Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

Put me down for something in the 23-25 range 

I'm leaning this way too. The transfer portal is probably going to peak in the next couple of years as both players and coaches try to see where it can take them. Probably lose a couple of guys we don't want to along with a bunch that are told to take advantage of the new transfer rules.

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

When Majors commits this week, that’s 2 of 5 OL targets for the class. I don’t know when Garth will go public, probably later in the spring but that’s 3. Then you wind up focusing heavily on Lindberg and George. That would be a damned good group to sign. They look damned good with this group.

4 DLs in Unmailienalienalien, Collins, Dorbah and Broughton, if Broughton can avoid Will fucking Lyles. They look good with this crew. 

Omeire is in the mold of Collin Johnson. Mookie Cooper is as explosive as the two slots from this past class. Let’s say they can close both for a 2 man WR crew. They look good with these targets. 

Card. Eh, there’s the qb. 

Evans and Jordan at TB. McGowan leaves the state and McLellan goes to okie? I’d take that. McLellan is an Aledo TB. He’s terrific, but they take a lot of bullets before getting to college. Looking strong here.

Go hard after the Bishop Dunne guy and one other? Cy Creek guy would have to get offered first before he’d be on the list but I assume they take two. Lots of work to do here.

Ringo at CB. Jones at NB. Thompson at S. Three studs in the secondary. Looking good.

Jackson will be the number one athlete in the country. 

Obviously it’s a long way off and a lot will change. Still that would be a hell of a 20 player class. No one is expected to be an early NFL guy after next season and they like their roster, so attrition looks like it could be low. Right now they’re not thinking they’ll sign 20. More like 16. I still think they get to 21/22.

J Jones at nickel? I thought he would be a boundary guy?

15 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

With how active the Grad transfer market has become the last 2-3 years, keeping guys on track academically to either graduate early or if they are in the program for 4.5 years and can graduate and transfer would be one of the healthier sources of attrition.

I've had the same thought. Make sure the academic staff stays on the ball, get guys their degrees, then don't ever threaten to block transfers like the dick eaters up North and there can be no complaints about the John Bonney kind of attrition.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

Nice couple of pages to get introduced to the class of 2020. Thanks for the links and comments. Sounds like we had a great weekend and stole a march on a few other schools.

I had no idea Hudson Card was so highly rated. When he gets here, we can say for sure that the Texas QB situation has stabilized. There will be a solid to great prospect in every class. No more counting on freshman to come in and save us.

David Ash, Shane Buechelle and maybe even Garret Gilbert died for our sins.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Nice couple of pages to get introduced to the class of 2020. Thanks for the links and comments. Sounds like we had a great weekend and stole a march on a few other schools.

I had no idea Hudson Card was so highly rated. When he gets here, we can say for sure that the Texas QB situation has stabilized. There will be a solid to great prospect in every class. No more counting on freshman to come in and save us.

David Ash, Shane Buechelle and maybe even Garret Gilbert died for our sins.

gilbert grape has a ring. 

TFB addresses the "negative recruiting":

The Rumors of Upset Recruits

As has been reported on multiple sites, there appears to have been some negative recruiting done by Texas against Texas A&M, the SEC, and Oklahoma. After asking around to people who are directly connected to the program or were there to witness the talks, I can conclude that the negative recruiting for Texas was overblown.

What was basically said by Tom Herman is that Texas recruits do not need to leave the state to win championships. He stated that Texas is built to win one and there is no need to go to the SEC to win one, referencing the recent win over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. The whole premise was a counter-recruiting measure to the narrative that the SEC is the best conference and trying to break that narrative.

As it has been reported elsewhere as well, I can confirm that Sam Ehlinger and Matthew McConaughey (he can talk to recruits because he’s an employee of the university) took this narrative to another level, with Ehlinger making jokes at the expense of the Longhorns’ rivals and both pumping up their wins over the SEC.

One or two of these jokes might have been pointed toward Demon Demas, which probably had to do with some of the drama. Still, from what I understand, the jokes were nothing incredibly serious.

The whole story has been overblown and it comes with the territory of recruiting a guy like Demas.

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB addresses the "negative recruiting":

Hide contents

The Rumors of Upset Recruits

As has been reported on multiple sites, there appears to have been some negative recruiting done by Texas against Texas A&M, the SEC, and Oklahoma. After asking around to people who are directly connected to the program or were there to witness the talks, I can conclude that the negative recruiting for Texas was overblown.

What was basically said by Tom Herman is that Texas recruits do not need to leave the state to win championships. He stated that Texas is built to win one and there is no need to go to the SEC to win one, referencing the recent win over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. The whole premise was a counter-recruiting measure to the narrative that the SEC is the best conference and trying to break that narrative.

As it has been reported elsewhere as well, I can confirm that Sam Ehlinger and Matthew McConaughey (he can talk to recruits because he’s an employee of the university) took this narrative to another level, with Ehlinger making jokes at the expense of the Longhorns’ rivals and both pumping up their wins over the SEC.

One or two of these jokes might have been pointed toward Demon Demas, which probably had to do with some of the drama. Still, from what I understand, the jokes were nothing incredibly serious.

The whole story has been overblown and it comes with the territory of recruiting a guy like Demas.

Didn't Demas retweet Hamm's bullshit article though? Doesn't sound like nothing. 

Let's get Omeire and be done with this shit already. 

34 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

It is hard to feel like we ever really had a chance with anyone offended by aggy jokes.

Seems like a good litmus test to me. If you are offended by a little aggy joke and/or you train with the fwb you probably aren't our kind of guy.  Good luck to ya.   

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Matthew McConaughey (he can talk to recruits because he’s an employee of the university)

I hadn't even made that connection.  It seems like it would be a good strategy to hire people to teach blowoff classes to take advantage of this loophole.  Does this mean Urban will continue recruiting?  

E.J. Holland: Texas impresses parents of top recruits on weekend visit

The Eyes of Texas were upon a select group of elite recruits this weekend. And while the Longhorns made a big impression on some of its top underclassmen targets, this visit weekend was truly about connecting with them and their families on a personal level. Under Tom Herman, Texas has been extremely calculated with the way visits are setup and the activities prospects and parents take part in. This weekend was no different. Parents absolutely loved their time on the Forty Acres.

"We arrived on campus and met with Coach (Jason) Washington, where we were greeted by the staff and had dinner and met a lot of potential elite prospects and their families," said Virgil Jones, father of four-star defensive back Jaylon Jones. "Once we finished our meal, we met briefly with Coach Herman and then went to the main meeting room and listened to Coach Herman talk about the direction of the program and saw some great videos from the Sugar Bowl win. To cap that off, we were treated to a speech from Matthew McConaughey.

“Coach Herman sat with us during the basketball game and talked and then he went and sat with Jaylon and talked 1-on-1. We were very impressed with their vision for Jaylon. Coach Washington is an amazing coach. There’s something about him that is so real as a person. I think the entire visit was more intimate than other visits, Jaylon was able to spend some quality time with Caden (Sterns) and other teammates.”

Mia McClellan, mother of five-star Aledo running back and Oklahoma commit Jase McClellan shared similar sentiments. “The culture of UT is amazing,” she said. “We had a great time. It was more personal than the other visits we’ve had.” Texas already has two commits in the 2020 class in four-star offensive lineman Logan Parr and four-star quarterback Hudson Card. Both have taken on leadership roles in helping attract more talent to Austin. And so have their families.

Cindy Card, Hudson’s mother, actually had lunch with Emily Lindberg, mother of four-star offensive lineman Chad Lindberg, before the visit and bonded with her throughout the visit. Between Cindy, the Texas coaching staff and the activities on campus, Emily said she relished in her time in Austin.

“We had a great time in Austin yesterday,” Emily said. “Did Chad tell you we went out to lunch with the Cards? Anyway, I think Chad was really impressed with everything. He got to see the presentation about the 4Ever Texas program (perfect for him!) andMatthew McConaughey was a huge surprise (although Chad saw him in the hallway before!). We got to hang out with the Parrs, Jake Majors’ family and the Cards, so we had a blast.”

The big weekend reassured Cindy that Hudson made the right decision and gave her even more confidence in trying to recruit moms like Emily. “We always enjoy spending time with the players, their families, the coaches and their wives,” she said. “The strength and conditioning is impressive. They really understand the science of protecting their players. It’s more than winning at UT, They are truly molding good men and future jobs. The coaches and staff are awesome. Really enjoyed (Sam) Ehlinger and (Caden) Sterns, Herman and McConaughey speaking to the players and parents. Austin is a special place.”

Needless to say, McConaughey was a huge hit with the parents. The star actor gave an inspiring speech and posed for a few photos. Lorraine Fatheree, mother of top 2021 offensive lineman Reuben Fatheree, melted on Twitter when she posted her photos. But Lorraine made it clear that the visit weekend was powerful for reasons other than McConaughey, the Texas vs. Georgia highlights, the updated facilities and inspiring speeches.

“All the glitz and glamour is cool wherever we go, but it is important to find out how any university will make my son not only a better football player but a better student and young man,” she said. “I want to know about his major and how academics are supported. How do they help these young men after college when there is no more football? I can honestly say that leaving the University of Texas yesterday, I left with my questions answered and feeling pretty good.”

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

The Stanford Texas equation has just changed for the future. For the last several years it made sense for certain players to attend Stanford. You got a great education, had good team success, experienced solid coaching and had a base in Silicon Valley.

Now, however, Texas looks much better. We will compete for the national championship in the next 2-4 years. Stanford won’t.

The coaching is very good at OL, RB, LB, DB, QB, DL and to some extent WR. Stanford is headed downward and coaching stability is less than at Texas.

Austin presents a very nice alternative to Silicon Valley, with some majors like accounting that are right up there with Stanford.

Texas players should get drafted higher because the Pac 12 sucks and Texas is on the rise.

Advantage Texas.

This might be your best post ever.

I need a he's right GIF. Stanford and Shaw may have already reached there ceiling.

E.J. Holland: Four-star DE Prince Dorbah recaps Texas visit

Texas hosted several recruits on campus this weekend, including four-star 2020 Highland Park defensive end Prince Dorbah. While most recruits arrived in the afternoon on Saturday, Dorbah showed up to campus early and received a personalized visit. “Overall, it went well,” Dorbah said. “My favorite part was probably just talking to the coaches and going over their defense.”

In fact, that’s what a large part of the visit entailed. Dorbah had an opportunity to speak to both head coach Tom Herman and defensive line coach Oscar Giles about his potential role on the Forty Acres. They talked to me about playing like an outside linebacker role,” Dorbah said. “And defensive end in different formations. Just using me all over the field.”

Dorbah has developed an extremely strong relationship with the Texas coaching staff. The elite level pass rusher talks to Herman, Giles and offensive coordinator Tim Beck, who watched his basketball game last week, on a consistent basis. “We have a good relationship,” Dorbah said. “What stands out is probably how they show a lot of love to me. They are always coming to down to see me a lot.”

Dorbah has extremely high interest in Texas, but he is also taking a look at options like Alabama, Arkansas, Oklahoma, LSU and Ohio State. At 6-foot-4, 210 pounds, Dorbah is ranked as the No. 11 weak-side defensive end and No. 266 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ty Webb said:
  Hide contents

— Perhaps the biggest target on campus this weekend was five-star North Shore running back Zachary Evans. While he arrived late, Evans was still able to take in speeches from Tom HermanSam Ehlinger and Matthew McConaughey before the Longhorns took down Oklahoma on the hardwood. Herman spent a lot of individual time with Evans during the basketball game and got to know him on a personal level. Away from the game, the UT staff really pitched Evans on the lack of depth at the running back position and coming and being the guy from Day 1. Evans has visited Texas more than any school over the last year, and the Longhorns are continuing to build momentum for the generational back.

— Four-star offensive lineman Damieon George joined Evans on the visit this weekend. Look, SEC schools like Alabama and LSU were thought to be the early favorites for George, but from what I have been able to gather, Texas is right up there with those programs and could be close to moving into the pole position. I’m told the Sugar Bowl win made one of the biggest impacts with George out of any recruit on the board. George also had a great film session with Herb Hand, and the two are building a strong relationship. George and Evans released their top schools on the same day and really want to play together at the next level. Texas is in a great spot to land both. With that said, they both want to take their time with the process.

— Texas arguably made the biggest impression on four-star offensive lineman Chad Lindberg. The Longhorns have been surging in his recruitment and should be considered the team to beat. Lindberg and his family had lunch with Texas quarterback commit Hudson Card and his family before the visit and spent a lot of time with Logan Parr and his family during the visit. The 4Ever Texas program really caught the attention of Lindberg’s mother, and the general direction of the program as well as the coaching staff has the Longhorns high on Lindberg’s mind. Both Card and Parr have done a tremendous job of recruiting Lindberg. And remember, Lindberg’s brother is a student at Texas.

— While I really like where Texas stands with Lindberg right now, there is still reason for concern with Stanford. Lindberg and his family plan to visit Stanford next month, and his mother has been developing a friendship with Sara Little, the mother of former five-star offensive lineman Walker Little. The Lindberg family is really looking forward to that visit, and it will have major implications on his recruitment. Lindberg also plans to visit Clemson and LSU in the near future.

— I asked Evans a few weeks ago what the most important factor in his recruitment was, and he mentioned offensive linemen. I’m told the two linemen Evans really wants in the same class as him are George and Lindberg. If Texas can get Lindberg on the boat sooner than his decision timeline, it would go along way with landing both Evans and George. The three have formed a great friendship and talk about playing together on a consistent basis. I’m also told that Herman made it clear to Lindberg that he can ‘be the Caden Sterns of this class’ and help bring others to Austin.

— I mentioned that Prosper offensive lineman Jake Majors was a prospect to keep an eye on this weekend. While he didn’t pull the trigger, Texas really cemented itself as the team to beat in his recruitment. Stanford is the other school in the mix, but Majors wants to be closer to home, and he feels comfortable at Texas. I still feel very confident that Texas will get him to join the class sooner rather than later.

— Four-star Port Neches-Groves offensive lineman Jaylen Garth was another key target in the trenches on campus over the weekend. Like I’ve been reporting, there is reason to believe that Texas holds the edge over Texas A&M at this time. There seems to be a lot of optimism in this recruitment, and it helps that Garth views Texas quarterback signee Roschon Johnson as an older brother. Garth bonded with some of the other offensive linemen on campus and had some great conversations with both Herman and Herb Hand.

— Getting Lindberg, George, Parr, Garth and Majors on campus along with Evans was absolutely genius by Texas. This is exactly the type of weekend they needed with all of these guys. Texas doesn’t usually push for guys this early, but the Longhorns have a great understanding of the dynamics of this 2020 recruiting class. Herman and company have put themselves in a strong position to get every guy just mentioned. They just have to close.

— While there was a large focus on offensive line targets, the Longhorns also hosted a handful of key defensive line targets, including four-star Highland Park end Prince Dorbah. Unlike other recruits, Dorbah received a private visit on Saturday morning as he made his way to Austin with a close friend looking to attend UT. Dorbah got to try on the unis, see the facilities and spend some time with the coaching staff. Dorbah is growing extremely close to the Texas coaches, specifically Oscar Giles and Tim Beck. I would give Texas a good edge coming out of the visit.

— As mentioned, Beck is doing a really good job in the recruitment of Dorbah. Remember, Beck recently attended Dorbah’s basketball game and stopped by to see him at school. Beck actually has a pretty strong tie in Dorbah’s recruitment as he coached former NFL player Michael Hawkins, who has served as Dorbah’s mentor since he was a kid. Beck actually spent time with Hawkins during his time recruiting in the Dallas-area.

— Texas has also built a ton of momentum with fellow four-star defensive lineman Vernon Broughton. This weekend served as an opportunity to really make an impact on Broughton’s father as it was his first time on campus. As some of y’all might have seen, Broughton and his father had a little bit of fun trying on the Texas uniforms together. It was actually Oscar Giles’ idea, and the UT defensive line coach really got to know Broughton and his father on a personal level. From what I have been able to gather, they left Austin feeling like Giles can turn Broughton into a monster at the next level.

— The visit weekend resulted in an offer for four-star Bishop Dunne linebacker Brennon Scott. This one was a long time coming as Scott also visited in the fall and had been on the radar for a while. You can look at this as a ‘late offer,’ but Scott viewed it as a meaningful offer. While Texas A&M has the better relationship and Texas hasn’t had much success at Bishop Dunne, the Longhorns have made a big impression on Scott. UT has some work to do, but the Longhorns will be a top school in his recruitment moving forward.

— Texas A&M built some early momentum with four-star Cibolo Steele defensive back Jaylon Jones, but Texas has come storming back and after this visit, I feel like the Longhorns hold the slight edge at this time. Herman spent a lot of time with Jones and his father at the basketball game, and Jason Washington was actively involved on this visit. Jones views Washington as a father figure, and Jones’ actual father, Virgil, absolutely loves and trusts him. Texas safety Caden Sterns spent a lot of time with Jones as well. Sterns is his former teammate and a big brother type. Washington actually spoke to Jones about enrolling early like Sterns and the need for corner depth.

— So what in the world happened with five-star wide receiver Demond Demas? The Texas A&M commit made yet another visit to Texas this weekend — he’s visited UT more than A&M at this point. Let me preface this by saying, this recruitment is going to be just as wild as the Shepherd recruitment. A lot will be said and nothing will really matter until he signs — just like Shepherd. We’re just getting started here. Let’s start with the positive side, Card has grown close to Demas and recruited him during the visit. He met with Herman and also spent a ton of time with the offensive staff. From what I was told, there was no worry about Demas after he left campus.

— But of course, there were some negative reports in regards to Demas’ time at Texas. So what really happened? I’m told that the speeches before the basketball game from Herman, Ehlinger and McConaughey featured some bragging about UT’s Sugar Bowl win over SEC power Georgia as well as a few jokes about rival Texas A&M — from Ehlinger and McConaughey not Herman. I was told by a couple of people in the room that Demas laughed at said jokes. However, I’m also told that Demas called someone close to him and informed him of the speeches, which then resulted in negative reports. Another thing I was told was that Texas pushed really hard to flip Demas, but that it wasn’t necessarily taken well on his end. With that said, I don’t think Texas did anything wrong here.

— Overall, I think this whole issue is a little overblown. It looks like there was some misconstrued information, and that the truth is in the middle. I’m sure Texas will smooth things over — if it opts to continue to push for Demas and Shepherd. These recruitments have been nothing short of whirlwinds. We can’t go a week without drama, so I would advise to take caution when consuming information on them.

— The other committed recruit on campus was five-star running back and Oklahoma pledge Jase McClellan. While Evans is the prize, McClellan is a prospect the Longhorns are going to continue to work hard on. McClellan has always loved Texas and had the Longhorns offered before OU, I feel like they would have gotten him onboard. McClellan is a cousin of former running back Jonathan Gray, and his mother, who joined him on the visit, is very high on the program. There are only two schools that have a chance to create movement with McClellan — Texas and Georgia. Right now, I feel like he will stick with OU. But this visit was a step in the right direction.

— Some of the most talked about things from the visit weekend were: McConaughey (apparently everyone not named Demas loved his speech and his presence), the staff’s personalized meetings (Hand had his wife meet with mother of top offensive line recruits, Herman spent a lot of individual time with key targets), the 4Ever Texas program (parents loved it) and the players (Ehlinger and Sterns worked hard to help the Longhorns recruit). Overall, it was a weekend to remember and could set the tone for a big cycle on the recruiting trail.  

I know it's EJ, but I wept big tears of joy reading this.