Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Reminds me of Charlie strong extra point debacles... how the f are admin/students completely botching something that seemingly every other big school has totally figured out?

Seriously. Feels like we’re trying to reinvent the wheel here. What was wrong with the ticket pull that we used to do. Yeah yeah some students showed up late, but the sections eventually filled up. The stadium was full because we were good. That will happen again without these experiments that CDC is trying. Last night was a big failure on his part whether some students didn’t quite follow procedure or not. 

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, landman said:

At 5:00 my son said they were told by staff/ushers that the student sections were full. So a large group left. Something way wrong with communication down there. 

I walked right by the student entrance at 5PM going to the concert and there were kids going in the gate.  not saying your son didn't get told that but something strange is going  on.

21 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

What was wrong with the ticket pull that we used to do. Yeah yeah some students showed up late, but the sections eventually filled up.

when were you in college? it's a lot different now, they're not solving the same problem and a lot of the variables are different

Edited by SwanderedTalent

Yeah, it’s easy to say “meh...those millennials are bing pussies” but it seems like they may be putting too high of a premium on trying to generate a more rabid/hyped up looking student section for TV vs the reality of implementing it. Plus, the ironic thing is that it doesn’t work out (we can see the empty seats on TV) when the implementation doesn’t work. I don’t fault CDC though - he said early on they would be trying various things, some of which would work and some of which would not. I think this student GA was a nice try and just doesn’t work in implementation ...at least as currently done. Do think that magic pass idea mentioned early sounds like a possibility to at least try.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

If I was still a student I would either buy a normal ticket or watch the game on tv.  Standing in line for 2-3 hours during prime tailgating time so I MIGHT be able to get a seat in time for kickoff is not a great value proposition.  

Yeah that line was crazy. 

How much are the GA tickets?

9 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Yeah I think it could be partly due to students cramming into sections 30 and 31, which were full.  Section 32 ended up filling about halfway, and the NE corner student sections filled up decently, though it took until into the 2nd quarter.  Upper deck student section was completely empty.

If anything it shows that they fill up the GA sections in an orderly fashion, which compared to what was seen at LSU show they are willing to adjust things.

exactly, LSU everyone wanted in at kick.  Ok State not so much.  had there been a problem the sections would not have continued to fill up. they crammed in the better sections and students probably didn't want to sit in the upper deck.  as per usual a bunch of students came in late.

can we just get a live feed at the gate so that when some idiot complains he can link to the live feed showing students walking in?  we sent a man to the damn moon 50 years ago.

when were you in college? it's a lot different now, they're not solving the same problem and a lot of the variables are different

They are also creating a lot of new problems that never existed here, and apparently don’t t exist at any other major program.

They need to focus on upgrading the “Event Staff” that handles the student sections. Part timers are in way over their head, have no idea how to exercise discretion, and have no concept of moving things along.

Fortunately we’ve got a shit game against Kansas, a likely day game against KSU who never generates as much excitement in Austin as they should, and the absurdly stupid 11 am T+1 game that they’ll likely be giving people free admission to.

So they’ve got until next Labor Day weekend to figure it out.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Um yes. How is it different? 

* There wasn't an industry-wide attendance problem in college football in 2005

* Practically speaking, no smartphones

* No one in 2005 said "I'd rather stay at home and watch the games on my 32" SD Trinitron"

* The games are longer

* Nebraska, Colorado and Texas A&M aren't in the Big 12 anymore

* The student body of 2019 is more diverse and might not be as reliably wedded to the cultural institution of "go sit in a stadium for four hours and watch football" if their family of origin didn't soak them in it from infancy. 

• Like 4

Um yes. How is it different? 

Exactly what I’m wondering, same time period for me and the only time there were issues then was if the scanner went down... and then just go to a dif gate. Student section was typically filled decently, especially big games.

Obviously the GA situation is different but it’s still people attending a damn sporting event like the last 100 years.

5 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

They are also creating a lot of new problems that never existed here,

Thanks for assigning that to me. I don't think I've said anything that would indicate otherwise, you still want me to defend?

I think I said on another thread our athletic department was flinging shit against a wall to see what sticks. There's plenty of blame to go around but I don't necessarily agree with anyone (Subliminal) saying "just go back to the way it was 15 years ago" since I am betting there are issues being addressed here that didn't exist or weren't as significant when we were all on campus.

Just now, Longhorn said:

CDC should follow Southwest Airlines approach.

1. Check-in online, get a number or whatever.

2. Have a mobile/printed pass. Maybe assigned gate?

3. ???

4. Profit

Or we could just have a student ticket draw earlier in the week and instantly solve a problem that is entirely a product of our own creation.   Student attendance and enthusiasm was down recently?  Gee, I wonder what could have caused that?

a.  Mack Brown

b.  Charlie Strong

c.  Students are different today

d.  Both a and b

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrPhlegm said:

holy shit what a cluster fuck.

having been a cast member in a crowd control role I can say that CDC needs to talk to the folks at WDW who know how to handle this shit. for the loading of the sections it takes crowd control people that know what they are doing and enough of em. we loaded in 8000 people into Fantasmic in about 15 minutes. we handled a massive influx of cars parked em and got their occupants into the parks and spending money pronto.

cdc set up one huge line or something? one chokepoint?
not good. redundancy is the key. gotta have something like magic bands which are just rfid chips in a plastic wristband. very inexpensive cost a few cents each. wanna go to a game? get a Texas magic band. have em available all over campus.
then instead of one line have stations all over bevo blvd and around dkr where you can get your section and gate assignment for g.a. put your band up against the reader and it assigns you a random section. if you have a party of say 5 all 5 go in the same section. software keeps track of capacity and when section is full no more assigned to that section. you get a slip of paper with your gate and section number or something like that. you also have your magic band rfid chip id number entered into the database that allows access.

after you are done on bevo blvd head to your gate, scan your magic band at the reader at your gate and if it flashes burnt orange you're in. scan again at the entry to your section and you're in again. gotta pee? exit and pee and return and scan again.

takes some computing power and ota networking but easy peasy.

or you could do it like we did it and you go to one of the student gates, show your blanket tax and you are in.

or like that one cougar high game where we got turned away because it was full but somebody opened a gate and a couple of hundred of us ran in and dispersed before they could catch us.

fucking millenials are such sheep.

good input  IMO, the problem is the crowd control by section at the seats(its basically a free for all once you get past the tunnel)without causing a hazard or blocking in case of an emergency.  you are correct though that professional folks(not just yokels in a yellow shirt) are required.

need multiple entrance points going to a specific section with barricades.  there was likely less demand for this game but they need more scanners and a counter per section

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

Or we could just have a student ticket draw earlier in the week and instantly solve a problem that is entirely a product of our own creation.   Student attendance and enthusiasm was down recently?  Gee, I wonder what could have caused that?

a.  Mack Brown

b.  Charlie Strong

d.  Both a and b

or, all

2 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

So having smartphones, and there being no NU, CU, or aggy on the schedule, and that HD TVs are ubiquitous now makes it not possible for student to pull tickets the week before a game? Uh ok 

It might be that it's harder to actually get the students to show up at the fucking stadium now, yes. Now, it couldn't possibly be worse than yesterday, but that doesn't mean that doing the pull the same way we did it lo these many years ago when you were on campus is an automatic failsafe. CDC clearly thinks it's not.

1 hour ago, landman said:

At 5:00 my son said they were told by staff/ushers that the student sections were full. So a large group left. Something way wrong with communication down there. 

They are not applying technology or process, and the concept of burst capacity is not being factored.  In addition it appears they are continuing to use the same subcontracted entities who have no concept of C5.

They should just do two wristbands (orange, white) and 3 gates.  Gate 31 opens 1 hour prior to game for orange bands only, gate 19 opens 1 hour prior to game for white bands only and then all three gates 31, 19  and 28 open to all bands 30 minutes prior and ANY gate 15 minutes prior. You get your band, randomly, during the week, still GA.   

darrell-k-royal-texas-memorial-stadium-m

Edited by RollLeft

good input  IMO, the problem is the crowd control by section at the seats(its basically a free for all once you get past the tunnel)without causing a hazard or blocking in case of an emergency.  you are correct though that professional folks(not just yokels in a yellow shirt) are required.
need multiple entrance points going to a specific section with barricades.  there was likely less demand for this game but they need more scanners and a counter per section

Yes, this. When I saw CDC’s tweet the other day staying all GA tickets were to go to (only) one specific gate, I assumed they were going to have a problem. They can’t keep having these “choke points” for hoards of students who are all fighting to try to get in for the best seating (then) available. Also sounds like there is a continuing problem with the folks running these gates not being crystal clear on the procedure. I saw a number of tweets of people being “turned away”. If that’s true (and not just angry/fed up hyperbole), that’s ridiculous.

41 minutes ago, Queen Bitch said:

There were “group” assigned seats in the VY years, which meant you got to tailgate all day then stumble in right before kickoff, and it worked perfectly. 

CDC, just do that again.

That is 1 piece of 14 operational procedures necessary to solve this topic and achieve the target outcome.

20 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

They need to focus on upgrading the “Event Staff” that handles the student sections.

Upgrade the "Event Staff" period.  This is the number one problem.  The program is trying to fly supersonic with piston engines.

Can't deal with the added cost?  Then a system is needed that allows the students to go in any gate at any time and yet still achieves the desired end result.

25 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

CDC should follow Southwest Airlines approach.

1. Check-in online, get a number or whatever.

2. Have a mobile/printed pass. Maybe assigned gate?

3. ???

4. Profit

There are a couple of concepts in the LUV model that have utility, and you are on the path to 3 of the 14 processes needed to solve this topic, without having specifically described any of them in the context of the 40 and DKR.

22 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

a.  Mack Brown

b.  Charlie Strong

d.  Both a and b

Relevant words bolded.  Note the word "ticket" is struck, but the word "draw" remains.

5 minutes ago, gecko said:

CDC’s rather defensive posture on twitter on this issue seems out of character. This whole subject and the resulting criticism seems to have hit a nerve with him

Because he knows it’s a major fuckup to have glaringly empty sections on national tv. The GA thing seemed like a good idea, although it was a little bush league since fucking Tech does it. But hey, it seemed to work. But now we’re realizing it just isn’t and he needs to stop experimenting. Go back to a student draw—tickets, wristbands, whatever—the GA thing is done. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Because he knows it’s a major fuckup to have glaringly empty sections on national tv. The GA thing seemed like a good idea, although it was a little bush league since fucking Tech does it. But hey, it seemed to work. But now we’re realizing it just isn’t and he needs to stop experimenting. Go back to a student draw—tickets, wristbands, whatever—the GA thing is done. 

Nah, many other major programs did it prior to Tech.  They should just call up any one of them, maybe Michigan, and see what they do.    

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

is it outrageous for people to be polite about it, since they have his ear and he's professional enough to read and respond to the Tweets? the students are barely more juvenile than the parents

When people get in line at 5:15 and can’t see a 6:40 kickoff, there’s a problem.  Whether that happened on the students’ side or the alumni’s, there would be complaining about it, and it would be justified.

CDC gets plenty of praise, as he should.  He needs to be able to handle valid criticism, too.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

All good points and part of the solution, 4 processes referenced.

57 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

They should just do two wristbands (orange, white) and 3 gates.  Gate 31 opens 1 hour prior to game for orange bands only, gate 19 opens 1 hour prior to game for white bands only and then all three gates 31, 19  and 28 open to all bands 30 minutes prior and ANY gate 15 minutes prior. You get your band, randomly, during the week, still GA.

Good prototype of the correct process, you need more variables in your equation.

36 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Wristbands, draws, and GA are not incompatible and in fact are symbiotic when implemented with professional acumen.  This costs money.

Make the best, limited number of seats GA. The die hards willing to line up should be rewarded. But access to the line would need to be strictly controlled. Assigned seating through any gate for the rest with their tickets. Cancel their ticket for the next game if they're not in the stadium by kickoff or shortly thereafter. 

Last night's process was an embarrassing failure. No doubt. Every system is perfectly designed for the results it produces. However, what is being lost on people is the fact that CDC completely redesigned and successfully implemented change to a complicated system in only two weeks. Even though the new system was terrible, that is still impressive. I have no doubt that he will fix this.

Also, can people not tweet at the AD of the University of Texas like he's a damn intern. Learn how to communicate like a grown up. It's incredible that CDC even engages with those mouth breathers. 

Edited by Sock Monkey
  • Like 4