have cartridge storage for traveling. They’re so tiny - nothing your wife isn’t used to already.  

Good point on being able to confiscate them!  Also helpful if you ever get a second switch, easy to move the games from one to the other. As I mentioned, I like them for the purpose of trading with friends since they run $60/piece for most Nintendo titles unless you find a sale 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Awesome - thanks! 

Thanks again! 

I'd get a pro controller over a second set of joycons. Pro is better ergonomics compared to joycons. Should also be (slightly) cheaper and not suffer from drift issues.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

I'd get a pro controller over a second set of joycons. Pro is better ergonomics compared to joycons. Should also be (slightly) cheaper and not suffer from drift issues.

Lot of non-Nintendo options for pro controllers for cut down on costs.  Heck, you could get 3 pro controllers for less than the cost of a second set of joycons.   The main pro of the second joycon set is if you need to send in the original ones for service, you have a backup to play in undocked mode. 

Just make sure the pro controller is bluetooth and has gyro and vibration enabled to get the full experience.  I have this one and I'm a big fan of the ergonomic design and have not had any issues using it

Wireless Controller for Nintendo Switch,STOGA Remote Pro Controller for Nintendo Switch Console, Game Controller Supports Gyro Axis, Thrbo and Dual Vibration (Red&Blue) : Everything Else (amazon.com)

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/11/2022 at 9:28 AM, Js1 said:

Lot of non-Nintendo options for pro controllers for cut down on costs.  Heck, you could get 3 pro controllers for less than the cost of a second set of joycons.   The main pro of the second joycon set is if you need to send in the original ones for service, you have a backup to play in undocked mode. 

Just make sure the pro controller is bluetooth and has gyro and vibration enabled to get the full experience.  I have this one and I'm a big fan of the ergonomic design and have not had any issues using it

Wireless Controller for Nintendo Switch,STOGA Remote Pro Controller for Nintendo Switch Console, Game Controller Supports Gyro Axis, Thrbo and Dual Vibration (Red&Blue) : Everything Else (amazon.com)

Thanks, I bought my pro controller before bluetooth on the switch was a thing so I didn't know about these.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone have Civilization for the Switch?  We have an old version, Revolutions, for the PS3 my 9 year old son loves to play.  He wants to play head to head or partner with me in the game and we have two switches.  I know the later versions are much more complex than the version we currently have.

Thoughts/comments on:

• Suitability for 9 year old
  • Multiplayer cooperative or competitive
  • Overall game play/value. 
  • Price dropped significantly recently.  I think they are getting ready to announce a new version.  For us I think getting 2 copies of the old version might be better.
Edited by TexasEd

• 2 weeks later...

Watched some of it with the kids.  I got excited at Goldeneye, my son and I got excited at Zelda, daughter got excited over a farm sim with fairies (she loves Animal Crossing) and it looks fantastic.  Wife and daughter got excited over JustDance because it featured BTS

I admit, I will play this with my daughter, it looks perfect for her.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do not let your kids get Pokemon Scarlet/Violet until they've fixed all of the issues.

Holy shit this is really bad.  Like "Why was this released" kind of bad.

I understand GameFreak's, TPC's, an Nintendo's stake in this, but there needed to be some pressure applied between TPC/Nintendo on GameFreak not to release this game.

This is going to be the stuff of memes for a while to come.  Pokemon sites are full of people pissed off about it.

My kid really wanted to get one of the new games, but as much as he loves Pokemon, even he's holding off until it's patched (some of the problems appear to be memory leaks).  It's definitely not the hardware.

I was watching someone play it last night on twitch. The framerate is awful, the graphics aren't very good, and there's a metric fuck ton of dialogue/cutscenes to get through before you even really start the game. It didn't seem glitchy or buggy in a game-breaking way. 

That said the gameplay looked pretty fun. If your kid is into Pokémon and liked the other open world games (game?) they'd probably like it. I will say certain aspects look like they could be frustrating. 

I mean I'M sure as shit not going to buy it because there's much better games out there for switch, but I'm also an adult and don't give a shit about Pokémon. 

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Do not let your kids get Pokemon Scarlet/Violet until they've fixed all of the issues.

Holy shit this is really bad.  Like "Why was this released" kind of bad.

I understand GameFreak's, TPC's, an Nintendo's stake in this, but there needed to be some pressure applied between TPC/Nintendo on GameFreak not to release this game.

This is going to be the stuff of memes for a while to come.  Pokemon sites are full of people pissed off about it.

My kid really wanted to get one of the new games, but as much as he loves Pokemon, even he's holding off until it's patched (some of the problems appear to be memory leaks).  It's definitely not the hardware.

Thanks for sharing. I will wait to get it, Arceus was a fun game during flights but it got pretty boring so I was looking forward to this. 

14 hours ago, Viper said:

Hopefully it's fixed in time for Christmas since this is at the top of my kid's list. 

A special thanks to all the people out there who spent $60 to beta test. 

10 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Thanks for sharing. I will wait to get it, Arceus was a fun game during flights but it got pretty boring so I was looking forward to this. 

https://kotaku.com/pokemon-scarlet-violet-bugs-performance-paldea-nintendo-1849798801

if you want to see the train wreck.

6 hours ago, Chips O'Toole said:

I've never played a Pokemon game in my life but my son (7) is starting to get into the cards, or trying to but I have no idea wtf to get him.

There are like 10 pokemon games on switch, are any of them actually great games or do you have to really like Pokemon to enjoy them?

Get Pokémon Go on your phone and you two can play it when you’re out and about.  Free, with monthly community events that are a buck, and occasional events that cost more (not that often).  Basically let’s you collect Pokémon and play with other people at parks, etc.

For the Switch, he might really enjoy Pokémon Legends: Arceus.  It came out this year,  It is open-world, exploration, takes place in the past, before most/all Pokémon games.  It’s almost all positive reviews and is on a lot of “best of the year” lists, with comparisons to Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

scarlet and Violet are not the games to start him on, and some of the others maybe slightly hard,

If you have Nintendo Online or whatever, there are some older Pokémon games from previous consoles that play okay on the Switch but the graphics are…for older consoles.

Next wave of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC is coming December 7th (you can purchase it or it's free through the Switch Online+ subscription.  8 tracks.  Jazzed about the Rainbow Road and Merry Mountain, those should look great on the big screen.

• Maple Treeway from Mario Kart Wii
  • Rainbow Road from Mario Kart 7
  • Boo Lake from Mario Kart Super Circuit
  • Berlin Byways from Mario Kart Tour
  • Rock Rock Mountain from Mario Kart 7
  • Peach Gardens from Mario Kart DS
  • London Loop from Mario Kart Tour
  • Merry Mountain from Mario Kart Tour.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/22/2022 at 8:09 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Our dock seems to be broken. It only works intermittently and you basically can't play any games on the TV with it, so I can't school my kids at Mario Kart or Smash Bros anymore. Are there any aftermarket docks that work well and won't brick my console?

Check the power supply first.  I found that some power supplies do not provide enough power for the switch and the video driver to the TV.  My kids were using the one that worked with the dock on the Switch lite.  That one does not have the same problem.

On 11/20/2022 at 9:56 PM, atomheartbevo said:

They really did rush this

This game is absolute ass. Not having performance issues, it’s just boring as fuck

Glad I bought physical because I’m returning it. Thought I’d play the shit out of it on my flight to Europe but barely touched it bc I was so bored with the new mechanics 

Edited by Js1