Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Snow is a linebacker that thinks he's a safety. Anyone taking him is doing that dance with him and I'm curious to see how important he is for UT with that in mind. I definitely think Washington outranks him in their order of priority. 

CP3 is probably this year's Bru McCoy even he profiles in college as a CB. I wonder how real his desire to get snaps on both sides of the ball is? It will be interesting to see how real the mutual interest is with him, because he looks like an absolute stud.

20 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Dream class

QB Hudson Card

RB Zach Evans, Ty Jordan

WR Bobby Wilson, Troy Omiere and Kelvontay Dixon

TE 

OL Jaylen Garth, Jake Majors, Logan Parr, Chad Lindberg and Damien George. 

DL Vernon Broughton, Alfred Collins, Princely and Prince Dorbah. 

LB Brendon Scott, Michael Henderson, Ja’Quinden Jackson

S Chris Thompson, Darius Snow

CB Kelee Ringo, Clark Phillips

That is 23 maybe a second qb. 

Anyone else want to throw stuff at the wall in regards to early picks for the class.

i realize this is not realistic based on numbers we have heard and what’s on the team

Gotta have Cooper in a dream class. Also need to have Jaylen Jones for NB. 

I’d take a look at a 2nd QB for this class. Young is obvious given his relationship with Bru. I’d also look at in-state prospects Deuce Hogan and Haynes King. King may be my favorite under the radar QB prospect at the moment. Looked great in the 6A championship game.

Edited by Henry Hill

Just now, Henry Hill said:

I’d take a look at 2nd QB for this class. Young is obvious given his relationship with Bru. I’d also look at in-state prospects Deuce Hogan and Haynes King. King may be my favorite under the radar QB prospect at the moment. Looked great in the 6A championship game.

King isn't very interested in Texas at the moment

NSIAP ::

National top 150 player reaches out to Texas - Per EJ :: 

Four-star North Carolina WR Mike Wyman randomly followed me on Twitter and told me that he has reached out to Texas WRs coach Drew Mehringer. Apparently he has family in the state and has high interest. He's a national Top 150 recruit, so one to keep an eye on.

https://247sports.com/Player/Mike-Wyman-46037192/

NSIAP ::
National top 150 player reaches out to Texas - Per EJ :: 
Four-star North Carolina WR Mike Wyman randomly followed me on Twitter and told me that he has reached out to Texas WRs coach Drew Mehringer. Apparently he has family in the state and has high interest. He's a national Top 150 recruit, so one to keep an eye on.
https://247sports.com/Player/Mike-Wyman-46037192/

Do we know if Chapel Hill is lit yet or no? Will be a key question unless we come strong with an edit to tweet at the kid.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Dream class

QB Hudson Card

RB Zach Evans, Ty Jordan

TE 

Anyone else want to throw stuff at the wall in regards to early picks for the class.

i realize this is not realistic based on numbers we have heard and what’s on the team

a dream class would include a massive road-grading TE who can stretch the field and catch passes on third down.  other than that it’s an ok list. 

1 hour ago, Henry Hill said:

I’d take a look at a 2nd QB for this class. Young is obvious given his relationship with Bru. I’d also look at in-state prospects Deuce Hogan and Haynes King. King may be my favorite under the radar QB prospect at the moment. Looked great in the 6A championship game.

Story on how guy ended up with name of "Deuce"?

(Surly gonna have fun with this.....)

Edited by LTtxfan

E.J. Holland: UT QB pledge Hudson Card on recent visit, recruiting others to Austin

The leader of the 2020 Texas class was recently on campus. Four-star quarterback commit Hudson Card made his way to the Forty Acres a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed his time at his future home. “It was a great time,” Card said. “Matthew McConaughey talked to us, which was cool. The basketball game was fun as well and even better that we came out with the win.”

Card committed to Texas back in May over offers from Alabama, Auburn, Baylor, Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, TCU, Texas A&M and several other major programs. The local product from Lake Travis has remained completely solid with his pledge. A big reason for that is his relationship with the Texas coaching staff. “My relationships great with both Coach (Tim) Beck and Coach (Tom) Herman,” Card said. “I think my style of play fits in their system well, and I’m excited to play for them.”

With his decision out of the way, Card has been focused on recruiting other to Austin. And he spent plenty of time with key 2020 targets during his time on campus. “I went to lunch with Chad (Lindberg) and his mom with my parents and then Pluckers with Zach (Evans) and Damieon (George) later that day,” Card said. “My pitch was Austin is obviously a great city to live in with lots of things to do. Texas is on its way back up top and to be a part of that would be special.”

Card plans to visit Texas again soon. At 6-foot-2, 167 pounds, Card is ranked as the No. 3 dual-threat quarterback and No. 103 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Dream class

QB Hudson Card

RB Zach Evans, Ty Jordan

TE 

tumblr_lzank1PTFr1qaa97co1_500.gif

IT

I caught up with my boy Andrew Spivey at Gator Country to get his thoughts on some guys in the Southeast region who hold Texas offers. We haven't heard much about or discussed some of them, but one never truly knows who the staff is working on behind the scenes.

Here's what Spivey had to say:

WR Leonard Manuel, Vanguard (Ocala, FL): One of the best players that I've
seen in the state for 2020. His recruitment will have twists when he
takes visits but I feel good on saying that Florida keeps him. Now can
he qualify is the question.

OL Jalen Rivers, Oakleaf (Orange Park, FL): UF, UM (Miami) and UGA are all battling
but most think this will come down to UF/UM. Very good player that could
play year-one.

OL Jake Wray, Marietta (Marietta, GA): Ohio State is pretty much out for him
but Alabama and Georgia are the ones to watch. Tennessee is also in the
mix because he's from there.

DE Chantz Williams, Oakleaf (Orange Park, FL): Like Rivers, this is a UF/UM
battle most likely.

LB Derek Wingo, St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, FL): Penn State will be
tough to beat because of his relationship with Ja'Juan Seider who is from
South Florida.

CB Fred Davis II, Trinity Christian (Jacksonville, FL): Overrated and not a
five-star but Ohio State is the one to watch because his 7-on-7 coach is
close with those guys at Ohio State. Florida and Miami are also really
in the mix. Your DB coach just visited him.

CB Jahquez Robinson, Sandalwood (Jacksonville, FL): Throw the rankings out
the door here, Robinson is a stud and will have every offer in the book.
He visits Florida this weekend and they're his dream school but I doubt
he makes any decision until he takes visits.

ATH Jovan Ferguson, St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, FL): Good but not
great player, Miami is trying to keep him home.

ATH Xavier Restrepo, St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, FL): Not that good 
of a player but gets the St. Thomas boost, he loves Kentucky and Miami
early on.

Hmmm, seems competitive down there.

Texas has also offered T Lee and Seth Mclaughlin, both from Buford, GA., who we've discussed recently.

I caught up with the newly offered Jahquez Robinson myself to gauge his level of interest. Man on fire, he picked up Alabama, OU, and Tennessee yesterday alone.

The 6-foot-2, 180 pound corner said this about a possible visit: "Yes sir I will definitely try my best to get out there, if not definitely for an official."

That aligns with Spivey saying Robinson would be in no hurry. Robinson will see Florida this weekend followed by Miami.

One of the earliest offers in the 2020 class went to Joel Williams from Madison Prep in Baton Rouge -- the same school Malcolm Roach played and his father coaches.

I loved the offer then and still do and struggle to see how he's a 90 on 247. He says he still has some contact with Texas and wants to visit this spring. We'll see, but it doesn't sound like the staff is going all in here. They would of course have all the information they need here.

Moving out west, I checked in with California's Clark Phillips and Arizona's Lathan Ransom.

Phillips, from La Habra, makes everyone else on the field look like they're from the La Brea Tar Pits. Known as a defensive back, his offensive junior tape is pretty filthy. With him wearing #21, I'm guessing somebody will sell him on playing both ways in college. He's the nation's #59 composite player and he picked up a Texas offer on Tuesday.

He told me he knows both De'Gabriel Floyd and Chris Adimora but isn't close to either. He "will definitely make a visit" but doesn't know when yet.

Other schools he wants to visit, "Ohio State, ND, OU, UW, Cal. Few others too."

Clark could project to corner or nickel depending on where his body goes. He probably has the width and density to hold up at nickel. He's currently listed at 5-foot-10 and a shade under 180 but he'll be pretty thickly built with lack of height possibly helping him a la Quandre Diggs. He would bring exceptional coverage skills to nickel if that's where he's destined.

Ransom is a 6-foot-2, 185 pound safety from Salpointe Catholic in Tucson with easy film to like. It shows a number of things: playing physically, fluidly, returning punts, using his eyes, up on the line, playing the run from deep, etc.

A&M and Tennessee offered Tuesday and Texas may be next. "They're showing a lot of interest. I was on the phone with him (Craig Naivar) for quite a while last night."

I think someone said both of his parents were Arizona grads. I asked him if his parents went to Arizona and he replied, "My dad is from California. And my mom was born here but has lived in multiple different states. And they are willing to have me play anywhere in the country." I kind of got my answer even with some slight miscommunication.

He's an interesting player and it does raise an eyebrow that UT is looking out-of-state with instate options, but casting a wider net protects you from the unforeseen.

Back in Texas, Tom Herman swung by Duncanville among many other stops. Duncanville is home to Chris Thompson, Ja'Quinden Jackson and many other future stars.

Thompson missed Elite Day so I wanted to get the latest on where he stands. Some A&M writers have expressed mild optimism in that recruitment but it's hard to sometimes with that lot. Sometimes it's Moro Ojomo who had zero interest in A&M, others it's DeMarvin Leal.

Said Chris Thompson Sr.: "Nothing set in stone. Will possibly make LSU jr day this month. Looking to visit Notre Dame and Stanford in the next few months. He is wide open and would like to make a decision before the season starts...that’s the plan anyway."

That summer timeline aligns with what I've heard all along from someone who has been optimistic about UT's chances all along.

I believe do-it-all athlete Ja'Quinden Jackson will be on a similar timeline with UT still the team to beat.

Ishmael Ibraheem is a name to file away. The loose-hipped with length and speed, the 2021 was paid a visit by Jason Washington a week or two ago. Dallas Kimball has put out a whole lot lately but Ibraheem has the look of a big-timer because of the way he moves.

He said he loved Coach Wash's energy when they met and that he's going to visit this spring. Other schools showing interest: TCU, Arkansas, Nebraska, TexasA&M, Notre Dame, and SMU. Solid start.

17 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Snow is a linebacker that thinks he's a safety. Anyone taking him is doing that dance with him and I'm curious to see how important he is for UT with that in mind. I definitely think Washington outranks him in their order of priority.

I've said this multiple times over the last month.  Not bagging on the kid, but he has outgrown being a safety.  His HS didn't even use him in that spot, even though that's what they called him.  He plays downhill and loves to hit.  For his sake, the sooner he comes to grip with the fact that he's a LB, the better.  Hell, go to his Twitter and look at the tweet where he compares himself to Jamal Adams.  The play that he posts where he's in coverage, he was beaten by at least 20 yards, the receiver just dropped the ball.

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah, I think it would be a surprise if he wasn't a 2020 Longhorn signee.

2 hours ago, thepop said:

I think we get Mookie regardless.

We're probably the favorite for both, but there's a long way to go for both of these guys, and taking the field over us at this point is probably the better bet for both 

• Like 1