The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

On your behalf I messaged Terry Manning, one of the engineers on Fandango.  I don't know him in real life but we communicate from time to time.  I'm pretty sure he only worked on the studio cuts off that album, because the Record Plant truck gets credited, and I don't think he ever worked for The Record Plant.  At any rate, for what it's worth, this is what he said:

"AFAIK, it was his Rio Grande amps, which were basically modded Marshalls."

Probably nothing more than what you've already heard.  He also threw in this photo:

May be an image of 3 people, people playing musical instruments, people standing and guitar

That really is bad ass

As far as I know, BFG has one '59 flame top and he's used it on all their records, Pearly Gates. I think those are the re-issues in the photo.

While we're on the Reverend, anybody else find it surprizing how fast they've moved on without Dusty? Their guitar tech had already spent a year growing his beard out when Dusty passed. I'm semi-interested in seeing the new lineup if they pass through near me, but the other part of me is not interested at all. Dusty Hill was a top notch entertainer, a big part of their show.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/billy-gibbons-tell-the-story-behind-his-1959-les-paul-pearly-gates

• Like 1

I agree, its like when Bon Scott died. I was just surprized that they already had the guitar tech ready with the beard, evidently he was clean shaven until about a year prior and Dusty passed suddenly.

The last couple times I saw them, Billy says at some point, "5 decades, same 3 guys", inwas looking forward to hearing him up that ton6 decades since we've moved into the '20s.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

As far as I know, BFG has one '59 flame top and he's used it on all their records, Pearly Gates. I think those are the re-issues in the photo.

While we're on the Reverend, anybody else find it surprizing how fast they've moved on without Dusty? Their guitar tech had already spent a year growing his beard out when Dusty passed. I'm semi-interested in seeing the new lineup if they pass through near me, but the other part of me is not interested at all. Dusty Hill was a top notch entertainer, a big part of their show.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/billy-gibbons-tell-the-story-behind-his-1959-les-paul-pearly-gates

He has more than a handful of 57-60 Burst’s. I’m to lazy to go back, but I posted a picture way back in this thread of him posing with them, along with their serial numbers. 

For the record I never believed his story on the acquisition of Pearly. I do think he enjoys telling it however. 

For the record I never believed his story on the acquisition of Pearly. I do think he enjoys telling it however. 

I'm inclined to agree. I doubt the beard origion story as well. All of people don't realize that BGG was a visual arts student from long before he formed that band. Their image is extremely crafted.

51 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I heard Roseanne Cash talk about her dad after she won a Grammy. She said he was happy for her, but deep down inside she could see the pain of his realization that he had aged. And he was no longer the man in black.

She said that after spending his entire life building Johnny Cash, letting go of it was impossible.

there is probably a little of that in Billy.

2 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I'm inclined to agree. I doubt the beard origion story as well. All of people don't realize that BGG was a visual arts student from long before he formed that band. Their image is extremely crafted.

I agree. 

I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple years ago. He spent about 30 min telling us about the time Roger Waters invited him out to England to try to convince him to join Pink Floyd.

Not sure I believe that one either. But the dude can tell stories for sure.
  • Like 1

One of my first "good" guitars, probably my first USA guitar, was a Les Paul Studio that was dirty and beat to hell when I found it in a pawn shop. I was black and had a Brunswick bowling ball rode hard and put away wet look. I think I gave $160 for it, I polished the finish, cleaned up pretty decent, much better than I expected. I had to replace a couple of bridge saddles on it and I think a set of knobs. The saddles were a gold ones I got out of the odds and ends parts bucket at HOT Music in Temple. Ended up selling it years later for $400 or $450 after I got a nicer Les Paul. It's one of the few I have sold, and I kind of regret. It had it's own "patina" going for it, and the gold tooth display which I dug. The guy who bought on consignment it was a douchebag, otherwise I wouldn't have minded somebody cool owning it.

11 minutes ago, DougO said:

One of my first "good" guitars, probably my first USA guitar, was a Les Paul Studio that was dirty and beat to hell when I found it in a pawn shop. I was black and had a Brunswick bowling ball rode hard and put away wet look. I think I gave $160 for it, I polished the finish, cleaned up pretty decent, much better than I expected. I had to replace a couple of bridge saddles on it and I think a set of knobs. The saddles were a gold ones I got out of the odds and ends parts bucket at HOT Music in Temple. Ended up selling it years later for $400 or $450 after I got a nicer Les Paul. It's one of the few I have sold, and I kind of regret. It had it's own "patina" going for it, and the gold tooth display which I dug. The guy who bought on consignment it was a douchebag, otherwise I wouldn't have minded somebody cool owning it.

I forgot to add, that guitar also had EMG's on it, which is what made me harken back.

17 minutes ago, DougO said:

I hate thinking about the one that got away.

He has more than a handful of 57-60 Burst’s. I’m to lazy to go back, but I posted a picture way back in this thread of him posing with them, along with their serial numbers. 

It’s clear he likes to tell stories. And he’s a good story teller. If the truth coincides with a good story, that’s great. But most of all, the story has to be good.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Anyone ever buy or purchase something off reverb from a over seas seller?

My brother bought as ES-335 off Reverb from someone in Italy.  It took a long ass time to arrive and the box looked like someone tried to kick a 60 yard field goal with if.  I don’t know how based on the pics of the box, but the Guitar turned out to be just fine.

Edited by Goredho

How long have you not been black? Do you look less ragged now?
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Anyone ever tried super glue on a paper cut? Trying to deal with one on my pick thumb and have a 3 hour show tonight and tomorrow night. emoji2955.png

Assuming the cut is clean, superficial and no signs of infection-it should be fine. Otherwise, liquid bandage may be a better option since is wears off faster.

• Like 1

I kinda regret selling my OM acoustic. I have started looking around again. I know there are some Martin 000 peeps here, thoughts? I tried out a Gibson L-00 and was kinda meh about it. I am down to the 000-18 and the Yamaha LS-36 ARE. The only issue with the Yamaha is it will be an order only guitar and I can't try any out. However, it's a lot of guitar for the less than the Martin. Anyone have any experience with the LL/LS line built in Japan? I am open to other options as well. 

BE690B6A-1C42-4524-B34B-AC61C659A5EC_1_201_a.jpeg

CF41BD0B-F6EF-4739-8973-CE18B66C483A_1_201_a.jpeg

I have a OOO-15M that I love, I believe AUTF has the OOO-28. I would expect that the 28 (rosewood) would be brighter than the 18 (hog). I'd want to play both of them though (might as well sneak a 15M in there) if I was looking at that size of Martin. I would have a hard time with the Yamaha because of what tbone says - for acoustics especially I want to play the one that I'm buying.