Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

With Parr and Majors in the fold, I think we're looking good at guard. This staff doesn't like to take too many interior linemen.

I didn't follow the Bryce Young recruitment too closely, but from what I could recall it was Oklahoma who had the real shot at him before USC flexed their (weakening) Mater Dei muscle. I think we were probably a close 3rd but on the outside looking in.

Uneducated guess but could Rattler make ou a non-option for Young?  Then it becomes Texas or usc.

17 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I think so too. From what I remember we were second early in his process then OU jumped us. I think it was always USC though. 

That was also before this year. Now USC is a dumpster fire, we can sell a competent offense with great WRs, and he'd come in to redshirt Sam's senior year then have an open competition. 

We'll just have to wait and see if anything happens though. 

At first I thought we could really use this kid.  But we'll have C. Thompson and R. Johnson in the fold and gunning for P. Stone in 2021.  Can't get them all and if we did, some would enter the portal like Rising.

6 minutes ago, Snotrocket said:

At first I thought we could really use this kid.  But we'll have C. Thompson and R. Johnson in the fold and gunning for P. Stone in 2021.  Can't get them all and if we did, some would enter the portal like Rising.

Have you watched his videos. He looks like an incredible player.  Fast as hell with a cannon. 

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Have you watched his videos. He looks like an incredible player.  Fast as hell with a cannon. 

No, just the 3 I listed.  I also haven't checked where they all compare to each other.  I know the Stone kid looks incredibly talented and he loves Texas.

Club, how would you rank Thompson, Johnson, Young and Stone?

Today was a day that exemplifies the cultural buy-in Herman has been fostering. Guys recognize what they’re building and see their roles as members of the Texas family and know that they need to recruit others to join them. You see that with Sam’s exchange above, D. Floyd’s recruitment of Bru, and Logan Parr and Majors’ exchange with Chad Lindberg.

This is how champions are built. 

But aggy will show us when Shitbird Shepherd flips. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Also:
(CA Rank) Name Position (Committed to)

4. CB Elias Ricks (LSU)
5. OG Myles Murao (USC)
7. QB Bryce Young (USC)
14. CB Darion Green-Warren (OU)
55. LB Kobah Fuamatu
60. ATH Kody Epps

Figured they'd have more in their top 100.

I'm sure they'll pick up one or two more by the end. Let's pick up Myles Murao since someone said George might not like us and the other two uncommitted guys for good measure.

1 hour ago, RabidM said:

Bru was pitched on playing both sides of the ball. 

He was pitched as a WR primary, his preferred position, and we told him wed love for him to have a package of plays on defense. He said cool. Our pitch stood apart becsuse 9O% if cfb teams wanted him as an olb. But his preferred position is WR, and therefore casually slating him at LB is stupid. The same reason you dont see us slating Whittington at Safety. If mccoy becomes a full time, every down lb for us it will be well after spending 1-2 years at WR. But id love to be wrong.

The staff has told people Epps is staying at WR. He cant add the weight and now they see the value in a collin johnson size mismatch on the outside.

10 hours ago, Snotrocket said:

As in club whatever.  I was wondering how B. Young rates to our quarterbacks.

Here, get you a 2-for-1 and just watch Bru's senior highlights. You'll see plenty of dimes by Young.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6094872/5b96b0ed4dec670c284a0a21

Edited by lonestar3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

With this huge ol pickup, I keep thinking it would be great if there was a stud in state rb who insisted he wants to sign with a great ol class.

That would be an ideal complement to this ol momentum, wouldn't it?

Oh well. 

Lulz. It definitely seems like a lot of recruits are fairly closely connected and could create a snowball effect. I pretty much never buy the package deal nonsense that gets thrown around every year, but there’s definitely increasing returns in recruiting. For instance, we grabbed Card, Parr and Majors, who all help with Lindbergh. Lindbergh could help with a Evans and Garth might as well since Evans cares about the OL class he comes in with (even though he’ll have minimal overlap with them), so on and so forth. If we can reach a critical mass by getting some guys like Lindbergh, Broughton and a couple other big fish early, then we can build a concensus that Texas is the place to be. Jimbo did a good job of nabbing some big fish early last cycle and uses that to grab a lot of the in-state guys who highly ranked early on. Herman did something similar in 2018 and it seems he realizes he needs to do something similar this year. If Herman can build that consensus early and combine that with our on-field success, and sell the pitch that the 2020 guys have 2 #3 ranked classss ahead of them, so they’ll be playing on a championship-level roster, then 2020 could be an absolutely crazy class that even outshines 2018 and 2019. I’m talking like a 93+ avg rating with 20-23 commits, the likes of which only Bama, UGA, and tOSU have been able to pull off in the last few years. 

It’ll be interesting to see if Herman can get that going or if Jimbo is able to steal a couple big targets, like Broughton or Omeire, and they more or less plot the in-state crop. It seems like usually one school will get the ball rolling and win the battle instead of splitting, and I  think we’re in a great position to do that this year. At the least, Herman and Co have shown with this year’s class they can supplement incredibly well OOS and also evaluate extremely well to grab guys right away who pop in their senior year.

13 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I know absolutely nothing about Elias Ricks but he seems close with Bru. If we get involved I bet we could get a visit. 

Both of his parents went to USC, but he has a lot of extended family in south east Louisiana, which is why they were the default team once USC became a non-option for him. He's been recruiting for LSU. I think Ringo is the more realistic target, but it might be wise to try and jump in on that recruitment to make us the fallback option in the event that he sours on LSU and USC is still not an option. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Machinator said:

I didn't follow the Bryce Young recruitment too closely, but from what I could recall it was Oklahoma who had the real shot at him before USC flexed their (weakening) Mater Dei muscle. I think we were probably a close 3rd but on the outside looking in.

Early on it appeared to be a Texas vs OU battle, since it was assumed that USC would go after Ukelele. But once Ukelele made it clear that he might have his recruitment go the distance, USC took Young for the bird in hand. I think OU might have beaten Texas out, but it's not a given. 

11 hours ago, Machinator said:

Bama offer for Hornsby, though I'm not sure if that recruitment even needs to be tracked on this thread anymore.

They offered Hornsby, Achane, and Helms, all teammates. The first two are big A&M targets, and the third hasn't been offered yet, perhaps due to his ACL injury. Without the injury, he was potentially the top corner in the state, depending on whether or not you think Jones can stick at corner. 

TFB Open Post:https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/01/open-post-weekend-january-25th-27th/

Recruit Reactions From ‘Elite Day’
– Andrew King

Clear Creek (TX) offensive tackle Chad Lindberg

Arguably the top offensive tackle in the 2020 class, Chad Lindberg, was back in Austin on Saturday. I briefly chatted with him following the visit.

The guy Lindberg spent the most time with on the visit was Lake Travis (TX) Texas quarterback commit Hudson Card. Lindberg and his mother actually went to lunch and spent time with Card and his mother before the visit. Lindberg told me having a relationship with other commits is something that will definitely have a factor in his decision. And it’s clear that Lindberg has become Card’s number one priority.

Lindberg also spent some time with the other offensive line recruits, specifically Texas commit Logan Parr and North Shore (TX) offensive tackle Damieon George. Lindberg told me “I’ve known Logan for awhile and I talk to Dameion a lot, so it was cool seeing them.” He also added that the coolest part of the visit was meeting Matthew McConaughey.

Lindberg has two more visits coming up in the next month. LSU on February 2nd and Stanford in late February. He said the schools he has the most interest in right now are Texas, LSU, Stanford, Oklahoma, Georgia, and Clemson. But right now I think it’s a three-team race between Texas, Stanford, and LSU, in that order as of today.

Lindberg isn’t sure when he will make a decision. He’d like to take all five of his official visits in the Spring and have a decision made before the start of his senior season to avoid any “drama”. But he’s not sure if that will happen. He told me Texas will definitely receive an official visit, and the Longhorns only helped themselves with the star offensive tackle this weekend.

Port Neches Groves (TX) offensive tackle Jaylen Garth

Garth was back in Austin this weekend, and he seemed to have a good time. He told me he spent a lot of time with Texas offensive line commit Logan Parr and offensive line targets Chad Lindberg and Jake Majors. Garth said they all have a group chat and have all gotten to know each other, but Saturday was fun because it was the first time they were all together.

Texas has been in a good spot with Garth for awhile. A big reason for that is Texas quarterback Roschon Johnson being his high school teammate and Garth called him a “big brother” figure in his life. The fact that he’s getting close with guys like Parr is only helping Texas’ chances.

Garth told me he’ll likely visit LSU and Texas A&M over the next wave of junior days. And I think those two are Texas’ biggest competition right now.

10 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Just be glad Michelle  the university got him to stop wearing pleats.

let's give credit where it's due. Michelle allowed that shit to fly. You saw those pleats for like the first two weeks after his hire while UT cleaned out his closet. 

42 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

On the IT podcast, Wells said that George told him he was 6’7, 350 lbs, and Wells said he looked to be in that range. 

if those numbers are true or even close to true, that’s not the greatest sign moving forward. Guys who are already 340-350 in their junior year usually struggle with weight later on.

I'm not sure if he'd be a top target if it wasn't for Evans