Jump to content
Goodman

House Money - 2019 PWO Edition

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Amazing how many 3 star and lower guys there was. Malcolm or is it Malcom Brown was either the highest or 2nd highest rated recruit on either team.

Malcom and Malcolm were both 5* recruits. But Malcolm was on IR so I assume they were talking about the DT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Malcom and Malcolm were both 5* recruits. But Malcolm was on IR so I assume they were talking about the DT.

Damn, I forgot Malcolm played for the Rams. It was definitely Malcom, I could just never remember how each spells their name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Good for him.  betting the 4.41 is not...accurate.

Watch the first highlight in his HUDL and tell me whether it changes your mind.

(Spoiler alert: it will NOT change your mind)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Texas 2019 PWO running list (let me know if I missed any)

3 Star - QB - Sam Saxton, 6’5 / 190, St Michael’s Academy (Austin) https://247sports.com/Player/Sam-Saxton-46052270/ / http://www.hudl.com/profile/10627065/Sam-Saxton

2 Star - ILB - Jett Bush, 6’2 / 220, Strake Jesuit (Houston) https://247sports.com/Player/Jett-Bush-46055186/ / http://www.hudl.com/profile/7121778/Jett-Bush

2 Star - ILB - Jake Ehlinger, 6’0 / 205, Westlake (Austin) https://247sports.com/player/jake-ehlinger-46055366/ / http://www.hudl.com/profile/6201632/Jake-Ehlinger

2 Star - WR - Parker Alford, 6’0 / 175, Dripping Springs https://247sports.com/player/parker-alford-46053526/ / https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7163299/5ba7db529a9c0b09a8def051

2 Star - TE - Austin Hill, 6’5 / 225, The Village School (Houston) https://247sports.com/Player/Austin-Hill-46056989/ / http://www.hudl.com/profile/10229700/AUSTIN-HILL

Unranked - TE - Nathan Hatter, 6’2 / 230, Tom Glenn (Leander) http://www.hudl.com/profile/7349382/Nate-Hatter

Unranked - OT - Chad Wolf, 6’4 / 250, Lake Travis https://247sports.com/Player/Chad-Wolf-46050829/ / https://www.hudl.com/video/3/563856/5b9ecb3b19af1d0994355581

Unranked - DB - Christian Tschauner II, 6’0 / 185, Odessa Permian https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8028105/5b8bf62be984c60788bfaebc

Unranked - DB - Doak Wilson, 6’1 / 180, Westlake (Austin) https://www.hudl.com/profile/8745858/Doak-Wilson/about

Edited by TKthunder2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ran into a houston hs coach and he thinks Austin Hill and Jett Bush can play. He thought those are the types of players that help raise the floor for a cfb team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, Cy Springs isn't the best school in CFISD by a long shot. For him to have been recruited by Army, Columbia, etc. is pretty eye-opening from that school. Sounds like a badass.

To be fair it's still a pretty decent school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting this information -- I didn't realize until TK mentioned in the 2019 thread that there was a dedicated PWO thread.  Very informative. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CTH: "we are thrilled at the crop of walk-ons we have joining our program. Multiple with D1 offers and some were committed to D1 programs". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Watch the first highlight in his HUDL and tell me whether it changes your mind.

(Spoiler alert: it will NOT change your mind)

Not unless there were a bunch of 4.41 guys in those highlights. 

Nevertheless, welcome to The 40,  young man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, texifornia said:

 

I had to listen to that twice. It was hard to tell when Jake stopped talking and Sam started. They sound just alike. 

Also, exactly what paperwork does a walk-on have to sign?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At press conference, Herman gave thanks for PWO program to "John Michael Jones" and "Bob Shipley".

Any idea what these two actually do related to the PWO program??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like they lead the PWO and WO program. The past 2 years have been outstanding in regards to who they have identified and been able to have join the program. Special Teams are always a big focus for teams PWO spots, we are now finding position players equally talented.

Our deep snapper this year was a FR PWO, we also lost another when uh offered him late last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Sounds like they lead the PWO and WO program. The past 2 years have been outstanding in regards to who they have identified and been able to have join the program. Special Teams are always a big focus for teams PWO spots, we are now finding position players equally talented.

Our deep snapper this year was a FR PWO, we also lost another when uh offered him late last year.

But they can't visit PWO players off campus right??   So what are Shipley and John Michael Jones actually allowed to do to recruit PWO's??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure they recruit them, why wouldn't they? Calls, SoMe, campus visits, camps and I am sure our coaches visit their high schools when in area. The toughest job for them is to identify who is good enough, has the grades to get in, wants to play and represent Texas over a scholarship from group of 5 or the Ivy's. Not as easy as it sounds but we are off to a great start under Herman.

Edited by Goodman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

But they can't visit PWO players off campus right??   So what are Shipley and John Michael Jones actually allowed to do to recruit PWO's??

Only the 10 coaches can recruit off campus, but others like BC/Shipley/Jones can call, text, etc.  They also can recruit at our camps which is where some of these PWO’s are identified.  The 10 coaches cover regions so if a PWO is at a school a coach is visiting they make a point to meet him and talk to him for a bit.

Shipley/Jones mostly reach out to HS coaches and ask for their best players that are not being recruited heavily with good grades and the means to pay for tuition.  Anyone being recruited by an academy or Ivy is obviously a candidate.  They scout them, get Herman’s approval and begin working through the HS coaches to get the player and his family interested and invested in Texas.  They ultimately come in for a visit and if Herman approves they offer them a spot on the team as a PWO.  There are a limited number of walk ons allowed so they don’t just offer this to anyone and this take a lot of work so it’s great that we have someone other than our 10 coaches running this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Only the 10 coaches can recruit off campus, but others like BC/Shipley/Jones can call, text, etc.  They also can recruit at our camps which is where some of these PWO’s are identified.  The 10 coaches cover regions so if a PWO is at a school a coach is visiting they make a point to meet him and talk to him for a bit.

Shipley/Jones mostly reach out to HS coaches and ask for their best players that are not being recruited heavily with good grades and the means to pay for tuition.  Anyone being recruited by an academy or Ivy is obviously a candidate.  They scout them, get Herman’s approval and begin working through the HS coaches to get the player and his family interested and invested in Texas.  They ultimately come in for a visit and if Herman approves they offer them a spot on the team as a PWO.  There are a limited number of walk ons allowed so they don’t just offer this to anyone and this take a lot of work so it’s great that we have someone other than our 10 coaches running this.

Great Stuff..... thanks!

1) Btw, what are the typical number of PWOs per Class??  (Seems like a larger group this year)

2) Do PWOs get to live where other players do??  Have access to same resources/meals/facilities/counselors etc??

Edited by LTtxfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Great Stuff..... thanks!

1) Btw, what are the typical number of PWOs per Class??  (Seems like a larger group this year)

2) Do PWOs get to live where other players do??  Have access to same resources/meals/facilities/counselors etc??

PWO classes vary wildly.  Some players simply get “invited” to be a walk on, which means they have to enroll on their own and then try out for the team.  Also a walk on, even a preferred walk on, is not guaranteed a spot each year.  Many are told after spring ball that they will have to try out to make the team next year.  The PWO spot is typically only good for your first year unless you’re on the depth chart or a specialist (like a long snapper).

IIRC the maximum number of player a team can have is 125, meaning you can field a total of 40 walk ons.  My guess is that you’d see around 12-13 of these a year but some programs offer more (knowing that if the recruit enrolls in their own dime they are unlikely to transfer) and that ensures that you get the quality out of the additional quantity.  Getting a starter out of your WOs is like winning the lottery, but having a few quality depth guys or special team player is what most programs strive for.  That being said, the primary reason for the WO program is to field a scout team.  Coaches and QA evaluate the walk ons all year for talent and effort and typically after spring ball they let the less talented or lazy ones know that they’ll need to tryout again next season.  Either they’ll work hard all summer preparing for tryouts or they’ll simply quit, but either way the program wins.

Question #2 depends on the program, I think I heard that PWO’s and WO that are invited to return can live in the same dorm as the scholarship athletes at UT but obviously if you simply walk onto the team in a Fall camp moving into a the dorm would be a logistical nightmare.

Yes they can have access to the same resources, facilities, counselors, advisers, etc; and they do at Texas now, but that wasn’t the case a few years ago, nor is it the same across all schools.  Meals are different, and schools have committed violations trying to figure that tricky part out since a student meal card for a regular student doesn’t have the same food options as those for athletes.  So I’m honestly not sure what UT’s meal policy is for PWOs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

IIRC the maximum number of player a team can have is 125

105 until the first day of class (or first game of the season) arrives.

Edit: wrong word

Edited by Machinator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Machinator said:

105 by the time the first day of class (or first game of the season) arrives.

Not 100% but I think you have it backwards.  You can have 105 participating in Fall Camp prior to the first day of class, but after that time you can have a total team roster of 125, will try to find a link to confirm.

 

edit: https://www.athleticscholarships.net/2014/02/05/the-meaning-of-a-preferred-walk-on.htm

 

FBS football teams are limited to 105 participants between the start of fall camp and the first game or start of school (whichever comes first). These walk-ons have to come to campus early and the institution will be footing the bill for their housing and food during preseason practice, so it is important to distinguish who should come in early August and who should wait until school starts.”

Edited by TKthunder2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TKthunder2 said:

Not 100% but I think you have it backwards.  You can have 105 participating in Fall Camp prior to the first day of class, but after that time you can have a total team roster of 125, will try to find a link to confirm.

No, you are correct, I used the wrong preposition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TKthunder2 said:

Not 100% but I think you have it backwards.  You can have 105 participating in Fall Camp prior to the first day of class, but after that time you can have a total team roster of 125, will try to find a link to confirm.

How would you know which 20 you want to add once classes start if they weren’t at Fall Camp?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bruh Man said:

Are we ahead of the curve on this or are we catching up to the big boys with this focus on PWO's?

Our PWO program was essentially ground to dust under Charlie / Steve Patterson, so we're still playing catchup. But Herman is building this thing back up impressively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Our PWO program was essentially ground to dust under Charlie / Steve Patterson, so we're still playing catchup. But Herman is building this thing back up impressively.

Gotcha. For a sec I thought we were doing something new to the area b/c I rarely see news/tweets about PWO's at OU/A&M. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

How would you know which 20 you want to add once classes start if they weren’t at Fall Camp?

Only the 20 PWOs or returning/invited WOs are in Fall camp.  Sometime those considered non essential will be told just to report on the first day of class (last string DB, OL, WR or backup specialists) because they aren’t needed during Fall camp.  The rest are typically previous walk ons that didn’t make the cut after spring or like I said above, someone they want back but was squeezed out due to numbers.  Very few players truly show up and walk onto the team nowadays.  Coaches review their 85 scholarship athletes and the PWO they have committed and figure out which positions are needed to fill out their Fall camp at those players are prioritized.

For example, we only have 13 OL on scholarship next year (without Hudson) which isn’t enough to cover a 3rd string.  Our coaches know this and know who our PWOs are but if they have a good WO OL this spring you can bet that they’ll have an invite to Fall camp over a WO TE since we’ll have 6 scholarship TE already in camp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Gotcha. For a sec I thought we were doing something new to the area b/c I rarely see news/tweets about PWO's at OU/A&M. 

Publicizing PWOs like this isn’t done that often so you can give our staff lots of credit for bringing excitement to the process, but running the WO program like this isn’t anything new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

Gotcha. For a sec I thought we were doing something new to the area b/c I rarely see news/tweets about PWO's at OU/A&M. 

2017 BlowU team had a few contributing walk-ons..... 

Everyone knows Mayfield's story, walking on twice at both Oklahoma and Texas Tech, but plenty of other Sooners share a similar path. Senior center Erick Wren, junior wide receiver Myles Tease and sophomore wide receiver Lee Morris all walked-on at Oklahoma and have made an impact on the program during their careers.  "Ever since I walked in the door, the best players play," said Wren, who has started 23 games in his career at Oklahoma. "It takes a lot of work to get this point, it just doesn't happen over night. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also Stoops kids were touted as walk-ons at BlowU...  https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/ou-football-sooners-add-to-roster-with-preferred-walk-ons/article_3b75cae8-35cf-59d0-8a84-82844fd63668.html

 

Edited by LTtxfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Danny is following the thread. https://www.hookem.com/2019/02/07/with-its-2019-recruiting-class-finalized-texas-is-also-set-to-add-well-regarded-walk-ons-to-its-roster/

At a press conference on Wednesday, Texas football coach Tom Herman chatted about the additions of Bru McCoy and Javonne Shepherd to his 2019 recruiting class. He, however, was not able to discuss all of his incoming recruits.

Since they have not enrolled yet, Herman said he is not allowed to discuss his preferred walk-ons by name. Walk-ons aren’t on scholarship, but they are recruited and guaranteed a spot on UT’s roster. The walk-ons do have a chance to eventually earn scholarships and playing time — senior Jarmarquis Durst earned both of those things last year — but they are generally used to give competitive looks to UT’s starters in practice.

On Wednesday, Herman wanted to “take a second to brag on our walk-on program.” Herman credited Bob Shipley, UT’s director of high school relations, and John Michael Jones, an assistant director of player personnel, with shepherding the walk-on program. Herman also pointed out that many of UT’s incoming walk-ons chose having to pay to play at Texas over actual scholarship offers.

“The tie to Texas certainly helps, because I think when you bleed burnt orange, it’s a lot easier to take that path as a walk-on,” Herman said. “To know that you’re going to have to fight, scratch, claw, and do everything that you can to earn your way on to the field for the University of Texas. But for them, for the most part, all of that is worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(Scipio Tex) Walk Hard: Tom Herman's Preferred Walk On Program

One of the most impressive changes instituted by Tom Herman at the University of Texas has been the reinvigoration and advancement of the Texas preferred walk-on program. Perhaps in no small part because he was tasked with working with the walk-ons as a Texas GA under Mack Brown and he sees the opportunity for found money. 

Here's the 2019 class: 

https://247sports.com/player/parker-alford-46053526/

https://247sports.com/Player/Sam-Saxton-46052270/

https://247sports.com/player/jake-ehlinger-46055366/

http://www.hudl.com/profile/7349382/Nate-Hatter

https://247sports.com/Player/Austin-Hill-46056989/

https://247sports.com/Player/Jett-Bush-46055186/

https://247sports.com/Player/Austin-Hill-46056989/

https://www.hudl.com/profile/8745858/Doak-Wilson

https://247sports.com/Player/Chad-Wolf-46050829/

https://www.hudl.com/profile/8028105/Christian-Tschauner

https://247sports.com/Player/Patrick-Bayouth-46037309/

https://247sports.com/Player/Myles-Mass-46039975/

This is 2018:

#96 Tristan Bennett, DL-Soph., 6-3 240, Irving (TX) Ranchview
#46 Luke Brockermeyer, LB-FR, 6-3 215, Fort Worth (TX) All Saints Episcopal
#79 Matt Frost, OL-FR, 6-3 265, Folsom (CA)
#52 Jackson Hanna, LB-FR, 6-2 215, Houston (TX) St. Thomas
#54 Justin Mader, DS-FR, 6-4 225, Magnolia (TX)
#18 Tremayne Prudehomme, QB-FR, 6-1 185, Houston (TX) Aldine Davis
#23 Jarrett Smith, RB-FR, 5-7 195, Webster (TX) Clear Brook
#23 Turner Symonds, DB-FR, 6-0 175, Fort Worth (TX) Country Day
#62 Jeremy Thompson-Sevon, DL/OL-FR, 6-2 240, Lewisville (TX) Hebron
#63 Troy Torres, DL-FR, 5-11 290, El Paso (TX) Bowie
#15 Travis West, WR-FR, 6-0 175, Dallas (TX) Wilson
#36 Kamari Williams, RB-FR, 5-9 175, Conroe (TX) Oak Ridge


You should be pleasantly surprised after watching film of some of these guys. 

**

What is a Preferred Walk On? It's a non-scholarship player with a guaranteed spot on the roster. They don't have to audition in the Spring and be subjected to an open try out. Once on the roster, walk-ons get the same medical, training, dining (a recent positive change), and equipment benefits as scholarship athletes. 

At Texas under Herman, they're being afforded a degree of respect, benefits and inclusiveness that few programs can match.

Texas is only two years in to a plan that by its very nature takes time and the right conditions (or rather, strength and conditioning) for its seeds to grow, but it's useful to point to the revamped preferred walk on program at Texas - particularly as a subset of overall recruiting and development for all athletes - as a good illustration of what Herman is doing best here in Austin. 

We tend to conceive of coaching as Xs and Os, game planning, and assistant hires but the superstructure of a program is just as, if not more, important. That's the real lesson of programs like Alabama, Clemson and, yes, the New England Patriots. The Xs and Os are on point, but the culture and institution building is nonpareil. 

Why do we even care? Aren't these players just glorified tackling dummies, occasionally helping the "real players" get a look? Every now and again, you give one of them an extra scholarship for their sacrifice and film a viral video that makes everyone tear up a little.

Well, I think Herman has more ambitious ideas. And it's written all over the quality of players coming into this PWO program. Watch the film. Look at their other offers. There's a clear talent identification and engagement protocol being run by our personnel staff and I'm pretty impressed by it. Here's why it matters:

They can be guarantors of program culture. While you want your best players to be your leaders, walk-ons can set a hell of an example and be a positive infrastructure. With a college system increasingly geared towards playing elite freshman and good players leaving after three years to the NFL, cultural transfer and the way a program does things has to be constantly re-established. You don't want the coaches constantly establishing it. You want it to be player enforced. Walk-ons will be here for four or five years. All of them got into Texas, so academics are on point. Same with overall organization and maturity. In short, they set a good example and they have institutional memory. A good walk-on can inculcate culture even more directly. When a 23 year old walk-on with five years of S&C and maturity under his belt gives a physically immature 18 year old 4 star recruit an ass whipping in a matt drill or scrimmage, it's an eye opening imperative to take their own development seriously. They also know our offense, defense and our Big 12 opponents backwards and forwards. You want players hearing more constructive voices than just the coaches. Coaches, like parents, get tuned out fast. 

They enforce a standard and create competition. The difference between a PWO who passed up legitimate P-5 scholarship offers, a West Point football appointment, or a full ride to Sam Houston State or an Ivy is a difference in kind from a marginal high school starter who really loves Texas and has always wanted to be a part of the program. Herman's best PWO profiles are former high school stars, often from winning programs, who, because of one or two physical traits, weren't considered Texas material. Or are at least very interesting late bloomers specifically identified at positions where late bloomers with certain physical traits (see Tight End) will often grow into studs. 

If your scholarship guys have to actually try during practice in order not to be shown up, they get better at football. They grow their skills. They actually have to apply teaching and can't just try to turn it on when game day rolls around. The starters and coaches actually get a realistic sense of what the opponents Xs are trying to do to your Os, because schemes without real play speed are useless. 

They create depth and possibly free money starters. Beyond raising the bar at practice, if you stack enough of these guys with legit lower tier D1 offers, legacies with a love of Texas and favorable genetics who opted for Austin rather than a full ride elsewhere, or odd traits that throw off standard evaluation (see Jarrett Smith, the dynamic 5'6" RB), we'll end up with an eventual starter or depth chart asset. In a good way, not desperation. And even if desperation, you'd rather have an option than not.

I look specifically at interior OL, LB, TE, any kicker, blocking fullback and slot receiver as the most likely positional candidates to provide a possible major contributor. Those positions are all hard to project, with late blooming potential and athletic traits that can change radically with S&C. We're probably less likely to see an outside WR, DL or CB be a major contributor, but anything can happen at any position.

Good walk-ons just create program floor. A mature 4th or 5th year walk-on who could have started for an Academy is a pretty damn respectable football player. Under the right circumstances, a team comprised of them can win 11 games and beat Houston by 56 points in a bowl game. 

Striking gold. This is the dream. Every now and then you strike on a Clay Matthews, Aeneas Williams, Baker Mayfield, JJ Watt, Carl Nassib, Jordy Nelson or Antonio Brown. The odds of that increase substantially the higher the baseline quality of PWO. Less ambitiously, simply developing a few guys who can legitimately earn spots on special teams, round out a depth chart or can turn into a starting kicker, blocking fullback or deep snapper is incredibly valuable to a roster. 

Herman has a plan here and his player personnel staff are executing pretty damn well against it. I'm optimistic about what it will yield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

PWO classes vary wildly.  Some players simply get “invited” to be a walk on, which means they have to enroll on their own and then try out for the team.  Also a walk on, even a preferred walk on, is not guaranteed a spot each year.  Many are told after spring ball that they will have to try out to make the team next year.  The PWO spot is typically only good for your first year unless you’re on the depth chart or a specialist (like a long snapper).

IIRC the maximum number of player a team can have is 125, meaning you can field a total of 40 walk ons.  My guess is that you’d see around 12-13 of these a year but some programs offer more (knowing that if the recruit enrolls in their own dime they are unlikely to transfer) and that ensures that you get the quality out of the additional quantity.  Getting a starter out of your WOs is like winning the lottery, but having a few quality depth guys or special team player is what most programs strive for.  That being said, the primary reason for the WO program is to field a scout team.  Coaches and QA evaluate the walk ons all year for talent and effort and typically after spring ball they let the less talented or lazy ones know that they’ll need to tryout again next season.  Either they’ll work hard all summer preparing for tryouts or they’ll simply quit, but either way the program wins.

Question #2 depends on the program, I think I heard that PWO’s and WO that are invited to return can live in the same dorm as the scholarship athletes at UT but obviously if you simply walk onto the team in a Fall camp moving into a the dorm would be a logistical nightmare.

Yes they can have access to the same resources, facilities, counselors, advisers, etc; and they do at Texas now, but that wasn’t the case a few years ago, nor is it the same across all schools.  Meals are different, and schools have committed violations trying to figure that tricky part out since a student meal card for a regular student doesn’t have the same food options as those for athletes.  So I’m honestly not sure what UT’s meal policy is for PWOs.

Is TKthunder2 Scipio Tex??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Is TKthunder2 Scipio Tex??

LOL, he knew, or claims to know the dining plan but yeah his take is pretty spot on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thx to Machinator for this..... (Inside Texas)

PARKER ALFORD

When Scipio Tex waxed poetic on the growing Preferred Walk-On program at Texas, it was a genuine look at UT landing high school prospects that other schools pursued. Except the Horns get them for free. 

For the 6-foot-0, 175-pound pass-catcher from Dripping Springs, the programs that offered/recruited Alford were Louisville, Arizona, Rice, and UTEP, and few Ivy League institutions. But when Texas came calling, the Longhorn legacy didn’t have to think about it too long. 

“Yeah, I wasn’t sure what was going to happen,” said Parker. “But I think I had a feeling all along that I’d end up at Texas.”
For a kid with his measurables, UT flat out stole this prospect. At The Opening Regionals last summer, he posted impressive numbers. 

He ran 4.59 (40, laser), 36.7” (vertical), and an eye-opening 3.95 (shuttle), the top time in the nation for Nike. 

“I’m really excited about (Texas), some good things are going to happen in the next couple years,” Parker explained. “Just every time I visited (UT), it felt like home,” Parker said. “All the coaches knew who I was and talked to me which really impressed me for a program as prestigious as Texas.” 

As a senior, he tallied over 2,000+ all-purpose yards, to go with 20 TDs, and 22.6 yards per catch. 

Now, he’ll join a group of PWOs in Austin that most of could be on scholarship at another school. That’s the essence of building a program at every level. Mensa Tom, y’all. 

https://247sports.com/player/parker-alford-46053526/

Edited by LTtxfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:04 AM, TKthunder2 said:

Not 100% but I think you have it backwards.  You can have 105 participating in Fall Camp prior to the first day of class, but after that time you can have a total team roster of 125, will try to find a link to confirm. 

 

edit: https://www.athleticscholarships.net/2014/02/05/the-meaning-of-a-preferred-walk-on.htm

 

FBS football teams are limited to 105 participants between the start of fall camp and the first game or start of school (whichever comes first). These walk-ons have to come to campus early and the institution will be footing the bill for their housing and food during preseason practice, so it is important to distinguish who should come in early August and who should wait until school starts.”

Are you sure there's actually a 125 limit? I think the limit is basically just logistical, like how many lockers, etc, you have 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m wondering if Herman’s focus on PWO is part of a contingency against the new transfer rules.  As 3rd string scholarship players become more and more likely to transfer elsewhere for playing time, there won’t always be time to recruit replacements.  Replacing the old “grades and character” walk-ons with the new “fringy offer” types is a brilliant hedge.  It’s also probably part of the sales pitch; with all the transfers, the odds of some of these PWOs getting scholarships go way up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Snake Diggity said:

I’m wondering if Herman’s focus on PWO is part of a contingency against the new transfer rules.  As 3rd string scholarship players become more and more likely to transfer elsewhere for playing time, there won’t always be time to recruit replacements.  Replacing the old “grades and character” walk-ons with the new “fringy offer” types is a brilliant hedge.  It’s also probably part of the sales pitch; with all the transfers, the odds of some of these PWOs getting scholarships go way up.

Not only that, but how often do "fringey P5" players turn into worldbeaters in the non-P5 conferences?  Often.  So find guys with traits that show they may have that potential; stash them for a few years while trying to devleop them; and see if you hit the jackpot.  If you do, you're knee fucking deep in the money.  If you don't, you've developed a strong scout team/depth program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Fud said:

Are you sure there's actually a 125 limit? I think the limit is basically just logistical, like how many lockers, etc, you have 

I thought so, but I quick google just showed Frost at Nebraska was trying to increase his squad size to 200.  I know there are restrictions on how many can travel and how many can dress out and participate in gameplay but maybe I pulled it from one of those.  Will have to look later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fud said:

Are you sure there's actually a 125 limit? I think the limit is basically just logistical, like how many lockers, etc, you have 

 

4 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

I thought so, but I quick google just showed Frost at Nebraska was trying to increase his squad size to 200.  I know there are restrictions on how many can travel and how many can dress out and participate in gameplay but maybe I pulled it from one of those.  Will have to look later.

105 limit in off-season. No limit during season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...