Texas Spring Football Thread

Fud

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Trey Sermon is definitely hurt. 

I've seen a many of friend athletes not make it back from what was thought to be a simple knee sprain... It didn't even look as if Sermon was running full speed...

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Nope said:

If Ehlinger ends up with more rushing yards than Young + Ingram we are in for another shitty season

Unless one of the RBs separates from the pack the reps are probably going to be split between Young, Ingram and Carter. 

That's why  I don't find Ian's take to be all that crazy. None of our RBs are going to produce big numbers because they are likely going to be splitting reps. We don't have a Foreman on the roster that's proven they can be a 20-30 carries a game workhorse. 

Not to mention throw in reps with Heard/LJH getting reps out of the "wildcat". 

Edited by texasstrong12

21 hours ago, TexasTroll said:

Who’s winning???

hope not Maryland.

The offense won 31-3. The D didn't have much of a chance. The offense was the white team and the red team was the defense. The white team always had the ball and they'd alternate 1st team O vs. 2nd team D and vice versa.

The white team scored a FG and two TDs to make it 17-0. Then the red team intercepted a pass and returned it for a TD. The 6 points were awarded to the white team, then they kicked the XP to make it 24-0. Late in the first half the white team kicked another FG and those 3 points were awarded to the red team to account for their final score.

I have no idea what the rationale was behind all of that. I've never seen anything like it. Usually when I've seen teams play like that the defense is awarded points for stops, sacks, tackles for loss, turnovers, etc. I'm not sure why they even bothered keeping score. 

22 hours ago, satyanash said:

Oh we know what Herman will choose and it has nothing to do with the difference. My impression is Herman likes to run his QBs period. That is why his QBs get hurt at every place he has been as far as I know. People that know more than me may disagree and I would like to hear their opnion.

Edited by DanTheHorn

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I find it funny that anyone would complain about Herman running his QBs too much. Good thing we never ran James Street too much back in the day, huh?

I want Sam's legs to be a major part of the offense. It opens up so much. I don't want Sam to be used as a battering ram in short yard situations when using a wildcat is more effective and keeps Sam healthy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I find it funny that anyone would complain about Herman running his QBs too much. Good thing we never ran James Street too much back in the day, huh?

Literally no difference between running a triple option offense against 1960’s sized defenders and running QB off tackle leads on “3rd and everybody knows it’s coming” from the gun against current collegiate athletes. 

The play is fine and often effective. But use it as a change of pace and not as the only possibility. 

• Like 1

Chip Brown: Some spring practice thoughts

There was no scrimmage this weekend because the team will practice Tuesday and Thursday then have a walk-through on Friday for practices No. 12, 13, 14 and 15 - culminating with Saturday night's Orange-White Spring Game. But in talking to several sources, here are some things to think about heading into the final week of spring ball.

* One of the biggest developments of the spring has been the blocking of first-team tight end Andrew Beck and backup Reese Leitao. I'm told Beck's play of the spring was a pancake block of Malcolm Roach - no easy feat. Having a tight end who can set the edge in the run game is enormous for Tom Herman's offense, especially on plays like the speed sweep. That play wasn't featured as much last season because of the lack of a solid, blocking tight end. And that is one of the best plays Devin Duvernay runs.

* Devin Duvernay, who was described to me by one team source as "Quan Cosby with speed," has been one of the brightest storylines of spring football. Duvernay has put in the time to become a more complete receiver and has the wheels Texas needs to run plays like the speed sweep.

* Lil'Jordan Humphrey has been a monster out of the slot in four-wide sets.

* Sam Ehlinger and Shane Buechele have been running No. 1 and No. 2 at quarterback all spring. But early enrollee freshmen quarterbacks Cameron Rising and Casey Thompson have developed well and have shown confidence. Every source you talk to says Thompson is an elite running quarterback with blazing speed but is behind Rising as a passer.

* Even with Kyle Porter missing most of the spring with injuries, Daniel Young and Toneil Carter continue to develop as running backs who can be featured in UT's offense as runners and catchers of the ball. Of course, incoming freshman Keaontay Ingram, the state's top running back recruit in 2018, will arrive in June.

* Denzel Okafor has worked at first-team left tackle quite a bit this spring - a sign he has fended off redshirt freshman Sam Cosmi, one of the strongest members of the Longhorns' team. Of course, Rice grad transfer Calvin Anderson is expected to come in and establish himself as the likely starter at left tackle.

* Derek Kerstetter, who ran with the first team at right tackle, ran with the second team at center. This will be an interesting development to watch once Calvin Anderson gets on campus.

* We don't have a good picture yet of JUCO transfer guard Mikey Grandy because of a concussion that sidelined him for most of the second half of spring. Tom Herman expressed a need to see what Grandy and Patrick Hudson(ACL tear recovery) can do once the team gathers for fall camp.

* New offensive line coach Herb Hand is a hit - a technical teacher and veteran who knows what he's doing and how to do it.

* On defense, Malcolm Roach has been a hit at both B-backer and Rover (weak side linebacker) in Gary Johnson's absence. Roach is a football player.

* Breckyn Hager sees himself having a Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year type season. And now he has the body (270 pounds) to possibly back it up.

* Todd Orlando has praised the efforts of defensive lineman D'Andre Christmas-Giles and backup linebacker Demarco Boyd.

* Flying under the radar has been a solid spring from senior middle linebacker Anthony Wheeler, defensive end Charles Omenihu and junior nose tackle Gerald Wilbon (with Chris Nelson wearing a green/injured jersey all spring).

* Among the early enrollee freshmen, look for the following to make an impact in 2018: safety Caden Sterns, safety B.J. Foster, cornerback Anthony Cook, linebacker Ayodele Adeoye and punter Ryan Bujcevski.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Chip Brown: Some spring practice thoughts

Reveal hidden contents

There was no scrimmage this weekend because the team will practice Tuesday and Thursday then have a walk-through on Friday for practices No. 12, 13, 14 and 15 - culminating with Saturday night's Orange-White Spring Game. But in talking to several sources, here are some things to think about heading into the final week of spring ball.

* One of the biggest developments of the spring has been the blocking of first-team tight end Andrew Beck and backup Reese Leitao. I'm told Beck's play of the spring was a pancake block of Malcolm Roach - no easy feat. Having a tight end who can set the edge in the run game is enormous for Tom Herman's offense, especially on plays like the speed sweep. That play wasn't featured as much last season because of the lack of a solid, blocking tight end. And that is one of the best plays Devin Duvernay runs.

* Devin Duvernay, who was described to me by one team source as "Quan Cosby with speed," has been one of the brightest storylines of spring football. Duvernay has put in the time to become a more complete receiver and has the wheels Texas needs to run plays like the speed sweep.

* Lil'Jordan Humphrey has been a monster out of the slot in four-wide sets.

* Sam Ehlinger and Shane Buechele have been running No. 1 and No. 2 at quarterback all spring. But early enrollee freshmen quarterbacks Cameron Rising and Casey Thompson have developed well and have shown confidence. Every source you talk to says Thompson is an elite running quarterback with blazing speed but is behind Rising as a passer.

* Even with Kyle Porter missing most of the spring with injuries, Daniel Young and Toneil Carter continue to develop as running backs who can be featured in UT's offense as runners and catchers of the ball. Of course, incoming freshman Keaontay Ingram, the state's top running back recruit in 2018, will arrive in June.

* Denzel Okafor has worked at first-team left tackle quite a bit this spring - a sign he has fended off redshirt freshman Sam Cosmi, one of the strongest members of the Longhorns' team. Of course, Rice grad transfer Calvin Anderson is expected to come in and establish himself as the likely starter at left tackle.

* Derek Kerstetter, who ran with the first team at right tackle, ran with the second team at center. This will be an interesting development to watch once Calvin Anderson gets on campus.

* We don't have a good picture yet of JUCO transfer guard Mikey Grandy because of a concussion that sidelined him for most of the second half of spring. Tom Herman expressed a need to see what Grandy and Patrick Hudson(ACL tear recovery) can do once the team gathers for fall camp.

* New offensive line coach Herb Hand is a hit - a technical teacher and veteran who knows what he's doing and how to do it.

* On defense, Malcolm Roach has been a hit at both B-backer and Rover (weak side linebacker) in Gary Johnson's absence. Roach is a football player.

* Breckyn Hager sees himself having a Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year type season. And now he has the body (270 pounds) to possibly back it up.

* Todd Orlando has praised the efforts of defensive lineman D'Andre Christmas-Giles and backup linebacker Demarco Boyd.

* Flying under the radar has been a solid spring from senior middle linebacker Anthony Wheeler, defensive end Charles Omenihu and junior nose tackle Gerald Wilbon (with Chris Nelson wearing a green/injured jersey all spring).

* Among the early enrollee freshmen, look for the following to make an impact in 2018: safety Caden Sterns, safety B.J. Foster, cornerback Anthony Cook, linebacker Ayodele Adeoye and punter Ryan Bujcevski.

It's Chip, but it's still good news. I'll take it right now. 

9 hours ago, po elvis said:

I want Sam's legs to be a major part of the offense. It opens up so much. I don't want Sam to be used as a battering ram in short yard situations when using a wildcat is more effective and keeps Sam healthy.

This, and exactly this. We have 3rd and short backs for a reason.

"Derek Kerstetter, who ran with the first team at right tackle, ran with the second team at center. This will be an interesting development to watch once Calvin Anderson gets on campus."

Seems pretty likely that Hand is looking to replace Shack at center. This news in addition to Hand following the Ohio State center on twitter seems to indicate they want a different option. 

"Derek Kerstetter, who ran with the first team at right tackle, ran with the second team at center. This will be an interesting development to watch once Calvin Anderson gets on campus."
Seems pretty likely that Hand is looking to replace Shack at center. This news in addition to Hand following the Ohio State center on twitter seems to indicate they want a different option. 
I am cool with this

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Or just competition in general. We don't have the competition to push shack and I'm not sure putting Kerstetter in is a viable option at this point. 

3 hours ago, Snacks said:

I want to believe... Dev is a faster Quan.

Surly kool-aid.

Lulz that’s such a ridiculous comparison by Chip. They’re not even similar. Quan was way quicker and much more agile laterally, while Duvernay is a straight line burner. 

Just in case anyone forgot, Chip has 0 actual knowledge about football. 

You might recall that injuries to Colt McCoy received while running the ball on designed plays ended a special season or two for us. Maybe even every season he started outside of 2008. 

You might also recall that we had no running game and Colt McCoy had to use his legs and short passing game instead to simulate one.

Lulz that’s such a ridiculous comparison by Chip. They’re not even similar. Quan was way quicker and much more agile laterally, while Duvernay is a straight line burner. 
Just in case anyone forgot, Chip has 0 actual knowledge about football. 

Not to mention Quan’s best quality was his hands and never dropping a pass. Dev has never shown that quality. Not saying he doesn’t have it he just hasn’t shown it.

5 minutes ago, dad said:

You might also recall that we had no running game and Colt McCoy had to use his legs and short passing game instead to simulate one.

In one of the 3 seasons he was injured, and in two of the seasons that he started. 

The point being that, while running Qb’s are an accepted part of modern, offensive college football,  it is also shown to be able to torpedo your season if not used judiciously. Something we have recent history with. 

I don’t have a problem with us running Sam on called, designed plays. Making it the key to your short yardage rushing attack, let alone your entire ground attack, is stupid if you don’t have a 6’5” injury proof alien under center or some facsimile thereof. 

10 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

In one of the 3 seasons he was injured, and in two of the seasons that he started. 

The point being that, while running Qb’s are an accepted part of modern, offensive college football,  it is also shown to be able to torpedo your season if not used judiciously. Something we have recent history with. 

I don’t have a problem with us running Sam on called, designed plays. Making it the key to your short yardage rushing attack, let alone your entire ground attack, is stupid if you don’t have a 6’5” injury proof alien under center or some facsimile thereof. 

aliens-meme-original.jpg

11 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Two years from now, when Sam is a senior, one of Thompson or Rising are still around and Roschon Johnson is a RS FR, running our starter a lot will seem a lot more feasible. Right now, not so much. 

• Like 1