2019 Texas Defense

USMCHorn

It's time for some mf'n football talk. We should get this started before the fall camp reports come out and get us all drunk on Kool-aid. Give me your best 11 on defense. I think we run a 3-3-5 as our base.

Here's mine:

DE: TQ Graham

Nose: Coburn

DE: Roach

Rover: McCullough

Mac: Adeoye

B-Backer: Ossai

CB1: Cook

CB2: Green

NB: Foster

FS: Sterns

BS: Jones

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFlagship said:

Coburn and Wilbon will rotate to stay fresh. Probably need a 3rd option to step up too (Ojomo?)

Is Caleb Johnson an option at Mac? 

Would love to see Overshown get some PT at LB or S.

I don't think we'll have much of a choice regarding Overshown. He's too athletic and big to keep off the field, but our safety position is manned by two other 5* kids who are legit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USMCHorn said:

It's time for some mf'n football talk. We should get this started before the fall camp reports come out and get us all drunk on Kool-aid. Give me your best 11 on defense. I think we run a 3-3-5 as our base.

Here's mine:

DE: TQ Graham

Nose: Coburn

DE: Roach

Rover: McCullough

Mac: Adeoye

B-Backer: Ossai

CB1: Cook

CB2: Green

NB: Foster

FS: Sterns

BS: Jones

Putting Adeoye in as part of your best 11 probably won’t age well. 

Give me Brown or Overshown as Joker in place of Adeoye. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Agreed, we can have two robbers/jokers/nickels. 3-2-6, those OLBs are like very speedy ends as well so 4+ are coming every snap.

I have confidence that Jones, Sterns, and Foster can all play big enough to allow Overshown at "LB".

Lighting all the time.

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

TO has missed on starting personal his first 2 seasons here, Hughes/Roach/Hagar at LB were all bad personal decisions. It'll be interesting to see if he comes out of the gate without any misses this year.

Why do you think those decisions were personal?  Don't you think he would want the best personnel on the field?

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Definitely against spread teams.  Who else remembers the way Orlando used Jason Hall in late 2017?  Now picture a bulked up 5* safety playing that position.

12 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Definitely against spread teams.  Who else remembers the way Orlando used Jason Hall in late 2017?  Now picture a bulked up 5* safety playing that position.

I think that’s always been the plan with Overshawn. Getting him to buy in is another matter. So they made him a S name only and will play him as they intended to all along. 

1 minute ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I think that’s always been the plan with Overshawn. Getting him to buy in is another matter. So they made him a S name only and will play him as they intended to all along. 

If you see Overshown in person you would call him a Safety, he is not built like a Senior Jason Hall, yet. He is also much more fluid than Hall which allows him to cover much better. We'll see if he has the fb smarts Hall did which allowed him to play fast, injuries really hurt his career here. 

1 minute ago, unclebean said:

I'm hoping the defense is stout, but i swear to god, the 3 down alignment of Orlando's, with that roving 4th guy gives me anxiety every damn snap. I know a lot of that is predicated by the personnel we have on campus, but ... ugh, lol.

...but why?

2 minutes ago, unclebean said:

I'm hoping the defense is stout, but i swear to god, the 3 down alignment of Orlando's, with that roving 4th guy gives me anxiety every damn snap. I know a lot of that is predicated by the personnel we have on campus, but ... ugh, lol.

With the right guy, that Rover is a nightmare for an offense. We are about to have a run of monsters as rovers starting with Ossai, Byron, Dorbah....

When it comes to the run game (defending against it), it's all about gap control and what technique your down linemen are using. Which gap are they covering, how're they trying to plug the particular run gaps, etc. If you don't play within the system your coordinator sets up, and you try to make the big play on your own (thus exposing your linebackers to a free o-lineman), a back can make a cut, run up a seam that opens up all of a sudden, and boom, you've just given up an easy 5-6 (or more) yards. I've never been a fan of 3-4, 3-3-5 or similar alignments, and asking a college kid to stay within the system vs making the big play is a big ask. I'd always prefer to put 4 down linemen on the defensive front, but again, i realize we're thin at defensive tackle. that could be a reason we go with that style defense.

1 minute ago, unclebean said:

When it comes to the run game (defending against it), it's all about gap control and what technique your down linemen are using. Which gap are they covering, how're they trying to plug the particular run gaps, etc. If you don't play within the system your coordinator sets up, and you try to make the big play on your own (thus exposing your linebackers to a free o-lineman), a back can make a cut, run up a seam that opens up all of a sudden, and boom, you've just given up an easy 5-6 (or more) yards. I've never been a fan of 3-4, 3-3-5 or similar alignments, and asking a college kid to stay within the system vs making the big play is a big ask. I'd always prefer to put 4 down linemen on the defensive front, but again, i realize we're thin at defensive tackle. that could be a reason we go with that style defense.

No, it's very much intentional.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/2/5/18205641/tite-front-defenses-explained

• Like 1

Orlando's D uses the defense's main (practically only) advantage to its maximum - the fact that they don't have to be set at the snap!

OC's like to sit up high and read the defense. They radio down to the sideline, hand signals (or other bizarre placards) occur, the QB makes a check, and the play is run. Orlando likes to set his line up, then wait and have everybody run someplace else! The QB is left on his own to figure it out looking across the LOS at a bunch of facemasks. It's almost impossible to do on the fly!

Now, imagine you're the Center, trying to set your protection or scheme. There's a large DT right in front of you (0-tech), or staggered just off your shoulder (1-tech). Outside of that, there's just a bunch of motion. Are those Safeties spun down to blitz? LB's? Is a DE at the 4i-tech? Why are 3 players over the same gap? Should we slide protect? Keep the RB in or swing? Bring the TE in tight? Ack! Everyone moved again!

When everyone on the field, except the biggest and strongest, is capable of playing sideline to sideline, you can do this sort of stuff. It doesn't matter if they're playing against an OT. They just run around him, or occupy him so their buddy can flash by. It's the same concept as the spread offense, just on defense. The difference is, if the opponent gets it wrong, they get to hear "Texas Fight!" played.

"Take the shortest route to the (ball). Arrive in ill humor." -Bobby Clarke (sort of)

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Goodman said:

If you see Overshown in person you would call him a Safety, he is not built like a Senior Jason Hall, yet. He is also much more fluid than Hall which allows him to cover much better. We'll see if he has the fb smarts Hall did which allowed him to play fast, injuries really hurt his career here. 

I’d say that Overshawn’s size is intentional given that numerous LB’s have put on 20-30 lbs of muscle over the offseason. I suspect he might have noticed if they told him he could fulfill his wish to play S, but made him do the LB workout regimen.

I hope that he connects the dots about that this year and takes to the upcoming offseason with his role in mind. 

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I’d say that Overshawn’s size is intentional given that numerous LB’s have put on 20-30 lbs of muscle over the offseason. I suspect he might have noticed if they told him he could fulfill his wish to play S, but made him do the LB workout regimen.

I hope that he connects the dots about that this year and takes to the upcoming offseason with his role in mind. 

Dammit man, it's Overshown.

3 hours ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

D'Shawn Jamison is gonna bring a lot of athleticism to the defensive backfield. If he's not starting at some point, I expect him to be the first player off the bench for one of the corner spots.

He'll be like Aaron Ross in 2005. Ross replaced Cedric Griffin or Tarrell Brown when they came off the field. There'll be almost no drop-off in terms of quality play when he hits the field. Amazing the amount of parallels between this team and the 05 squad. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

He'll be like Aaron Ross in 2005. Ross replaced Cedric Griffin or Tarrell Brown when they came off the field. There'll be almost no drop-off in terms of quality play when he hits the field. Amazing the amount of parallels between this team and the 05 squad. 

If I'm not mistaken, he won the Thorpe in 2005.

One of the best things about this defense is, outside of LB, we have quality depth at every position. For the first time in ages, we can sustain an injury to a frontline starter and not have to plug in a total JAG or a true freshman who’s not ready to play. 

The last two years when injuries hit, the defense has fallen off a cliff. I’m hopeful we can sustain a more consistent level of play due to our depth this year.

Edited by Burt Macklin

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

One of the best things about this defense is, outside of LB, we have quality depth at every position. For the first time in ages, we can sustain an injury to a frontline starter and not have to plug in a total JAG or a true freshman who’s not ready to play. 

The last two years when injuries hit, the defense has fallen off a cliff. I’m hopeful we can sustain a more consistent level of play due to our depth this year.

You have more confidence than me in the backup defensive line of Wilbon, Christmas, Chisholm, Bimage , Ojomo and Jones. To me it looks like one average guy in Wilbon, two below JAGs, and three unknowns. Ojomo and/or Bimage could absolutely be much improved after an offseason, but neither looked great to me when playing last year.

I do think we've really improved across the starting defensive line when compared to Herman's first two years. Coburn has a chance to be special.

2 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

You have more confidence than me in the backup defensive line of Wilbon, Christmas, Chisholm, Bimage , Ojomo and Jones. To me it looks like one average guy in Wilbon, two below JAGs, and three unknowns. Ojomo and/or Bimage could absolutely be much improved after an offseason, but neither looked great to me when playing last year.

I do think we've really improved across the starting defensive line when compared to Herman's first two years. Coburn has a chance to be special.

lulz. 5 of those guys are better than Hager, who we started last year. Our DL talent and depth is absolutely improved. 

26 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

lulz. 5 of those guys are better than Hager, who we started last year. Our DL talent and depth is absolutely improved. 

As I implied, the combination of TQ, Coburn and Roach can be better than Charles, Nelson and Hager, primarily because of Coburn’s talent and the fact that Hager self-immolated on the field week after week. But the supposed “depth” doesn’t have a single proven player outside of maybe Wilbon proving that he’s serviceable. Hopefully our coaches nailed the Ojomo, Jones and Carson evals. We’ll see.

11 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

As I implied, the combination of TQ, Coburn and Roach can be better than Charles, Nelson and Hager, primarily because of Coburn’s talent and the fact that Hager self-immolated on the field week after week. But the supposed “depth” doesn’t have a single proven player outside of maybe Wilbon proving that he’s serviceable. Hopefully our coaches nailed the Ojomo, Jones and Carson evals. We’ll see.

Not proven to fans yet, but I have yet to see Orlando express concerns about the DLine like he has the LBs.

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

when is there ever "proven depth" in going into a new season of cfb?

most proven depth from the previous year, is a starter the next year...

10 minutes ago, pacman said:

when is there ever "proven depth" in going into a new season of cfb?

most proven depth from the previous year, is a starter the next year...

That is a fair point. I guess "proven" is the wrong word. I really meant either players with a high pedigree like Jalen Green, Jamison or Overshown, or players who were lower ranked but have flashed in limited playing time like Chris Brown. We don't really have that along the defensive line (yet), for reasons that have been discussed ad nauseam in the recruiting forum. But, I think our starters this year are good enough and will be protected enough by our elite secondary that defensive line will not be an issue so long as Coburn and Roach can stay on the field.