The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I bought this a few years ago (it was non-playable with all the wiring f’d up). I’ve messed with it every so often between time under my bed. It’s finally finished and playable.

I replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncans, switched to locking tuners, changed out the bridge, drilled holes to go from a single volume/tone to volume/tone for each pickup and of course re-wired it. I also added a new pickguard and back plate. Basically everything except the wood is new.

abcae11e079ba6da96b02ac42db4fec8.jpg
I wanted something a bit “metal” :)

It actually sounds great, especially at the low end.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I bought this a few years ago (it was non-playable with all the wiring f’d up). I’ve messed with it every so often between time under my bed. It’s finally finished and playable.

I replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncans, switched to locking tuners, changed out the bridge, drilled holes to go from a single volume/tone to volume/tone for each pickup and of course re-wired it. I also added a new pickguard and back plate. Basically everything except the wood is new.

abcae11e079ba6da96b02ac42db4fec8.jpg
I wanted something a bit “metal” :)

It actually sounds great, especially at the low end.

Did that start out as an SG Special?  I can't remember one which had only a single volume/tone knob.

12 hours ago, dcbc said:

.................posted something by mistake  .............................

image.png.9d52074da59101e3b7572deea5bfe56b.png

i've been keeping my office humidity at 50%. It's bananas how quick it drops when I open the door this time of year - just checked and the rest of the house is at 25.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, G650 said:

That "Dusty" money clip is kind of cool.  David Beebe of Banana Blender/El Orbits/Continental Club/Marfa JP notoriety bought a painted longhorn skull with some feathers and shit on it from the collection.  It's pretty nifty, I guess.

I kind of feel like, with this auction, if you're going to bid, you probably have a set of Astrodome seats or the like in your collection already.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

image.png.9d52074da59101e3b7572deea5bfe56b.png

i've been keeping my office humidity at 50%. It's bananas how quick it drops when I open the door this time of year - just checked and the rest of the house is at 25.

I am running 2 dehumidifiers in a 400 sq foot space and have trouble keeping it below 55%. Singapore humidity is intense.

350cbe7b8adf64bf2c9a7817f507d52c.jpg

7 hours ago, tbone_ said:

He bought a new 0028 Martin from Fullers, no thanks to help from you guys emoji6.png

1ba4fec4d202b852db73e85cb072ae9a.jpg

Fuller's!  That's the place.  Heights, right?  It was on the tip of my tongue.

There used to be a couple of great guitar shops on W. Alabama back in the 90s.  Can't remember the names of those either.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Celery Man said:

No idea if it was good or not but I remember Rockin Robin existing.

Mixed emotions.  They had good stuff, but I don't recall ever getting best best deals there.  That said, that's where I picked up my Deluxe Reverb in the 90s.   I know for a fact they truly believed they screwed me on that deal. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I bought the Squier on Sale for $343 + tax from the Fender website.

A month later, it was basically $305+ tax. 🤬

I don’t need the Fender version. I do like the Strat body with the 24.75” scale, and no stupid knobs or switches in the way. 
❤️

• Hook 'Em 1

While we're on MIJ Strats...

Tonight i visited this one that a friend still stores for me. It's an '87 w/ Kahler trem from the pointy guitar era. I bought it cheap 5 or 6 ago to find that the replacement trem arms were impossible to find and the previous owner had blocked the trem anyway.

Plugged it in and it plays and sounds great, even w the strings that have been on there for however long it's been at his place.

He did not even remember he had it and we had to dig around his basement to find it. Maybe it's time I revisit finding a trem arm.

20240125_174104.jpg20240125_174127.jpg20240125_174107.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

While we're on MIJ Strats...

Tonight i visited this one that a friend still stores for me. It's an '87 w/ Kahler trem from the pointy guitar era. I bought it cheap 5 or 6 ago to find that the replacement trem arms were impossible to find and the previous owner had blocked the trem anyway.

Plugged it in and it plays and sounds great, even w the strings that have been on there for however long it's been at his place.

He did not even remember he had it and we had to dig around his basement to find it. Maybe it's time I revisit finding a trem arm.

20240125_174104.jpg20240125_174127.jpg20240125_174107.jpg

Beautiful.  I have a Tokai that looks exactly like that except for the headstock, obviously.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I bought the Squier on Sale for $343 + tax from the Fender website.

A month later, it was basically $305+ tax. 🤬

I don’t need the Fender version. I do like the Strat body with the 24.75” scale, and no stupid knobs or switches in the way. 
❤️

As good as the quality of Squier's have been of late, at least from what I've seen, that's probably the best option.  In this case you're getting a "vintage" guitar though, so that resale value...

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, G650 said:

I think I mentioned it before, but I actually have one of the original run of those straps from the 60s that I pilfered off my dad like 30 years ago.

I have a buddy who is super into straps.  Like he buys and sells them on Reverb, etc.  Someone just gave him a box of old straps from the 60s.  He has at least one of all the famous straps you can think of.  I guess that's what you do when you've filled up all the space you have with guitars, amps, and pedals.  The nooks and crannies get straps.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I've always been fairly strap agnostic myself somehow, but I've taken a little more interest the past year or so for whatever reason.

I know my pops had the original strap that Page was using in Song Remains the Same because I have a picture of him using it, but not sure if he still has it. I probably should pester him as he is downsizing these days. Supposed to get one of his Acoustic bass amps he has piled up in the garage at some point.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Probably not popular but I am team Earnie Ball black nylon strap. Because it slide across my shirts and doesn’t catch on them when I fidget with the guitar and I like the strap to disappear. No one notices it.

Lame I know. But easy.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, G650 said:

I know my pops had the original strap that Page was using in Song Remains the Same because I have a picture of him using it, but not sure if he still has it.

Wait, what?  You mean the same model, right?

I'm team nylon because I'm a cheap-ass, but I've had mine cause a guitar dive bomb enough times that I'm looking into strap locks and some nice old-school leather straps.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Wait, what?  You mean the same model, right?

I'm team nylon because I'm a cheap-ass, but I've had mine cause a guitar dive bomb enough times that I'm looking into strap locks and some nice old-school leather straps.

Lol, yeah I meant same model, not the actual one.

13 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Probably not popular but I am team Earnie Ball black nylon strap. Because it slide across my shirts and doesn’t catch on them when I fidget with the guitar and I like the strap to disappear. No one notices it.

Lame I know. But easy.

I had one strap for like 20 years, it may have been an Ernie Ball. It's black I know that. I remember I got it back then because it was a 60" strap and they used to be impossible to find.

I got a Martin leather strap as a gift at some point in time and have used it exclusively for over 20 years.  I don't' know if I could use anything else.  It's super comfortable, but not in a Phil Lesh way.

Phil-Strap.png

I do want it. But that guitar is worth $800. Maybe.

Then that’s what you should offer.

I’m telling you I got a whopper of a deal on my 54 LP custom ri posted up thread because it was clear to me that guy needed the money before Christmas. I was not really looking to buy that guitar but I was like “fuck it we’ll see how motivated he is.” “Very” was the answer.

This guys been holding onto this one for a while. Either he’s really proud of it, or he hasn’t had any bites and he may be willing to entertain lowballs to get rid of it. The worst he can do is tell you “no thanks.”

My 2 cents, worth exactly what you paid for it.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1