The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

They're gorgeous and I eyeballed them or other builders' repros for a long while.  But what I learned is that they're really bright sounding, just short of brittle with some instances.  I feel like the wood doesn't have a huge impact in most solid body electrics.  But that doesn't appear to be the case with rosewood teles.  I'm sure it could be tamed with an eq or amp eq, but it cooled me on wanting one, if only a bit.  I don't hear it in that video as much as in some.  But it does have a different sound for a tele.

It's got the same pickups as on my AV 64, which is pretty bright in its own right, definitely the brightest sounding of my telecasters.  In any event, for the price, I've got to pass.  But it's the prettiest thing there is, no doubt.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

They're gorgeous and I eyeballed them or other builders' repros for a long while.  But what I learned is that they're really bright sounding, just short of brittle with some instances.  I feel like the wood doesn't have a huge impact in most solid body electrics.  But that doesn't appear to be the case with rosewood teles.  I'm sure it could be tamed with an eq or amp eq, but it cooled me on wanting one, if only a bit.  I don't hear it in that video as much as in some.  But it does have a different sound for a tele.

It's got the same pickups as on my AV 64, which is pretty bright in its own right, definitely the brightest sounding of my telecasters.  In any event, for the price, I've got to pass.  But it's the prettiest thing there is, no doubt.

Good review.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Do you guys have your amps sitting on the floor, or do you have a stand or piece of furniture or something? I had a cheap stand that I used when I was gigging with a Blues Jr, and then when I got the Matchless I got a flight case (and so would stick it on top of the top part of that), but I'm trying to finish/furnish the fun half of my office and can't find the right thing. I was looking for some kind of media console or storage piece with a hutch that I could put it on top of (and have some shelves or drawers for gear underneath as well as some extra book and other hobby storage, but I may not be able to find the right thing and just look for a nice looking amp stand. Or am I insane for wanting to get my amp off the ground? I always felt like it made a difference.

Anyone else notice the tax changes to selling on Reverb, Ebay or other online marketplaces?  I didn't until I got prompted to give them my social security number today.

As of January 1, 2022, marketplaces like Reverb are required to report a seller’s sales if they sell $600 or more on the platform in a calendar year. This new reporting requirement means that if you hit the $600 sales threshold, Reverb is required to collect tax identification information and issue you a Form 1099-K. 

I'll talk to my accountant, but I'm guessing he's going to want me to provide documentation on purchase prices to figure out what I don't owe.  I mean, I sold about $10K worth of gear on Reverb last year and it went to buy about $10K worth of gear on Reverb.  Its irksome that this becomes something else I need to manage and preserve documentation for like I'm a business when I am not a music business.  I'm just a player that likes to buy and sell gear at around a zero sum.

Now if this means I can write off guitar purchases against my full income like a business, then get ready to see it rain guitars in this motherfucker.  Link to full details...

https://help.reverb.com/hc/en-us/articles/4411577966227

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

Do you guys have your amps sitting on the floor, or do you have a stand or piece of furniture or something? I had a cheap stand that I used when I was gigging with a Blues Jr, and then when I got the Matchless I got a flight case (and so would stick it on top of the top part of that), but I'm trying to finish/furnish the fun half of my office and can't find the right thing. I was looking for some kind of media console or storage piece with a hutch that I could put it on top of (and have some shelves or drawers for gear underneath as well as some extra book and other hobby storage, but I may not be able to find the right thing and just look for a nice looking amp stand. Or am I insane for wanting to get my amp off the ground? I always felt like it made a difference.

I have combos on stands, or sitting on top of cabs or amps that don't get a lot of play. If its a head and cab, the cab sits on the ground. It makes a difference having them off the ground. 

For storage, all my stuff is on the floor (in the bedroom since that's where storing it results in my playing it).  When I play out, I have an old carpet covered rack case that I will set my amps on to get them up where I can hear them better.  All amps have covers.  All guitars other than the partscaster strat are stored in their cases.  I have two pedal train boards (nano/nano+) that have pedals on them and are in their cases.  All other pedals are spread out through three or four medium sized plastic bins.  It's not a pretty situation, but I have to keep the dog hair at bay.  Er, uh, I mean, pet free/smoke free home. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Deej said:

Almost all my gear is in a room the dogs aren't allowed in. They occasionally try to get in there if they can, as it has some sort of forbidden allure to them.

Open up an amp chassis and take a quick look for dog hair.  It's a quick way to tell if you're having any success with this method.  That, or open up a wah pedal.

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Open up an amp chassis and take a quick look for dog hair.  It's a quick way to tell if you're having any success with this method.  That, or open up a wah pedal.

Everything is clean. I regularly roll tubes through my amps so I'd notice it. Just standard dust from time to time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm back in Texas for an unknown period of time.  My brother wanted his 65 DR back so I brought it with me.  I hated to give it back after AUTF rebuilt it but I always knew it was just on loan.  On the plus side, I can probably slide in a new amp into that empty spot.  I kind of rearranged things a little bit so the empty space didn't stand out.  I'm smart like that.  

I have a Blues Jr, a Marshal Class 5 and a little Vox amp.  I'm kind of leaning towards one of these Supro 5W 10" Delta King.  
Or maybe a Vox AC 10.  

L81987000002000-00-500x500.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

I'm back in Texas for an unknown period of time.  My brother wanted his 65 DR back so I brought it with me.  I hated to give it back after AUTF rebuilt it but I always knew it was just on loan.  On the plus side, I can probably slide in a new amp into that empty spot.  I kind of rearranged things a little bit so the empty space didn't stand out.  I'm smart like that.  

I have a Blues Jr, a Marshal Class 5 and a little Vox amp.  I'm kind of leaning towards one of these Supro 5W 10" Delta King.  
Or maybe a Vox AC 10.  

L81987000002000-00-500x500.jpg

I've got the Blues King in the 15 watt version with the 12" speaker. I think the only difference between the Delta King series and Blues King was the tolex and the Blues Kings had an effects loop. I really like mine a lot. It's the perfect little home amp. Master volume, boost and gain switches that you can turn on and off with a foot pedal, and actual spring reverb. 

The 12" versions of both use a 6L6. The 10" ones use a 6V6. 

Mine also has a line out, which is nice. Not a bad little amp for what I paid. I got a demo unit from Sweetwater for $400 and something. 

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

It’s my office, but she is insane about it still. Somewhat defensible because it has french doors and isn’t a tucked away man cave, and I  do appreciate her making the half of the room that is furnished look nice. But her process is still a struggle.

How much do blinds/curtains for the French doors cost? Maybe everyone is happier this way?
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, topochico said:

Put the amps on milk crates or cinder bock and 1x8 pine board “shelving units”. Add some 80’s T&A posters like Heather Thomas around the room. When she weighs her options, some metal amp stands will seem to be a reasonable compromise. 

I’d need to get a charvel probably

• Like 1