Not a cat

What's your best fishing trip ever?

This past weekend, I was thinking about my first ever experience wade fishing.  I grew up in Corpus Christi, but my family didn't fish much.  Just the occasional trip on a friend's boat to soak bait.  We were a sports and beach family.  

After college, I got way into hunting, but still didn't fish much.  I had a customer of mine that I had gotten to be pretty good friends with.  He had a house in Magnolia Beach and invited me down there with a few other acquaintances for some wade fishing.  All artificials.  I had zero experience with either, but figured I'd give it a shot.  We met Friday after work and headed for the coast.  We get to his place around 8:00.  It's March, so it's still chilly and the sun had already set.  I'm assuming that, like most of my other fishing trips to that point, we'd hang out and drink beer that night and get up when we got up the next morning to fish.  Wrong.  We climbed in the boat and headed out for some night wade fishing.  Having never wade fished before (let alone at night), I apprehensively got in the water and didn't stray more than 50 yds from the boat.  I didn't catch shit.  They caught a few trout.  We fished til around midnight.

The next morning, we got up early and hauled ass in some dense ass fog to Keller Bay.  In the water as the sun's coming up.  By lunch, I had a stringer full of a limit of trout, a few redfish and a few black drum.  I even had a dolphin get within a few feet of me.  My buddy was yelling "lift up your damn stringer!!!".  It was terrifying and exhilarating and so damn much fun.  I was hooked.  We fished our asses off that weekend.  Literally sun up to sun down both days.  Got home well after 10 PM Sunday.  Those guys were all waaaaay more into fishing than I have ever been.  It was a great exposure to folks who truly love fishing.

I don't get down to the coast as much as I'd like.  And, when I do now, it's usually with my kids, so wade fishing excursions are few and far between.  And, I've never come close to replicating that day in terms of success.  I didn't realize at the time how special that was for a fishing hack like myself.  

1983, home from my first semester of college in December.  Snow on the ground at Lake Texoma.  My Dad, brother and I caught dozens of stripers.  One after another, all three of us had fish on multiple times. At the end of the day our thumbs were raw from picking up fish by their bottom lip. We threw back more than we kept, and we kept probably 25 fish.  Epic. 

Lake Texoma mid spring Stripers.

Stay on Texas side. Okie wardens are assholes are maybe just normal Okies.

Hard to tell O U sucks.

Edited by Alex Karev
Spelling

I was in Mexico one time with the ex and a group of her friends and their bfs. They all decided to hire a boat and go out fishing. We didn’t catch shit and toward the end of the day a kidney stone decided it was time to make my life miserable. That’s pretty much the best fishing trip I ever had, not sure I would recommend it though.

My UT roommate and I decided to take a road trip/fly fishing trip the summer I finished at UT and was headed off to grad school (roommate dropped out of UT a few years earlier). We loaded up his 4 Runner and drove up the eastern side of the Rockies to the CA border and then headed south to San Diego along the Pacific coast for about 5 weeks before heading back to Texas.

i had been fly fishing on the San Juan river the previous summer as part of my geology field camp class in the 4 corners area so we headed there first.  Caught a bunch of trout there but decided if it was that good there, it would be even better as we headed north.

We stopped a few places along the way but didn’t catch crap...

Got to Yellowstone and after a few days of fishing but not really having any luck, we decided that we’d have one last fishing day before heading to the West Coast. We stopped by the fly shop we had been dumping money on the past few days and mentioned we were done and were leaving because the fishing wasn’t panning out as we had hoped.  The guy in the shop said that before we left, he’d put us on a spot. He said to drive west past Quake lake west of W.Yellowstone, cross the first bridge we encountered west of the dam, park the truck there and walk west until we hit the first fence line and fish the hole there...

i caught at least 40 rainbows within 2 hours and it seemed to get a hit on every cast.  My buddy was doing the same but fell in at one point and filled his waders with ice water so we had to cut the session short as he was freezing. Best fishing I ever had in my life... That being said - the dumbasses we were - we ended up packing up camp and headed to the west coast the next morning rather than going back to the same spot for the next few days as we were meeting some girls we knew in San Fran and later in San Diego...  Yes, each of us ended up getting laid in Cali but I still kick myself 25 years later for not having spent another few days going back to that honey hole... Best fishing spot I ever visited...

Not sure if you can even access that spot any more but I plan on trying to get to the same spot next summer with my boys...

Four years ago.  About 130 miles out of Freeport near floater rigs.  We caught 3 swordfish at night.    What I could not eat, I vacuum sealed swordfish steaks and put in deep freezer.  Man we ate that almost once a week for two years.  The last steak, which was two years old, tasted just as good as fresh.

During the day we trolled and went 3 for 9 on blue marlin, caught 7-8 Wahoo, 5 or 6 Dorado.

We stopped at our bottom fishing spot and caught a limit of snapper.

It was a fucking meat haul.  Gave a bunch a way and we all filled our freezers. 

11 hours ago, Grimas said:

My UT roommate and I decided to take a road trip/fly fishing trip the summer I finished at UT and was headed off to grad school (roommate dropped out of UT a few years earlier). We loaded up his 4 Runner and drove up the eastern side of the Rockies to the CA border and then headed south to San Diego along the Pacific coast for about 5 weeks before heading back to Texas.

i had been fly fishing on the San Juan river the previous summer as part of my geology field camp class in the 4 corners area so we headed there first.  Caught a bunch of trout there but decided if it was that good there, it would be even better as we headed north.

We stopped a few places along the way but didn’t catch crap...

Got to Yellowstone and after a few days of fishing but not really having any luck, we decided that we’d have one last fishing day before heading to the West Coast. We stopped by the fly shop we had been dumping money on the past few days and mentioned we were done and were leaving because the fishing wasn’t panning out as we had hoped.  The guy in the shop said that before we left, he’d put us on a spot. He said to drive west past Quake lake west of W.Yellowstone, cross the first bridge we encountered west of the dam, park the truck there and walk west until we hit the first fence line and fish the hole there...

i caught at least 40 rainbows within 2 hours and it seemed to get a hit on every cast.  My buddy was doing the same but fell in at one point and filled his waders with ice water so we had to cut the session short as he was freezing. Best fishing I ever had in my life... That being said - the dumbasses we were - we ended up packing up camp and headed to the west coast the next morning rather than going back to the same spot for the next few days as we were meeting some girls we knew in San Fran and later in San Diego...  Yes, each of us ended up getting laid in Cali but I still kick myself 25 years later for not having spent another few days going back to that honey hole... Best fishing spot I ever visited...

Not sure if you can even access that spot any more but I plan on trying to get to the same spot next summer with my boys...

Getting laid in Cali was the right call. With 100% certainty that spot would have sucked the next day. That’s how fishing works.