9.9.19 Coach Herman press conference Noon

bigup2dahorns

2 minutes ago, Snacks said:

while I almost agree...

You have to feel confident your OL (C/G) can push their DL (NG/DT)... it's probably better to give Sam the option to find a spot that looks like we're winning (or tying) and let him operate.

It usually works. this time it didn't.

You're not wrong... but if the team almost never operates from under center, that's more uncertainty, etc.

situational texas football says qb power right there...

Oh, I dunno. Situational football says misdirect and throw to a wide-open RB on the backside, who won't drop the fucking ball. And if he does drop the ball, won't hang his fucking head the rest of the game. Whatta the coaches say? "Don't let one mistake beat you twice..." Sumpin' like that.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Snacks said:

while I almost agree...

You have to feel confident your OL (C/G) can push their DL (NG/DT)... it's probably better to give Sam the option to find a spot that looks like we're winning (or tying) and let him operate.

You're not wrong... but if the team almost never operates from under center, that's more uncertainty, etc.

Perhaps, but under center, the QB can find the soft spot and tilt the blocking that direction. 

The biggest risk is the C-QB exchange, but even with a fumble recovery by LSU, you're likely looking at them having ball at the 1 instead of the 3.

Edited by DixonHur

Going to be a lot of tough questions for Herman on Orlando's D if OSU torches us like LSU did and ends up being the difference in the game again.

Need to get that shit fixed- we aren't Tech or OU. I get that we are young on that side of the ball, but Orlando needs to fit his scheme to the players we have. They were out of position all night long and Burrow made us pay.

53 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

The dude squats 550...you don't think leg drive is a strength?  Especially when you consider we'd have a couple of backs pushing him from behind.  

If we don't think we can run a QB sneak from the 1/2 yard line on 3rd down, then we need some new coaches. 

I'm not saying he can't do it, I'm saying regardless of his squats, his football running ability is based more on vision than most people seem to acknowledge. He finds creases and angles and runs past arm tackles when he has some speed. Straight pushing the pile from a stand still isn't his best attribute running. Since we don't play or practice under center, you risk a bad exchange, completely telegraph the play, and don't put your QB in the best position to leverage his best strengths as a runner. In a different system it is perfectly reasonable call, but I don't think it is the best call for our team. 

55 minutes ago, Snacks said:

while I almost agree...

This would be a good place to start...

2 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

BJ Foster out a few weeks with significant hamstring injury

Fuuuuuuck.

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

while I almost agree...

Shack’s not a very powerful blocker. If Sam lines up under center, LSU will expect sneak and probably blow Shack up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

it's probably better to give Sam the option to find a spot

This is what it boils down to. This staff, like a lot of staffs out there, feels like the highest probability play in those situations is to let Sam choose an opening to attack rather than trying to squeeze into a pre-set target or guessing where to sneak in. It's impossible to say either approach is absolutely better but I agree that I feel more comfortable watching the sneak from under center because it feels more automatic-- that is my perception, not necessarily the reality. 

Allowing players to push from behind adds to that sense of it being automatic.

To another poster's excellent point above, the RPO that never opened up a throw was the real killer in that series. It wasn't a bad call conceptually but when the throw never opened up, it ended up being a wasted down. Credit to LSU on that. Their defense was streaky around the goalline (stuffed a few, but blew the Ingram drop) but they smothered that play.

We lost, and it sucks, but it's time to go win the conference and go from there. Our playoff hopes aren't over with. LSU was a good team, and Sam carved up their DB's. Hopefully Orlando and Herman try Jamison/Cook against Rice and our young D grows up. 

If this were a Charlie Strong team, I would already be in the fetal position hoping next year doesn't get worse. I love that the entire culture has changed in 3 seasons. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Boogaloo said:

They should be in Orange, doesn't LSU wear white at home... 

LSU's actually probably going to be in purple. Their tradition, as of late, has been to wear the purple in home, non-con games that are not the home opener. They host UTSA the week before the Texas game, so this particular tradition dictates Texas in the storm trooper whites. They of course could always change that, but that's what you should expect until told otherwise.

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

We lost, and it sucks, but it's time to go win the conference and go from there. Our playoff hopes aren't over with. LSU was a good team, and Sam carved up their DB's. Hopefully Orlando and Herman try Jamison/Cook against Rice and our young D grows up. 

If this were a Charlie Strong team, I would already be in the fetal position hoping next year doesn't get worse. I love that the entire culture has changed in 3 seasons. 

This.

Thought about this as well.  Can you imagine the beatdown we would have received on Strongs watch? (Not to rag on him in an unrelated thread).

Back to Herman, we are talking about correcting 4 or 5 things. Not 45. This program is run professionally...top to bottom.  Not even close to perfect, but getting better and better. Now, I am in no way saying we jerk our coach off like agricultural and maintenance.  He has flaws. 

There are no moral victories. You win or lose. But absolutely getting your ass handed too you is a different feeling. 

We are close.

Hook'em 

Edited by BigSwingingD
  • Like 1