Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

That and 2018 guys passing older players up. This was the first offseason where we had a lot of good attrition, I.e. older guys who aren’t that good getting passed up and leaving. Hell, even Cam’s transfer was due to sam turning into a great QB. I’d rather Sam developed and we lose Rising than Rising stay because Sam had a bad year and Cam thinks the QB spot is open. 

From here on out, we’ll lose some talented players to transfer but it will be because there’s better players ahead of them, rather than dudes just jumping off a sinking ship/Charlie recruiting guys who can’t make it here.

• Like 2

FYI, they’ve been on Wilson and like their shot if they can get him on campus. 

Also, I agree with the logic earlier from folks around how you get to 23/25 scholarships, but they’re not actively going to be trapdooring people. They like the roster. The other thing is that some teams are going to figure out how to make the transfer portal a competitive advantage. If Texas is one of them, and my guess is they’re going to work the shit out of that thing, they’re going to need scholarship space to add sophomores and juniors. The inherently advantaged blue bloods like Texas, USC, Michigan and their ilk, if they have their shit together, will be drafting in guys that are kicking ass at smaller schools and looking to upgrade. Something new to consider in all of this. 

• Like 9

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=CA

Milton is visiting 2/23, so decent shot there. 

Texas is in Milton's top 5, decent shot. 

Flowe has been quiet, but the staff offered his brother for a reason. 

I think Ricks is pretty solid to LSU. I believe he's from there originally and has family in the area. 

DJ is going to Clemson. 

I think Helton is f***ed. It'll only get worse from here. Chip Kelley is about as interested in recruiting as Mike Leach. Southern California is wide open right now. Oregon is probably our toughest competitor in Southern California right now. 

Side note: I'd bet Helton's buyout is much higher than it's being reported. I assume it's north of $20 million, if not $30 million. Swann is one of the most incompetent AD's in the history of college athletics. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

34 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Side note: I'd bet Helton's buyout is much higher than it's being reported. I assume it's north of $20 million, if not $30 million. Swann is one of the most incompetent AD's in the history of college athletics. 

Who would you hire: Steve Patterson and Lynn Swann?

Edited by derp
drinking

48 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

FYI, they’ve been on Wilson and like their shot if they can get him on campus. 

Also, I agree with the logic earlier from folks around how you get to 23/25 scholarships, but they’re not actively going to be trapdooring people. They like the roster. The other thing is that some teams are going to figure out how to make the transfer portal a competitive advantage. If Texas is one of them, and my guess is they’re going to work the shit out of that thing, they’re going to need scholarship space to add sophomores and juniors. The inherently advantaged blue bloods like Texas, USC, Michigan and their ilk, if they have their shit together, will be drafting in guys that are kicking ass at smaller schools and looking to upgrade. Something new to consider in all of this. 

Tidbit on Wilson sounds like the same thing that was said about Marcus Washington. So let's hope it works out the same way. 

Also, everyone talks about Bru and Floyd boosting the Cali pipeline, but let's not forget Adimora. I know he doesn't have the clout or public personality of Bru and DGF, but hopefully he can also be a positive influence of some kind. 

2 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Tidbit on Wilson sounds like the same thing that was said about Marcus Washington. So let's hope it works out the same way. 

Also, everyone talks about Bru and Floyd boosting the Cali pipeline, but let's not forget Adimora. I know he doesn't have the clout or public personality of Bru and DGF, but hopefully he can also be a positive influence of some kind. 

Every little bit helps.  Mater Dei is football royalty, and Westlake (definitely parallels with our own Westlake in Austin obviously) is one of the top high schools in the state and it's a Valley school.  Mayfair (Adimora's school) is no slouch with some of their academics, but it's in a very different part of L.A. and having some diversity from the region helps with specific kids that grew up there, etc.

• Like 1

IT

I had my 'holy s***, Bru really happened' moment on Saturday. Malikmas will never be topped for own personal satisfaction, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a positive story-line develop out of thin air like that.

I think Bru, even more so than De'Gabriel Floyd, will have a positive impact recruiting kids to Texas. I say that because he was a USC kid through and through who discovered UT offers all the same things, just add winning. Floyd I view more mercenary, it's just UT made the most sense to him and he knew it early on. Together they could represent a seismic shift with fault lines running up and down the West Coast.

You know times are wild when an interview with Sav'ell Smalls is shelved for a few days. The Garfield, WA, five-star was generous with his time last week. He also made time for Christian McCollum of Irish Sports Daily. Christian and I were both going to talk to him so we wanted to see what Smalls would tell both of us about each school.

Christian, with hints of surprise said, "He spoke really highly of Texas."

Here's what Smalls told our friend: “I really like the direction the program is going at Texas. This is Coach Herman’s second year. Beating Georgia in the bowl game, and Georgia is a team that should have been in the College Football Playoff in my opinion, that was impressive. He’s gone there so fast with a lot of criticisms, a lot of pressure and the way he turned around the culture of the program and got them on an upward trajectory, it’s really impressive. And, I heard Austin is a great place to live and they have a great education, so that’s a school I definitely want to check out.”

He basically told me the same thing and there was some enthusiasm in his voice. Here's how it went after some pleasantries.

IT: Do you have any family or close friends attending college elsewhere? Did any family members play college ball anywhere?
SS: My uncle Jesse played college basketball at a DII and then transferred to U-Dub but just for education. My mom played a lot of sports and was a tomboy but she didn't play anywhere.

IT: I only ask because athleticism like yours rarely comes out of nowhere. With schools far and wide recruit you, are you the type to want to get away from home, stay close, or it doesn't matter and you'll go to the best fit?
SS: It'll be the best fit regardless of where it's at. Where are they going to develop me as a player and person and academically. It could be close or it could be far, but I'm going to try and take as many visits as possible to get an idea.

IT: What would you like to study.
SS: Business.

IT: Have you talked to UT about their business school?
SS: Not really, but I'm sure I will when I visit.

IT: What did you think about the Sugar Bowl? What stood out?
SS: Yeah I did. Georgia should have been in the playoffs, so, I mean Georgia came out a little flat but Texas took it and played SEC ball and topped them. It's impressive what Herman has done in just two years, he's really changed that whole culture.

IT: How often do you talk to Texas?
SS: Well, they'll be by today. But it depends, my guy (Brian) Carrington, we talk on Snapchat or Twitter. We chop it up a little bit.

IT: What will your spring look like. Will Texas for sure get a visit?
SS: I'm going to visit a whole bunch of schools. There's a few schools I know for sure I want to go to like Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Wazzu. I definitely want to get out to Texas. Georgia. I really want to take as many as I can to decide where I'm going to take my fall officials.

IT: Are you planning to sign on the first signing day? Do you want to be an early enrollee?
SS: Yes, I'll sign early and I am trying to be an early enrollee.

IT: It's a pretty good year for Washington with prospects, are you friends with the other top guys?
SS: Yes I am. We're all cool whether it's from football or basketball.

Later in the day I checked back in with Smalls to see how his visit with Texas went. Todd Orlando made the trip to the Pacific Northwest. "It was good, they just want to get me down there so I can see it for myself."

I mentioned Washington having a fine in-state class, relatively speaking. UT has four total offers out in the state. That's more than in East Texas.

206 to 425

Figuring Orlando would also go by Eastside Catholic in Sammamish to see teammates DJ Rogers and Sam Adams II, I hit them up. My suspicions were correct.

Adams is the son of the Aggie great but he's never been to College Station. He will make that trip in February, however, and he'll also visit UT. He reminds of Makiya Tongue from the 2019 cycle in that he's an out-of-state player, son of a good NFL pro, and best projects to defense despite playing offense in high school. Adams seems pretty open.

Texas has been pretty quiet on the tight end front in the class. It seems the instate crop will once again necessitate the staff look outside the borders. Rogers would be a fantastic get if they can pull it off. He says he stays in contact with Texas, mentioned they stopped by recently, and he plans on visiting.

Eastside Catholic is also home to defensive tackle J.T. Tuimoloau, the nation's top player in the class of 2021 according to 247. He holds an offer but I haven't been in contact with him yet.

A COUPLE RANDOM NOTES

DL DeSanton Rollins, Trinity Episcopal Day School (Natchez, MS) - 2020: My suspicion is the staff is making a bet he blows up his senior tape. There's some baseline goodness going on there but he isn't a Texas guy yet. He says he speaks frequently with Oscar Giles and that he's been invited to Junior Day as well as the Spring Game. Along with UT, he hears from LSU, and smaller regional programs the most. He says he's always liked UT, though he didn't grow up with a favorite, and he's already noticed the "AMAZING" fan base.

LB Brennon Scott, Bishop Dunne (Dallas, TX) - 2020: I checked on the recent development of A&M not recruiting him hard and that is indeed the case. Alrighty then. Put your prediction on UT, imo. Jimbo must have something up his sleeve at the position.

JAKE MAJORS

On why the Prosper offensive lineman committed to Texas:

"I truly didn’t see myself anywhere else and it is close to home. I’m born and raised in Texas so I’m going to keep it that way." (Hook'Em emoji)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

DL DeSanton Rollins, Trinity Episcopal Day School (Natchez, MS) - 2020: My suspicion is the staff is making a bet he blows up his senior tape. There's some baseline goodness going on there but he isn't a Texas guy yet. He says he speaks frequently with Oscar Giles and that he's been invited to Junior Day as well as the Spring Game. Along with UT, he hears from LSU, and smaller regional programs the most. He says he's always liked UT, though he didn't grow up with a favorite, and he's already noticed the "AMAZING" fan base.

Have a friend on the USM staff, this kid is legit and not only plays both Off/Def but is on the basketball team as well (sounds a lot like T. Sweat). Not sure what the 2020 DT board looks like but he's set to come to Austin for both JR days so ... 

JAKE MAJORS

On why the Prosper offensive lineman committed to Texas:

"I truly didn’t see myself anywhere else and it is close to home. I’m born and raised in Texas so I’m going to keep it that way." (Hook'Em emoji)

I absolutely LOVE seeing this level of State Pride from a Kid. 

🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻

• Like 2

My best friend is a HS coach in Seattle.  I saw Smalls play in September.  Physically, Smalls looks like an NFL player who wandered into a HS game.  But he doesn't play that hard, and IIRC, he actually took himself out of that game for most of the 3rdQ-4thQ and sat on the bench.  He actually seemed more energized when they put him in at WR and threw the ball to him -- it was comical watching the other team trying to tackle him.   We saw Eastside Catholic the night before.  That team was so ridiculously loaded that it was hard to figure out how good Adams is -- they have two big-time recruits at WR and the TE is a complete stud, so the opponent wasn't exactly stacking the box to stop Adams.  If we're recruiting that TE, he's the one I'd rather have.  

Running through our main competition for the priority targets:

Card: commit

Evans: damn near everyone, probably big-time SEC programs near the top

McGowan: Stanford

McClellan: OU

Jordan: unclear, OU maybe?

Garth: A&M or Bama, I guess. I think we're way ahead on this one.

Majors: commit

Parr: commit

George: whoever Evans is interested in, probably any top SEC program

Lindberg: Stanford

Demas: A&M, with Bama lurking

Omeire: A&M

Cooper: Unclear, he's taking visits to various places this spring

Dixon: lol. He's a Longhorn assuming we take him.

Collins: A&M

Dorbah: OU

Broughton: Bama if they push, other top SEC programs

Princely: OU

Scott: OU

Jackson: damn near everyone

Ringo: tOSU, Washington, Bama, maybe LSU or Georgia

Thompson: A&M, maybe Clemson? Also going to be a national recruitment.

Snow: Stanford (?)

Jaylon Jones: A&M, Florida

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Running through our main competition for the priority targets:

Card: CTJ pulling strings to rescind his offer and take literally anyone else.

Evans: damn near everyone, probably big-time SEC programs near the top, also A&M.

Jordan: unclear, OU and A&M.

Garth: A&M or Bama, I guess. I think we're way ahead on this one.

Majors: commit

Parr: commit

George: whoever Evans is interested in, probably any top SEC program, again, you forgot A&M.

Lindberg: Stanford, the entire Little Family.

Demas: A&M, with Bama lurking

Omeire: A&M

Cooper: literally everyone.

Dixon: lol. He's a Longhorn assuming we take him.

Collins: A&M

Dorbah: OU

Broughton: Bama if they push, other top SEC programs, ok. This is the third time, Mach. Also, A&M.

Princely: OU

Scott: OU

Jackson: damn near everyone

Ringo: OSU, Washington, Bama, maybe LSU or Georgia. Literally everyone.

Thompson: A&M, maybe Clemson? Also going to be a national recruitment.

Snow: Stanford (?)

Jaylon Jones: A&M, Florida

Added a couple. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Actually, Perroni said today that Broughton doesn't like A&M much.

A&M hasn't even offered Ty Jordan.

Until today, I thought A&M would be a major player for Broughton, so I thought you were being serious. My bad. Blame it on the germanic blood or something.

Edited by Machinator

Greg Biggins article on Johnny Wilson: https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Oregon-Washington-Ohio-State-Texas-and-UCLA-make-the-cut-for-wide-receiver-Johnny-Wilson--128412487/

Calabasas (Calif.) wide out Johnny Wilson makes a change in his new top five.

Wilson is one of the elite prospects in the 2020 class and is currently rated the No. 18 player nationally in the 247Sports Composite. At 6-5, 215 pounds, he's a jumbo receiver with the speed to make plays down the field. He has strong hands, excellent body control and is very tough in jump ball situations.

Back in July, Wilson announced a top six that included Washington, Fresno State, Michigan, Oregon, USC and Northwestern. Sunday night, Wilson updated his list of schools with a new top five.

The schools who made the cut this time around included Oregon and Washington along with new additions in Ohio State, Texas and UCLA. Oregon has been on Wilson hard and has a connection in former teammate Mycah Pittman, who just signed and early enrolled in Eugene.

Washington is another holdover and has done a good job recruiting Wilson, led by OC/QB coach  Bush Hamdan. The Huskies recently hired Junior Adams as their new WR coach and he’ll need to make a quick connection with Wilson to stay in this race.

Texas and Ohio State both just offered Wilson in December but are definitely in the mix. Wilson has family in the Ohio area and Texas made a huge impact in the SoCal region this year landing three players including Bru McCoy, who they just flipped from USC a week ago.

UCLA was the first school to offer Wilson back when he was just a freshman and the Bruins have picked up their interest in the talented wide out in recent months to crack his list.

At this point in his recruitment, it’s still very early for Wilson and UCLA and Washington are the only schools on the list that he has visited. Look for him to check out Ohio State, Oregon and Texas this spring and summer and we would expect he would make it back to UCLA and Washington as well.

Don’t expect an early decision from Wilson as he has been consistent in saying he wants to take his official visits in the fall and then announce later in the year. We know Wilson has no reservation's about leaving home and we think he's wide open among the five schools who made the list.

• Like 1