UrbanAchiever

2019 Running / Triathlon Thread

Helluva run UA. Nice!

I ran a "trail" half marathon at Brazos Bend State Park. The course already measured at 13.5, when i was all done, the garmin total was 13.8 miles. Very flat and smooth course. For the 13.1 section I was 1:44. I was hovering 7:55 for each mile through mile 11. I feared limping, so I took an energy gel at mile 9. I ingested the wrong gel, I mistakenly took the non-isotonic, and did not have any water. I ended up limping in with a big stitch -- 8:01 at mile 12. 8:38 for mile 13. then a fab 9:05 for the last .8 miles. 

I was able to witness Patrick Reagan break the american 100 mile trail record. I believe he ran a 12:21:XX. a sub 7:25/mile pace. He passed me on his second loop, all I thought about was how he blew by me, and he still had about 80 miles to go.

Signed up for the 70.3 Ironman in Galveston this coming April. I've done an Olympic-distance triathlon in Marble Falls about 4 years ago. I'm now 31 and have very infrequently worked out since moving to north Texas last summer and felt like I needed something to break out of this funk.
I slowly worked back into cardio for a month before starting a 20-week training plan about 4 weeks ago. Things are going smoothly so far, although my training plan is described as 1/10 difficulty, training enough to finish.
While I've been very consistent with my workouts, I know my diet could stand to be improved. I really plan on getting more serious about that at the start of the year, which will still be 3 months out from race day. Are there any good diet plans for triathlons y'all would recommend? I'm always hungry now and the first thing I reach for isn't always the best. Also, I don't have a bike anymore and was considering just renting for race day. I'm just looking to finish the race, and I almost exclusively used the exercise bike for training the last go around. Anyone done the rental thing before?

18 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

Signed up for the 70.3 Ironman in Galveston this coming April. I've done an Olympic-distance triathlon in Marble Falls about 4 years ago. I'm now 31 and have very infrequently worked out since moving to north Texas last summer and felt like I needed something to break out of this funk.
I slowly worked back into cardio for a month before starting a 20-week training plan about 4 weeks ago. Things are going smoothly so far, although my training plan is described as 1/10 difficulty, training enough to finish.
While I've been very consistent with my workouts, I know my diet could stand to be improved. I really plan on getting more serious about that at the start of the year, which will still be 3 months out from race day. Are there any good diet plans for triathlons y'all would recommend? I'm always hungry now and the first thing I reach for isn't always the best. Also, I don't have a bike anymore and was considering just renting for race day. I'm just looking to finish the race, and I almost exclusively used the exercise bike for training the last go around. Anyone done the rental thing before?

I'm no expert on tris, but there are some that post on here. But for a 70.3, I would definitely want to be training on and using my own bike for the race. You're going to be in the saddle a lot throughout training, and you want to make sure you have a bike you're comfortable with.

Ran 15 miles today and felt really good. Ran a half under 2 hours for the first time. That being said, the thought of running another 10 seems daunting. I’ve done it before but it my body doesn’t remember that apparently. I wish I could just run the marathon this year and feel good after it. I want to run the whole time and make a decent time. 

Good luck at the Decker tomorrow. 

Neonmoon - you should be able to get your body used to the long runs, build them up slowly.   A marathon beats everyone up. My last 4/5 have stunk (according to me) things go wrong. Of the 12/13 I’ve done I can say 2 went really well and 1 awesome.  Sometimes it takes quite a few before things click. 

2010 - I would consider buying a used road bike. Not sure you will find anything decent to rent in Waco.  Good luck with your training.  If you have questions ask away a couple of us have done some triathlons.  One guy on here is super fast.