CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

51 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

You don't get to shut down an international bridge and disrupt another country's auto industry without consequences.

You think they’re freezing funds because of the Ambassador Bridge closure? That would appear to be wrong. They froze the GoFundMe before that bridge was even involved. 

https://nypost.com/2022/02/07/gofundmes-10m-shutdown-of-canadian-truckers-shows-its-time-to-rein-in-big-tech/

https://www.newsweek.com/detroit-bridge-closed-first-time-decades-over-canada-covid-protest-1677237

11 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Hopefully AISD does this soon. At the very least let them take them off when playing outside? I was happy they had the rule. It's time to start heading out of it.

15 hours ago, Bravo said:

I'll be fair. Before. 

Cool. BMI at doctor's visit a week ago was 26.

Right before the pandemic it was 30, so naturally I thought I was "healthy." Doc shamed me because my lab numbers sucked, so in anticipation of lab retests, I started walking a mile or three every day. Since that time I have dropped about 30 pounds of lard. We ate maybe two meals of shitty American restaurant food for the lockdowns, so my wife and I both stopped looking American. (Sorry, Rascal Scooter Company.)

Believe it or not, I had hit the Taco Casa because the nurse thought maybe I had lost too much weight over the past few months. I wasn't trying to bulk back up, just slow the drop.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

You think they’re freezing funds because of the Ambassador Bridge closure? That would appear to be wrong. They froze the GoFundMe before that bridge was even involved. 

https://nypost.com/2022/02/07/gofundmes-10m-shutdown-of-canadian-truckers-shows-its-time-to-rein-in-big-tech/

https://www.newsweek.com/detroit-bridge-closed-first-time-decades-over-canada-covid-protest-1677237

I think the Canadian courts shutdown funds because of the closure. I think Gofundme shut down funds because it is a private entity that doesn't want to be associated with idiots. Or maybe you're a communist who thinks private property doesn't exist. Who knows. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

I had not heard 'Fauci ouchie' yet and I just want to say thanks.  

Someone on here posted a story about a trumpkin in a rural hospital claiming he was there to get a flu vaccine and not a “fauci ouchy” in the waiting room, then proceeded to actually get a Covid booster, just in secret.

Like all things trumpkin it’s absolutely pathetic and toddler like. 

32 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I’m getting the impression a lot of MAGA/no-vax Texas men are digging themselves in further on the obesity/vaccine messaging because they’ve realized the easiest way to get out of their marriage to their 300 pound wife is not divorce, but to have her die unvacc’d from Covid.  And he can still collect life insurance and remain divorce-free in the eyes of the Church.  A rather elegant and cheap solution with no jail time

If only this worked with my wife's chihuahua.

Just now, MC Fresh Breath said:

If only this worked with my wife's chihuahua.

We are also infested with a chihuahua.  That dog is nuts.  She completely loses her shit if someone even drives on our street.  God forbid someone unlock the front door.  She's been that way from day one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I think the Canadian courts shutdown funds because of the closure. I think Gofundme shut down funds because it is a private entity that doesn't want to be associated with idiots. Or maybe you're a communist who thinks private property doesn't exist. Who knows. 

Yeah that was a totally private decision. 

And that’s only who felt comfortable openly talking about it. 

I can only imagine how supportive CR would be if police departments were thanking private orgs for freezing the funding of protest or bail relief organizations in other situations.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

6 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

I can only imagine how supportive CR would be if police departments were thanking private orgs for freezing the funding of protest or bail relief organizations in other situations.  

Thank you for letting us all know what Fox News and the right wing hate machine told you today and yesterday.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Yes, it was a private decision. No one forced them to do it comrade. 

31 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Seriously, I thought blocking traffic was like the worst thing a protester could ever do, funny how that works this time, lol.

I never complained about anyone blocking a road. I guess others did. That would be hypocritical if they support this. 

Things are all turned upside down. The left wants to censor and is trying to shut down workers’ peaceful protests.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 4

Just now, Immaculate Vibes said:

I never complained about anyone blocking a road. I guess others did. That would be hypocritical if they support this. 

Things are all turned upside down. The left wants to censor and is trying to shut down workers’ peaceful protests.

Red states have literally legalized hitting protesters with your car if they are in the road, so yeah "others did."

There aren't enough eyeroll emoji's available for peoples' continued misunderstanding of "censorship."

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

What do you mean by shut down? Counter protesting is not shutting it down. Refusing to provide them funding is not shutting it down. Private actors refusing to let their platforms be used by the protest is not shutting it down. Let me know when the riot police and tear gas are deployed or when the violent antifa leftists attack the truckers. I'll wait. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

Fucking love the same useful idiots who thought that BLM protestors should be run over because they blocked a highway for a few hours on a weekend, and supporting laws making it legal to kill people for blocking a highway, supporting Canadian fake truckers shutting down highways and fucking up the supply chain.

The truckers are fake now? 

Edited by workswithseed
Fed truckers

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Your last line is a great example of this. Have you actually bothered to read the CDC study on masks?

When I'm not buried in work I'll find and link the article pointing out flaws.  Pretty sure the study itself acknowledged not statistically significant.

Sidenote - good to see walk back on ridiculous under 5 vax proposal and now waiting for the actual data.  Although will be interested once I have time read about to get a sense of what precipitated it (negative backlash?). 

23 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

The truckers are fake now? 

Some. Maybe most.  There's some trucks.  There's also a lot of people in RV's, pick up trucks, and cars--- many of whom took their young kids with them to their infantile protests over vaccines.  It started with some truckers, funded by a Q conspiracy theorist.  But the shut down now involves many more people in a variety of vehicles and a variety of occupations.

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

When I'm not buried in work I'll find and link the article pointing out flaws.  Pretty sure the study itself acknowledged not statistically significant.

Sidenote - good to see walk back on ridiculous under 5 vax proposal and now waiting for the actual data.  Although will be interested once I have time read about to get a sense of what precipitated it (negative backlash?). 

I sent you the study. You have it. Just read it. The part that wasn't statistically significant was specific to cloth masks. And it is acknowledged in the study. I mean fuck, argue all you want about the study's limitations. It isn't perfect. And it isn't the sum of our knowledge on the issue. It is just one more data point among a string of data points that masks work. No one is holding this single study up as the definitive proof.

From the study: 

Wearing an N95/KN95 respirator (aOR = 0.17; 95% CI = 0.05–0.64) or wearing a surgical mask (aOR = 0.34; 95% CI = 0.13­–0.90) was associated with lower adjusted odds of a positive test result compared with not wearing a mask (Table 3). Wearing a cloth mask (aOR = 0.44; 95% CI = 0.17–1.17) was associated with lower adjusted odds of a positive test compared with never wearing a face covering but was not statistically significant.

These findings reinforce that in addition to being up to date with recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, consistently wearing a face mask or respirator in indoor public settings reduces the risk of acquiring SARS-CoV-2 infection. Using a respirator offers the highest level of personal protection against acquiring infection, although it is most important to wear a mask or respirator that is comfortable and can be used consistently.

Again, what is the bitch here? The CDC did a study and released the results. The results are consistent with what we expected: (1) cloth masks may make a difference, but it is relatively minor, (2) surgical masks make more of a difference, and (3) n95 masks make the most difference. None of that should be surprising or controversial. Did you want the CDC not to study the issue at all? Not to release the results? Are you only going to be happy with the perfect study (which doesn't exist)? At some point, after I've demonstrated that many of your complaints are objectively meritless, don't you think it appropriate to take a step back and re-evaluate your position on some things? Like, I have no doubts things could have been done better. But let's not exaggerate the mistakes by blindly accepting the lies and distortions that are amplified by certain groups. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We've got close to 1000 drivers and 10 have officially taken time off to participate.  So 1%.  Not exactly what I'd call overwhelming support for a shit cause.  I can get twice as many to turn out tomorrow to fight the bigoted hate of anti-semitic swine without even trying.  These guys are smart, they're not easily swayed, they know most of their ilk is just being swindled again by people that don't actually give a shit about them.  Story as old as time.  

Trump's real power didn't come from convincing working class white people that he cared about their America.  His real power came from getting working class white people to try to convince him that they cared about their America.  Just like Trump doesn't really know what a tariff is, most MAGA folks don't actually know what a Confidence Man does.  It was never about being fooled. 

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Dude, it's Canada.  They don't follow the American Constitution, so their laws and rules are going to be different from ours.  We're supposed to be staying out of Ukraine's and Russia's business, I thought, so shouldn't that extend to Canada as well?

39 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

I Don'T Know What I Expected - Arrested Development GIF - Arrested  Development Jason Bateman Michael Bluth - Discover & Share GIFs

in a world of ricky schroeders, be a jason bateman.

I've found this guy hot ever since I had an inkling in my head of what hot was.  Would smash, or be smashed, whichever he wants.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We've got close to 1000 drivers and 10 have officially taken time off to participate.  So 1%.  Not exactly what I'd call overwhelming support for a shit cause.  I can get twice as many to turn out tomorrow to fight the bigoted hate of anti-semitic swine without even trying.  These guys are smart, they're not easily swayed, they know most of their ilk is just being swindled again by people that don't actually give a shit about them.  Story as old as time.  

Trump's real power didn't come from convincing working class white people that he cared about their America.  His real power came from getting working class white people to try to convince him that they cared about their America.  Just like Trump doesn't really know what a tariff is, most MAGA folks don't actually know what a Confidence Man does.  It was never about being fooled. 

it's called a confidence game.  why?  because you give me your confidence?  no, because i give you mine.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

it's called a confidence game.  why?  because you give me your confidence?  no, because i give you mine.

I'm too old and we already started happy hour to remember---but you would know...was the Bill Macy scene in the moneygram store.  Was it implied (or later revealed) that he was a plant by Joe's character so that he could effectively show the woman his gift/ruse/scheme?  Or was it just an organic con he pulled on the fly so that we know he's better than good?  

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm too old and we already started happy hour to remember---but you would know...was the Bill Macy scene in the moneygram store.  Was it implied (or later revealed) that he was a plant by Joe's character so that he could effectively show the woman his gift/ruse/scheme?  Or was it just an organic con he pulled on the fly so that we know he's better than good?  

i always assumed the latter.  that's why he didn't end up taking the cash.

That's been my assumption, but I'm also assuming he wouldn't take the cash in either scenario to show the woman that he's got a good heart and wouldn't take money from any jarhead, under any circumstance.  But he can still have planted him there to demonstrate his deftness in a controlled environment and not take the cash, to prove both points-skill and compassion.  But by then, who knows how far down the rabbit hole of love they were both?  Only Mamet and we can't ask him because he's busy opening a university in Austin with friends of mine.  because of course  he is.

A survey from Pew Research Center has revealed that 62% of white Evangelical Protestants have had at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, which is the lowest vaccination rate among all demographic subgroups questioned. The research, which included responses from more than 10,000 U.S. adults, found that 73% of respondents reported that they were fully vaccinated, while 20% indicated they had not gotten a shot. Catholics saw the highest rates of vaccination, with 85% reporting that they had taken at least one dose of the vaccine

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

House of Games slaps so fucking hard. What a movie.

Too bad Mamet went MAGA.

• Like 1

I do think that as a reporter, Mr. Sullivan should have noted that Amplify (IIRC, it was owned by Murdoch's News Corps but was sold: little article from six years ago here: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2015-04-07/news-corp-s-1-billion-plan-to-overhaul-education-is-riddled-with-failures) is a for profit company that sells educational materials to schools so there is a slight conflict of interest there. Does not invalidate their report, but Market Watch had a recent bit about the growth in Digital Education is looking pretty good and the players are working hard to position themselves to reap what they can. They talk a good game, but the motive is all about the money.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins

Here you go buddy. Young minorities disproportionately harmed. 

Congrats to all the teacher’s unions out there and the Dem politicians beholden to them. 
Do you think if any politician listened to educators, that our education system would have any of the issues it has? Nobody is listening to teacher's unions... about anything.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Who would guess that throwing a bunch of fat, unvaccinated folks together in the middle of a pandemic would ever be a breeding ground for disease to be carried back home where those folks will bear the cost of treatment?

1. Unless its blatantly obvious, how do you know for sure where a person contracted Covid-19?

2. Do other states do this differently?  Is California recording cases from a guy in Texas that likely contracted Covid on a trip to LA?

3. Are we really criticizing a state for following CDC guidance?  From the article:

When an out-of-stater catches the potentially deadly respiratory disease in Florida, state health officials don't report it to the public. Instead, they follow guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention by sending that data to the person's home state.

Edited by Don Johnson

Congrats to all the teacher’s unions out there and the Dem politicians beholden to them. 

I think teacher's unions should be disbanded, but that's not a popular take on Cloak Room.

Now then, when it comes to digital education...there are pros and cons.  I look for guidance from the only person I know to have ever held both CEO of the Department of Education and the CEO of a major online school---Mr. Donald Trump.  Both endeavors failed spectacularly.  But I think he's got a lot to say on the matter.  

31 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I think teacher's unions should be disbanded, but that's not a popular take on Cloak Room.

Now then, when it comes to digital education...there are pros and cons.  I look for guidance from the only person I know to have ever held both CEO of the Department of Education and the CEO of a major online school---Mr. Donald Trump.  Both endeavors failed spectacularly.  But I think he's got a lot to say on the matter.  

Is this about distance learning or masks?  I can obviously see how in person classes are better than digital, but I thought the argument was about masks hurting kids.  Maybe I am misremembering.

It's been both over the months.  When I think of the Chicago Teacher's Unions, I think of their previous demand to teach virtually being a big point of conflict.  I just like opportunities to bring up Trump ruining both the Dept. of Education and Trump University.  Until we get the Chancellor of Southern New Hampshire University to ruin the Texas State Board of Education...it's my go-to phenomenon.  

Kids wearing masks was such a non-fucking issue.  Just another battleground itch for Karens and MAGA assholes.  They were spreading it to one another regardless (thankfully with very little sickness), but they didn't mind wearing them as much as their parents thought they did.  No kid died from CO2 poisoning.  They did it to protect their friends, and more importantly their teachers & staff members who were in far higher risk categories.  And they did it gladly.  

Masks were always the biggest head scratcher to me.  I get debated on vaccines, who knows what'll happen in ten years in your body.  I accept the current science, but I get one's apprehension.  I get the being upset about disruptions to economies, classrooms, and events.  I think it's overblown, but I get being agitated by it all.  But the mask thing?  It's just fucking physics 101.  When a MAGA's fat wife talks, stuff flies out of her mouth.  It's just human nature.  Just because we can't see it, doesn't mean her whale face isn't projecting particles out into the ether.  Put a mask on her, it'll keep her from spraying Covid-19 and it'll keep the tub of shit he calls his wife from eating so goddamn much.