The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

8 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Beauty.  Never seen a two tone.  I was curious from the previous pictures because of the binding.  LOVE that MOTS pickguard.  What's the story on that white Epi?  

My son and I bought that together this summer. He mowed yards and saved up but didn’t have enough, so he conned me into “sharing” the Epiphone. It’s pretty cool because we both play it all the time and that’s a cool bond. It’s an Epi Les Paul Custom Pro. Great guitar. It plays a little better than my Gibson (Gibson probably needs a tuneup).

-sidenote - son dropped and broke the neck off of the epiphone one week after we bought it. Musician’s Friend stoner sales rep dude on the phone sent us a new one, no questions asked, and gave us a partial refund for our trouble!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

I love my Taylor and can’t imagine playing another very much, but I would love to own a black one like this. But I think the only acoustic on my bucket list has to be a 12 string.

I've got a Taylor D-300 super dreadnought, that almost cost me my marriage. I went into the GC at Hancock in about 1995, they had three of them, along with some high dollar Guilds. I played every 12 string they had, and the particular $1200 D-300 I ended up getting, sounded as good as the $3600 Guilds. It was tough to explain to a young wife, that when you find a guitar that sounds head and shoulders better than its contemporaries, you have to buy it before someone else does. So, for about a year, it was Budget Gourmets for lunch at work, instead of going out. It was totally worth it. As for Budget Gourmets, those were the fuckers that were apparently on a budget.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

Tele is badass.

I'm talking myself into at some point buying a Warmoth body and frankensteining my old Mike Dirnt P. Keep the neck, the pickup, think about keeping the bridge, get a nice P body, get someone who knows what they're doing to put it together. Tele headstock might look a little funny on a regular p body, but it might be cool. The neck is what made me buy that thing in the first place, but I always liked the sound. However the paint has chipped off the body pretty severely, it's falling apart, and I feel like it'd be fun to breathe new life into it. I need to get myself into a situation where I pick up the bass again and do it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Anyone ever use this guys cables?

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/2020/11/famous-musicians-seek-out-electric-guitar-cables-made-in-this-small-se-portland-workshop.html

I feel like I’m on a new quest for the right cable. Shorted cables make me want to stab baby Jesus’ puppy.

I ponied up for some Monsters a decade or so ago. They were expensive but worth it. They just now have started to go bad. And they don’t make cables any more. Tried some shitty brands and turns out shitty cables are still shitty. Bought a couple of Mogamis and they are too stiff and heavy, and stupid expensive.

30 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Anyone ever use this guys cables?

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/2020/11/famous-musicians-seek-out-electric-guitar-cables-made-in-this-small-se-portland-workshop.html

I feel like I’m on a new quest for the right cable. Shorted cables make me want to stab baby Jesus’ puppy.

I ponied up for some Monsters a decade or so ago. They were expensive but worth it. They just now have started to go bad. And they don’t make cables any more. Tried some shitty brands and turns out shitty cables are still shitty. Bought a couple of Mogamis and they are too stiff and heavy, and stupid expensive.

I have a cable that came with a guitar I bought used in 1988.

It's still going strong.  I have no idea why.  I've blasted through dozens of other cables in the meantime, just because I bring extras to gigs, and of course running even a modest studio means I need extra cables.  This one?  Bulletproof.

I have some "heart of texas" cables still around (as in Ray Hennig's). He said they were the best ones they had, which I assumed was bullshit but what was I going to say to the man?

There was a time when I moved from bass to guitar in my old band, but still switched around a bit on stage. Which sometimes meant the other guy putting up my shit. Every time I opened the tweed case and the shit was all just stuffed in there I made him come over and watch me (quickly and easily) wrap each cable (with a little half turn on each loop, letting the cable decide how to turn) and place it in its specific spot. That's how you keep cables.

and goddammit don't yank it out by the cable. And slide it through your strap but give it a little slack.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

And I usually get the one straight end and on L-shaped end so I have either option to plug into whatever guitar you wanna play. Of course, if you're Eric Johnson eared you want to use the cable running in the right direction in order to get the correct polarity.

35 minutes ago, Deej said:

Compelling and Joe Bonamassa should never be used in the same sentence. 

He does some interviews on youtube that actually aren't bad. Some nice guests. But otherwise, yeah...except for Black Country Communion first couple of albums.

Anyone have any experience with Guitar Mill? Quick google indicates that Gear Page guys have a high opinion. They do nitro finishes and color matching. I'm talking myself into it.

https://guitarmill.com/guitarmill/closet-clean-guitar-aging-gallery/

Keep the neck, pickup, bridge. Tahitian coral P. Always loved this bass, feel like it's appropriate for it to be reborn as something a little different.

• Like 1

Anyone have any experience with Guitar Mill? Quick google indicates that Gear Page guys have a high opinion. They do nitro finishes and color matching. I'm talking myself into it.
https://guitarmill.com/guitarmill/closet-clean-guitar-aging-gallery/
Keep the neck, pickup, bridge. Tahitian coral P. Always loved this bass, feel like it's appropriate for it to be reborn as something a little different.

I bought a neck from them. It was custom, so it took a while. In the end it was totally worth the wait. They even used some upgraded maple when I’d just asked for the plane Jane. I have no qualms about recommending them.

Yeah I’m looking for a new back plate for this neck that I took off to mount the Guitar Mill neck posted up thread.

It’s a genuine 1966 Fender JM neck. I always thought I’d sell it but for some reason I’ve not done so. Probably because I know I could never get another at the price I got this one. Thoughts from the crowd on what I should do with it?

d505e2bffd823640a45e7655b36d9f0b.jpg

e0dbe3c4d1764ac83a0b474c74fc62e2.jpg

• Like 1