2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

2 hours ago, troph said:

Talking to our guide today he agreed it’s farther out right now. Said second sand bar was far enough. We are going to try and come back down next month and bay fish one day and surf fish end of the day for a week - we will practice the drone shot before we go. Will let you guys know.

Don't know what type of gear you are fishing with in the surf but a couple of surfcasting spining rods and some practice casting them will probably work out better and be cheaper than dunking a drone.

• Hook 'Em 1

Gaffs can seriously fuck you up. I had a pretty small one stab me in a knuckle and a solid 6 MONTHS later I could still feel pain in that spot when I pushed on it. They’ve got me good a few other times, but the small one was the worst. I’ve finally stopped messing around with them and use the lipgrip any time I hook one

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

We usually just stay in one place and set up a big camp.  3 mile has been good to us.

Yeah, last time I was there over a year ago, we stayed at the LCRA park, got up early, drove down 7 miles or so and ground it out all day, not catching much.  On the way back we saw guys in the surf around three mile catching limits of trout.  Was pissed we didn’t try there first.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

Don't know what type of gear you are fishing with in the surf but a couple of surfcasting spining rods and some practice casting them will probably work out better and be cheaper than dunking a drone.

I can cast 30-35 yards easy. Last two days green water was 50 yards or more beyond us. Maybe that’s just due to the storm surge from delta I don’t know. I bet I could get a few more yards but even today the guide was casting crazy distance and I wasn’t that far behind him.

31 minutes ago, troph said:

I can cast 30-35 yards easy. Last two days green water was 50 yards or more beyond us. Maybe that’s just due to the storm surge from delta I don’t know. I bet I could get a few more yards but even today the guide was casting crazy distance and I wasn’t that far behind him.

But that’s not with a 10-12’ surf rod and 4-6 oz of weight, right?  If you want to get out far in the surf you need the right equipment.  

9 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Dude, a 20” red grilled on the half shell, and some cheeks in foil is close to great eating as it gets. 

I agree, but not enough time for that fancy shit in my life right now.  Figure I’ll get back to better foods when the kids get more self sustainable. 

6 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

dude, what the fuck do you hate everything great about America!!!!!!!!!!!

I love to let them go and let someone else have a shot at them. I can still remember when the red fishing was shit, at least compared to today.   I can clean 3 limits of trout by the time I can filet one of those doofy fuckers. 

ETA: I only try and keep 3 trout per trip. Keeps me and the wife fed and fresh fish in freezer.   Snapper And tuna I’ll puke away a good chunk and we’ll eat on that forever.  And flounder. Rare I catch then because I throw topwaters until it gets too cold then fish corkys.  Not many flounder between that combo.  But they get eaten without prejudice.  I’m just saving the carp for y’all :)

Edited by fattyflattie

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I agree, but not enough time for that fancy shit in my life right now.  Figure I’ll get back to better foods when the kids get more self sustainable. 

I love to let them go and let someone else have a shot at them. I can still remember when the red fishing was shit, at least compared to today.   I can clean 3 limits of trout by the time I can filet one of those doofy fuckers. 

I’ll admit there were days like these with my boy and my late fil where I did NOT want to clean anymore black drum or reds.  There were more we couldn’t fit on the board.  

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t get out as much anymore, but looking back over the last 10 years, it’s amazing the community of fishing and hunting we’ve had here.  The old man I posted in the pic, Capt. Ken took both Texas Ed and Roflbox fishing, then when the whole crew of us went offshore with Justhookit, we stayed at his/our place in Estes.  Guy’s that I’ve been on fishing trips with:

Jiggy-z

Snow Dog/Mrmyke

Texas Ed

Roflbox

Doc Holliday (Troph’s brother)

Patrick McHorn 

Tap Dancing Kung Fu Master

TPCJ007

Blain

Hunting you can add in Brisket, Hornian and a couple others.

• Like 1

First gut early or second gut thereafter. Cast into the current, along the gut, with a top water. Not across the gut. Parallel to the beach. Super spook or She Dog. White/red heard or pearl chartreuse. If nothing there, then third gut, again into the current. But since you’re not standing in the third gut try for about a 45 degree angle up current. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mac8111 said:

We gotta put together another group trip. And by we, I mean you.....

Here are some pics from the past couple years.  This is my work crew on PINS, some of the guys that freaked out Jiggy on that one trip.  Most are ex military and have calmed down a bit since then. I’m second from left next to Sasquatch

spacer.png

some of us at Matagorda 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Here are some pics from the past couple years.  This is my work crew on PINS, some of the guys that freaked out Jiggy on that one trip.  Most are ex military and have calmed down a bit since then. I’m second from left next to Sasquatch

some of us at Matagorda 

spacer.png

That is one big dude.

Got on the Spanish and Jack’s today on the beach. Everything was running including the dolphins which kept it interesting. They were running fish up on the beach with their babies which was fun to watch but a pain for fishing.

On the eating discussion, I’m probably a 99% catch and release person. I’ll occasionally keep something for supper, but lean towards mangrove snapper or sheepshead over reds or trout. I mainly target snook and tarpon, although that’s winding down so I’ll start looking for big reds running the beach. I’m not eating a gafftop unless someone slides it in without telling me. Those slimy bastards aren’t going home with me.

• Hook 'Em 1

In response to something way up the thread - We gave a bunch of ours to the guide who said he would keep them, eat them or give them away. I hope he does. We took the smaller ones home to eat and we will give half of that away. Not a fan of the larger fish for eating.

And on equipment I’m not sure what we have I think it’s 8-9 foot and I tossed with a 1 oz weight and probably the artificial lures were .5-1 oz. We bought the poles etc all cheap and on a whim just to see if we’d like going out in the surf. I was pretty sure I wasn’t on the money with the set up. I mean the pole and the line test weight were good as confirmed on the web and today with our guide. But weight, floater/bobbers (if any), all of that maybe not so much. I mean I can only absorb so much from the internet at one time. Philosophy of learning some, go out and do it, learn more, go out and do that. Shit the fact I was picking line correctly, tying knots easily and chunking that line out there and pulling in a few fish is miles better than I was doing pre covid.

12 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

First gut early or second gut thereafter. Cast into the current, along the gut, with a top water. Not across the gut. Parallel to the beach. Super spook or She Dog. White/red heard or pearl chartreuse. If nothing there, then third gut, again into the current. But since you’re not standing in the third gut try for about a 45 degree angle up current. 

thank you.

I’m a top water fanatic. I fish them too much even, trading off a better lure for the situation in hopes of hearing that toilet flush from a sow, or grenade pop off from a shallow red. But without a doubt, I don’t think anything slams harder in the surf than the OG.
00fc2e86bdbc3ea2863e02d7d0b54ee8.jpg
3a82826f7ae82a4712f164e92cf6a528.jpg

7a721492cf768407371e58b40a08f852.jpg

While they are about the most inefficient and dangerous lure to be jacking with while trying to string fish on the 2nd/3rd bar, trout crush these like a freight train. I’m still using new old stock my dad had from when I was a child, with fresh VMCs of course. A classic that still fills boxes today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

ETA: I only try and keep 3 trout per trip. Keeps me and the wife fed and fresh fish in freezer.   Snapper And tuna I’ll puke away a good chunk and we’ll eat on that forever.  And flounder. Rare I catch then because I throw topwaters until it gets too cold then fish corkys.  Not many flounder between that combo.  But they get eaten without prejudice.  I’m just saving the carp for y’all :)

User name does not check out.

18 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

User name does not check out.

Good catch.  I've been rocking this handle on 2cool and various other sites since I was a kid soaking mudminnows for flounder.  I made the handle so that I could post a picture of two flounder, one 22" and other 24" , that I caught on back to back casts right next to Big Momma's house in Christmas Bay.  Handle seemed fitting for the pic (and I probably thought I was hot shit and had it all figured out then)  Those are still my two biggest flounder to date, both on fresh dead.  Of course I began my artificial only journey a year or two later, and left the backwater drains for the flats.  I used the flounder pounders and whatnot, but then discovered a superspook, good rods, and never looked back.   Don't think I've soaked bait (inshore) more than once or twice since I graduated high school, and don't throw Gulps, so my flounder count is almost nil these days. 

I did specially target them for a sidepot in a tourney a year or two ago , and caught a  solid 16.5" on a white curly tail gulp in mouth of a drain.  The ten years prior, one team would always bank by bringing in a few, and no one challenged them - they'd take the entire $1500 pot.  I showed up having already spent the money in my mind, on cool shit for the boat, and there was like 8 already on the board.  So I guess I can only catch them when anyone can lulz.     I can remember the last one I caught before that (shows you how little I fish for them anymore), but it was on an orange 51MR like I posted above, in the surf about 4-5 years ago.  I remember wondering if I was working it waaaaaaaaaay to slow, or if he came up and nabbed it.  Either way, it was a first for me.  

But make no mistake.  That's one that doesn't get put back for another day, then gets stuffed and baked.  

27 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Good catch.  I've been rocking this handle on 2cool and various other sites since I was a kid soaking mudminnows for flounder.  I made the handle so that I could post a picture of two flounder, one 22" and other 24" , that I caught on back to back casts right next to Big Momma's house in Christmas Bay.  Handle seemed fitting for the pic (and I probably thought I was hot shit and had it all figured out then)  Those are still my two biggest flounder to date, both on fresh dead.  Of course I began my artificial only journey a year or two later, and left the backwater drains for the flats.  I used the flounder pounders and whatnot, but then discovered a superspook, good rods, and never looked back.   Don't think I've soaked bait (inshore) more than once or twice since I graduated high school, and don't throw Gulps, so my flounder count is almost nil these days. 

I did specially target them for a sidepot in a tourney a year or two ago , and caught a  solid 16.5" on a white curly tail gulp in mouth of a drain.  The ten years prior, one team would always bank by bringing in a few, and no one challenged them - they'd take the entire $1500 pot.  I showed up having already spent the money in my mind, on cool shit for the boat, and there was like 8 already on the board.  So I guess I can only catch them when anyone can lulz.     I can remember the last one I caught before that (shows you how little I fish for them anymore), but it was on an orange 51MR like I posted above, in the surf about 4-5 years ago.  I remember wondering if I was working it waaaaaaaaaay to slow, or if he came up and nabbed it.  Either way, it was a first for me.  

But make no mistake.  That's one that doesn't get put back for another day, then gets stuffed and baked.  

I have caught 4 keeper flounder in my life.  One on a rattle trap, 2 more on LSU paddle tail/jig (down south) and the last on  on a popping cork (chicken boy pink shrimp with chartreuse tail), so I feel your pain.  These days I can only hit the salt about three time a year, but I make them count with 5 day four night camping/kayaking trips. 

I throw tops 90% of the time. Bone/glow she dog all day long.  Can't beat the rush.

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m a top water fanatic. I fish them too much even, trading off a better lure for the situation in hopes of hearing that toilet flush from a sow, or grenade pop off from a shallow red. But without a doubt, I don’t think anything slams harder in the surf than the OG.
00fc2e86bdbc3ea2863e02d7d0b54ee8.jpg
3a82826f7ae82a4712f164e92cf6a528.jpg

7a721492cf768407371e58b40a08f852.jpg

While they are about the most inefficient and dangerous lure to be jacking with while trying to string fish on the 2nd/3rd bar, trout crush these like a freight train. I’m still using new old stock my dad had from when I was a child, with fresh VMCs of course. A classic that still fills boxes today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For top water I fish Mirrolure red/white combos primarily in the surf. I’ve started throwing TerrorEyez pretty regularly if the bait is out in big numbers. Tarpon love the stupid looking things. Past that the standard silver spoon is my biggest go to. Trout/Snook/Spanish will destroy a silver spoon fished off the edge of bait pods. I bet I’ve fished those 3 lures 95% of the time this year yet I still tote a tackle bag full of crap with me thinking today will be the day I throw something else.

28 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Pain don’t hurt. 

The guy I fish with 99% of the time caught a corky to the forearm on the 2nd bar, when we were in high school. Fish still attached, going wild and shit. He just squeezed the life out of it. When he went to get his insurance info, a guy at his mothers work said he could do that trick where you push down and yank it out with line in the other direction.  2 tries later, he had it cut out in the ER. 

3 hours ago, troph said:

I don’t know man three treble hooks sounds like a fucking beat down trying to get out if the slam it hard. Hate those things. Why would you?

If I really get into them in the surf, immediately put on a tout or DOA shrimp.   Something with a single hook that can be rerigged in a second.  But if you want to feel that thunder, 51MR.   I’m sure you could run it with singles if you wanted, I do that with top waters and big offshore rapalas when there’s a lot of wind blown grass or weed.  Still 3 singles in surf would suck too. 

If I lose my shit and tell all my clients to fuck off and suck my asshole on my next work call (there is greater than zero percent chance of this happening, I’m heading straight to PINS to surf fish and drink. Fuck 2020. 

I told a friend of my I was ready to go back today. Fuck 2020 is right.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

I told a friend of my I was ready to go back today. Fuck 2020 is right.

My (toothless because of cancer) friend that was at the bar Saturday was asking about y’all tonight. She really liked y’all.

When y’all come back in November or whenever we will go to Salty Dog where her friends are. And I’ll still try to steal your pup.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Well ok I guess they stay. Despite deleting on edit pics seem to stay. So in order - me with lightning

collage of marlin 

monkey posing with mom on a mangrove tour in Costa Rica 

Harvey damage

random bad Fishing pics 

idiot sinking boat offshore port O’Connor after hitting shrimp boat

badass place outside los suenos called villa caletas 

random Covid pic I’m sure I posted months ago on here

• Hook 'Em 1

My (toothless because of cancer) friend that was at the bar Saturday was asking about y’all tonight. She really liked y’all.

When y’all come back in November or whenever we will go to Salty Dog where her friends are. And I’ll still try to steal your pup.

I drank more beer during the OT and at the gaff than I have in a long time. that captain said he was a jolly fella when drinking beer, I guess I’m not as obnoxious as I think either when I’m pounding IPAs. Truth be told she probably liked my girlfriend more. She’s the real keeper. I’m just a tall queer chick with a give-a-shitter that went out a while back and decided the rules don’t apply to me anymore.

But we’d make the local news if you stole our Jax. Just say when though and we’ll send you the breeders contact info.