Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

33 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Nobody is saying this.

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Ya that wasn’t what was said at all but it’s interesting that you interpreted that way.

My post was slightly tongue in cheek, but I just don't agree that, as you put it, "the Stanford Texas equation has changed for the future." As long as Stanford fields a competitive football team that puts guys in the league and offers an education on par with the Ivy Leagues, the Stanford equation is a constant. They will always be a threat to sign guys like Little, Bragg, Lindberg, etc. We could win 3 national championships in the next decade and still lose guys to them. 

I don't really want to open this can of worms because it's been beaten to death, but to assume that Stanford poses less of a threat in recruiting is premature. I'm gonna wait until we win the majority of these head-to-head battles before I can start disregarding them.

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

My post was slightly tongue in cheek, but I just don't agree that, as you put it, "the Stanford Texas equation has changed for the future." As long as Stanford fields a competitive football team that puts guys in the league and offers an education on par with the Ivy Leagues, the Stanford equation is a constant. They will always be a threat to sign guys like Little, Bragg, Lindberg, etc. We could win 3 national championships in the next decade and still lose guys to them. 

I don't really want to open this can of worms because it's been beaten to death, but to assume that Stanford poses less of a threat in recruiting is premature. I'm gonna wait until we win the majority of these head-to-head battles before I can start disregarding them.

It's more that we're better equipped to fight them than we have been.

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Is it actually realistic to get all 5 of the OLs we're targeting? At some point it seems like they're going to look around and see too much competition with each other. For example, if we do end up adding Majors, Lindberg and Garth, George could see 4 commits already on board and decide to go somewhere with an easier path to playing time, which could then affect Evans.

Mack, is that you? 

Even if this thread hits 1,000, this will be the dumbest take of the thread. Lets not take our top OL targets because it might make Evans look elsewhere!!!

• Like 1

Just now, texastough said:

Mack, is that you? 

Even if this thread hits 1,000, this will be the dumbest take of the thread. Lets not take our top OL targets because it might make Evans look elsewhere!!!

Please point me to where I said we shouldn't take them. 

No one said we would never lose a player to them ever again. Of course they will be a threat. It is pretty clear, however, that we are stronger than in the past and they are weaker. The data is there for all to see. That will translate to more coming our way than over the last few years. It’s science yo.

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Is it actually realistic to get all 5 of the OLs we're targeting? At some point it seems like they're going to look around and see too much competition with each other. For example, if we do end up adding Majors, Lindberg and Garth, George could see 4 commits already on board and decide to go somewhere with an easier path to playing time, which could then affect Evans.

Well considering you have 2 interior guys for sure in Parr and Majors, one guy that projects to either OG/OT in Lindberg, and 2 OTs. I would say it would be the perfect line class, and the depth chart at Texas should be enticing as there isn't a lot of experienced depth right now to keep those guys off the field for 2-3 years.

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Don't worry. Multiple posters have insisted that the narrative has changed re: Stanford and they're no longer a threat because we won one big game. Apparently people won't care about a Stanford education anymore because we beat Georgia.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

I don't totally disagree but I do think that Stanford's day in the sun may be waning a bit in terms of 10 win football and the NFL impact OL/DL being cranked out - the education is indeed legit and will always and forever pay dividends in OL recruiting.  For years they physically punished their opponents in the trenches, but Roman and Bloomgren are exceptional coaches. Their ability to develop players was a huge part of the NFL equation. Carberry is no Roman or Bloomgren. 

Stanford will ALWAYS be a destination school and as you said "We could win 3 national championships in the next decade and still lose guys to them." -- totally agreed. That part will never go away. It's impact will simply be less if the NFL pedigree isn't in play. Stanford is not physically dominating opponents in the trenches the way they have been and it's talented recruits are not showing development. That will likely manifest itself in the draft and likely on Pac 12 scoreboards as well over the next 3-5 years. They got manhandled up front in several conference games this season - their meal ticket has been being the most physical Pac 12 team. 

Combine the above with the clear direction of this Texas team and it's physical brand of football ...  

** Walker Little was never coming to Texas. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Maybe, but that is not how this usually works.

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

I don't think this is an issue with the 2020 class after potentially taking only two high schoolers in 2019

I think it could be a factor in 2021 after landing what appears to be the preferred five OL class in 2020, especially at tackle if/when we land Brockermeyer early and add one more tackle like Conner, and then try to talk a third one like Fatheree or Jackson into the class

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

I don't think this is an issue with the 2020 class after potentially taking only two high schoolers in 2019

I think it could be a factor in 2021 after landing what appears to be the preferred five OL class in 2020, especially at tackle if/when we land Brockermeyer early and add one more tackle like Conner, and then try to talk a third one like Fatheree or Jackson into the class

I mean, you type that like it's a detriment to our efforts as a program but I read that entire second sentence and my reaction is:

28b68d04506a0e60aa7d994f9f8e8d71.gif

7 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Just as long as you understand he's a guard not a tackle.  To me he's another Patrick Vahe, but hopefully with a little better awareness in pass pro.

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Well considering you have 2 interior guys for sure in Parr and Majors, one guy that projects to either OG/OT in Lindberg, and 2 OTs. I would say it would be the perfect line class, and the depth chart at Texas should be enticing as there isn't a lot of experienced depth right now to keep those guys off the field for 2-3 years.

You're both definitively stating that Majors is a guard. I've only seen him as a Tackle. Where is this confidence in him being an inside guy coming from? 

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

You're both definitively stating that Majors is a guard. I've only seen him as a Tackle. Where is this confidence in him being an inside guy coming from?  

From him apparently being a bit short for tackle, especially since Hand likes tall tackles

12 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

He's shaped like guys who almost always play in the interior 

Being completely honest, if my children were athletically gifted enough to merit multiple P5 offers and the fit made sense otherwise (by position/coach/need/etc), one of the only schools I would seriously be fine with along with Texas of course would be Stanford.  It's just too good academically to ignore versus almost any other major football program and academics would always be a big factor for me personally.  

Edited by UTDD
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

and the most athletic kid in school usually plays SS on the baseball team, but very few actually stick there as they move up in level of competition.

• Like 1

Being completely honest, if my children were athletically gifted enough to merit multiple P5 offers and the fit made sense otherwise (by position/coach/need/etc), one of the only schools I would seriously be fine with along with Texas of course would be Stanford.  It's just too good academically to ignore versus almost any other major football program and academics would always be a big factor for me personally.  

467cfea3ed86a756d3506607f980d875.gif

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

We're getting everybody!

IT on OOS recruits

Texas offered 2021 Upland (CA) linebacker Jonathan Flowe and 2020 Buford (GA) athlete T Lee. 

#####

Flowe is the younger brother of 2020 human missile Justin Flowe. Jonathan looks a lot like his brother based on the combined three minutes of Hudl I've watched combined. It doesn't require much to come to the conclusion they're obvious offers who will be dog-fights. 

With USC still spiraling out of control, Texas could position itself as an attractive option similar to last year with De'Gabriel Floyd and Chris Adimora. 

Jonathan says the Flowes will "for sure" visit Texas this summer. With players of their caliber all you can do is hope that an unofficial leads to an official and take it from there.

#####

Lee is committed to Arizona State. He's considered an athlete but I'll let him tell it.

"I've been hearing from Texas for about two weeks. Yeah, I'm hoping corner. I do know i want to play defense in college."

It's always a good sign when a corner prospect envisions himself as a corner rather than receiver.

On if he wants to visit and how close he is to 2019 signee Derrian Brown.

"Yeah, of course I want to visit. I know I'll obviously be taking an official to ASU but I would like to take an official to Texas also. So yes, I want to visit. And Derrian is my boy. He's the best running back in 2019, I don't care what anybody says. He's family, he's the homie." 

I had to check my phone to make sure I wasn't accidentally texting with @Horn17. 

Lee says he'll probably take spring officials. 

There aren't a ton of corner candidates instate, so I'm not surprised to see UT look elsewhere. This could be a 'get him warm, keep him warm' situation. At 5-11, 175, he doesn't exactly fit the Texas profile but maybe they think he's Deandre Baker or something.

#####

Justin mentioned Todd Orlando will be in Seattle tomorrow to visit with Sav'ell Smalls. He could end up being a defensive end, or outside linebacker. It doesn't matter which, like Justin Flowe his five stars are well deserved. 

I haven't heard back from Smalls yet but he's always offered positive feedback and I'm expecting him to make a spring or summer visit. If Texas could somehow land Smalls, shoot the Space Needle straight into my veins.

Overall it's nice to see Texas shopping in the right aisles. In the Southeast the staff has a genuine chance for a player like Lee and out West it can contend for some five-stars. This harnesses two program strengths under Tom Herman: the ability to evaluate at a high level for lesser regarded players and the ability to capitalize on a once shiny brand that's finally knocking the tarnish off.

There's also one more OOS recruit we're trying to get ahold of, but we'll probably go more into that tomorrow. Still waiting on some details.

10 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

George won’t be going to Texas. Better to load up on the talented guys that want to be here.

• Fuck You 4

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

IT on OOS recruits

Hide contents

Texas offered 2021 Upland (CA) linebacker Jonathan Flowe and 2020 Buford (GA) athlete T Lee. 

#####

Flowe is the younger brother of 2020 human missile Justin Flowe. Jonathan looks a lot like his brother based on the combined three minutes of Hudl I've watched combined. It doesn't require much to come to the conclusion they're obvious offers who will be dog-fights. 

With USC still spiraling out of control, Texas could position itself as an attractive option similar to last year with De'Gabriel Floyd and Chris Adimora. 

Jonathan says the Flowes will "for sure" visit Texas this summer. With players of their caliber all you can do is hope that an unofficial leads to an official and take it from there.

#####

Lee is committed to Arizona State. He's considered an athlete but I'll let him tell it.

"I've been hearing from Texas for about two weeks. Yeah, I'm hoping corner. I do know i want to play defense in college."

It's always a good sign when a corner prospect envisions himself as a corner rather than receiver.

On if he wants to visit and how close he is to 2019 signee Derrian Brown.

"Yeah, of course I want to visit. I know I'll obviously be taking an official to ASU but I would like to take an official to Texas also. So yes, I want to visit. And Derrian is my boy. He's the best running back in 2019, I don't care what anybody says. He's family, he's the homie." 

I had to check my phone to make sure I wasn't accidentally texting with @Horn17. 

Lee says he'll probably take spring officials. 

There aren't a ton of corner candidates instate, so I'm not surprised to see UT look elsewhere. This could be a 'get him warm, keep him warm' situation. At 5-11, 175, he doesn't exactly fit the Texas profile but maybe they think he's Deandre Baker or something.

#####

Justin mentioned Todd Orlando will be in Seattle tomorrow to visit with Sav'ell Smalls. He could end up being a defensive end, or outside linebacker. It doesn't matter which, like Justin Flowe his five stars are well deserved. 

I haven't heard back from Smalls yet but he's always offered positive feedback and I'm expecting him to make a spring or summer visit. If Texas could somehow land Smalls, shoot the Space Needle straight into my veins.

Overall it's nice to see Texas shopping in the right aisles. In the Southeast the staff has a genuine chance for a player like Lee and out West it can contend for some five-stars. This harnesses two program strengths under Tom Herman: the ability to evaluate at a high level for lesser regarded players and the ability to capitalize on a once shiny brand that's finally knocking the tarnish off.

There's also one more OOS recruit we're trying to get ahold of, but we'll probably go more into that tomorrow. Still waiting on some details.

Does IT proofread their articles?!

IT notes

- Coach Naivar was in Houston yesterday, and went by to see C.E. King DB Bryson Washington. That’s three times he’s seen the UT staff in less than a week. 

Naivar ended the evening at the Lufkin-Nacogdoches basketball game. Lufkin has a 2020 safety, Jerrin Thompson, whom I’ve mentioned a few times over the year. 

Texas likes Thompson, but if it’s a 2-Safety class, Thompson is likely behind Chris Thompson (Duncanville) and Darius Snow (Hebron). 

- Coach Warehime will be in the DFW area today checking out a few 2020 targets. Mikey Henderson, Drew Sanders, and Jake Majors are a few.

Then he hits ETX to see targets like Kelvontay Dixon (Carthage), Ty’kieast Crawford (Carthage), Lyrik Rawls (Jefferson), Savion Williams (Marshall) and Caleb Medford (Henderson), among the group. 

He’ll swing through Temple on his way back and watch 2020 WR Quinten Johnston play basketball. 

- Coach Orlando is set to see Seattle (WA) 5-star LB Sav’ell Smalls today. This is a relationship that’s growing between Smalls and the staff. Blue chips are always hard to grab OOS, but Herman’s philosophy demands they pursue the best players. 

IT Q&A part 1 (EN is Eric Nahlin, JW is Justin Wells)

Q: Fully understand it’s early but would you say Texas has a 50/50 shot of landing Garth, Majors, Parr, George, Lindenburg for 2020 OL or is that too high?

EN: Mathematically that's probably right, I guess, but right now that's most likely. If each kid was forced to shut his recruitment down, that's what I bet it would be. Still have to worry about Stanford for Lindberg and where Evans lands for George.

Q: If we lose out on Zach Evans sweepstakes who would you like to see the staff prioritize as a plan B?

EN: Even though I have some questions, I'd like Jase McClellan as RB1 in that scenario.

Q: Is there a prospect who the board views as a Texas lock that’s actually more open to other destinations?

EN: Hmmm, I do have some concerns over Mookie Cooper being considered a lock to sign with Texas.

Q: Can we get %’s on Garth, Lindeberg, and George?

EN: Garth = 85%; Lindberg = ask me a week after the Stanford visit to let it wear off; George = absolutely LOVES Texas after the visit, he made that very clear, but with him seemingly tied at the hip with Evans I can't put a percentage on just him. 

Q: When do you think we’ll get some clarity on WR recruiting?

EN: By mid-February at the latest.

Q: All things considered, O/U for 2020 class size?

EN: 23.5. 

Q: Is Texas recruiting (Bryson) Washington as a S, a CB or nickle?

JW: Right now, defensive back. They love his size and versatility. Probably too big for CB, nickel would be nice.

Q: Are we on any OOS OL? Kid from Columbine here in Colorado is high 4-star.

JW: Chris Morris, OT from Memphis. He’ll likely visit Texas before the summer.

Q: Name 3 2020 defensive players that Texas is a good spot for.

EN: Chris Thompson, Bryson Washington, Jaylon Jones

Q: List the following players from each year from most likely to commit to Texas to least likely.

EN: 2020 - Parr, Majors, Garth, Lindberg, George (George is as high on UT as anyone else right now); 2021 - Brockermeyer, Foster, Fatheree, Conner, Jackson, Cade (need to get to know him better, staff loves him -- he's the upside risk guy)

Q: What would make Lindberg choose the trees over bevo this yr? Is it just the education that will do it, bc the teams appear to be going in opposite directions?

EN: For Stanford to land him they need Chad to fall in love with everything, not just academics.

• Like 2

IT Q&A part 2:

Q: Sleepers (or under-ranked) in 2020? Kids like the safety from Plano East (I am blanking on his name).

EN: I like OL Wesley Ndago from Midway but his fit is redundant to Parr and Majors. Herbert Gums is a guy that's been mentioned for a year and he just visited. We'll find a few gems in the next month or so.

Q: Also, any guess on % for Ringo? We've offered three of the top 4 from Arizona for 2020. I like them all.

EN: Anybody making predictions on Ringo before his list of OV's comes out is clinically insane.

Q: Who's the QB2 if we end up going that route?

EN: No clue. They should take their time, though. I know many like King but he's the Colt version of Case to me. What does he do that's great? Can you win a Natty with him? I'm not so sure. Solid player and I know college coaches who are big fans but my preference is for two in 2021.

Q: Which recruit for 2020 do we really need to get on board early who will be the bell cow aka recruiting leader?

EN: Well, Card and Parr were a great start in that regard. Lindberg helps, but Majors helps with him. What's important is the staff is building a general consensus with a pretty large pool of players. It's going down.

Q: Three 2020 prospects you’d offer right now; Three 2021 prospects you’d over right now

EN: 2020 - EJ Smith, Quentin Johnston, Jaxon Smith-Njigba; 2021 - Jatavion Sanders, Devon Martin, and how about JD Coffey. Ha ha, I don't know. Still getting to know them.

Q: Anybody up next in the Lamar (DBHS) pipeline?

EN: No high profile guys I'm aware of. They had JoJo Wilson but he went to North Shore.

Q: What do you think might be important to Lindberg? If he's focused on academics and being a great player, I wouldn't think nightlife would be that important (Austin), or weather (Stanford). Seems like it will come down to relationships with coaches, teammates, advisors and academic program. What else is there?

EN: Well rounded people want a well rounded situation. Everything that goes into a football focused player matters. Everything that goes into a serious student matters. Everything that goes with being a normal kid who wants to have fun and feel comfortable matters.

Q: The fact that Quarterback depth appears to now be an oxymoron for college teams, do you think recruiting one Quarterback per class will become the norm? I think recruiting more than one will only be done in extremely unique cases.

EN: It'll be interesting. I think more will take program types like a Matt Nordgren to protect them. If you're a top program, you'll always be able to find someone in the portal if your need is that drastic.

Q: Do you think it is possible that Texas could actually get both Evans and McClellan?

EN: No, I don't think Evans and McClellan would end up at the same school. Evans and Kendall Milton have talked about playing together but I think that's exactly what that is, talk.

Q: What is the most likely position Ja'Quinden Jackson plays in college? 

EN: Either a slot/flex weapon or linebacker. I think linebacker.

Q:  If Demond Demas remains committed to Texas A&M. would a Receiver duo of Troy Omeire and Quentin Johnston be comparable?

EN: Omeire won me over on Junior tape. He's not just a target guy but decently dynamic on the ground for an X. I'd be ecstatic. 

Q: Vernon Broughton and DeMarvin Leal seem to have similarities, at least to me. How close do you think their styles of play are and development might be?

EN: They fill the same fit for sure as guys who can play 4i and in on passing downs. I think Broughton is more fluid with better feet but that Leal has a little more twitch.

Q: I did some brief Hudl perusing and I haven't seen any appealing 2020 NTs in Texas and looked at a few OOS that didn't wow me either. Who am I missing that Texas might be interested in?

EN: Forget nose tackles. Grow big, athletic defensive ends. If you're hell bent on a DT, maybe Brandon Brown from Morton Ranch. He's better than the much more highly rated Branard Wright.

Q: What do you look for in a prospect that makes you think he can play nickel on tape?

EN: If he's a safety, he better be able to cover. If he's a corner, he better be able to play big. You're looking for a tweener but in the positive sense.

Q: Setting the class O/U at 23.5, how many of those are committed by Sept 1? 15?

EN: Mid to high teens I'd say.

Q: With the early momentum, how much room is the staff going to leave themselves for some late risers?

EN: They'll always leave room, but they may need to be more cautious this cycle as guys are more likely to want to reserve a spot.

Q: So if Lindberg is possibly recruiting for us, what am I missing as to why the percentages aren't higher for him? I'm a little slow so thanks for your patience.

EN: Did I put a percentage on him? I don't think I did. I'm mildly leery of Stanford but I think UT is the heavy favorite before he makes that visit.

5 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Some kids are going to go to Stanford. It's a great university, but we also have Herb Hand who can find those diamond in the rough types, too. Just keep winning. It's not like Texas doesn't have great academics, too. Winning cures all. 

/obviously 

What a new and interesting take. Tell me more.

• Like 1