FBI vs. NCAA Coaches

GabrielsHorn

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2019 at 5:26 PM, Machinator said:

They were denied within 24 hours by the judge, which I thought was weird.  He did deny without prejudice though saying they are free to appeal to another judge.  I'm not sure a judge wants to be a kingmaker in the deal, but the FBI/prosecutor probably doesn't want the evidence released to the NCAA.  Thought being that if the NCAA rules that the schools were complicit then it could jeopardize the integrity of the investigation being that the charges were that the schools were defrauded because they didn't know.

I think the NCAA ends up with the evidence in the end.  Maybe the judge just wanted to give the second trial some cover by not having people speculate based on leaked docs from the first trial.

Edited by Jhawk

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-05/ex-adidas-official-two-others-sentenced-in-ncaa-bribery-scandal

A federal judge sent three men caught in a federal probe of college basketball kickbacks to prison but gave them relatively lenient sentences for a striking reason: Corruption, he implied, is common in the sport.

Two weeks before the annual college basketball tournament known as March Madness, Judge Lewis Kaplan sentenced former Adidas AG executive James Gatto to nine months, while Merl Code, a consultant with ties to Adidas, and agent Christian Dawkins each got six.

James Gatto, the former head of global basketball marketing at Adidas, was sentenced to nine months by U.S. District Court Judge Lewis A. Kaplan. Merl Code Jr., another former Adidas employee, and Christian Dawkins, an aspiring agent, were given six months each. Code and Dawkins, who are also defendants in next month’s trial, were ordered to pay restitution of a little more than $28,000 each, with Gatto’s amount of restitution still to be determined.

Kaplan ruled that the punishments would not go into effect until the appeal process is completed. The defendants have two weeks to ask the federal circuit court to re-examine the case.

To whom exactly are they paying restitution?

"During closing arguments, Michael Schachter, one of Gatto's attorneys, told the jury that his client approved the payments to players' families at the request of coaches, including Kansas' Bill Self."

Obviously this is a lie. I heard in this very thread from all-knowing Kansas fans that they are the victims in this tragic affair.
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

“I was thinking last night on this Smart thing,” Wade said. “I’ll be honest with you, I’m [expletive] tired of dealing with the thing. Like I’m just [expletive] sick of dealing with the [expletive]. Like, this should not be that [expletive] complicated.”

There is no elaboration on what the “Smart thing” is. Javonte Smart is currently a freshman guard at LSU and formerly a top-50 recruit from Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Damnit, not Shaka.

Edited by OU Sucks

40 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

So for those of us who haven't read through the entire thread someone explain why the FBI started caring about paying players.  

They care if federal crimes may have been committed in the process, which is extremely likely. They're not just involved because they feel like it.

Catdaddy, just go read an article from the beginning of all this. The FBI is within its jurisdiction and people are going to jail for crimes. Let's not nudge this to a cloak room topic because you think they should have other priorities.

The operation that the feds laid out is college basketball recruiting 101. It began when a prominent financial planner from the sports world was ensnared in a securities fraud case and turned into a cooperating witness. He was able to bring an undercover FBI agent along as a supposed assistant for meetings, payouts, recorded conversations and so on.

12 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

So for those of us who haven't read through the entire thread someone explain why the FBI started caring about paying players.  

My original question as well. After doing cursory research when it all came down, best I could figure is that the coaches are all at public universities that get federal funding therefore they stretch it into a public corruption case. 

I know how it originally started with the tailor in Atlanta, but based on my understanding that is how they ended up here. Probably wrong. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

And? What does that mean?

Risking probation and potentially being fired for paying players who never contribute is just hilarious to me. At least Will Wade may get a conference championship and a 2 seed out of it. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

1 hour ago, pops said:

My original question as well. After doing cursory research when it all came down, best I could figure is that the coaches are all at public universities that get federal funding therefore they stretch it into a public corruption case. 

I know how it originally started with the tailor in Atlanta, but based on my understanding that is how they ended up here. Probably wrong. 

Yeah, just boil it down to:

It's illegal for state employees (i.e., basketball coaches) to take bribes. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Or he’s fired before the season is over

Or they wait until LSU wins it all and have the championship removed from the record books. Kinda like '08 KU, they never played Memphis. The game never happened if half of the contestants had it vacated, right?

8 minutes ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

Creighton and TCU are private, so it's got to be more than just that.

Coaches there are just witnesses. Will not be charged. 

Again, I may be wrong, but none of this has to do with paying players. That isn't illegal. It's the money that flowed to the coaches in their positions as state and defacto federal employees. 

Edited by pops
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, pops said:

Again, I may be wrong, but none of this has to do with paying players. That isn't illegal. It's the money that flowed to the coaches in their positions as state and defacto federal employees. 

Wait...wut?

46 minutes ago, pops said:

You are half wrong.  It's not illegal to pay the coaches or players.  It is illegal for none of that money to be claimed on the coaches or player's taxes.

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Or they wait until LSU wins it all and have the championship removed from the record books. Kinda like '08 KU, they never played Memphis. The game never happened if half of the contestants had it vacated, right?

‘13 UL says Hi.