Formula One 2020

wood

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a34256302/f1-steward-answers-criticism-over-lewis-hamilton-penalty-in-russia/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_aut&utm_medium=email&date=100420&utm_campaign=nl21692903&utm_term=AUT_Autoweek_Weekend_Racing_Wrapup_Newsletter_Subscribers

Former F1 driver and one of the stewards for the F1 Russian Grand Prix, Mika Salo says that he thought Lewis Hamilton's penalties at Sochi were a bit harsh.

Salo came under fire this past week after Hamilton and his fans accused the governing body of unfairly targeting the six-time world champion. Salo was also criticized for allegedly leaking information about the penalties to a Finnish broadcaster.

AMUS reporting a few things today. In summary:

-The team principles want a meeting after Portugal to discuss fast tracking a new, simpler engine formula, as early as 2023.- It would keep the same V6 (no mention of higher fuel flow / twin turbo) and maintain a hybrid element, which would be a more powerful KERS like solution (presumably this means removing the MGU-H)- The FIA want to stop development of the current PU's but a complete freeze is out of the question due to the performance variances (i.e. Ferrari being behind).

https://t.co/F9V4Vi0jUV?amp=1

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Yeah, I doubt this is related to the positive test results, but who knows ... we've been wondering why Lewis has a mask with an exhalation valve, as that basically eliminates a mask's ability to protect others. I wonder if this is common within the team and within the paddock. There are probably others using them, but the only one I've seen is Lewis.

Another textbook drive by Hamilton, good job by Verstappen to grab the fastest lap (6/1000ths!), great job by Hulk to grab some points. Red Bull guys giving Danny Ric a hand is cool.

Felt like VSC could have been used like they did for the prior incident.

Really great moment with Mick

3 of the 4 seats in RBR/AT are set. Max is a lock and I feel like Gasly has been improving enough to keep that seat. I would assume Kvyat is out because he's not getting better and afaik doesn't have a contract for next year. Albon should probably go back to the junior team to get more work in. He's not lighting the world on fire like Max did but he's also gotten fucked by messing with Hamilton at the wrong time.

How did Alonso's test ert "filming" day go?

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

How did Alonso's test ert "filming" day go?

Dunno how it went on the track time-wise, but he seems pretty happy with it. Good video here. More running tomorrow, I think. He also dropped a hint about a helmet change for 2021 there at the end...

Edited by wood

5 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

I'd take Perez over Hulk personally.

Me, too.

6 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I assumed Perez was the better driver than Hulk.  Hulk just cheaper or maybe a lesser threat to Max?

Nationality might have something to do with it. I guess?

I can't imagine Hulk being much cheaper, if at all, than Perez. Perez has big backing (Carlos Slim big).

On 10/13/2020 at 2:54 PM, wood said:

Dunno how it went on the track time-wise, but he seems pretty happy with it. Good video here. More running tomorrow, I think. He also dropped a hint about a helmet change for 2021 there at the end...

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a34361969/fernandos-back-alonso-drives-in-filming-day-for-renault-ahead-of-2021-return-to-f1/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_aut&utm_medium=email&date=101320&utm_campaign=nl21778691&utm_term=AUT_Autoweek_Racing_Daily_Newsletter_Subscribers

Autoweek had a little story about it as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a34402898/lewis-hamilton-concerned-new-f1-circuit-in-rio-would-mean-cutting-down-trees/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_aut&utm_medium=email&date=101820&utm_campaign=nl21829464&utm_term=AUT_Autoweek_Weekend_Racing_Wrapup_Newsletter_Subscribers

Six-time Formula 1 champion Lewis Hamilton is concerned that organizers of a proposed new race circuit in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, are not seeing the forest from the trees.

A group hoping to take the Brazilian Grand Prix away from traditional stop Interlagos has unveiled plans for a Rio Motorpark circuit to be constructed in the Camboata Forest. The layout would reportedly call for the removal of thousands of trees.

a lot of cognitive dissonance in formula 1.

i mean yes its great you care about the rainforest.  but also you literally jet around the globe with an entire army of staff and heavy equipment to race cars in russia, china, and abu dhabi....

half of you live in the glitziest place on earth, but mostly to skirt taxes in your home jurisdiction

just dispense with the bullshit

Edited by 52-80
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

a lot of cognitive dissonance in formula 1.

i mean yes its great you care about the rainforest.  but also you literally jet around the globe with an entire army of staff and heavy equipment to race cars in russia, china, and abu dhabi....

half of you live in the glitziest place on earth, but mostly to skirt taxes in your home jurisdiction

just dispense with the bullshit

Yeah, F1 is possibly the least environmentally sensitive major sport in the world.

Aside from what you already stated, just think about all those tires that they manufacture, haul around, use for 10-20 laps, and then dispose of.  L

Both Haas drivers ... OUT. Bout time. Perez and Mick incoming?

And re: Lance Stroll, has this been the protocol all along - testing on Tuesday and then Sunday, with no isolation between tests? If so ... holy crap.

Other sports are doing daily testing and still having problems. I've been wondering how F1 thinks just testing at the start of the weekend is going to be effective. A person can be infected for 5 days or more before the test will even detect the virus, and longer than that before showing symptoms. The Stroll case is a perfect example. If he had symptoms already on Saturday morning, then he was already infected well before he arrived and got the initial screening, which turned out negative. 

Stroll underwent a COVID-19 test on the Tuesday ahead of the Eifel Grand Prix, meaning he could enter the paddock on Thursday and Friday before pulling out of the race weekend on Saturday.
It led to questions over a potential loophole in the FIA's protocols that only require paddock personnel to undergo testing every five days - around the same time of COVID-19's incubation period before symptoms can start to show.
But Masi stressed the onus of getting tested when showing symptoms lay entirely on the competitors, and that nothing had been reported to the FIA since Stroll's negative test on the Tuesday.
"No, we don't feel there is any loophole," said Masi. "The requirement for Lance, or any other attendee on that matter, there are the various time requirements to test prior to entering the paddock, and then the follow up testing from that point.
"Based on the Tuesday test, his next test would have been Sunday morning to fulfil the requirements of the FIA COVID protocol. So that one is quite simple.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-says-stroll-illness-hasnt-exposed-covid-testing-loophole/4894709/?ic_source=home-page-widget&ic_medium=widget&ic_campaign=widget-6

If he was tested on Tuesday and then Thursday or Friday upon entry, that's only a 2 or 3 day gap between tests. The way I've understood it, that's not enough. A person could easily have the virus and would likely test negative both times in such a scenario. The way I understand it, if you're getting tested prior to entering the paddock on Thursday, in order to be considered "covid-free" you'd also need a negative test 5 days prior to that, and isolation between tests. For example, in order for someone to enter the bubble on Thursday they'd need to test negative on the prior Saturday, then isolate until Thursday and test negative again in order to be considered truly covid-negative.

Edited by wood