The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

3 hours ago, topochico said:

Rumored for years, looks like GC is finally filing for Chapter 11. I know they get a bad rap, but I enjoy popping in from time to time.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-11-13/guitar-center-is-said-to-prep-bankruptcy-with-creditor-support

Re: The Filing

@ 11:10 to 11:50 he says wait a bit and there might be some open box sales coming soon when they close some stores. (Floor models & the like)

@ 11:50 he says "Don't buy gift cards"

Edited by Napoleon

Rumored for years, looks like GC is finally filing for Chapter 11. I know they get a bad rap, but I enjoy popping in from time to time.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-11-13/guitar-center-is-said-to-prep-bankruptcy-with-creditor-support

I think I’ve found part of the problem:

[“For the restructuring plan, UBS will be the lead placement agent for the $335 million fundraising through new notes, while Milbank LLP will serve as legal counsel and BRG as restructuring adviser. Houlihan Lokey is its financial adviser.

Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP is the legal counsel to a group of noteholders and Province is their financial adviser, and Kirkland & Ellis LLP is representing Ares on legal matters. Debevoise & Plimpton LLP is the legal counsel to Brigade Capital Management and GLC Advisors & Co. is its financial adviser. Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP represented Carlyle.”]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Re: The Filing

@ 11:10 to 11:50 he says wait a bit and there might be some open box sales coming soon when they close some stores. (Floor models & the like)

@ 11:50 he says "Don't buy gift cards"

Buying Guitar Center floor models is the equivalent of buying a used rental car with 100k miles on it.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

31f81afdee58578f37319f01629bb4f5.jpg
Wow I need this... $1599 before talking to my rep. It’s American made out of stock. But I’d order one. I would be waiting on my rickenbacker due in Feb 2021 and then this. It would be an epic New Guitar day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john cena wrestling GIF by WWE

• Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 10:15 AM, Deej said:

Buying Guitar Center floor models is the equivalent of buying a used rental car with 100k miles on it.

Yeah, but sometimes you get discounts and get lucky.  I got my '64 AV telecaster from GC (online) with some pretty noticeable nicks int the finish, which weren't mentioned, but which I don't mind a bit.  And it came at a substantial discount.  But it also played like a dream out of the box.

ds-BBDx-SUEy-jdu18-AFbpzkh-HD0-EK7auz-Ky

196024.gif

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

Looks like they knocked another $20 off the Lake Placid blue MIM Tele or Strat at Adorama through slickdeals.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14552969-fender-limited-edition-electric-guitars-stratocaster-or-telecaster-519-each-free-s-h?page=3#commentsBox

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, DougO said:

Looks like they knocked another $20 off the Lake Placid blue MIM Tele or Strat at Adorama through slickdeals.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14552969-fender-limited-edition-electric-guitars-stratocaster-or-telecaster-519-each-free-s-h?page=3#commentsBox

Wow! That’s kind of insane. 

That will be about $561 after taxes.

21 hours ago, dcbc said:

Yeah, but sometimes you get discounts and get lucky.  I got my '64 AV telecaster from GC (online) with some pretty noticeable nicks int the finish, which weren't mentioned, but which I don't mind a bit.  And it came at a substantial discount.  But it also played like a dream out of the box.

196024.gif

Tom Petty rep. Miss that guy

21 hours ago, dcbc said:

196024.gif

The higher end stuff is usually high enough up on the wall to avoid the regular abuse.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Deej said:

The higher end stuff is usually high enough up on the wall to avoid the regular abuse.

This one had a few good gouges on it.  Just a few flesh wounds.  The 64 AV had been out of production for a year or so and had gotten hard to find at that point. 

Guitar Center can vanish as far as I am concerned. Every time I go in there they have the same crap they had the time before, and not a lot of good deals on even that. They put a lot of independent and small chain music stores out of business, too, put some good fiends out of work after decades at the local guitar store.

I would hope Musiciansfriend could spin off again on their own, but if they die too I wouldn't miss them that much. There are alternatives.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, DougO said:

Guitar Center can vanish as far as I am concerned. Every time I go in there they have the same crap they had the time before, and not a lot of good deals on even that. They put a lot of independent and small chain music stores out of business, too, put some good fiends out of work after decades at the local guitar store.

I would hope Musiciansfriend could spin off again on their own, but if they die too I wouldn't miss them that much. There are alternatives.

I'd be okay with it.  This is the first guitar I have bought from them in decades and it was a pain.  But they had it, and I wanted it.  So that's how that went.

37 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I remember the first time I ever walked into a Guitar Center. San Diego, CA, 1992. Wow. I'd never seen anything like it. Guitars everywhere. Mostly used and vintage if I recall correctly. A far cry from the clearinghouse it has become for sure.

And 28 years later, you're still waiting on a sales associate to help you. 

I bought my Gibson Les Paul Studio at the one in Dallas in 1995. I got a summer job in high school to pay for it. It was like $600. And the assholes at my local shop in west Texas were charging $800 (Tarpley’s was its name I think, near the builder square. Now they’re both out of business). It was worth the 5 hour drive. Hard to explain, but the local store was manned by all high school drop out metal guys with drug problems whose bands never made it, and they absolutely hated every customer. So I’m sure the owners were nice, but their employees were such insufferable pricks.

So yeah I loved guitar center back in the day. Salesman was really nice and really helpful. Still love playing my 1995 Les Paul, too.

unfortunately they expanded too fast in the late 90’s and Now it’s a filthy hell hole.

Edited by NoRagrets

Last time I stepped foot in a GC was about 8 years ago.   And I drive by 2 of them on my way to work every day.  Anyway, that day I went in to test drive an SG.  Dude pulled it off the wall, plugged it in to an Orange head/Orange 4x cab and proceeded to RAWK! while he talked about his glory days.  Even pulled out his phone to show me pictures from around 1978 with him on stage in front of a huge Orange stack.  Then, he unplugged the guitar, put it back on the wall and walked away.  I never even touched the guitar.  

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Last time I stepped foot in a GC was about 8 years ago.   And I drive by 2 of them on my way to work every day.  Anyway, that day I went in to test drive an SG.  Dude pulled it off the wall, plugged it in to an Orange head/Orange 4x cab and proceeded to RAWK! while he talked about his glory days.  Even pulled out his phone to show me pictures from around 1978 with him on stage in front of a huge Orange stack.  Then, he unplugged the guitar, put it back on the wall and walked away.  I never even touched the guitar.  

I’ve been in 3 in the Dallas area and 2 in SoCal since the lockdown. 

The knowledge of their sales staff varies by location. 

44 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

That experience was totally worth it for the story alone. Much better than having a vague recollection of noodling around for 20 minutes, deciding the SG wasn't your thing and putting it back up on the wall. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Bankruptcy probably doesn’t mean going out of business.

No, but they will eventually, because they have a garbage business model. They have been under water for over a decade. It's gonna be hard to keep merch in stock when you vendors don't get paid. They probably aren't going to last much longer.

Edited by DougO

7 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

After careful consideration of my financial situation, savings for a remodel, etc., I decided to hold off on a new guitar despite all of your advice to the contrary. I think it was the wise choice.

But then my birthday came around. My wife wanted to know why I was moping around the house, as if all the joy I had in my heart was gone. She said, “just get it. It can be your Christmas, Father’s Day, and anniversary present too.”

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Ooof! That's gonna end up being one expensive guitar. Let us know what she ends up buying.

Congrats, though. 

User name checks out. 

After careful consideration of my financial situation, savings for a remodel, etc., I decided to hold off on a new guitar despite all of your advice to the contrary. I think it was the wise choice.
But then my birthday came around. My wife wanted to know why I was moping around the house, as if all the joy I had in my heart was gone. She said, “just get it. It can be your Christmas, Father’s Day, and anniversary present too.”
Behold:
https://www.proaudiostar.com/fender-fsr-2-tone-telecaster-thinline-w-ebony-fingerboard-surf-green-used.html?utm_source=Google_Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhs79BRD0ARIsAC6XpaUMJveM5FGgCnS5_8dY07fmsDjYzGg62k2Ix3XK-o6jj-CoHCwNIJEaAuFVEALw_wcB
My first telecaster. A limited run thinline. With custom shop ‘51 nocaster pickups. Hitting refresh in the fedex tracking site every 1 hour to track my new baby!

Fuck yeah. This is how it’s done.

10 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Behold:

https://www.proaudiostar.com/fender-fsr-2-tone-telecaster-thinline-w-ebony-fingerboard-surf-green-used.html?utm_source=Google_Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhs79BRD0ARIsAC6XpaUMJveM5FGgCnS5_8dY07fmsDjYzGg62k2Ix3XK-o6jj-CoHCwNIJEaAuFVEALw_wcB

My first telecaster. A limited run thinline. With custom shop ‘51 nocaster pickups. Hitting refresh in the fedex tracking site every 1 hour to track my new baby!

That is a beauty!  Let us know when our new guitar is delivered.  I LOVE it when we get a new guitar.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Behold:

#slumpbuster

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

...but then my birthday came around. My wife wanted to know why I was moping around the house, as if all the joy I had in my heart was gone. She said, “just get it. It can be your Christmas, Father’s Day, and anniversary present too.”

Behold:

7 hours ago, Deej said:

Ooof! That's gonna end up being one expensive guitar. Let us know what she ends up buying.

Congrats, though. 

Is there going to be a time in the future when we get a rough estimate of the used price?

(Asking for my personal knowledge.)

F0BCF3F8-06C9-491F-8587-4EC27F5FC69E.jpeg

No, but they will eventually, because they have a garbage business model. They have been under water for over a decade. It's gonna be hard to keep merch in stock when you vendors don't get paid. They probably aren't going to last much longer.

All I’m saying is if they pay less for debt service they have more to pay vendors.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Is there going to be a time in the future when we get a rough estimate of the used price?

(Asking for my personal knowledge.)

F0BCF3F8-06C9-491F-8587-4EC27F5FC69E.jpeg

Okay, on reverb the used one was $1199 but you can make an offer. I offered $980 and they accepted. They then asked me if I wanted a new version instead for $120 more, or $1100 total. I said hell yes.

• Hook 'Em 1

I ordered everything to build another Telecaster last night. Teaser below. Warmoth is great. I realized this morning that I'd clicked the wrong fret size on the fat '59 profile, Vintage/Modern neck I ordered. Luckily I realized my error this morning. Called, a real human answered the phone, and they made the change before the frets had been installed. Narrow/Tall FWIW. ToneRider Hot Classic Pickups. 

Telecaster.thumb.jpg.dc5a5313ad6c7b788d67da79bb6791f4.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I ordered everything to build another Telecaster last night. Teaser below. Warmoth is great. I realized this morning that I'd clicked the wrong fret size on the fat '59 profile, Vintage/Modern neck I ordered. Luckily I realized my error this morning. Called, a real human answered the phone, and they made the change before the frets had been installed. Narrow/Tall FWIW. ToneRider Hot Classic Pickups. 

Telecaster.thumb.jpg.dc5a5313ad6c7b788d67da79bb6791f4.jpg

Nice!

Those Toneriders are great. The pups in the China made Class8c Vibe Teles were unbranded Toneriders. The bridge pup was fantastic on my 50's butterscotch.

On 11/15/2020 at 11:48 PM, DougO said:

Just got a direct email from Adorama about the Tele being $519.

It keeps getting more and more tempting.

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 9.48.41 PM.png

• Like 2