Woodworking, DIY, and home repair thread

Mojo Hand

Building a small 6x8 shed in our backyard to clear some of the shit out of our garage - mostly the bikes. 

Nit an expert at this, but have poured a pad, framed it, and got some of the sides and roof up. Have a small dip in the middle of the pad that I’ll need to fill in. 

CD2FC1A6-50E3-4DEE-B01F-0BAC223210BF.thumb.jpeg.f4c5da7d4695c067f8bced22e92b2c28.jpeg

B0A6C3B5-CEDD-4A56-9147-6019325F6BC9.jpeg

A320CBD9-2855-44B9-8211-A2B0C2C9D462.jpeg

DEB79718-EA5D-40CE-8D15-78CF714367DC.jpeg

EB7CFED9-21F5-4E75-ADC1-0718094FC9B9.jpeg

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

Building a small 6x8 shed in our backyard to clear some of the shit out of our garage - mostly the bikes. 

Nit an expert at this, but have poured a pad, framed it, and got some of the sides and roof up. Have a small dip in the middle of the pad that I’ll need to fill in. 

CD2FC1A6-50E3-4DEE-B01F-0BAC223210BF.thumb.jpeg.f4c5da7d4695c067f8bced22e92b2c28.jpeg

B0A6C3B5-CEDD-4A56-9147-6019325F6BC9.jpeg

A320CBD9-2855-44B9-8211-A2B0C2C9D462.jpeg

DEB79718-EA5D-40CE-8D15-78CF714367DC.jpeg

EB7CFED9-21F5-4E75-ADC1-0718094FC9B9.jpeg

You should block where the rafters meet the top plate.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

You should block where the rafters meet the top plate.

Yep. Hopefully get to that this week.  Need to add blocking for the studs too. Have a wall and ridge to put in. I also keep looking at it and thinking I should put some trim here and there and caulk the shit out of this or that, then I remember that 99/100 times I’m going to be the only one that closes the door(not yet installed)

1AFF379B-5807-41EF-B58E-6B9A459A349A.jpeg

5484AFC8-94B9-4844-9C7C-3881F6F950E9.jpeg

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/9/2023 at 9:59 AM, Celery Man said:

ok I think this is the right thread, looking for some smarter opinions on what dumb thing I'm missing or if I need an electrician or what

We have a screened in porch.

porchelectrical.thumb.jpg.de22d3e6cc66dc0d9da9c256face7037.jpg

It has a ceiling fan with a light, some rope lighting around the edge (in the molding or whatever) - those are controlled by the three covered switches circled in green. They have worked in the past, as recently as early to mid april when I was out here mopping the pollen off at night.

It has an outlet (circled in yellowish orange). It has never worked as long as I've lived here. I've made a few feeble attempts at figuring it out and have had a contractor who has done some small repair projects look and we haven't figured it out. There's another outlet on the side of the house nearby, same deal.

It has a porch light (circled in fuchsia) which is controlled by a switch on the other side of that door and works.

It has speakers in the ceiling that are controlled by the volume knob (faintly circled in blue) above the light switches. Those work. There are also speakers in the kitchen and the master bath upstairs that all connect to the same sonos up on the third floor, they all have independent volume control in the wall like this guy does.

Anyways, obviously I've checked the fuse box multiple times and have toggled the breaker for this area to see if that would bring to life either the outdoor outlets or the light switches. The outlets are... I think GFCI protected but don't have a reset button or anything. I've meant to get an electrician out for the outlets but haven't gotten around to it/i think it's been hard to get anyone out for small jobs for a while but that may be getting better.

The switches are the thing that I'm trying to figure out right now - I would like to be able to turn on the light/fan/rope lights. My working theory is that the cleaning lady flipped a switch somewhere that somehow turns that whole circuit or whatever off or on. There are 20 switches in the downstairs main living area on the other side of those windows and I've walked around trying to toggle them all to see if it would bring the porch fan/lights to life. Haven't found it yet. Maybe there's something weird (switch somewhere more random that does this) - I know that a lot of the porch stuff was done after the house was built, it wouldn't surprise me if there was something weird.

Any thoughts? Is there some crazy obvious thing that I'm not trying or haven't thought of? If I can't figure it out, is an electrician who I need to just figure out the whole thing?

I gave up on this forever ago, been busy enough with everything else. Some other electrical shit busted so back to investigating and….

IMG_5659.thumb.jpeg.3e10241cb2d335a951a9fa682a4332ff.jpeg

IMG_5660.thumb.jpeg.a399dbaa7b5f271abc6d88bb820ca01d.jpeg

duh, no shit whatever was broken was in the mystery hole in the wall, and of course it was a tv. Hey, free tv.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve developed a fascination with hand marbled paper and went down a bookbinding rabbit hole, making a couple handmade journals for gifts.

I just made this box with some hand marbled paper from Brazil.

95b6df5aba9701ac03cbceec76e5ad87.jpg
23d634fdaa2b58f321b5c94ed42fcbca.jpg
1df5a37903d26c5216c6d3abf8cdfe08.jpg

crepaldi.marbled.paper is his instagram. He posts some videos of how he makes the paper.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Yeah, there was a tv behind that little door - I figured it would be set up for that but it’s also such a small door that it seems pointless. It was locked with a different key and the hinges were rusty, prior owner couldn’t come up with the key. We had a baby immediately after moving in and it just never even ranked as a priority past a few feeble attempts to get the pins out. In retrospect obviously that’s where the tripped gfci was, I just stopped even thinking about the door.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Basic dumb question amnesty requested. "Need" to install a 100# punching bag in the boy's room. Have this wall mount that looks like below. Am I a dumbass for thinking that I can get by with mounting a couple 2x6 flush, lagging those into the studs and then lagging this mount into those 2x6s? I honestly don't like the idea of mounting this thing in his room at all and would rather it go into the garage, but reasons. 

image.png.c69364a1d61b41f83bb5c042c5672edb.png

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Basic dumb question amnesty requested. "Need" to install a 100# punching bag in the boy's room. Have this wall mount that looks like below. Am I a dumbass for thinking that I can get by with mounting a couple 2x6 flush, lagging those into the studs and then lagging this mount into those 2x6s? I honestly don't like the idea of mounting this thing in his room at all and would rather it go into the garage, but reasons. 

image.png.c69364a1d61b41f83bb5c042c5672edb.png

Are you asking because the bolts don’t line up with the studs?  If so, I think you’d be fine. I’ve done similar plenty of times. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Cross mount a metal (or wood) ledger to the studs.   Mount the punching bag base mount to the ledger.  

Murderize ‘em, Rock!

The mount plate is like 13.5" wide and 9" tall.  I think I am going to do this with just a 2x12 cut to 20" length or so.  

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

I’d buy a freestanding setup.

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

^^^ that

+2.  We bought something like this for my 14yo son.  It takes up a lot of room but I like it a lot better as a solution rather than lagging support pieces through a bunch of studs.

image.thumb.png.9c66b1045204cbcf72b0dd15c29d3cff.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

The wall stud system should be fine.  I think the footprint in a bedroom for that would just be way too much

Guess it depends if the repairs to the wall in 6 months (after 5 months of collecting dust) is worth it or not. Me personally, it's not. Kids are fickle, and their focus/interest changes way too frequently, IMO.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Guess it depends if the repairs to the wall in 6 months (after 5 months of collecting dust) is worth it or not. Me personally, it's not. Kids are fickle, and their focus/interest changes way too frequently, IMO.

Agree 100%.  

Like I said, it takes up a lot of room, but he still has room for a twin bed, dresser, and a crappy Ikea Expedit bookshelf thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not quite done yet, still needs another coat of paint and grouting of the tile, but the mantle is built and tile is up!

Reminder I'm squaring off the right and replacing the doors with shaker ones later on, so the look will be complete then.  

Also going to paint my frame for the frame tv a better gold.  The sand gold just doesn't work

Build done:

image.thumb.jpeg.e9290bd241889861035b9411432aa4e5.jpeg

First coat of paint:

image.thumb.jpeg.9194772aecc33dc5ed6a20a7f7300456.jpeg

Second coat of paint:

image.thumb.jpeg.a1546e5b57e52571f4b3c16ca27e7c2e.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Question for the woodworkers that have a jointer: Do you have a 6” or 8” jointer, and if you have a 6 do you often find yourself wishing you had those extra 2 inches? I’m trying to decide if I’d constantly be wishing I would have spent the extra $1k to go with 8” instead of 6”. 

16 minutes ago, heso said:

Question for the woodworkers that have a jointer: Do you have a 6” or 8” jointer, and if you have a 6 do you often find yourself wishing you had those extra 2 inches? I’m trying to decide if I’d constantly be wishing I would have spent the extra $1k to go with 8” instead of 6”. 

I'm not a polished woodworker with lots of equipment but I am involved with a machine shop and equipment for metal working. Always get the next size bigger if you have the floor space and $$$ to do so.

• Hook 'Em 2

Im in the same boat. I want a jointer and can’t decide. I’d like a stand up 8” floor jointer with a spiral head. I’m not sure I’d ever need it but, I’d rather have something more than what I’d normally use, just in case.

For the time being, I considered getting an 8” grizzly benchtop from Home Depot, but the reviews are fairly hit or miss.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I'm not a polished woodworker with lots of equipment but I am involved with a machine shop and equipment for metal working. Always get the next size bigger if you have the floor space and $$$ to do so.

I absolutely do not have the floor space, but I’m weighing the quality of life improvement of being able to quickly run a board across a jointer and have a flat face instead of having to take the time to shim and hot glue a board to a long piece of melamine and then feed that through the planer to get a flat face vs making my shop even tighter than it already is. It would probably end up going between my bench/asssembly table/outfeed table and the wall. I’d end up putting retractable casters on the table so that I could pull it out to get to the jointer. Fuck I need a bigger space. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Im in the same boat. I want a jointer and can’t decide. I’d like a stand up 8” floor jointer with a spiral head. I’m not sure I’d ever need it but, I’d rather have something more than what I’d normally use, just in case.

For the time being, I considered getting an 8” grizzly benchtop from Home Depot, but the reviews are fairly hit or miss.

My space and wallet are telling me to get an 8” bench top helical cutter. But I’m just trying to envision how much I’ll hate trying to deal with the short bed, short fence, and how accurate I can get it to be. 

My brain and my heart are telling me that the setup I have right now is working well enough that I should just wait until I can justify getting the 8” floor model. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, heso said:

My space and wallet are telling me to get an 8” bench top helical cutter. But I’m just trying to envision how much I’ll hate trying to deal with the short bed, short fence, and how accurate I can get it to be. 

My brain and my heart are telling me that the setup I have right now is working well enough that I should just wait until I can justify getting the 8” floor model. 

Tell your brain, space, and wallet to take a hike.

Tell your heart to catch up to your dream of that 8" floor model, and then follow your heart.

• Like 2

I need want things in my workshop.  An 8 inch jointer, which frankly I can work without and have forever.  But I have a 20 year old Delta contractor saw that is true, but is dust hell even with the mods I've made to close it in.  And it's just not as powerful as I'd like.  But damn, 3500 for a table saw that I want is rough

The grizzly expands to like 52” I think. I watched the video on Home Depot’s site. I’ve got enough gift cards to get it for next to nothing. It’s only $450 I think.
I need want things in my workshop.  An 8 inch jointer, which frankly I can work without and have forever.  But I have a 20 year old Delta contractor saw that is true, but is dust hell even with the mods I've made to close it in.  And it's just not as powerful as I'd like.  But damn, 3500 for a table saw that I want is rough

Sawstop? I want one but can’t justify it.