Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Recruiting was Mack’s strength, but he imposed self barriers that Herman simply does not.  He rarely recruited Jucos even when there were gaping holes and Stoops was cleaning up on them. He wouldn’t recruit players that had committed to another school until very late in his tenure.  He wouldn’t battle for top OOS players for fear that it would hurt his offer to commit ratio. And any out-of-state player had to basically self-recruit themselves and show up to get an offer.  Williams winning a heisman was wasted in Ca. 

I worry that we will always struggle for RBs and DL with the current coaching staff, but so did Brown. Giles always is gunna Giles. But I like Herman’s chances. 

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

The staff has passed on at least one quality RB grad transfer target. Either they feel confident they can find someone better after the post spring depth chart roster exodus across the country, or they feel good about Kirk Johnson and Whittington as potential volume backs next year 

I don't understand why everyone here seems to discount Danny Young. The kid has logged important snaps in each of his first 2 years. He isn't a game breaker, but he does everything well enough and can get you first downs.  15 carries by Ingram, 10 by Whittington, 5 by Young, and you are at 30 carries before Sam ever gets involved in the run game. And that is if we don't pick up a GT back. Injuries are the only major threat to what should be a decent stable of backs next year. I would feel much much better with Brown being a viable option for next year, but we should survive.  

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Was it the dude out of Oregon? If so, that was related to the belief that he's a chronic underachiever with the attitude to go with it. If not him, then don't be a dickhead and tell us.

The South Carolina guy. Although maybe I'm premature in saying they're passing on him, because they could always circle back, but I figure they would have made contact by now if there was interest 

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

I don't understand why everyone here seems to discount Danny Young. The kid has logged important snaps in each of his first 2 years. He isn't a game breaker, but he does everything well enough and can get you first downs.  15 carries by Ingram, 10 by Whittington, 5 by Young, and you are at 30 carries before Sam ever gets involved in the run game. And that is if we don't pick up a GT back. Injuries are the only major threat to what should be a decent stable of backs next year. I would feel much much better with Brown being a viable option for next year, but we should survive.  

My concern is more about when the injury bug hits that position room than when we're at full strength. 

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Feaster would have to actively dismiss the premise of pursuing another title in his home state with what he considers his family. I've mentioned him because he has some random ties that would make Texas a fit, but we'd have to make promises and he'd have to have more than passing interest in looking around. Just giving color here.

No Feaster?  Famine!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

He runs like a fullback and absorbs contact, often times getting up-ended. He seems like a short yardage guy with very little wiggle.  Nice player, but imo, not an every down back. 

3 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Sam Ehlinger (and then Casey Thompson) will be the likely recipient of any additional carries we need. I think last season was one of the few in Herman's career as an HC or OC where the QB wasn't one of the top 2 rushers in yards. Sam was #2 in carries though.

Considering what just happened to our QB room,  if you think that the staff wouldn't love to cut down on the QB runs and be ably to rely more on more traditional running back carries then I dont know what to tell you. Considering Sam is going to Sam on the called options, or when shit breaks down, I'm guessing the staff would love to eliminate all designed QB runs that AREN'T options if they could. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Considering what just happened to our QB room,  if you think that the staff wouldn't love to cut down on the QB runs and be ably to rely more on more traditional running back carries then I dont know what to tell you. Considering Sam is going to Sam on the called options, or when shit breaks down, I'm guessing the staff would love to eliminate all designed QB runs that AREN'T options if they could. 

Unfortunately, with the skillset of our RBs right now (with the exception of Danny Young), it's way more likely that we have to use our QB as our inside runner and our RBs as our outside threats.

He's almost definitely not going to go to Alcorn State, but I can see why a back of Evan's stature might want to. You get plenty of opportunity to develop without the likelihood of a lot of wear and tear before you leave early for the NFL... it could extend his career by a year or two. I won't be surprised if a few highly ranked RBs start taking the smaller college route at some point.

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Keontay Ingram is surprisingly physical for his size between the tackles. Granted, not sure they want him taking that abuse. 

Keontay's comments after the Sugar Bowl win indicate that he knows he needs to add some bulk and will dedicate his offseason efforts toward that.  But yeah, even a bigger, stronger Ingram doesn't need a ton of carriers between the tackles with our precarious RB depth. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

He's almost definitely not going to go to Alcorn State, but I can see why a back of Evan's stature might want to. You get plenty of opportunity to develop without the likelihood of a lot of wear and tear before you leave early for the NFL... it could extend his career by a year or two. I won't be surprised if a few highly ranked RBs start taking the smaller college route at some point.

I don't think I agree with this.  He would get like 60 carries a game at Alcorn State.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

This makes zero sense.

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I don't think I agree with this.  He would get like 60 carries a game at Alcorn State.

Exactly.

Just now, Katfid54 said:

I know nothing about Alcorn's offense, but I can see a scenario where he pretty much dictates to a small college program what he would be willing to do in order to go there. I know if I were mentoring a kid whose NFL aspirations were more important to him than any college goals, I would explore all options. Even some that seem ridiculous at face value.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

At this point, we should count Whittington as a RB in the class 

I for one am a big fan of JWhitt at RB. Let's get our best players on the field at the same time. 

Plus it allows to go in to an empty set without subs and not suffer by having a RB at an outside receiver spot. Remember that series of plays we ran with Tre Watson motioning out of the backfield against TCU? I'd love to see that set again with JWhitt having the ability to run the full route tree in Tre's spot. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I know nothing about Alcorn's offense, but I can see a scenario where he pretty much dictates to a small college program what he would be willing to do in order to go there. I know if I were mentoring a kid whose NFL aspirations were more important to him than any college goals, I would explore all options. Even some that seem ridiculous at face value.

Like the scenario you're proposing?

Just now, Bodacious Bevo said:

I for one am a big fan of JWhitt at RB. Let's get our best players on the field at the same time. 

Plus it allows to go in to an empty set without subs and not suffer by having a RB at an outside receiver spot. Remember that series of plays we ran with Tre Watson motioning out of the backfield against TCU? I'd love to see that set again with JWhitt having the ability to run the full route tree in Tre's spot. 

Exactly.  Use Jordan as an Alvin Kamara.  He can do those wheel routes.  Get Whittington and J.Smith on the field at the same time. Day 1.

Edit: I will also note that our screen pass game looked pretty good vs. Georgia.  More of that.

Edited by Scholz
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

McGowan would be a terrific backup plan. He's a really good back who's just being overshadowed by the two five-stars.

No doubt and with need for backs I wish Texas was more involved. It looks like Evans and a swing at Milton(either him or Evans mentioned playing together in some interview) or the recent offers in Georgia and Arizona.

2 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

No doubt and with need for backs I wish Texas was more involved. It looks like Evans and a swing at Milton(either him or Evans mentioned playing together in some interview) or the recent offers in Georgia and Arizona. 

And a swing at McClellan 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Feaster would have to actively dismiss the premise of pursuing another title in his home state with what he considers his family. I've mentioned him because he has some random ties that would make Texas a fit, but we'd have to make promises and he'd have to have more than passing interest in looking around. Just giving color here.

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, tittiesandbeer said:

Scroll down the response tweets. Aggies show their stands and Johnny Manziel while Washington fans post amusing pictures of huskies and other stuff. It's worth a look.

Humorless Aggies share their perceived wonderfulness as a sure fire draw. They think everybody still cares about or follows Johnny Football the GOAT!

I don't think any fan should tweet at a recruit. If you're compelled to do so, tweeting something entertaining or ironic is way better than, "look at us! you will love our school! wait 'til you see our traditions! WHOOOOOOOP! Horns down!" 

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I remember thinking during the Maryland game that if we replaced Kyle Porter with Jordan Whittington that it could work.  Then I watched Kyle Porter do Kyle Porter things and we lost.

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm perfectly comfortable, and often happy to criticize Herman. But Tom Herman isn't/can't take a personal hand in EVERY recruitment. It's not realistic and it's not going to happen. Therefore, if I'm Tom Herman, and my "rainmaking" RB coach is sitting there telling me that we 100% are getting one of Sanders, or Cain, or the Stevenson...well, ok. What's he supposed to do with that? "You know what, fuck that, lets get on this glass kid that none of us really like." There is such a thing as the guy being fed bad information from his lieutenants. Do I know this was the case specifically with RBs, Herman, and Drayton last cycle? No, I'm speculating. And yes, if I'm correct that would be all the more reason for Herman to re-calibrate his recruiting staff and make changes to process or personnel. And that is definitely on him. 

What I do know is that Oscar Giles tells people he's getting all his top targets all the fucking time, and we all know how that seems to work out for us. That's why I cringe when I hear that Herman is going to let Giles out on the trail without his hand being held for Collins. Because who could fuck possibly up that recruitment? Well, I guess we are going to find out.

I like the discussion of the need for Herman to keep evaluating his recruiting process and results.  Always room to get better and adapt to a rapidly changing environment.  Recruiting is part of the lifeblood of a successful CFB program.

50 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

It seems pretty clear that the strategy is Evans or bust. We get him, everyone will be happy. If we don't we're fucked and Drayton's gotta go.

With Brown's health issues (prayers DB), Texas will probably have to add two RBs in 2020 Class right??

Edited by LTtxfan

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

With Brown's health issues (prayers DB), Texas will probably have to add two RBs in 2020 Class right??

The question is now, should we try and squeeze three in? Maybe have Kelvontay Dixon work some at RB?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

It seems pretty clear that the strategy is Evans or bust. We get him, everyone will be happy. If we don't we're fucked and Drayton's gotta go.

Or we could do a better job w/ pro-actively maintaining realistic fallbacks this go-around. Ty Jordan's recruitment will be interesting to watch this cycle.

• Like 1

Just now, satyanash said:

Or we could do a better job w/ pro-actively maintaining realistic fallbacks this go-around. Ty Jordan's recruitment will be interesting to watch this cycle.

Jordan is squarely in the RB2 slot. Evans' contemporaries for our purposes right now are Milton, McClellan, Robinson, etc.