CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

8 hours ago, Bravo said:

French truckers checkmate. 

French strikes are frequent and generally have very specific demands, and well-defined start/stop dates. Even student strikes are organized like moon-landings. Hell, there's probably a union in charge of the workers laying out the roadblocks who is coordinating with the truckers' union.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I still to this can't believe we're bitching about wearing a piece of cloth over our faces. We are a nation of fucking toddlers. Just the weakest of the weak

What data point would you use to decide it was okay for a school district to switch to masks optional?

5 hours ago, tchookem said:
6 hours ago, Immaculate Vibes said:
Here you go buddy. Young minorities disproportionately harmed. 

Congrats to all the teacher’s unions out there and the Dem politicians beholden to them. 

Do you think if any politician listened to educators, that our education system would have any of the issues it has? Nobody is listening to teacher's unions... about anything.

Um...yeah, that's not correct.  The CDC reportedly solicited advice from the AFT and also asked for input in policies from that union...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10365805/Controversial-teachers-union-president-Randi-Weingarten-says-mild-COVID.html

Edited by pearlandhorn

Um...yeah, that's not correct.  The CDC reportedly solicited advice from the AFT and also asked for input in policies from that union...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10365805/Controversial-teachers-union-president-Randi-Weingarten-says-mild-COVID.html
That's a story about a lady getting COVID. I guess it mentions "input" in passing, but nothing in that article should make anyone think teachers unions have any sway in anything.

17 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I don't think we're talking about the same thing

We might be.  There aren't many places where masks are actually mandated.  Schools are one of them, which makes masks a point of contention for some people.  That content bleeds out into society.

I think if you make masks optional at schools, you'll eliminate a lot of the overall bitching about masks.

I asked you what you think a good metric would be to allow masks to be optional instead of mandated because the school districts have not provided much insight into when that would be.  Curious what your take would be.

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

It is always funny hearing the loudly voiced opinions of the posters that don't have children on such matters as schooling and school covid policies. 

No you misunderstand me - I'm saying that's the view of the MAGA faithful. They don't give a shit about knowledge, they want their crotch goblins out of their hair

• Hook 'Em 2

It is always funny hearing the loudly voiced opinions of the posters that don't have children on such matters as schooling and school covid policies. 
What's even funnier is hearing the opinions of parents that haven't the foggiest idea what school COVID policies actually look like in practice.

Just now, tchookem said:
8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

What's even funnier is hearing the opinions of parents that haven't the foggiest idea what school COVID policies actually look like in practice.

My kids' middle school still has plexiglass dividers up in the cafeteria.  

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Maybe you should talk to more people in real life buddy. 

I've got a bunch of friends that are teachers -  from their first hand experience, parents by and large don't give a shit about their kids education if they're in the lower middle class or lower. They don't have time to think about it between trying to keep a roof over their head and all the rest of life's problems. Help with homework? Fuck that - mom and dad have to work a double shift for $12-15 and hour and then go run some GrubHub orders afterwards.

Maybe you should step out of your bubble and stop sucking off the teat of inflated medical pricing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

28 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Absolutely. Captain, Biff etc etc 

I have 3. Y'all can go right on and fuck off.  

I can't imagine someone being so dense as to not see the blatant hypocrisy of blaming covid policies on the teachers while also demanding kids be in school. 

Edited by Dahobbs

15 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I've got a bunch of friends that are teachers -  from their first hand experience, parents by and large don't give a shit about their kids education if they're in the lower middle class or lower. They don't have time to think about it between trying to keep a roof over their head and all the rest of life's problems.

You are all over the place. You started with MAGA and landed on something you describe as lower middles class (but is actually sub middle class). Housing security, among a variety of others things, is a key component of the American middle class. And it is shrinking continually.  

Look.  The school debate is largely over.  No serious people think that school should be virtual.  Some serious and some non-serious people debate about mandatory masking. Leave it to the teachers in the class rooms, the students, and the student's parents to figure out. Where they land may vary based on a number of factors, but this isn't August 2020. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Look.  The school debate is largely over.  No serious people think that school should be virtual.  Some serious and some non-serious people debate about mandatory masking. Leave it to the teachers in the class rooms, the students, and the student's parents to figure out. Where they land may vary based on a number of factors, but this isn't August 2020. 

I don't have an issue with that opinion. I do have an issue with certain folks blaming evil teacher's unions for everything. It's fucking pathetic. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I don't have an issue with that opinion. I do have an issue with certain folks blaming evil teacher's unions for everything. It's fucking pathetic. 

I would not conflate teachers with unions as you have.

I mean, I get the rhetorical thing that you are doing, but it is pretty obvious. 

Edited by Anastasis

21 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You are all over the place. You started with MAGA and landed on something you describe as lower middles class (but is actually sub middle class). Housing security, among a variety of others things, is a key component of the American middle class. And it is shrinking continually.  

Lower/sub middle class is pretty MAGA if you'd hadn't noticed. Remember """economic anxiety""" during the 2016 campaign/election?

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Lower/sub middle class is pretty MAGA if you'd hadn't noticed. Remember """economic anxiety""" during the 2016 campaign/election?

When your teacher friends are describing their experiences with the children in their classrooms, are they talking about MAGAs?  Or are you just overlaying political rhetoric when you think it suits your purposes?

I mean teachers unions are against the taxpayer, so I have a problem with that.
If you are the kind of person that asks strangers on the internet for money, you are also the kind of person that doesn't need to concern themselves with who is and isn't against "the taxpayer".
  • Hook 'Em 7

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I think that I am following.  You conflated criticism of teacher's unions wrt covid policy with criticism of teachers. Which of course is ridiculous. 

So, (1) who do you think makes up teacher's unions? (2) do you honestly believe teacher's unions having been driving policy? And (3) what motive do you think teacher's unions have to fuck over children? 

I'm not conflating anything. I'm just recognizing and calling out shallow thinking. You see it too of course. But you can't say that here and ruin the persona you've built for yourself. 

• Like 1

I think that I am following.  You conflated criticism of teacher's unions wrt covid policy with criticism of teachers. Which of course is ridiculous. 
Personally I'm sick and tired of people acting like teachers unions have any kind of clout with regard to anything. Who they think teachers are, cops?

Criticizing a teachers" union for practically any education policy is like criticizing a student council for a school's grading policy. They are a non-entity.

*at lest in Texas.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, tchookem said:
45 minutes ago, workswithseed said:
I mean teachers unions are against the taxpayer, so I have a problem with that.

If you are the kind of person that asks strangers on the internet for money, you are also the kind of person that doesn't need to concern themselves with who is and isn't against "the taxpayer".

I'm glad you admitted they are a government entity. 

I do if I have to ask you for money because it's taken out for taxes.

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

So, (1) who do you think makes up teacher's unions? (2) do you honestly believe teacher's unions having been driving policy? And (3) what motive do you think teacher's unions have to fuck over children? 

I'm not conflating anything. I'm just recognizing and calling out shallow thinking. You see it too of course. But you can't say that here and ruin the persona you've built for yourself. 

1) I think the more liberal minded teachers that predominate in liberal states do make up their unions. 

2) It’s Saturday night and I’m having some wine with dinner later so I don’t feel like pulling up the links of unions driving policy. Suffice it to say before Covid nobody knew the head of AFT. She’s known now because she’s out doing interviews all the time and trying to shape opinion. 

3) They’re scared. Please see polling showing how Dems brains have been scrambled by media coverage with regards to Covid risk. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

In this case, I am taking to you. If you think the bolded has in any way been part of the equation, then you really haven't paying attention.