The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

I’m close to the point where anything more than guitar and amp is overload. I have a clean boost from Vintage47 that I put in front of my amps, and any effects are whatever is onboard a particular amp. 

When I plug in at home at all, I'm straight into an amp 99% of the time.  Tweed Fender clones changed me for sure.  I only have one post tweed Fender left (but it's the best amp I own).

I have a closet in my little "studio" room, and it is magic.  I've crammed everything from a Marshall 50W half stack to a tiny Fender amp in that thing, with nothing but a Shure SM57 jammed up its face, and I get great tones even with my "studio" monitors blaring from 10 feet away.  Great separation, too.  Sometimes, you don't need a shit ton of pedals or plugins or whatever.  Sometimes life deals you a flush.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have a closet in my little "studio" room, and it is magic.  I've crammed everything from a Marshall 50W half stack to a tiny Fender amp in that thing, with nothing but a Shure SM57 jammed up its face, and I get great tones even with my "studio" monitors blaring from 10 feet away.  Great separation, too.  Sometimes, you don't need a shit ton of pedals or plugins or whatever.  Sometimes life deals you a flush.

Reminds me of a story in Willies bio where apparently they recorded the harmonica on Stardust in a tile shower because they liked the reverb.

I know I'm a shitty player because all of this confuses the shit out of me. I have a fender mustang amp that has a couple of preset tones and that is good enough for me. 95% of the time I'm strumming an acoustic. Maybe one day I'll go down the electric rabbit hole, but I have avoided it thus far. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/24/2022 at 4:46 PM, dcbc said:

This is my reason for ditching the large pedal board for two smaller ones (nano/nano+), the larger of which I never have used in a group setting, as well as my "4 knobs max per pedal" rule, which only has two exceptions---the PiPhase (Biphase clone) and the Biegle FX Trutron 3x (revised Mutron III), and no more pedals with internal dip switches for custom tweaking. 

I ditched my massive pedal board and now use a Boss ME-80 which STILL has too many options - 7 pedals (the top right one controls manual or preset), too many knobs, and an expression pedal. 

image.png.37eef5fd8885f962f3b61a28a11e4187.png

I'm old and afraid of technology, so I'm still in manual mode. One of these days I'll learn to use the patches. 

The pros are it's compact, well made and I can program it if I ever want to. The con is it doesn't have a good tube screamer and the tremolo is square and not sinusoidal.

At this point in my non-existent musical career, being light and convenient is more important. But I may end up adding a micro tube-screamer in front of it just because.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/25/2022 at 7:41 PM, Superhero said:

I ditched my massive pedal board and now use a Boss ME-80 which STILL has too many options - 7 pedals (the top right one controls manual or preset), too many knobs, and an expression pedal. 

image.png.37eef5fd8885f962f3b61a28a11e4187.png

I'm old and afraid of technology, so I'm still in manual mode. One of these days I'll learn to use the patches. 

The pros are it's compact, well made and I can program it if I ever want to. The con is it doesn't have a good tube screamer and the tremolo is square and not sinusoidal.

At this point in my non-existent musical career, being light and convenient is more important. But I may end up adding a micro tube-screamer in front of it just because.

I know talented people could manage that, but that thing has WAY too many knobs for me.

Bogey with a new guitar?
Shocked.
(Needs a maple neck)

1951010614_Screenshot_20220212-140804_AmazonPhotos.thumb.jpg.b08b09901157d967b1e3cf19afd214f4.jpg

Typo aside, I gotta respectfully side with Goredho on the neck with gold combo here aesthetically. That motherfucker is perfect. (But, of course, so is yours, Deej!)

I goddamn love living vicariously through you guitar buying maniacs (both as a drummer guy and as someone who admires gear acquisition).
  • Hook 'Em 2

Bogey with a new guitar?
Shocked.
(Needs a maple neck)

1951010614_Screenshot_20220212-140804_AmazonPhotos.thumb.jpg.b08b09901157d967b1e3cf19afd214f4.jpg

Typo aside, I gotta respectfully side with Goredho on the neck with gold combo here aesthetically. That motherfucker is perfect. (But, of course, so is yours, Deej!)

I goddamn love living vicariously through you guitar buying maniacs (both as a drummer guy and as someone who admires gear acquisition).

@Goredho

I'm really enjoying the spark. Pedal and tube amp purists will probably not like it but I'm neither of those and this checks off so many boxes. Searching the Tonecloud is by far my favorite part. You have so many tones at your fingertips. I can go from Cantrell to Metallica to Gilmour (btw, that tone is genius imo.)

Only complaint and it's probably just a setting thing is that it automatically connects to Bluetooth when you turn it on.  I rather connect when I'm ready. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

@Goredho

I'm really enjoying the spark. Pedal and tube amp purists will probably not like it but I'm neither of those and this checks off so many boxes. Searching the Tonecloud is by far my favorite part. You have so many tones at your fingertips. I can go from Cantrell to Metallica to Gilmour (btw, that tone is genius imo.)

Only complaint and it's probably just a setting thing is that it automatically connects to Bluetooth when you turn it on.  I rather connect when I'm ready. 

Cool, glad you are liking it.  It’s definitely not going to compete with a good tube amp purely on tone, but I’ve got two really nice tube amps and the Spark has earned its place alongside them for all of the things it does really well that they don’’t even attempt.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Think I’ve shown this before but this is what a buddy brought over to jam on one night a few months ago

2ddc5d828a2863b76cec7f972971d189.jpg

He got some great sounds out of it but damn.

he's got a flint and el capistan on his left pedalboard. those both break the knob limit and have hidden secondary functions for each knob

great pedals. I've got a tuner, shaggy screamer, OCD, and then the capistan into the flint.

back to simplicity - this week's chord is the two finger G. 3x003x . It can do anything!

8 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Think I’ve shown this before but this is what a buddy brought over to jam on one night a few months ago

2ddc5d828a2863b76cec7f972971d189.jpg

He got some great sounds out of it but damn.

A lot going on there. I could see myself stumbling across a sound I like, and three days later I wouldn’t remember how the hell I did it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

For those who've asked.

I've gotten some 12" media mailers and figured out shipping for our album. They are $20.00ea plus $4.75 to ship, so $24.75 all in. The album will officially release (hit all the streaming services) May 13. I will ship physical "pre-order" copies as soon as I'm able.

You can either order through the BandCamp link below, or PM me directly and we can work it out via Venmo/PayPal.

https://varymary.bandcamp.com/releases

I'll PM those who've who've asked directly in case this post is overlooked.

Also, pm me if there are any issues w the bandcamp site. Our drummer did that part and it went live last night. I had issues trying to navigate it this morning and think I've fixed them. Fucking drummers.20220223_181806.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I dont know yet if BandCamp takes a cut. BMF was the 1st to place an order through there this morning and it doesn't appear so, but PayPal took $1.50, im going to adjust the shipping cost to capture that - we are making no money on these, but I dont want to lose money on them! Because of of that order I learned that bandcamp does give me some cool tools for making shipping labels and tracking orders, so probably that way is best.

16 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I dont know yet if BandCamp takes a cut. BMF was the 1st to place an order through there this morning and it doesn't appear so, but PayPal took $1.50, im going to adjust the shipping cost to capture that - we are making no money on these, but I dont want to lose money on them! Because of of that order I learned that bandcamp does give me some cool tools for making shipping labels and tracking orders, so probably that way is best.

If Venmo took any cut from you on my purchase, let me know and I'll make it up. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 8:30 PM, BoomMF said:

Bucket list item checked!

The detail on the steel strat is impressive - it's strung for a lefty and the backplate is removed. Needs to be on fire though, like an eternal flame situation. Missed opportunity imo.

Whatever, this place is holy and I'm glad to have finally made the pilgrimage.
ed8eab301217b94589a6a11a6c940b3f.jpg

Do they still have the book you can sign? One could spend hours going through the names, places and messages left in that registry. 

Edited by Scooter Monzingo