2018 NBA Draft

Machinator

In all seriousness, Robert Williams is a steal for the Celtics. Really raw offensively but he can be a day 1 contributor on the boards/defensive end. 

The Celtics were thinking about trading up to get Bamba and Williams dropped all the way down to #27. Most "draft experts" had Williams as a lottery pick. 

Ainge is building a hell of young group with Tatum, Brown and Williams. 

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

In all seriousness, Robert Williams is a steal for the Celtics. Really raw offensively but he can be a day 1 contributor on the boards/defensive end. 

The Celtics were thinking about trading up to get Bamba and Williams dropped all the way down to #27. Most "draft experts" had Williams as a lottery pick. 

Absolutely agree.... I was skeptical for a lottery pick because generally those guys have to carry some sort of offensive responsibility but on a team like Boston, he can come in off the bench and play 10-15 minutes of high energy minutes optimally.  Rebound, protect the rim, run the court and dive to the rim off PNR's.  They compared him to Capela but also like a better Tristan offensively (not as good as a rebounder).  Doesn't have to develop right away.  Nice pick for Boston.... although it most recent week, Williams had fallen out of the lottery and was usually in the middle to late teens.

• Like 2

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Wolves snag Bates Diop with 48...i thought he was a good college player. weird to see him fall through the late first and most of the second.

Indeed, dude was Big 10 player of the year this year. Absolutely can't go wrong getting him this late.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23864234/2018-nba-draft-six-big-first-round-winners

ESPN"s first round winners..... I know, I know.  They suck.

Mike Schmitz: The Mavericks are the clear winner of the night, wheeling and dealing for arguably the top prospect in the draft in Doncic.

As we outlined earlier in the year, Doncic is a perfect fit for Rick Carlisle's flow offense, a system that emphasizes multiple ball handlers. Dennis Smith Jr.'s ability to break down defenses should help counterbalance Doncic's lack of clear blow-by ability with the ball. Doncic brings a combination of youth and productivity, and his winning tenure at Real Madrid has shown he's a perfect fit for the pass-dribble-shoot basketball in the modern NBA.

Having veterans such as Dirk Nowitzki, JJ Barea and Wesley Mathews should go a long way to usher Doncic in as the next international star in Dallas.

Spurs, Boston and Philly made it too.... I think Orlando did well by letting Bamba fall in their laps.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23864234/2018-nba-draft-six-big-first-round-winners

ESPN"s first round winners..... I know, I know.  They suck.

Spurs, Boston and Philly made it too.... I think Orlando did well by letting Bamba fall in their laps.

Really like Lonnie Walker. Won't be a surprised if SAS gets the steal of the draft again.

10 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Cowboys did get a title in the 90s like the Rockets before the Texans existed. 

Advantage Aggy

They got 3 and have more than all franchises in Houston combined. 

10 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

The Evans pick I think means a for sure goodbye to swaggy p. 

Golden State's $5.3M MLE, if they use it next season, will cost them over $17M in additional taxes. Regardless of who they drafted, they're not paying the equivalent of a $22.3M salary for Nick fucking Young.

The Warriors were strongly rumored to have been itching to buy their way into the 2nd round again. So either they got exactly who they wanted in Round 1, or teams finally got smart and refused to let Golden State keep getting better for a little cash. I'm prone to guess the former. They've already signed Kendrick Nunn to a partially guaranteed contract as well, so maybe he's who they had their eye on late in the draft.

drafts i like best:

1. dallas - they got the best player in the draft.  had to give up next year's pick to do it (really don't see them being in the top 5 next year), but so what?  they now have two legit young building blocks.  jalen brunson in the 2nd round is a good get too.  he'll play in the league for a decade.
  2. phoenix - ayton is obviously the headliner, but getting mikal bridges, another top 10 talent in the draft, was a hell of a move.  they now have a young core of ayton, booker, josh jackson and bridges.  that's some very nice young talent.
  3. orlando - i think bamba was the 2nd best player in the draft and getting melvin frazier in the 2nd round was also a good pick.  now they have to get a back court. 
  4. denver - if porter can ever get healthy, they got a top 5 talent at #14.  if he can't, it was still a gamble well worth taking.
  5. knicks - they were smart and took a couple of guys who will take some time, but have a ton of upside.  they're gonna be garbage next year regardless so going with upside makes a lot of sense to me.

my least favorite drafts:

1. atlanta - i just don't get how they could pick trae young over doncic.  
  2. clippers - SGA is fine, but why on earth take jerome robinson at #13 with guys like porter and zhaire smith on the board.  for that matter, why even choose SGA over miles bridges?
  3. portland - don't think they should be taking guys who won't even sniff the league for a couple of years.  they could have gotten someone who could contribute next season.  
  4. sacramento - bagley should be fine, but they passed on several guys who are better bets.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

id be livid if i was a clipper fan and not gambling on MPJ. I think they started Wes Johnson at SF last year.

Right, they had two first rounders.   It was worth the gamble to take him with one of them.  Then taking Miles Bridges only to trade him away doubled down on the stupid.

Edited by d2o

39 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

i thought he was pf next to DJ.

wes' ego is still broken

He does in a small lineup but also plays SF too..... Probably better as a SF but the Clippers were just throwing together lineups last year and most of their roster was small  Besides, I'm sure the Clippers are dreaming of adding a certain SF who currently plays in central Texas.  If not, plenty of guys available in free agency.  I don't want to doubt Jerry West and he was able to get rid of the Blake contract but unless someone forces themselves to the Clippers, that's a roster who has 8-11 seed all over it....

drafts i like best:
  1. dallas - they got the best player in the draft.  had to give up next year's pick to do it (really don't see them being in the top 5 next year), but so what?  they now have two legit young building blocks.  jalen brunson in the 2nd round is a good get too.  he'll play in the league for a decade.
  2. phoenix - ayton is obviously the headliner, but getting mikal bridges, another top 10 talent in the draft, was a hell of a move.  they now have a young core of ayton, booker, josh jackson and bridges.  that's some very nice young talent.
  3. orlando - i think bamba was the 2nd best player in the draft and getting melvin frazier in the 2nd round was also a good pick.  now they have to get a back court. 
  4. denver - if porter can ever get healthy, they got a top 5 talent at #14.  if he can't, it was still a gamble well worth taking.
  5. knicks - they were smart and took a couple of guys who will take some time, but have a ton of upside.  they're gonna be garbage next year regardless so going with upside makes a lot of sense to me.
my least favorite drafts:
  1. atlanta - i just don't get how they could pick trae young over doncic.  
  2. clippers - SGA is fine, but why on earth take jerome robinson at #13 with guys like porter and zhaire smith on the board.  for that matter, why even choose SGA over miles bridges?
  3. portland - don't think they should be taking guys who won't even sniff the league for a couple of years.  they could have gotten someone who could contribute next season.  
  4. sacramento - bagley should be fine, but they passed on several guys who are better bets.

I think the Spurs did pretty well too all things considered.

11 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I think the Spurs did pretty well too all things considered.

I thought all the Texas teams did well last night.... Obviously the Mavericks will be the most highlighted, as they should be, but for their slots, I thought all teams did pretty well in the draft.  Melton's probably going to spend a lot of time in the Valley but he has upside as an eventual 3 and D guy if he can fix his shot for Houston.  Nice athlete and defender.  Vince Edwards can really shoot from distance and actually may be more ready to contribute.  Those were some nice selections really deep in the draft..... if one of them works out, it's a huge success.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 9:56 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Continuing to get off to a real, real bad start...... only get once to make a first impression.

• 2 months later...