Formula One 2020

wood

23 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Stroll should thank God that he’s a member of the lucky sperm club. He sucks. 

22 hours ago, 52-80 said:

He's been neck to neck with Perez this year, I dont think hes the worst driver on the grid

This race validates my point and invalidates yours. Stroll gets 2 penalties and is in last place. Perez is in an incident early and drops to last but works his way up to 5th. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

This race validates my point and invalidates yours. Stroll gets 2 penalties and is in last place. Perez is in an incident early and drops to last but works his way up to 5th. 

and your explanation for the rest of the season?

29 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

and your explanation for the rest of the season?

image.png

1 hour ago, texas08 said:

Watching replay.

Verstappen is fucking unlikeable as hell.

Dude turns into a little punk as soon as he feels any pressure. Perez had his ass beat and that dude just cut him off. Fuck you Max.

Nevermind in practice stroll was half a car ahead of max, which gave him the right to the corner, then mad plowed straight ahead, causing a collision, and then he cussed out stroll

He and his dad are real pieces of work

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

DRS zone should be shorter on that straight. Passing was inevitable. 

Yeah, agreed. I'm not a huge DRS fan anyway, but definitely needed to be shortened there. I did like the fact you could race through the corners, though, and the elevation changes.

On 10/24/2020 at 7:44 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

Watching P3. Just make the white line the limits of the track. For every track

It already is the limit. It's just enforced randomly and bizarrely. Like using the white line on Friday for 3 turns and then changing two of those to the kerbs, while not enforcing it at all anywhere else on the track. What a fucking joke.

On 10/24/2020 at 7:55 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

Too much fiddling around with this. Just make a decision and stick with it. 

There should be no decision to make. It's been made, in the rules. The fact that they let Masi just selectively enforce it at certain turns on certain tracks or designate a completely different limit is just mind-blowing. Imagine an NFL head ref announcing before a game that you have to stay in bounds on the left sideline and the east end zone, but not anywhere else, or a baseball crew chief declaring before the game the they'd only be enforcing the right foul line, and on the left side anything up to the sideline warning track is fair.

On 10/25/2020 at 4:03 PM, texas08 said:

Dude turns into a little punk as soon as he feels any pressure. Perez had his ass beat and that dude just cut him off. Fuck you Max.

He didn't 'cut Checo off'. He was forced wide by Bottas, which changed his line through the next corner, changing his exit line as well. Typical lap 1 chaos ... which is why it was ruled a racing incident.

Edited by wood

30 minutes ago, wood said:

He didn't 'cut Checo off'. He was forced wide by Bottas, which changed his line through the next corner, changing his exit line as well. Typical lap 1 chaos ... which is why it was ruled a racing 

If it happens on any other lap of the race it's a 5 second penalty. Just because it happened on the 1st lap it somehow absolves Max of responsibility for causing Perez's spin. Max is a bitch, supremely talented, but a bitch nonetheless 

1 minute ago, Kdub said:

If it happens on any other lap of the race it's a 5 second penalty. Just because it happened on the 1st lap it somehow absolves Max of responsibility for causing Perez's spin. Max is a bitch, supremely talented, but a bitch nonetheless 

I'm not gonna argue about his personality, and I'm a big Checo fan, but that incident is rarely if ever going to draw a penalty given three cars in that situation with one forcing another wide and a third coming from behind right as the wide car exits the corner on a compromised line. 

15 hours ago, wood said:

Bottas is not one of the best drivers.

I agree he's not #2 or #3, but do you actually think he's out of the top 7 (or 8 which is what fastbreak actually listed)?  I'm not sure who else I'd add in above him from the rest of the field?  Maybe Lando?  I dunno.

Certainly not Grosjean or KMag or Kvyat or Strol or Vettel or (sadly) Kimi, these days.  But I guess with all that said, saying he's a "middle of the pack guy" in a fantastic car would be appropriate.

15 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I agree he's not #2 or #3, but do you actually think he's out of the top 7 (or 8 which is what fastbreak actually listed)?  I'm not sure who else I'd add in above him from the rest of the field?  Maybe Lando?  I dunno.

Certainly not Grosjean or KMag or Kvyat or Strol or Vettel or (sadly) Kimi, these days.  But I guess with all that said, saying he's a "middle of the pack guy" in a fantastic car would be appropriate.

I should have been clearer in that he's not anywhere near #2, where he's listed there.

I'd definitely put Lewis, Alonso (next year), Max, RIC, LEC, VET ahead of Bottas. Probably Perez, Norris, & Sainz, too. Maybe even a motivated Kimi.

After that, there's a big tier of mid-pack guys who are kinda lumped together, so yeah, I agree with your assessment of him in that last sentence. He's an "excellent wingman" for Lewis.

19 minutes ago, wood said:

I should have been clearer in that he's not anywhere near #2, where he's listed there.

I'd definitely put Lewis, Alonso (next year), Max, RIC, LEC, VET ahead of Bottas. Probably Perez, Norris, & Sainz, too. Maybe even a motivated Kimi.

After that, there's a big tier of mid-pack guys who are kinda lumped together, so yeah, I agree with your assessment of him in that last sentence. He's an "excellent wingman" for Lewis.

And I don't think a top tier driver aside Lewis at Merc would work well, anyway.  We saw what happened when Nico was challenging him, there was some pretty ugly stuff going on.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

And I don't think a top tier driver aside Lewis at Merc would work well, anyway.  We saw what happened when Nico was challenging him, there was some pretty ugly stuff going on.  

Nope. It wouldn't. That's why Bottas is there. They want a #2, not a #1A.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

What's more interesting to me, is speculating how Lewis would do in a lesser car.  Put him the in RBR instead of Max, and how many times can he beat the Merc?  I'm willing to bet it's more often than Max does, but does he win enough to win the WDC in the RBR?  

Obviously there's no way to know, it's just an interesting thought exercise.  

17 minutes ago, utee94 said:

What's more interesting to me, is speculating how Lewis would do in a lesser car.  Put him the in RBR instead of Max, and how many times can he beat the Merc?  I'm willing to bet it's more often than Max does, but does he win enough to win the WDC in the RBR?  

Obviously there's no way to know, it's just an interesting thought exercise.  

I don't see any way in hell that happens. That car is utterly dominant. Lewis is quick, but not that quick.

2 minutes ago, wood said:

I don't see any way in hell that happens. That car is utterly dominant. Lewis is quick, but not that quick.

It'd be a great test though, wouldn't it?

How much fun to just tell Lewis today "Oh by the way, you're racing in the Red Bull this weekend, and Ricciardo has your seat in the Merc."

I'd pay good money to see that! :)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

It'd be a great test though, wouldn't it?

How much fun to just tell Lewis today "Oh by the way, you're racing in the Red Bull this weekend, and Ricciardo has your seat in the Merc."

I'd pay good money to see that! :)

It would be interesting, with probably a very similar outcome, just with a different driver in the Merc. We've seen before what Lewis does when he's not in the fastest car ... pretty much the same thing the other guys do - lose.

What is with the compressed schedule this weekend? Only one practice session before quali tomorrow.

I'm kinda ok with the guys having less practice, might make for some shake ups. Kimi the only guy who has driven this track in F1 if I'm not mistaken.

22 minutes ago, mcbrisket said:

What is with the compressed schedule this weekend? Only one practice session before quali tomorrow.

I'm kinda ok with the guys having less practice, might make for some shake ups. Kimi the only guy who has driven this track in F1 if I'm not mistaken.

They said it was because of the difficulty of getting the trucks from Portimao to Imola in time to do a normal weekend, but I think they were also looking for any possible excuse to try this experiment. Personally, I really like Friday and miss it. I like the buildup and the tempo increasing throughout the weekend, from a slower start on Friday... and I like the extra track time. When I'm attending in person, Friday is the best day for me. Three hours of hot track, hardly any crowd, at least here in Austin, very cheap, etc. 

I do think less running time might make it a little more unpredictable, but if that's what they want, imho they'd be better off leaving the schedule unchanged and reducing the amount of data acquisition the teams can do via the airwaves, thus cutting into the crazy amount of simulation they do.