Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

How many coaching vacancies do you think Texas has right now, out of curiousity?

4 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Your mom has a vacancy. Step right up guys.  

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Of course you wont answer. Did you finally realize that the answer is 0, and therefore there is no reason to, paraphrase you, “get your hopes up about a dfw recruiting rainmaker currently doing nothing.” No one left the staff dipshit. But please explain to us how wareheim taking over special teams and naivar focusing more on defense means we are hiring an 11th coach despite ncaa restrictions. 

You gonna take that shit, NorLa??? You gotta come back at him with something... Don’t take that lying down. This has been some of the best entertainment all day!

So now that the 2019 classes are finished across the nation, anyone care to make some predictions for 2020 on this thread? 

Top 5 for 2020:

(in no order)

Bama, Georgia, Texas, Ohio State, Clemson

Surprise Class on the positive? North Carolina - it's deep in-state and Mack Brown has a good recruiting staff. On top of that he's energized and hitting the area hard already. 

Surprise Class on the negative? Michigan - In spite of everything with Meyer, I still think Harbaugh's staff turnover and personal flaws are going to limit Michigan ascending.

OU rank: Top 10 with more Mackovickian lopsided offensive talent vs defensive talent.

ATM rank: Top 15 with smaller numbers and less new car smell.

Total number in Texas' class: 24 - I've been passing on the premise of less than 20 and I can't make the numbers believable to myself at this point. Hudson and Brown not being in the program makes the starting point something like 19 available scholarships, so losing another 5 for various reasons over the next 18 months seems not just logical but probable. Of course, if they're viewing the transfer portal as a place where they're going to add 2-3 guys each year that have multiple years of eligibility left, then that might continue to push numbers below 25 if the program remains stable.

Here’s Connelly’s weighted ranks for the last 4 years’ recruiting classes. He does some weird shit with how comes up with the weighted scores, because he’s using that score as an input for new talent to factor into next year’s S&P+ rankings, but the interesting part is the 2 year and 4 year ranks for recruiting.

UT is 3rd in 2 year and 9th in 4 year. A&M is 8th in 4 year and OU is 4th. Regarding the Big 12, the next closest team is TCU at 30th, which goes to show why the Big 12 appears to be only a two-team race next year (now that UT has a competent coach). 

It would be interesting to create a ranking system that weighs recruiting classes based on time in the program to show the overall talent of a program. You’d probably weigh the last 4 classes something like this:

4th year: 25

3rd year: 35

2nd year: 25 

1st year: 15

maybe at some point I’ll do this for the top 10 teams and a couple other Big 12 teams, but it sounds like a tedious process so I’d have to get pretty bored in the offseason.

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

A month later and that still seems like it might actually be the worst call in the history of football. Certainly the worst fake kick decision. Would have been immeasurably better to simply line up and go for it.

I think Saban has a fetish for dumbfuck special teams fake decisions. I remember him attempting a really fuckin dumb fake punt against us in the beginning of the game that shall not be named

2 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

I think Saban has a fetish for dumbfuck special teams fake decisions. I remember him attempting a really fuckin dumb fake punt against us in the beginning of the game that shall not be named

The onside kick against Clemson in the 2016 national title game was incredibly clever though. Special teams trickery always looks dumb when it doesn't succeed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The onside kick against Clemson in the 2016 national title game was incredibly clever though. Special teams trickery always looks dumb when it doesn't succeed.

Agreed, that's what made this one especially bad, though. Clemson was clearly expecting it and lined up to defend a fake and they still ran their holder with their kicker as a lead "blocker." Just terrible. 

Fakes that don't work look bad enough when the other team's special teams unit stops it from a normal alignment. 

Edited by Huckleberry

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

So now that the 2019 classes are finished across the nation, anyone care to make some predictions for 2020 on this thread? 

Top 5 for 2020:

(in no order)

Surprise Class on the positive? North Carolina - it's deep in-state and Mack Brown has a good recruiting staff. On top of that he's energized and hitting the area hard already. 

Surprise Class on the negative? Michigan - In spite of everything with Meyer, I still think Harbaugh's staff turnover and personal flaws are going to limit Michigan ascending.

OU rank: Top 10 with more Mackovickian lopsided offensive talent vs defensive talent.

Total number in Texas' class: 24 - I've been passing on the premise of less than 20 and I can't make the numbers believable to myself at this point. Hudson and Brown not being in the program makes the starting point something like 19 available scholarships, so losing another 5 for various reasons over the next 18 months seems not just logical but probable. Of course, if they're viewing the transfer portal as a place where they're going to add 2-3 guys each year that have multiple years of eligibility left, then that might continue to push numbers below 25 if the program remains stable.

I'll go with a rank in the 6-8 range. I think two things working against us are A) the large number of prospects from DFW this cycle and B) the DL-heavy nature of the class (Giles isn't as good of a closer in that area as Washington is with DBs, for example).

A&M could be in that area as well, but they could also be much lower. Depends on how many players they can process and which recruitments they buy their way into. We're not conflicting with them for a whole lot of guys this cycle which is good, it'll probably be blOU fighting us for a lot of those kids especially in the DFW area.

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I'll go with a rank in the 6-8 range. I think two things working against us are A) the large number of prospects from DFW this cycle and B) the DL-heavy nature of the class (Giles isn't as good of a closer in that area as Washington is with DBs, for example).

A&M could be in that area as well, but they could also be much lower. Depends on how many players they can process and which recruitments they buy their way into. We're not conflicting with them for a whole lot of guys this cycle which is good, it'll probably be blOU fighting us for a lot of those kids especially in the DFW area.

I haven't looked at the offer list, but off the top of my head who in the DFW area are we after other than the Duncanville duo, Dorbah, and Michael Henderson?  Ty Jordan and Brennan Scott?

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

I haven't looked at the offer list, but off the top of my head who in the DFW area are we after other than the Duncanville duo, Dorbah, and Michael Henderson?  Ty Jordan and Brennan Scott?

We are all in on Zach Evans but should take 2 RBs in 2020 and Ou commit Jase McClellan from Aledo holds a UT offer and supposedly we are not giving up on recruiting him.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Top 5 for 2020:

(in no order)

I agree with a lot of this, so I'll just post where I differ

Surprise good- Miami, they'll get near or perhaps into the top five

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

A month later and that still seems like it might actually be the worst call in the history of football. Certainly the worst fake kick decision. Would have been immeasurably better to simply line up and go for it.

Pretty stiff competition from a Bama game just a few weeks earlier.  But it was the other "genius" SEC coach calling the idiot play.

49 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Those guys, but also highly-ranked players like McGlothern or Mickens that are favouring A&M/OOS schools. We need a rainmaker in DFW that can win more recruitments for us there.

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Those guys, but also highly-ranked players like McGlothern or Mickens that are favouring A&M/OOS schools. We need a rainmaker in DFW that can win more recruitments for us there.

We need a DFW rainmaker to land Mickens, who doesn't have a Texas offer 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

WTF are the C, LG, and LT doing on that play?

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

1 hour ago, Fud said:

We need a DFW rainmaker to land Mickens, who doesn't have a Texas offer 

And McGlothern just moved to the DFW like 6 months ago. He’s actually a Houston area kid.

Highly regarded DFW kids from rankings and offers. I might be missing a couple. Bolded hold Texas offers

Jase McClellan

Ja'Quinden Jackson

Chris Thompson

Brennon Scott

Jake Majors

Ty Jordan

Darius Snow

Seth McGowan

Prince Dorbah

RJ Mickens

Lorando Johnson

Drew Sanders

EJ Smith

Marvin Mims

Courtland Ford

DJ Graham

Michael Henderson

Andrej Karic

Jalen Kimber

Jaxon Smith-Njigba

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

Highly regarded DFW kids from rankings and offers. I might be missing a couple. Bolded hold Texas offers

Jase McClellan

Ja'Quinden Jackson

Chris Thompson

Brennon Scott

Jake Majors

Ty Jordan

Darius Snow

Seth McGowan

Prince Dorbah

RJ Mickens

Lorando Johnson

Drew Sanders

EJ Smith

Marvin Mims

Courtland Ford

DJ Graham

Michael Henderson

Andrej Karic

Jalen Kimber

Jaxon Smith-Njigba

Guys we have a good shot at; Majors, Dorbah, Jordan, Jackson, Thompson, and Scott. Guys who we are "in it" for; Henderson and Snow. 

I think we'll do ok in the DFW this cycle. 

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You think we're interested in either McGlothern or Mickens?

Fine, Mickens was a bad example. But between Jackson, CTJ, Dorbah, Brennan Scott, the Aledo kid blOU has, and the DB from Hebron there are a lot of priority targets in DFW. And we haven't been winning recruitments in that area very consistently.

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Fine, Mickens was a bad example. But between Jackson, CTJ, Dorbah, Brennan Scott, the Aledo kid blOU has, and the DB from Hebron there are a lot of priority targets in DFW. And we haven't been winning recruitments in that area very consistently.

And Jake Majors