Dallas | BBQ

C-Man

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Welp, I picked up some Japcheddar sausage because a) it was pretty cheap and b) hopefully can be reheated a link or two at a time instead of all at once.  And sausage "keeps" better than brisket anyway.

We could probably destroy two pounds of brisket in pretty short order if we wanted to pig out, but we're mostly being good.

I'll report back.

Welp, we decided to do all five links at once, hoping they'll store alright for a couple of days.

Damned good.  I guess it's not surprising, but they reheated nicely and retained lots of good smoke flavor.  The vacpac presentation kind of had us worried that we had bought some expensive Eckrich, but the casing crisped up nice.   Also, (and unsurprisingly) greasy as fuck.  But having more than butcher paper to soak up some of the grease I think actually improved it a little.

Recommend.

Has anyone done Lunch at Terry Black's on the weekend? Curious how busy it is.   Doing an outdoor Sunday lunch/brunch with my wife's brother  and his girlfriend soon somewhere and was thinking about throwing it out there.

Edited by Skipper

On 9/30/2020 at 12:04 PM, Both Tacos said:

Anyone heard anything on this new BBQ place. Tex-Mex style.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/dallas-has-a-new-barbecue-joint-serving-brisket-tacos-and-pimento-cheese-dip/ar-BB19A413?li=BBnb7Kz

Dallas has a new barbecue joint serving brisket tacos and pimento cheese dip

By Sarah Blaskovich, The Dallas Morning News  36 mins ago

BB19zP6k.img?h=140&w=140&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

Dallas Morning News logoDallas has a new barbecue joint serving brisket tacos and pimento cheese dip

When people visit Texas, they want to eat barbecue. That’s the thinking behind Seely’s Mill, a new barbecue restaurant with Tex-Mex and Southern influences located inside the newly rebranded Beeman Hotel in Dallas.

Learn More

Both the Beeman and Seely’s Mill were named after parts of Dallas' history. The hotel is named for John Beeman, one of Dallas County’s earliest settlers. According to Dallas Morning News archives, Beeman claimed 320 acres in North Texas in the 1840s. His son-in-law, John Neely Bryan, is credited as being the founder of the city of Dallas. The new barbecue restaurant Seely’s Mill is named after a mill in Dallas County that a spokeswoman says was built by Beeman.

The Beeman Hotel and Seely’s Mill are located on Central Expressway, across the thoroughfare from Southern Methodist University. The hotel and its restaurant are intended to be a spot for visitors to experience Dallas, and Texas, all in one place.

“With everything stemming from the John Beeman name and the family, we felt it was a good time to focus on Texas barbecue,” says hotel general manager Jared Williams. “Anybody visiting from outside of Texas really doesn’t have to go far to get a taste of what Dallas is offering.”

The restaurant has an indoor and outdoor smoker, and Williams says the best way to get a taste of the restaurant’s barbecue is with the Signature Sampler: sliced brisket, pulled pork, smoked pulled chicken, burnt ends pit beans and a cheddar biscuit. The brisket comes rubbed with salt and pepper, Central Texas style, though Williams says the barbecue is meant to represent Texas as a whole, not just one region.

Plus, there are plenty of menu items with wider culinary reach. The street tacos — especially the chopped brisket with pickled jicama — take on a Tex-Mex spin. The smoked onion and pimento cheese dip leans Lowcountry. Burnt ends got their start in Kansas City but have become staples at some Texas barbecue joints.

“When you come to Texas, you either want Tex-Mex or barbecue. And we wanted to offer both,” Williams says.

And then there’s a cheeseburger, made with beef from 44 Farms, a ranch southeast of Waco that has become popular among independently-owned restaurants in the Dallas area.

Diners at Seely’s Mill will enter the hotel lobby to get to the restaurant, which is designed to feel like a modern-day saloon. Diners can also sit outside on the patio, a detached area available for those who prefer open-air seating. The barbecue menu is also available as a “knock and drop” room service option for hotel guests.

Anyone who prefers takeout — or is choosing to avoid restaurants or bars during the COVID-19 pandemic — can call the restaurant or walk inside to order, then take it to-go.

The cocktail menu has Texas, Tex-Mex and Southern roots. A spiced pecan Old Fashioned, made with praline liqueur and orange bitters, was one of the most popular drinks on opening weekend, Williams says. It comes with an orange slice frozen into one big ice cube that sits in the middle of the glass. The “skinny” serrano margarita is made with Desert Door sotol from Driftwood, Texas, a town near Austin.

“We get a lot of requests for skinny margaritas and skinny, spicy margaritas,” says Williams, whose company operates other hotels in Dallas and beyond. “The thought there was: This [margarita] goes well with your street tacos.”

They’re also selling beer flights, tequila flights and whiskey flights. The beer flight, $22, lets customers pick four options, including popular local brews such as Revolver Brewing’s Blood & Honey and Deep Ellum Brewing Co.'s Dallas Blonde.

A side room called the Rhapsody Room is intended to have a speakeasy vibe, where hotel guests and locals can go to enjoy a cocktail.

“I just envision sitting down, having a nice Old Fashioned, listening to some acoustic,” the GM says.

Seely’s Mill is at 6070 N. Central Expressway, Dallas (inside the Beeman Hotel). It opened Sept. 25, 2020.

Hell, I'll give it a shot since it's not far from me but The Beeman is a renovated/gutted/redone??? Holiday Inn.

On 9/30/2020 at 7:10 PM, Skipper said:

Has anyone done Lunch at Terry Black's on the weekend? Curious how busy it is.   Doing an outdoor Sunday lunch/brunch with my wife's brother  and his girlfriend soon somewhere and was thinking about throwing it out there.

The last few times have been during lunch during the week and it's been extremely empty. This weekend is going to be beautiful, though, so this probably doesn't help. There is a LOT of outdoor seating, including on the roof, I think.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Does it have a Holidome?  That is some magical childhood memory shit right there...staying at a Holiday Inn that had a Holidome

Holidome in OKC for a baseball tourney every year growing. Great times!

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Does it have a Holidome?  That is some magical childhood memory shit right there...staying at a Holiday Inn that had a Holidome

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

It has a decent to nasty indoor pool. The whole building smells like cigarettes. They should tear it down. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2020 at 12:24 PM, C-Man said:

Heim Love Field goes live 10/2

Make that 10/22...

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaurant-news/2020/10/19/heim-barbecue-sets-opening-date-for-first-dallas-restaurant-oct-22/

When I went and got it from their food truck the last time (September 27), I asked them when they were opening and they said "hopefully this week".  I looked at the large window behind me where you could see into the dining room that looked like it still had a TON of finish out left to do and when I turned back to the truck with a bewildered look on my face, they said, "yeah I know"

8 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Make that 10/22...

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaurant-news/2020/10/19/heim-barbecue-sets-opening-date-for-first-dallas-restaurant-oct-22/

When I went and got it from their food truck the last time (September 27), I asked them when they were opening and they said "hopefully this week".  I looked at the large window behind me where you could see into the dining room that looked like it still had a TON of finish out left to do and when I turned back to the truck with a bewildered look on my face, they said, "yeah I know"

Got that notification on FB this morning. Sounds like they were all set to open 10/2 but there was some additional issues with the city. Who knows? Really, who cares? I'll be sure and hit it up at some point in the first few days of opening.

• 2 weeks later...

This may not be news to you guys but I just heard about this today. Kelli Rasberry's (from the Kidd Kraddick show) husband Allen started a bbq restaurant on Greenville over by the pluckers. Opens November 6th and only about fifteen minutes from me  so I'll give it a go for sure. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGiNoDslGN8/?igshid=5yu7gpite73e

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

This may not be news to you guys but I just heard about this today. Kelli Rasberry's (from the Kidd Kraddick show) husband Allen started a bbq restaurant on Greenville over by the pluckers. Opens November 6th and only about fifteen minutes from me  so I'll give it a go for sure. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGiNoDslGN8/?igshid=5yu7gpite73e

Damn that’s a lot of Instagram posts for a place that’s not even open yet

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to Heim (Mockingbird) three times now -- once to the food truck before it opened and then have picked up food to twice in the last couple of weeks. Looks like the lines have died down. I went in about 12:40 or so today and was behind about a half-dozen groups ordering. Is it as good as Cattleack or Terry Black's or even Pecan Lodge? Probably not -- but it's about 5 minutes from my house so it's infinitely more convenient than anything else near me. Here's what I've gotten so far:

• Brisket -- very, very good and on par with the other Dallas heavyweights -- got brisket sandwich once and the bun is terrific
  • Jap/cheese sausage -- fantastic, have gotten this every time I've been (want to try the pepperjack at some point)
  • Turkey -- meh, moist enough but it seems to lack flavor
  • Bacon burnt ends -- people rave about these and they're good but I only want a bite, maybe two
  • Twice-baked potato salad -- I've really enjoyed this side
  • Cole slaw -- not as "dressed" as you find at other places, you can tell it's hand-cut (or is high-quality pre-cut/bagged) and more vinegar dressing -- I like it
  • Fries -- one thing I like about Heim is they've got a lot to offer in addition to BBQ (fried potato skins, corn dogs, onion rings, burgers, etc) and these are tasty too
  • Onion rings -- beer-battered and very State Fair-tasting

I need to try the burger and I hear the breakfast tacos are really good. I'd slot it behind Cattleack and Terry Black's but probably even (if not better) than Pecan Lodge, which has slipped a bit IMO. The location is perfect and it's open in the evenings. There's a full bar with about 5-6 stools and a big TV so you can sit and watch CFB or the Masters.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Had Oak’d today, new joint on middle(?) Greenville. Hate to say it but it kinda suck’d (not entirely but I couldn’t pass up the chance to use that line).

Brisket was ok but unremarkable. Black pepper Sausage same. Issue was by the time I sat down the food temp was like it had sat under an ac vent for 20 minutes, and there wasn’t a line to check out either so it wasn’t a delay. Really strange and saw a Yelp review mention the same.

Got a side of fries, ok, nothing special but cost $5.

No white bread offered, tried both regular and Carolina sauce, neither moved the needle. Carolina was extremely mustardy.

Half lb brisket, sausage link, and fries cost $30. Everybody was nice and it’s a decent setup inside. A lot of dessert options too.

On 11/12/2020 at 2:31 PM, C-Man said:

Probably not -- but it's about 5 minutes from my house so it's infinitely more convenient than anything else near me. Here's what I've gotten so far:

You're lucky.  If anyone with any skill at all would open a decent BBQ place east of Dallas, they'd make a buck.  I live on the border of Rowlett/Rockwall.  There is nothing close.  I know there's Smoke Sessions in Royce City.  I wasn't a fan and it's still a good 20 mins from me.  If I had a Heim, Cattleack, Pecan Lodge, etc... closer to me, life would be great.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

You're lucky.  If anyone with any skill at all would open a decent BBQ place east of Dallas, they'd make a buck.  I live on the border of Rowlett/Rockwall.  There is nothing close.  I know there's Smoke Sessions in Royce City.  I wasn't a fan and it's still a good 20 mins from me.  If I had a Heim, Cattleack, Pecan Lodge, etc... closer to me, life would be great.

Don’t you dare try to make our cattleack into a chain

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Have you tried Big Daddy’s?  It’s on 78 right in between Lavon and Ray Hubbard.  It has been a LONG time since I’ve been there,  but I recall it being  above average.  5-10 years is an eternity in the bbq world, so who knows if it is still good, but probably worth a shot.

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:
8 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:
Have you tried Big Daddy’s?  It’s on 78 right in between Lavon and Ray Hubbard.  It has been a LONG time since I’ve been there,  but I recall it being significantly above average.

I heard they are closing at the end of this month. Gas station bought the property.

Live close to Big Daddy’s. Nothing great, nothing bad. Very avg. 

So went to Hutchins McKinney today. 

Had new sausage. ( Never had a cheese jap I liked. Personal preference)

It was a spicy brisket sausage. Texture was definitely a chopped brisket style. Was a 5 on my hot scale which is raw japs is usually good enough. 
Casing wouldn’t slice real good but my utensils were plastic so what you going to do. 

Will stick with regular sliced brisket from now on but if you are a big sausage fan you might like it. 

It was a spicy brisket sausage. Texture was definitely a chopped brisket style. Was a 5 on my hot scale which is raw japs is usually good enough. 
Casing wouldn’t slice real good but my utensils were plastic so what you going to do. 

Will stick with regular sliced brisket from now on but if you are a big sausage fan you might like it. 
Did you get one of their Brisket twinkies?

3 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:
7 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

Read more  

Did you get one of their Brisket twinkies?

Dude. Does the pope wear a funny hat? I may have to neg for such a silly question. 
Going to heat 1 and some burnt ends for dinner. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 2:31 PM, C-Man said:

I've been to Heim (Mockingbird) three times now -- once to the food truck before it opened and then have picked up food to twice in the last couple of weeks. Looks like the lines have died down. I went in about 12:40 or so today and was behind about a half-dozen groups ordering. Is it as good as Cattleack or Terry Black's or even Pecan Lodge? Probably not -- but it's about 5 minutes from my house so it's infinitely more convenient than anything else near me. Here's what I've gotten so far:

• Brisket -- very, very good and on par with the other Dallas heavyweights -- got brisket sandwich once and the bun is terrific
  • Jap/cheese sausage -- fantastic, have gotten this every time I've been (want to try the pepperjack at some point)
  • Turkey -- meh, moist enough but it seems to lack flavor
  • Bacon burnt ends -- people rave about these and they're good but I only want a bite, maybe two
  • Twice-baked potato salad -- I've really enjoyed this side
  • Cole slaw -- not as "dressed" as you find at other places, you can tell it's hand-cut (or is high-quality pre-cut/bagged) and more vinegar dressing -- I like it
  • Fries -- one thing I like about Heim is they've got a lot to offer in addition to BBQ (fried potato skins, corn dogs, onion rings, burgers, etc) and these are tasty too
  • Onion rings -- beer-battered and very State Fair-tasting

I need to try the burger and I hear the breakfast tacos are really good. I'd slot it behind Cattleack and Terry Black's but probably even (if not better) than Pecan Lodge, which has slipped a bit IMO. The location is perfect and it's open in the evenings. There's a full bar with about 5-6 stools and a big TV so you can sit and watch CFB or the Masters.

Heim's number one enemy is consistency. I used to go to their magnolia location all the time and it was either really good or really bad. Didn't help that their cashiers had terrible customer service skills too. I'll have to give the mockingbird location a try. Hopefully they fixed the issue.

11 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

You need to try 4T's in Forney. It's really good. Pecan Lodge has gone way down hill, so much so that I don't consider them a player in DFW anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Shaddie said:

Live close to Big Daddy’s. Nothing great, nothing bad. Very avg. 

I had it once and thought it was pretty good.  Ironically, it was after I had just picked up a smoker, which is the only reason I found myself in that neck of the woods.  I’ll defer to the local opinion, but it sounds like that won’t matter soon.

4 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Heim's number one enemy is consistency. I used to go to their magnolia location all the time and it was either really good or really bad. Didn't help that their cashiers had terrible customer service skills too. I'll have to give the mockingbird location a try. Hopefully they fixed the issue.

You need to try 4T's in Forney. It's really good. Pecan Lodge has gone way down hill, so much so that I don't consider them a player in DFW anymore. 

I haven't been to Pecan Lodge in over a year and this has been my experience of late. With Terry Black's down the street, not sure I see any reason to go to PL over TB's.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Does anyone know anything about Sugarfire BBQ that just opened in Lake Highlands?  I believe a St. Louis based chain.    If it approaches Rudy's level that would be a win.  Would be great to have something decent and close to pick up without any hassle.

Well I don’t think a St. Louis place will ever be as good as Rudy’s.  Unless you like that kind of thing.

On 9/30/2020 at 12:04 PM, Both Tacos said:

Anyone heard anything on this new BBQ place. Tex-Mex style.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/dallas-has-a-new-barbecue-joint-serving-brisket-tacos-and-pimento-cheese-dip/ar-BB19A413?li=BBnb7Kz

Dallas has a new barbecue joint serving brisket tacos and pimento cheese dip

By Sarah Blaskovich, The Dallas Morning News  36 mins ago

BB19zP6k.img?h=140&w=140&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

Dallas Morning News logoDallas has a new barbecue joint serving brisket tacos and pimento cheese dip

When people visit Texas, they want to eat barbecue. That’s the thinking behind Seely’s Mill, a new barbecue restaurant with Tex-Mex and Southern influences located inside the newly rebranded Beeman Hotel in Dallas.

Learn More

Both the Beeman and Seely’s Mill were named after parts of Dallas' history. The hotel is named for John Beeman, one of Dallas County’s earliest settlers. According to Dallas Morning News archives, Beeman claimed 320 acres in North Texas in the 1840s. His son-in-law, John Neely Bryan, is credited as being the founder of the city of Dallas. The new barbecue restaurant Seely’s Mill is named after a mill in Dallas County that a spokeswoman says was built by Beeman.

The Beeman Hotel and Seely’s Mill are located on Central Expressway, across the thoroughfare from Southern Methodist University. The hotel and its restaurant are intended to be a spot for visitors to experience Dallas, and Texas, all in one place.

“With everything stemming from the John Beeman name and the family, we felt it was a good time to focus on Texas barbecue,” says hotel general manager Jared Williams. “Anybody visiting from outside of Texas really doesn’t have to go far to get a taste of what Dallas is offering.”

The restaurant has an indoor and outdoor smoker, and Williams says the best way to get a taste of the restaurant’s barbecue is with the Signature Sampler: sliced brisket, pulled pork, smoked pulled chicken, burnt ends pit beans and a cheddar biscuit. The brisket comes rubbed with salt and pepper, Central Texas style, though Williams says the barbecue is meant to represent Texas as a whole, not just one region.

Plus, there are plenty of menu items with wider culinary reach. The street tacos — especially the chopped brisket with pickled jicama — take on a Tex-Mex spin. The smoked onion and pimento cheese dip leans Lowcountry. Burnt ends got their start in Kansas City but have become staples at some Texas barbecue joints.

“When you come to Texas, you either want Tex-Mex or barbecue. And we wanted to offer both,” Williams says.

And then there’s a cheeseburger, made with beef from 44 Farms, a ranch southeast of Waco that has become popular among independently-owned restaurants in the Dallas area.

Diners at Seely’s Mill will enter the hotel lobby to get to the restaurant, which is designed to feel like a modern-day saloon. Diners can also sit outside on the patio, a detached area available for those who prefer open-air seating. The barbecue menu is also available as a “knock and drop” room service option for hotel guests.

Anyone who prefers takeout — or is choosing to avoid restaurants or bars during the COVID-19 pandemic — can call the restaurant or walk inside to order, then take it to-go.

The cocktail menu has Texas, Tex-Mex and Southern roots. A spiced pecan Old Fashioned, made with praline liqueur and orange bitters, was one of the most popular drinks on opening weekend, Williams says. It comes with an orange slice frozen into one big ice cube that sits in the middle of the glass. The “skinny” serrano margarita is made with Desert Door sotol from Driftwood, Texas, a town near Austin.

“We get a lot of requests for skinny margaritas and skinny, spicy margaritas,” says Williams, whose company operates other hotels in Dallas and beyond. “The thought there was: This [margarita] goes well with your street tacos.”

They’re also selling beer flights, tequila flights and whiskey flights. The beer flight, $22, lets customers pick four options, including popular local brews such as Revolver Brewing’s Blood & Honey and Deep Ellum Brewing Co.'s Dallas Blonde.

A side room called the Rhapsody Room is intended to have a speakeasy vibe, where hotel guests and locals can go to enjoy a cocktail.

“I just envision sitting down, having a nice Old Fashioned, listening to some acoustic,” the GM says.

Seely’s Mill is at 6070 N. Central Expressway, Dallas (inside the Beeman Hotel). It opened Sept. 25, 2020.

is this longcatting for anyone else?

On 11/15/2020 at 1:11 PM, C-Man said:

Peggy Sue's is coming back thanks to the same folks that revived NY Subs.

holy hell this is the best post I have ever read on surly.  now if they can just bring back ball’s. 

nothing comes up about peggy sue coming back on a google search.  do you know people?

Edited by futureman
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/14/2020 at 7:15 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Not really close to you, but it meets the East of Dallas requirement, 4-T's BBQ in Forney it fantastic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, futureman said:

holy hell this is the best post I have ever read on surly.  now if they can just bring back ball’s. 

nothing comes up about peggy sue coming back on a google search.  do you know people?

Andrew Kelly announced it on Park Cities Chatter group on FB. Looks like it's going to be called Peggy Sue's Market and will offer to-go meals and catering at first.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Skipper said:

Does anyone know anything about Sugarfire BBQ that just opened in Lake Highlands?  I believe a St. Louis based chain.    If it approaches Rudy's level that would be a win.  Would be great to have something decent and close to pick up without any hassle.

I've seen that guy on Food Network or something.

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

same location?

Initially, I assumed it would be. I just went and looked on that thread and it appears that it will be in a different location. I'll let you know when I find out.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, futureman said:

same location?

Well, prepare to be a little underwhelmed. For the time being, they're setting up shop behind (or on the side of NY Subs). They're going to put the pit there and have some sort of structure built. You'll be able to pick up meals to go -- pick sides and meats for X amount of people and so on. They're also doing catering. The longtime cashier/manager Toya (I think?) is somehow involved. But it won't quite be the same as before. They kicked around using the current spot but Snider Plaza is a fucked up place with fucked up tenants/owners.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Well, prepare to be a little underwhelmed. For the time being, they're setting up shop behind (or on the side of NY Subs). They're going to put the pit there and have some sort of structure built. You'll be able to pick up meals to go -- pick sides and meats for X amount of people and so on. They're also doing catering. The longtime cashier/manager Toya (I think?) is somehow involved. But it won't quite be the same as before. They kicked around using the current spot but Snider Plaza is a fucked up place with fucked up tenants/owners.

I have been close to Toya for a long time.  Heath, too, but he hasn’t been there as much in recent years.  I’m gonna give her a call.  2020 is finally looking up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, futureman said:

I have been close to Toya for a long time.  Heath, too, but he hasn’t been there as much in recent years.  I’m gonna give her a call.  2020 is finally looking up. 

Don’t you live in Austin?

And holy shit y’all must have had a much different experience than I had at Peggy Sue’s last time I ate there.  It was god awful 

40 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Don’t you live in Austin?

I spent the first half of my life in dallas.  lived nearby and went all the time growing up, still went whenever I was back in dallas.  I went to UT for college and never came back.  toya and heath and my mom are thick as thieves.  I’ve gotten closer to them as I’ve gotten older. 

Edited by futureman

1 hour ago, Both Tacos said:
2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:
Friend of mine's daughter had a bball game in Mesquite.  We chose Shorty's over 4 T's.  It was inedible, which is weird because it gets good reviews.

So does Dickey's. I rarely go with public reviews.

Especially when it comes to BBQ.  I swear it’s the one food that either you’ve had the good stuff and know what you’re talking about or you haven’t and you don’t.

One of my best friends made the pick.  He generally knows his shit.  He did some punch card thing (Texas Monthly?) where he was able to hit all but something like 3 of the Top 50 or 100 in the state.  (Sorry, forgot the specifics.) As noted on another thread, I'm pretty damn FAR from a food snob.  I'll generally eat anything that I know has been cooked all the way.  This bbq was - quite literally - chewy like some sort of meat taffy.  

Coopers by the Stock Yards, was the only other BBQ that I've had issues with.  I got brisket, beef ribs, and something else.  The first two items were so overly salted, I couldn't finish them.