WCF: Warriors vs Blazers

Vic Mackey

13 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Klay erasing Dame is forgivable. That's what Klay does to the top guard. But if Golden State is going to continue guarding CJ with Steph, CJ has to be more aggressive.

Hard to take much from this one though. Portland is coming off an emotionally draining Game 7 at altitude two days ago. Whatever film work or gameplan they were able to squeeze in was minimal. They're not going to win this series, but they'll play better.

How much film work and gameplan do you need to know not to leave Steph Curry wide open at the three point line? You don't have to be Gregg Popovich to come up with the strategy of, "Yo Enes. You may want to get out of the restricted area when your man is setting a pick for Curry 25 feet from the basket." That is just unforgivable. At least force them to make one extra pass and have Iguodala or Draymond shoot a wide open three instead of Curry. The Warriors didn't even seem that into it last night and still pulled away from them easily. 

• Haha 1

The bottom half of the west bracket wasn't strong, the East isn't great and no one has a clue how good the bucks are when they have played the worse team in the Pistons and the most dysfunctional team in the Celtics, they might not even get past Toronto. No one is beating the Warriors in a 7 game series though.

Portland is not Houston.  Absent huge games from Portland's backcourt (their only puncher's chance), they are going to lose this series even without KD.  I personally think the Warriors can win the NBA title this year even without KD but obviously it would be a much harder lift against the EC team and no HC advantage.  

The Warriors are back to playing watchable basketball now that Durant is out. Funny how that always happens. When and if he comes back, it will be back to just standing around and watching him iso up players and shoot. Curry and Thompson work off each other so much better without the ball stopping Durant on the floor. He takes them out their rhythm they have with each other.

On 5/15/2019 at 11:58 AM, Dutchrudder said:

Does anyone honestly think Portland has a chance here?  I'm not even watching this series, I expect it to be done in 4. 

It’ll be a gentleman’s sweep. Steph will be off one game (while KD is out) and it’ll be over in 5.

4 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

ESPN really doesn't care either:

To add to this, Mike Breen said "as the Warriors try to make the WCF for the 5th straight year" right before the broadcast started. 

You mean the Finals, Mike. 

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

This stretch will hurt Portland. Curry on the bench for several minutes and they can't widen the gap.

?

They were doing fine with Curry not on the bench. 

Lillard isn't out there either. 

Edited by ztejas

5 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

This is totally the type of KD game where he bails out their 20% 3pt shooting and horrible defense. 

Do you expect that to continue though? One half, guys. If this isn’t a tight game by the start of the 4th quarter, I’ll be surprised. The warriors of all teams had a bad half shooting, at home. If there’s ever a time for regression to the mean, it’s right now.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

4 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Do you expect that to continue though? One half, guys. If this isn’t a tight game by the start of the 4th quarter, I’ll be surprised. The warriors of all teams had a bad half shooting, at home. If there’s ever a time for regression to the mean, it’s right now.

No you're totally right. Being down 15 at the half at home is totally what playoff teams strive for with their best player riding the pine. 

27 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Kanters playing like hes fasting...that has to be detrimental to the team.

Whats the story with CJ/Jennifer?

I think it was after CJ and KD got in a little offseason spat (CJ basically called KD out for joining a superteam instead of competing), that some random Twitter nobody named Jennifer said "win a playoff game, then talk." CJ, instead of being a smartass or a dick wrote back "im trying jennifer."

KD being out really throws a wrench in the predictably of this game. With KD and a tie game going into the 4th, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that KD is going to do KD things, Steph will hit a shot or two, and the Warriors will pull away late. Right now? Who the hell knows. Should make for some fun basketball.

34 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Good call - but to expound, the issue with runs like that is that they require a lot of energy. Exertion like that stacks up over a 7 game series. 

Ideally you wouldn't need to come back from down 15 in the 3rd. The Warriors might take this one yet, but they are not a very deep team and cannot afford another injury to a key player right now. Durant lightens the load for everyone involved on both ends - whether they win or lose on any given night. It's why they've been able to extend a dynastic run that was in jeopardy after 2016. 

This is also a very good match up for the Ws in the WCF - I think they would have struggled much more against Denver and Jokic. They will need Durant against MIL - but to get there it is requiring a lot of desperate, balls to the wall play to protect HCA. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Good call - but to expound, the issue with runs like that is that they require a lot of energy. Exertion like that stacks up over a 7 game series. 

Ideally you wouldn't need to come back from down 15 in the 3rd. The Warriors might take this one yet, but they are not a very deep team and cannot afford another injury to a key player right now. Durant lightens the load for everyone involved on both ends - whether they win or lose on any given night. It's why they've been able to extend a dynastic run that was in jeopardy after 2016. 

This is also a very good match up for the Ws in the WCF - I think they would have struggled much more against Denver and Jokic. They will need Durant against MIL - but to get there it is requiring a lot of desperate, balls to the wall play to protect HCA. 

I mean, I don’t really think they exerted that much energy right there. That’s just what they do. The ball was moving all over the place, they’re shooting 3s in transition. Klay is hot. The Vegas spread was warriors -7.5. That’s a quick 1 minute run for the warriors. I might agree with you more if they were on the road, but at home, these shots were eventually going to fall.

4 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I mean, I don’t really think they exerted that much energy right there. That’s just what they do. The ball was moving all over the place, they’re shooting 3s in transition. Klay is hot. The Vegas spread was warriors -7.5. That’s a quick 1 minute run for the warriors. I might agree with you more if they were on the road, but at home, these shots were eventually going to fall.

Dude gtfo of here with Vegas spreads in a playoff game. Go tell me what the live line is right now - I bet it isn't GS -7.5. 

And the fact that they are at home is entirely the point - they can't really afford to lose HCA with a question mark on KD's return. 

Portland isn't done yet - this will come down to the wire I guarantee you. 

And just like that Blazers up 8.

Edited by ztejas