2 RB
4 WR
1 ATH
5 OL
1 TE
4 DL
1 LB
5 DB

24 total. If we have to rob a spot, it's probably a DB or DL, an OL if we miss on Evans and no longer have to take George, or maybe go without TE

Dixon is a WR here, but he can potentially play slot, outside Z WR, RB, or pretty much any DB spot, so he could be listed as an athlete, along with Jackson 

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

How do these 2020 numbers sound?

1 QB
2 RB
4 WR
1 ATH
5 OL
1 TE
4 DL
1 LB
5 DB

24 total. If we have to rob a spot, it's probably a DB or DL, an OL if we miss on Evans and no longer have to take George, or maybe go without TE

Dixon is a WR here, but he can potentially play slot, outside Z WR, RB, or pretty much any DB spot, so he could be listed as an athlete, along with Jackson 

Looks good.  WR may be 3 IMO.  I can also see just 1 LB having took 4 this past class ( maybe 5 depending on Henry ).  But if we get a Chris Thompson or Eric Snow either 1 could end up being a hybrid Safety/LB type.  Did Josh White ever visit last weekend?

If we get the 4 DL we think we are getting ( Umanmielen, Dorbah, Collins, Broughton ) I could see another like that guy from Arizona maybe??  Wouldn't mind a DT type take for NG position, but the options look pretty bleak.

I have no idea on TE.  Only 3 offers out right now and 2 are committed elsewhere with the other in California.  Nothing in-state really.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

How do these 2020 numbers sound?

1 QB
2 RB
4 WR
1 ATH
5 OL
1 TE
4 DL
1 LB
5 DB

I'm fine with 4 WR if Ingram counts at WR, otherwise, I"d say 3 WR and add another ATH or drop to 23 spots.  I'd also like to see 3 guys who are projected to play Corner, including nickel. We're unbelievably deep at S,  but we're still a little thin for my liking at CB. 

I haven't done the math, but i"m assuming the size of the class will be based on the 85 roster, not our available signatures.  I think with the rise of the portal, we won't have trouble getting enough attrition to get to 22-24 spots, and it would be a mistake to take a smaller class in 2020, because I think it'll be our most successful recruiting year yet. 

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Can we just all agree to not post EJ's 7 on 7 stuff or make its own thread for it? I generally loathe people who thread police and want to make a new thread for everything, but EJ's 7 on 7 shit is so regarded and just utterly abhorrent, that we would all be much better off not having to see that shit when we click on the 2020 thread.

This dude is a fucking pathetic shill for the guys Ro wants to pimp on top of being worse at evaluating prospects than literally anyone not named Spider2YBanana.  I know, for one, this thread will be much, much more enjoyable without having to see EJ's 7 on 7 bullshit all offseason. 

It's about the only hard news from the whole offseason and it's a decent barometer for the skill position guys. He's a twat but it is actual recruiting content.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I'm fine with 4 WR if Ingram counts at WR, otherwise, I"d say 3 WR and add another ATH or drop to 23 spots.  I'd also like to see 3 guys who are projected to play Corner, including nickel. We're unbelievably deep at S,  but we're still a little thin for my liking at CB. 

I haven't done the math, but i"m assuming the size of the class will be based on the 85 roster, not our available signatures.  I think with the rise of the portal, we won't have trouble getting enough attrition to get to 22-24 spots, and it would be a mistake to take a smaller class in 2020, because I think it'll be our most successful recruiting year yet. 

WR is four if we land who we want; Mookie, Demas, Omeire, and Dixon. If we whiff on Mookie or Demas, we could take one or two less, as Dixon can fill in Mookie's spot, and Demas' spot could just not get filled 

For DB, ideally we're looking at two safeties (two of Washington, Thompson, and Snow?), Jones as the nickel, and two corners (Ringo and one more, maybe converting someone like Rogers to corner). We could shave a spot here if we think Jones is a corner. 

Just now, Fud said:

For DB, ideally we're looking at two safeties (two of Washington, Thompson, and Snow?), Jones as the nickel, and two corners (Ringo and one more, maybe converting someone like Rogers to corner). We could shave a spot here if we think Jones is a corner. 

I would say Jalen Kimber could be an option at CB  but in don't think he's visited and he may be all aggy.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's about the only hard news from the whole offseason and it's a decent barometer for the skill position guys. He's a twat but it is actual recruiting content.

I like you, Tex. but that is just flat out bullshit.  EJ's shitty attempt at analysis of fake football is not hard news or a decent barometer of skill position guys by any stretch of the imagination. Whatever, I'm sure it'll still get posted but I wish EJ had any ounce of writing skill, so he could get picked up by some other team or other industry entirely. Sadly, his writing has actually devolved drastically since he started with 247 and his prospects of being hired away, shall we say, not promising.

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

WR is four if we land who we want; Mookie, Demas, Omeire, and Dixon. If we whiff on Mookie or Demas, we could take one or two less, as Dixon can fill in Mookie's spot, and Demas' spot could just not get filled 

I'm with you. If we could get those 4, then WR should be 4, but there's almost no chance we land all four of those guys. 

Arizona is unusually stacked this year (For AZ standards). Good thing we got a foothold in that state last year and have had Beck and others visiting some of these guys for over a year now. Idk if Herman and Co. planned htis out, or if we just had prospects we liked in AZ in 2019 and visited a lot of these 2020 guys as a convenient add on, but either way, good fucking job by the staff. The top 8 or so guys in AZ are studs, and landing even just 1 or 2 of them would be a big addition to the class. 

I like you, Tex. but that is just flat out bullshit.  EJ's shitty attempt at analysis of fake football is not hard news or a decent barometer of skill position guys by any stretch of the imagination. Whatever, I'm sure it'll still get posted but I wish EJ had any ounce of writing skill, so he could get picked up by some other team or other industry entirely. Sadly, his writing has actually devolved drastically since he started with 247 and his prospects of being hired away, shall we say, not promising.

I'm with you. If we could get those 4, then WR should be 4, but there's almost no chance we land all four of those guys. 

I'm not ruling out many scenarios. There's a decent chance we'll get who we want. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Shepherd, in regards to Demas. Shepherd looked dead in the water until word came out that he was actually visiting Georgia and Bama. 

2 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

EJ was wrong on Rondale Moore for sure. On the other hand, pimping Jaylen Waddle looks pretty appropriate in retrospect. 

Gonna need a shower after kind of sticking up for him. 

First off, Waddle was a borderline 5 star the whole process, so EJ saying Waddle was good is not some point in his favor. Literally everyone knew that. The disparity he claimed between Moore and Waddle shows what a poor evaluator of talent he is.

Second, EJ is a mouthpiece for shady handles, like Ro and Lyles.  That's the biggest issue. He gets used as their mouthpiece, whether knowingly or unkowingly. Pimping McGlothern is just the latest evidence of this. He's not just bad at talent evaluation, he's a mouthpiece for the shadiest, slimiest dudes in recruiting. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I will continue to stand by the premise that the class is smaller. Max of 20.

1 QB

2 TB

2 WR

1 ATH

5 OL

4 DL

1 LB

4 DB

If it goes under that, scratch the ATH and a DB. 

They’re talking right now like 15 is still the number. So, well, good luck getting it up to 24. 

I could see something around 20 or 21. I get what you're hearing, I know others are hearing the same, but something in the teens seems unlikely. 

Landing Bru and likely taking Lakia directly take number from the 2020 class, as does signing Shepherd if that happens, all of which are fine, but I'll stick to my guns here that the staff will end up making room to get studs into the fold

Edited by Fud

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1 QB

2 TB

2 WR

1 ATH

5 OL

4 DL

1 LB

4 DB

They’re talking right now like 15 is still the number. So, well, good luck getting it up to 24. 

I'm not saying you're wrong on your 15 player projection, but if we can't find a way to get up to at least 20, it will be a huge fucking mistake. We're in such a great spot for so many elite 2020 guys that this staff needs to push some dudes out if it has to. 

7 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

EJ was wrong on Rondale Moore for sure. On the other hand, pimping Jaylen Waddle looks pretty appropriate in retrospect. 

Gonna need a shower after kind of sticking up for him. 

Willie Lyles delivered Waddle to Lupoi before the kid played his senior season. There wasn’t any confusion about Waddle being a player. I don’t think it is reasonable for people following along to know or believe all of the recruiting rumors and such, so it doesn’t both me much when people here keep bringing things up like “maybe we’ll circle back to Waddle” during that period. What bothers me is that EJ Holland is paid to know better, and he didn’t/doesn’t. He spent time during that cycle defending the honor and character of Slick Willie and running down Rondale Moore because of the shit talked about him by Simon, Lyles and crew. Do not defend Holland for anything, as he’s earned his accolades as a Taylor Hamm level shilling dumbfuck. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

I could see something around 20 or 21. I get what you're hearing, I know others are hearing the same, but something in the teens seems unlikely. 

Landing Bru and likely taking Lakia directly take number from the 2020 class, as does signing Shepherd if that happens, all of which are fine, but I'll stick to my guns here that the staff will end up making room to get studs into the fold

For numbers sake, with Bru on board, say we keep Shepherd and add Henry, then what is the starting number we are at with the 2020 class?

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I'm not saying you're wrong on your 15 player projection, but if we can't find a way to get up to at least 20, it will be a huge fucking mistake. We're in such a great spot for so many elite 2020 guys that this staff needs to push some dudes out if it has to. 

To be clear, it isn’t my projection. I’m on this board with the same addiction as you fuckers. I would like to see us take 25+ every year. They’re just not expecting a ton of attrition. Thus far, Herman has shown a knack for misreading the outlook for a number of his players, so I am sure if 10 guys leave between now and next December, the numbers will shoot up. 

One problem is that there do not appear to be many candidates for early NFL entry after this season. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

For numbers sake, with Bru on board, say we keep Shepherd and add Henry, then what is the starting number we are at with the 2020 class?

Apparently the coaches think something around 15, but I don't know 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Apparently the coaches think something around 15, but I don't know 

Beuchele and Houston add 2 don't they?  I guess we'll have a clearer picture after NSD2.  Mike Williams opened a spot.  

It should also be noted we'll have two offseasons/spring ball to get wherever we want.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

1 QB
2 TB
2 WR
1 ATH
5 OL
4 DL
1 LB
4 DB

This is where I think we will be as well.

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Beuchele and Houston add 2 don't they?  I guess we'll have a clearer picture after NSD2.  Mike Williams opened a spot.  

It should also be noted we'll have two offseasons/spring ball to get wherever we want.

2015 kids like Houston don't really add to the 2020 class, although Rising, Shane, and Porter all do, although adding Bru and Lakia take away from those spots 

I can think of about ten guys right away who'd make sense to be processed by the 2020 fall camp when we have to be under the 85 man limit 

I do wonder if Herman buys into Dabo's process of having an older roster due to a high percentage of redshirting and not processing guys out of the program like the other powers do 

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I still think we'll see about a handful transfer out before the summer and that's not counting Hudson's possible medical retirement.

At least we are in a better spot to take numbers than aggy is at this point.

Always player movement once Spring Ball is over and each player has 1-on-1 meetings right after the Spring Game.....

Guys that may count toward 2020:

QB: Sam, Casey, RoJo (3)

RB: Young, Ingram, Brown +/- Porter (3-4)

WR Woodard, Eagles, Moore, J Whit, Washington, Smith, Epps, Bru, Likely Lewis, Maybe Pouncey (8-10)

TE: Brewer, Leitao, Wiley, Liebrock (4)

OL: Okafor, Kerstetter, Imade, Moore, Cosmi, Ghirmai, Jones, Angilau, Johnson, Hookfin (10)

OL Maybes: Urquidez, Hudson, Shepherd (+/- 3)

DL: Bimage, Graham, Jones, Coburn, Ojomo, Cummins, Sweat, Mpagi, Warren, Carson, Ossai (11)

LB: Johnson, Boyd, Adeoye, Overshown, Vaughns, Floyd, Tillman (7)

DB: Brown, Duv, Thompson, Green, Cook, Boyce, Sterns, Estell, Foster, Jamison, Watson, Adimora, Owens (13)

K/P: Dicker, Bujcevski (2)

Late 2019 additions (+/- 3)

I may be missing some. I see 15 as the bare minimum available. Knock out Porter, a WR, Urquidez, Hudson, and one or 2 LB/DB, plus assume we only add two more players this year who will still be here in 2020 (even assuming Shep sticks), and we are at 21-22 before surprise attrition sets in. I think we will be taking more than 20.

Based on the 2018 IT roster chart, we have the remaining number of guys who will be back for 2020 if they don't declare early:

We have 24 in 2019, including 1 of Shep or Lakia.

2018: 26 - Rising = 25

2017: 13

2016: Hudson, Okafor, Imade, Brown, Don Duv, Urquidez

I'm not counting Kirk Johnson even though he could technically get a med redshirt for his 6th year.

So that's a total of 67, which gets us to 17 spots in 2020 already.

I could easily see the following guys transfer or retire: Hudson, Pouncey, Urquidez (grad transfer/pushed out), Don Duv, Estell. There are others who could very possibly transfer if they don't see the field next year and you could always have guys like Cosmi or Graham leave early if they have a huge year. 

There's also the possibility of attrition due to off field issues, but just taking out 17 number plus the 5 guys that could easily leave the program by next year, that gets us to 22 fairly easily.

I just don't see any way we only take anywhere near 15 if we do as well on the recruiting trail as we seem to be setup to do. IMO, anything short of 20 would be a huge mistake, because we'd be passing on some incredibly talented recruits.

8 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Guys that may count toward 2020:

QB: Sam, Casey, RoJo (3)

RB: Young, Ingram, Brown +/- Porter (3-4)

WR Woodard, Eagles, Moore, J Whit, Washington, Smith, Epps, Bru, Likely Lewis, Maybe Pouncey (8-10)

TE: Brewer, Leitao, Wiley, Liebrock (4)

OL: Okafor, Kerstetter, Imade, Moore, Cosmi, Ghirmai, Jones, Angilau, Johnson, Hookfin (10)

OL Maybes: Urquidez, Hudson, Shepherd (+/- 3)

DL: Bimage, Graham, Jones, Coburn, Ojomo, Cummins, Sweat, Mpagi, Warren, Carson, Ossai (11)

LB: Johnson, Boyd, Adeoye, Overshown, Vaughns, Floyd, Tillman (7)

DB: Brown, Duv, Thompson, Green, Cook, Boyce, Sterns, Estell, Foster, Jamison, Watson, Adimora, Owens (13)

K/P: Dicker, Bujcevski (2)

Late 2019 additions (+/- 3)

I may be missing some. I see 15 as the bare minimum available. Knock out Porter, a WR, Urquidez, Hudson, and one or 2 LB/DB, plus assume we only add two more players this year who will still be here in 2020 (even assuming Shep sticks), and we are at 21-22 before surprise attrition sets in. I think we will be taking more than 20.

10 OL going into 2020 season?  Yeah we're probably going to need another Grad Transfer this time next year even if we have 5 incoming freshmen OL.

Based on the 2018 IT roster chart, we have the remaining number of guys who will be back for 2020 if they don't declare early:

I'm not counting Kirk Johnson even though he could technically get a med redshirt for his 6th year.

I could easily see the following guys transfer or retire: Hudson, Pouncey, Urquidez (grad transfer/pushed out), Don Duv, Estell. There are others who could very possibly transfer if they don't see the field next year and you could always have guys like Cosmi or Graham leave early if they have a huge year. 

There's also the possibility of attrition due to off field issues, but just taking out 17 number plus the 5 guys that could easily leave the program by next year, that gets us to 22 fairly easily.

I just don't see any way we only take anywhere near 15 if we do as well on the recruiting trail as we seem to be setup to do. IMO, anything short of 20 would be a huge mistake, because we'd be passing on some incredibly talented recruits.

I can see Don Duv leaving next spring when Dev Duv graduates.

As of right now, we're at 83.

If we sign Shepherd and Henry, that's 85.

I'm going to assume Boyd is off the team going forward, that's 84.

We have 3 players in the portal right now. If they all leave, that's 81.

We have 13 non-portaled seniors, and I'm going to assume that none of the 4th-year seniors redshirt. That's 68 after graduation. Any grad transfers this we bring in this spring/summer would almost certainly not affect 2020 numbers (as far as I know, we're not in on any GTs with multiple years of eligibility remaining, such as Buechele or Burrow).

So 17 is the conservative estimate of open spots.

• Like 2

Taking out the 11 seniors who will graduate after next season, assuming none redshirt like Burt did, the remaining roster is at 68 with the 2019 class added, Lakia Henry and Shepherd included, which already gives us room for 17 if we don't included the current portal kids like Porter and Buechele. Unless my math is wrong somewhere, which could be the case. This number includes guys like Hudson and Demarco Boyd, who could easily be processed. 

The staff could be wanting to save room for multi-year transfer additions, grad transfers, and bumping up walkons to scholarship players, but we have about 19 months before the 2020 fall camp starts when I believe you have to be under the 85 man scholarship rule. It seems like it shouldn't be too difficult to get to 24, much less 20, even with incoming transfers and some walkons getting scholarships. 

I think the staff is leaking a low class number so they can do thinks like leverage kids into grabbing a spot in the class, and using small numbers as an excuse to not take kids commitments when they don't want to, so they can have more time to evaluate and see how higher priority recruitment shake out. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Beat me to it. At least our numbers tie. 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I think the staff is leaking a low class number so they can do thinks like leverage kids into grabbing a spot in the class, and using small numbers as an excuse to not take kids commitments when they don't want to, so they can have more time to evaluate and see how higher priority recruitment shake out. 

Same. A number like 15 defies logic, and I think they want to push some high-level guys into the class ASAP to build a concensus and also to be able to keep bakcup options at deep positions like RB and S warm without pissing them off. 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

If we actually do take a really small class in the teens, it means they've planning on taking several multi-year transfers, giving walkons scholarships, and/or don't want to potentially take spots away from the 2021 class. 

Even then, we'll have plenty of early entrants from the 2018 class to make up for a small 2017 graduating class and, at the point where we're talking about 2021 recruits, our roster will be so talented, that natural attrition will play a role in transfers, opening up more spots. 

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

If we actually do take a really small class in the teens, it means they've planning on taking several multi-year transfers, giving walkons scholarships, and/or don't want to potentially take spots away from the 2021 class. 

I think you nailed it earlier. They want places in our class to sound scarce.

Edited by Magus Ossis

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

As of right now, we're at 83.

If we sign Shepherd and Henry, that's 85.

I'm going to assume Boyd is off the team going forward, that's 84.

We have 3 players in the portal right now. If they all leave, that's 81.

We have 13 non-portaled seniors, and I'm going to assume that none of the 4th-year seniors redshirt. That's 68 after graduation. Any grad transfers this we bring in this spring/summer would almost certainly not affect 2020 numbers (as far as I know, we're not in on any GTs with multiple years of eligibility remaining, such as Buechele or Burrow).

So 17 is the conservative estimate of open spots.

Yeah, I got us at 79 pending the outcomes of Shepherd, Boyd and Hudson. I have Porter, Buechele, and Houston gone. That would leave 11 SRs, and 6 current open spots. Plenty of room for GTs and a starting number of 17 for next year.