Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

14 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

This staff refusal to give out offers is fucking dumb and it's where Herman's ego needs to get checked, when Texas has couple playoff appearances and put a few kids in the league then Texas can be uber selective with it's offers but right now it means they are playing from behind.

It's a balancing act.....  Hiphopopotamos found a good article discussing Scholly offers that aren't commitable..... See this thread

Edited by LTtxfan

5 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I keep seeing people say this as though there is some sort of Tre Watson tree where you can just go and pluck one whenever you want. What if there are no Tre Watsons this year? It seemed as though we were very fortunate to land a guy like Tre last year, and that expecting to be able to replicate that might be unrealistic. 

Counterpoint:

Griffin_Taj.JPG?width=300

@Katfid54

5 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I don't understand why everyone here seems to discount Danny Young. The kid has logged important snaps in each of his first 2 years. He isn't a game breaker, but he does everything well enough and can get you first downs.  15 carries by Ingram, 10 by Whittington, 5 by Young, and you are at 30 carries before Sam ever gets involved in the run game. And that is if we don't pick up a GT back. Injuries are the only major threat to what should be a decent stable of backs next year. I would feel much much better with Brown being a viable option for next year, but we should survive.  

He exhibited horrible vision, fumbling issues, and generally poor running the entire year. He showed a lot of promise his FR year, and if he can get back to that, then he’s perfectly fine to be a solid part of the rotation, but his play this year warrants discounting.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Keontay's comments after the Sugar Bowl win indicate that he knows he needs to add some bulk and will dedicate his offseason efforts toward that.  But yeah, even a bigger, stronger Ingram doesn't need a ton of carriers between the tackles with our precarious RB depth. 

Would this be enough, or do you think he needs more?

SPT-UTFB26.jpg

14 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

One thing that would help our running game would be if our OL actually moved people off the line of scrimmage. Open some nice big holes. 

Instead of the RB running into the back of the OLman and having to try and duck around them without getting tackled. 

To see how screwed Charlie left our OL, just compare the year 2 Houston RB film to year 2 at Texas.  Thankfully that's being addressed but OL are the slowest to develop and next year and 2020 are when the new regime's efforts really pay off.

Edited by sushihorn

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/02/open-post-wednesday-february-6th/

Updates | Zach Evans, Princely, Jones
– Super K

***Texas got a bit of a sting last night as 2020 DB, Jaylon Jones (Cibolo Steele) committed to Texas A&M while on an unofficial for the Aggies Super Bowl party.

Jones is a heck of a physical specimen so I don’t want to sugar coat and say this one, again, isn’t a bit of a sting. But I’ll add this. 1) Texas is in a good spot for Kelee Ringo and I’m not sure having a top CB in Texas committed to you this early is going to help your cause with Ringo much. 2) Texas has an absolute elite (at least on film) cornerback sitting out in Florida right now who I imagine they could reel in if they wanted to in Ethan Pouncey (Jordan Pouncey’s brother). More on Ethan later.

We didn’t reach out to the family right after the commitment but this week, if it seems appropriate, Will plans to speak with Jones’ father to see if the door here is truly closed.

***This brings me to Zach Evans. Evans was expected to be at the Aggies Super Bowl party, as well. He canceled the trip at the last minute.

I checked with Zach’s brother and it sounds like the family isn’t too happy about what they characterize as some unpleasant insinuations made by certain Aggie faithful.

CJ took to Twitter to echo what he had mentioned to me in our text exchange…

This is obviously not a great thing for the Aggies as they are, currently, from what I gather the biggest threat to Texas. In fact, in my estimation, it’s Texas and Texas A&M somewhere in his top two or three though I know that it changes and there is still a long way to go in this one.

***Texas hosted Princely Umanmielen this past weekend. He came in for a morning visit and I’m told he played a little pool with the coaches and hung out before heading up to Baylor for an unofficial visit.

Princely’s been on campus a lot and I think what this quick visit shows is he is very comfortable with Texas and the staff. Most of the time when a player spends that much time on campus, they end up at said school. There are obviously exceptions (see Barron Browning who used to spend every weekend, it seemed, at TCU) but that’s the general rule as I’ve seen it.

I’ll speak with Princely in detail later this week.

The Latest | Ty Jordan
– CJ Vogel

Ty Jordan – RB (Mesquite, Texas)

When Head Coach Tom Herman was making visit to local high schools in the DFW area last weekend, he ended up making a stop at West Mesquite High School to see RB Ty Jordan.

Jordan said he and Coach Herman were able to sit down and chat for a little during his visit. Even with the Texas staff going all in on North Shore RB Zach Evans, Texas will likely take two backs in the 2020 cycle.

Jordan said Texas is solely recruiting him as a running back. He would be a phenomenal change of pace back from the bruising Evans. Jordan is also a very talented returner, with film similar to D’Shawn Jamison a couple years ago.

With track season starting up for Jordan, he said visits to schools will be at a premium. However, he did say he wanted to get down to Austin in the next couple of weeks and again in March.

It’s safe to say Texas is high on his list early on.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/02/open-post-wednesday-february-6th/

Hide contents

Updates | Zach Evans, Princely, Jones
– Super K

***Texas got a bit of a sting last night as 2020 DB, Jaylon Jones (Cibolo Steele) committed to Texas A&M while on an unofficial for the Aggies Super Bowl party.

Jones is a heck of a physical specimen so I don’t want to sugar coat and say this one, again, isn’t a bit of a sting. But I’ll add this. 1) Texas is in a good spot for Kelee Ringo and I’m not sure having a top CB in Texas committed to you this early is going to help your cause with Ringo much. 2) Texas has an absolute elite (at least on film) cornerback sitting out in Florida right now who I imagine they could reel in if they wanted to in Ethan Pouncey (Jordan Pouncey’s brother). More on Ethan later.

We didn’t reach out to the family right after the commitment but this week, if it seems appropriate, Will plans to speak with Jones’ father to see if the door here is truly closed.

***This brings me to Zach Evans. Evans was expected to be at the Aggies Super Bowl party, as well. He canceled the trip at the last minute.

I checked with Zach’s brother and it sounds like the family isn’t too happy about what they characterize as some unpleasant insinuations made by certain Aggie faithful.

CJ took to Twitter to echo what he had mentioned to me in our text exchange…

This is obviously not a great thing for the Aggies as they are, currently, from what I gather the biggest threat to Texas. In fact, in my estimation, it’s Texas and Texas A&M somewhere in his top two or three though I know that it changes and there is still a long way to go in this one.

***Texas hosted Princely Umanmielen this past weekend. He came in for a morning visit and I’m told he played a little pool with the coaches and hung out before heading up to Baylor for an unofficial visit.

Princely’s been on campus a lot and I think what this quick visit shows is he is very comfortable with Texas and the staff. Most of the time when a player spends that much time on campus, they end up at said school. There are obviously exceptions (see Barron Browning who used to spend every weekend, it seemed, at TCU) but that’s the general rule as I’ve seen it.

I’ll speak with Princely in detail later this week.

The Latest | Ty Jordan
– CJ Vogel

Ty Jordan – RB (Mesquite, Texas)

When Head Coach Tom Herman was making visit to local high schools in the DFW area last weekend, he ended up making a stop at West Mesquite High School to see RB Ty Jordan.

Jordan said he and Coach Herman were able to sit down and chat for a little during his visit. Even with the Texas staff going all in on North Shore RB Zach Evans, Texas will likely take two backs in the 2020 cycle.

Jordan said Texas is solely recruiting him as a running back. He would be a phenomenal change of pace back from the bruising Evans. Jordan is also a very talented returner, with film similar to D’Shawn Jamison a couple years ago.

With track season starting up for Jordan, he said visits to schools will be at a premium. However, he did say he wanted to get down to Austin in the next couple of weeks and again in March.

It’s safe to say Texas is high on his list early on.

Damn, I didn't even know about Ethan Pouncey, he hasn't been rated yet, but he's got an elite early offer list. Only question is if brother Jordan is even going to stick around here.

https://247sports.com/player/ethan-pouncey-46079307/

7 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Damn, I didn't even know about Ethan Pouncey, he hasn't been rated yet, but he's got an elite early offer list. Only question is if brother Jordan is even going to stick around here.

Jordan's been nothing but enthusiastic and aligned publicly so I doubt that'd be a hurdle even if he transferred for playing time.

The kid has recently received some of those bigtime offers. His profile is on the rise. So far it seems unclear how Texas will proceed on recruiting him.