Jump to content
Patrick Bateman

2019 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Rebuild or Run it Back?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

So that's Becky and that Hardy guy? Time to bring back carlisimo. 

Meh, pop always finds good coaches.  

Will Hardy is staying. He’s moving to the main bench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
2 hours ago, chikin23 said:
Duncan, Ginoboli, and Parker - no better big three in NBA history.

Kawhi Lowry and Siakam are in the running

tenor.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
2 hours ago, chikin23 said:
Duncan, Ginoboli, and Parker - no better big three in NBA history.

Kawhi Lowry and Siakam are in the running

Nah dude, Garnett, Wally, and the guy who chokes on and off the basketball court.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
3 hours ago, chikin23 said:
Duncan, Ginoboli, and Parker - no better big three in NBA history.

Kawhi Lowry and Siakam are in the running

Rubio,  Flynn and Lawson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
4 hours ago, chikin23 said:
Duncan, Ginoboli, and Parker - no better big three in NBA history.

Kawhi Lowry and Siakam are in the running

Tried to neg you twice, wouldn't let me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

According to ESPN, the Pelicans’ new executive VP of basketball operations David Griffin wants an All-Star player in the package — along with a player with All-Star potential and two first-round picks.

 

Aldridge and Derozan for AD, do it Pop.

It'd probably be more like DeRozan, White, and two firsts and frankly, it probably isn't near enough....  If LMA was 3-4 years younger maybe.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It'd probably be more like DeRozan, White, and two firsts and frankly, it probably isn't near enough....  If LMA was 3-4 years younger maybe.

 

By the letter of the request we're exceeding it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

By the letter of the request we're exceeding it

While I know you're having a little fun..... here's the actual quote:

Quote

Griffin is pursuing a combination of assets that include an All-Star player, a young player with All-Star potential and two first-round picks, league sources said.

DeRozan ain't young anymore.... BUT, if Tony comes back to sign a one day contract, we can include him!  Then they get a Hall of Famer, All Star, All-Star potential and 2 first rounders!  Who says no?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking back, I wonder if the Spurs make a better attempt to resign Tony had they known dejiunte was going to be out for the season. Would have been nice to have a real point guard on the team .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Looking back, I wonder if the Spurs make a better attempt to resign Tony had they known dejiunte was going to be out for the season. Would have been nice to have a real point guard on the team .  

He would have taken minutes away from White and Forbes (and some Patty) and perhaps stunted some of their growth so I think PATFO is okay with their decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He would have taken minutes away from White and Forbes (and some Patty) and perhaps stunted some of their growth so I think PATFO is okay with their decision.

Do you really see a future for Forbes?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Do you really see a future for Forbes?  

More of a future than 37 year old Tony?  Yea.  I mean, you have to see if those can play and while I think Forbes is limited, he proved he can be a bench guy in the league this year and that was one of the few bright spots to the season.  I love what TP did for the team and organizations and fans, but I don't think PATFO is having major regrets about not guaranteeing him minutes at the expense of the young guards.  JMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony deserves more love. True, Timmeh and Manu are closer to my heart, but can't think of one without the other two coming to mind.

Fuck, man. Sad day. We were spoiled to have them for so long, yet it still went too fast.

giphy.gif

TediousBraveIvorybackedwoodswallow-size_

source.gif

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

All of a sudden it seems like the window has opened a lot for 2020. I really like our backcourt rotation - who are we targeting in FA or who would you like to see as a Spur next season? 

Early thought would be potentially taking a flyer on Valancinuas. 

We won't be title favorites but I think we can definitely contend. 

I would also love chasing Bojan - we are thin at SF

Edited by ztejas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How are we thin at SF with DD and Lonnie Walker? We need an actual rim protector.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, ztejas said:

All of a sudden it seems like the window has opened a lot for 2020. I really like our backcourt rotation - who are we targeting in FA or who would you like to see as a Spur next season? 

Early thought would be potentially taking a flyer on Valancinuas. 

We won't be title favorites but I think we can definitely contend. 

I would also love chasing Bojan - we are thin at SF

We're over the cap and only have our exceptions to spend which they're hoping to use to lure back Rudy.  The team won't look that different except for draft picks unless we move a major piece like LMA or DD.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Draft in a week.  The one thing for sure about a spurs draft: if any player is at all mentioned by the media or rumor Mill as a spurs potential pick, there is a 100% chance they are NOT the pick.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Draft in a week.  The one thing for sure about a spurs draft: if any player is at all mentioned by the media or rumor Mill as a spurs potential pick, there is a 100% chance they are NOT the pick.

 

Watched ESPN's mock draft special.  It was so fucking bad and of course, they had the Spurs drafting not one, but two Euro's.  We've drafted 2 Euro players in the first round in the last 11 years and 1 in the last 5.  So lazy...

 

 

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We're over the cap and only have our exceptions to spend which they're hoping to use to lure back Rudy.  The team won't look that different except for draft picks unless we move a major piece like LMA or DD.

 

We're only about $5 million over if we don't resign Rudy and pick up every other option/resign. 

I guess I'm asking if we are planning on resigning him or chasing a free agent and potentially making a trade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hate said:

How are we thin at SF with DD and Lonnie Walker? We need an actual rim protector.

Because they are both undersized SFs? 

DeRozan and LW4 are optimally shooting guards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kawhi Lowry and Siakam are in the running


Their future playoff opponents won’t all self mutilate themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 8:34 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

Tony deserves more love. True, Timmeh and Manu are closer to my heart, but can't think of one without the other two coming to mind.

Fuck, man. Sad day. We were spoiled to have them for so long, yet it still went too fast.

giphy.gif

TediousBraveIvorybackedwoodswallow-size_

source.gif

giphy.gif

I miss em. NBA aint the same for me anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ztejas said:

We're only about $5 million over if we don't resign Rudy and pick up every other option/resign. 

I guess I'm asking if we are planning on resigning him or chasing a free agent and potentially making a trade. 

Only if you renounce Rudy because his cap hold is a little over 13 million.  Most reports have us very much wanting to re-sign Rudy.  The only way we can do much in FA is to move LMA, DD or Patty and renounce Rudy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's an apples and oranges thing because AD is a sure thing to re-sign in LA and while he has health issues they aren't nearly as nebulous or perceived the same way as Kawhi's... but my gawd what the Lakers gave up for him vs. Derozen, Poetl and a late first rounder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I know it's an apples and oranges thing because AD is a sure thing to re-sign in LA and while he has health issues they aren't nearly as nebulous or perceived the same way as Kawhi's... but my gawd what the Lakers gave up for him vs. Derozen, Poetl and a late first rounder. 

Yea, there were many more questions around Kawhi's health at the time, but also I've never thought PATFO did a good job with his trade.  Felt like they wanted to send him East and within that prism, they took the first deal that sounded okay.  To send Danny instead of Patty also was a really bad part of the trade.  We've been spoiled in most of PATFO's decisions, but Kawhi's trade was not one of their shining moments, IMO.  Felt like it was more personal than business.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yea, there were many more questions around Kawhi's health at the time, but also I've never thought PATFO did a good job with his trade.  Felt like they wanted to send him East and within that prism, they took the first deal that sounded okay.  To send Danny instead of Patty also was a really bad part of the trade.  We've been spoiled in most of PATFO's decisions, but Kawhi's trade was not one of their shining moments, IMO.  Felt like it was more personal than business.  

Yup. That trade was just delaying the inevitable, but I’ve already fucked that chicken many times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yea, there were many more questions around Kawhi's health at the time, but also I've never thought PATFO did a good job with his trade.  Felt like they wanted to send him East and within that prism, they took the first deal that sounded okay.  To send Danny instead of Patty also was a really bad part of the trade.  We've been spoiled in most of PATFO's decisions, but Kawhi's trade was not one of their shining moments, IMO.  Felt like it was more personal than business.  

Interesting to look back and think that if either the Sixers or Celtics -- moreso the Sixers -- had made the deal for Kawhi, they almost certainly are NBA champs right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, C-Man said:

Interesting to look back and think that if either the Sixers or Celtics -- moreso the Sixers -- had made the deal for Kawhi, they almost certainly are NBA champs right now.

What would that sixers team have looked like? Do they still get Harris and Butler? I can't remember the timing on everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yea, there were many more questions around Kawhi's health at the time, but also I've never thought PATFO did a good job with his trade.  Felt like they wanted to send him East and within that prism, they took the first deal that sounded okay.  To send Danny instead of Patty also was a really bad part of the trade.  We've been spoiled in most of PATFO's decisions, but Kawhi's trade was not one of their shining moments, IMO.  Felt like it was more personal than business.  

They tried to get the same haul from the Lakers but they weren't as desperate then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Llogg said:

What would that sixers team have looked like? Do they still get Harris and Butler? I can't remember the timing on everything.

They wouldn't have gone after Butler in the first place if they had Kawhi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Even though I'm as guilty as everybody else, I'm really trying to turn the page on the nephew and would be particularly appreciate if we could keep this thread clear of his bitchass going forward. This whole franchise and fanbase needs to move forward, which brings us to the the draft on Thursday.

I think the Spurs are going to get an impact player at 19. The field levels off after pick #3, so I think they have a good shot at finding a keeper. The thing you can never underestimate is the incompetence of the 18 teams picking in front of the Spurs. Zion is a no brainer as are the next two picks. So that leaves 15 picks for GMs to screw up before the Spurs go.

So let's break it down:


4. Pelicans - they are looking to move this pick allegedly. David Griffin mainly acted as Lebron's and Rich Paul's proxy in Cleveland (sure, let's give JR Smith 4 yrs/$57 million, great idea!).  IIRC, Griffin has never made a first round pick of his own. Nobody has any idea if he can competently identify young talent. If he's stuck with the pick, odds are he screws it up and nobody will care or notice because he lucked out in the lottery and will have draft picks coming out his ass from the Lakers over the next few years.

5. Cleveland - Koby Altman grew up in the Cavs highly dysfunctional organization. Again, zero history with making a first round pick. Odds are he screws it up.

6. Phoenix - James Jones is their GM du jour and a first timer at that. They are among the worst run teams in the league. Would be a stunner if they didn't botch the pick.

7. Chicago - Gar Forman has been there since 2009. He did draft Jimmy Butler at 30 but he also has guys like Tony Snell(#20), James Johnson(#16), Marquis Teague (#29), Doug McDermott -- he traded Nurkic and Gary Harris to get him (ouch), Bobby Portis, Denzell Valentine (#14), Lauri Markkanen via trade that included Jimmy Butler, Wendell Carter Jr and Chandler Hutchison on his resume. That isn't a great track record. The odds of him screwing this up are much greater than the odds of him not.

8. Atlanta - Travis Schlenk seems fairly competent. In only two drafts he has selected Trae Young and John Collins. Did they screw up by not taking Doncic? Probably, but Young is far from a bust and he probably makes a decent pick here because the guys in front of him will cull the herd for him.

9. Washington - they don't even have a GM right now. Almost certain that they screw the pooch with this pick.

10. Atlanta - see pick #8. I doubt they make two good selections in a row but figure they hit 50% between the both of them.

11. Minnesota - LOL. Will definitely screw up the pick. If they are lucky they will have to dump this with Wiggins so they don't have a chance to shit themselves again on draft night.

12. Charlotte - MJ. It is a given that they will screw up the pick.

13. Miami - they really haven't drafted well. Everybody thought Justice Winslow was a steal but hasn't panned out. Riley has built everything there (and subsequently run it into the ground) via trade and free agency. I think Wade was the last time they made an impact draft pick. They will probably screw it up.

14. Boston - Ainge has always done a pretty good job in the middle to late first round. He's had a lot of bullets, though and they are under pressure to do something. This seems like a place for him to swing for the fences and crap out instead of making the smart pick. I say they are due for a bust.

15. Detroit - Ed Stefanski made three nondescript non-impactful first round picks when he was with the Nets in the mid-2000s. He did draft Jrue Holiday when he was with the 76ers but also took Evan Turner #2 overall (yikes!) I would bank on him screwing this pick up.

16. Orlando - John Hammond has a pretty good track record in the draft from when he was with Milwaukee (Greek Freak, et al). He probably gets this one right, especially with all the morons picking in front of him.

17. Brooklyn - Sean Marks hasn't had much to work with since his predecessor traded away all their picks, but he did select Jarett Allen at 22. He's a coin filp at best to get this right.

18. Indiana - Kevin Pritchard has been there for three years. He selected TJ Leaf (#18) and Aaron Holiday (#23). Before that, at Portland he took Greg Oden over Kevin Durant (ouch - in any other industry that would be career suicide), Brandon Rush (#13), and Victor Claver (#22). He did draft one Patrick Mills at #55, though. He will almost for sure screw this up.

So there you have it. The first three picks are a given. Say one of the Atlanta picks is good, Orlando gets it right and maybe Brooklyn too. That puts the Spurs in actuality picking at #7. I think they find a decent player there.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
FKL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Some talk that Spurs might trade one of their 1st Rd picks for a couple of 2nds.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2019/6/17/18681079/exploring-trade-scenarios-san-antonio-spurs-move-down-draft.  

Cool Draft trade simulator....

http://nbasense.com/draft-pick-trade-value/trade-simulator

To clarify, it's an analysis IF, big if, they decide to move out of the first and into the second.  It starts off with some horrible analysis as it brings up the Hawks as a trade partner as they've pretty much telegraphed they want to move up in this draft.  However, the talk has been about Atlanta packaging some of their assets (multiple firsts) to move up in the first round because they have 3 firsts and don't want 3 first round rookies.  So this article operates under the premise that Atlanta somehow wants 4 first round rookie contracts.  After that, it simply reviews some players who may be available in the 2nd.  It's sloppy.  Realistically, we may trade down for a future assets as well as an extra 2nd this year.  Our roster is pretty filled out as of now, especially if we re-sign Rudy, under that premise the under contract roster looks like this:

Guards -- Murray, White, Mills, Forbes

Swing players -- DeRozan, Walker IV, Gay, Belinelli, Bertans

Bigs -- LMA, Poeltl, Metu

Now we could probably have Metu spend a lot of time in Austin, but Lonnie needs minutes with the big club so that's 12 under contract.  Pop will want his requisite old vet off the bench or two, so dependent on how young we want to go, I could see a trade out of 29 to get some roster flexibility and a better asset next year or 2020.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Maybe not the right place for this question, but how can new Orleans move or use the 4th pick of the trade doesn't officially happen until July?  Is it a handshake deal?

The Lakers will just make the pick for them. Not even Rob Pelinka would fuck that up.

Also, some real news:

First off, they need him and I think he's done everything they could have asked of him since he came to SA. Secondly, if I understand it correctly, signing him puts them over the cap and now gives them access to a $9 million exception to make other signings. So this seems like a no brainer. Hopefully the contract doesn't run more than two years and it coincides with Aldridge and Derozen coming off the books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The Lakers will just make the pick for them. Not even Rob Pelinka would fuck that up.

Also, some real news:

First off, they need him and I think he's done everything they could have asked of him since he came to SA. Secondly, if I understand it correctly, signing him puts them over the cap and now gives them access to a $9 million exception to make other signings. So this seems like a no brainer. Hopefully the contract doesn't run more than two years and it coincides with Aldridge and Derozen coming off the books.

Where does the $9MM exception come from? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Bigs -- LMA, Poeltl, Metu

Now we could probably have Metu spend a lot of time in Austin, but Lonnie needs minutes with the big club so that's 12 under contract.  Pop will want his requisite old vet off the bench or two, so dependent on how young we want to go, I could see a trade out of 29 to get some roster flexibility and a better asset next year or 2020.

 

I wouldn't be surprised if Metu isn't a part of the Spurs organization in any capacity in the near future unless he improves drastically. Metu has potential, but has a penchant for slipping up on the court and Pop has no patience for those types of players see Livio Jean Charles. Don't be surprised if the Spurs grab his replacement with one of their first rounders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're the Memphis GM - do you hang up the phone if PATFO asks you to sign and trade Valancinuas and the 2nd for DeRozan and 3 firsts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...