So I got a WSM...

thunderlounge

Nice job. I just installed this gasket kit on the door and the lid, so I'm going to see how good it works on sealing up the door before I buy the Cajun Bandit door.

The kit came with enough gasket material to do another smoker. If anyone wants it for free, shoot me a message

17 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Nice job. I just installed this gasket kit on the door and the lid, so I'm going to see how good it works on sealing up the door before I buy the Cajun Bandit door.

The kit came with enough gasket material to do another smoker. If anyone wants it for free, shoot me a message

Once I close down my lower vents, the lid appears to stop leaking.  But until then, it leaks like crazy.  I think I still have some gasket.  Figured all of the gunk would seal the lid.  In any event, I think it's just my desire to mess with things at this point.  The thing holds rock solid temps.

Edited by dcbc

2 hours ago, LosIllini said:

FYI- Cajun Bandit is running 10% off sitewide today. Coupon Code = MEMORIAL10.

New door on the way for my old 18.5"...

2 hours ago, LosIllini said:

FYI- Cajun Bandit is running 10% off sitewide today. Coupon Code = MEMORIAL10.

New door on the way for my old 18.5"...

My center section is a bit out of round.  So the top-right part of the door doesn't sit flush (and bending it wasn't making much difference.  But the compression latch is so good that it has a perfect seal. 

I vote yes on going ahead with the Cajun Bandit upgrade.

In addition to what baboontyme said,

The Raven nitrile gloves sold by Amazon are the best I have found.

Insulated rotisserie gloves make handling hot briskets and butts a whole lot easier

At least two food grade bus tubs

A couple of cafeteria serving trays come in handy also.

Roll of pink butcher paper

Edited by baboso
butcher paper, duh.

On 6/2/2018 at 9:57 AM, Chico_SA said:

Got the 22" in my Amazon Cart. 

Congrats and welcome to #TeamWSM. In addition to what others have listed, I’ll add two recommendations.  A good boning knife makes trimming meat a breeze. This one works amazingly well. You’ll be working with large pieces of meat, so having a cutting board large enough for bbq cuts with plenty of room to trim & apply rub makes things easier. And a good chimney starter (available at any Home Depot or Lowe’s) for lighting coals. 

Be prepared to find things you never before knew existed but cannot now live without.  

https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell-S131F-6PCP-Boning-Knife-Sani-Safe/dp/B0001MRYDI/ref=mp_s_a_1_3/143-5976579-6947200?ie=UTF8&qid=1528032792&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=dexter+boning+knife&dpPl=1&dpID=21cS0KLc30L&ref=plSrch 

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Cutting-Carving-Board/dp/B000AAM0EY/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1528032915&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=oxo+large+cutting+board&dpPl=1&dpID=315i04A9xKL&ref=plSrch#productDescription_secondary_view_div_1528032941408

Edited by Dutch

On 6/2/2018 at 9:57 AM, Chico_SA said:

Got the 22" in my Amazon Cart.  Should I go ahead and get the Cajun Bandit Upgrade kit that has the charcoal ring and the replacement door now, rather than wait until I've used it a few time? 

I think the charcoal ring is for the 18"?  The door is a very nice upgrade, but I'd spend money on knives first.  Also, get an extra charcoal grate and lay it in a criss cross pattern.  Coals don't fall down as easily that way. 

Edited by dcbc

Thanks.   I did change my mind on the charcoal ring so I'm going with the door and the hinge from Cajun Bandit.  I should have my stuff by this weekend(perfect vacation and Super Regional timing) so I'll go back and catch up on the thread. 

Also get you a 5 gallon plastic bucket and put a kitchen trash bag in it to use to dump charcoal and grease from your WSM so that you don't make a mess in your backyard. Once it's full you tie it up and throw in the trash and start again.

• Like 1

Bingo Ank!:

1 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup yellow mustard, 1/4 cup finely minced white onion, 2 cloves of garlic finely minced or pureed, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp tabasco.

Combine in a sauce pan and heat to incorporate.  Let it cool and I usually pour through a fine mesh screen to remove the onions and garlic solids so it will keep in the fridge longer.

5 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Anybody have a good vinegar sauce recipe for pulled pork and/or know where I can get franklins in Dallas? 

They’ve got some kinda vinegar rib sauce at PL that’s really really good.  Not sure if you can buy it by the bottle or not.

6 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Anybody have a good vinegar sauce recipe for pulled pork and/or know where I can get franklins in Dallas? 

Amazon, for $25, will sell you a 3-pack of Franklin’s vinegar sauce (a 3-pack with one of each flavor is $30). But you’re paying a premium price for the convenience. 

There’s an HEB in Waxahachie that (when it’s when open) sells Franklin sauces for $4/bottle. That may be an option, depending in which part of Dallas you’re in & if you’re up for a drive. My wife & MIL used to go to the antique stores in downtown Waxahachie every so often & would swing by that HEB for my sauce fix. 

https://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Barbecue-12-5oz-Bottle-Espresso/dp/B00DGI8JMY?th=1&psc=1

In my experience, CM doesn’t carry Franklin’s sauces (at least the Lovers Lane location doesn’t). I asked the concierge/customer service person about it once and got the blowoff “That’s a great idea. We’ll look into that” response.

Side note: CM does carry the full line of Whataburger products (condiments, sausage, etc).

Edited by Dutch

23 hours ago, baboso said:

Bingo Ank!:

1 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup yellow mustard, 1/4 cup finely minced white onion, 2 cloves of garlic finely minced or pureed, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp tabasco.

Combine in a sauce pan and heat to incorporate.  Let it cool and I usually pour through a fine mesh screen to remove the onions and garlic solids so it will keep in the fridge longer.

This is a good recipe. I've also seen it posted on TigerDroppings. (Although without the shaggified nomenclature, it's just a South Carolina mustard sauce.)

Coincidentally I smoked a pork butt last weekend and have a jar of the sauce in my fridge right now. I go back and forth between that and a locally made chipotle-habanero sauce. They complement each other very well, like a culinary yin and yang...you know, where sauces for pulled pork are concerned. 

Any barbacoa tips for WSM?  Not doing a whole head, as it wouldn't fit in an 18.5 anyway. But I was planning to pick some beef cheeks this weekend for College World Series / World Cup.

Looks like you can trim em and then smoke at 275 and the finish over the smoke in a pan with some braising liquid. I'm looking to do basic tacos (onion cilantro salsa) and tortas with the meat. I've seen some suggestions to just go S&P, and others with more of a chile rub / ancho guajillo sauce.

Take this with a grain of salt, I probably have fewer WSM cooks than most people in this thread:

I never "seasoned" mine - i ran a load of coals with vents wide open just to burn off any manufacturing oil residues, then I started cooking. The link mentions them running hot until some seasoning has built up, but I've never had a problem running 225F low and slow even from my first cook. The link does use the donut technique with coals, which keeps a pretty large round flame front lit in an expanding ring, and would make the potential for flareup much higher. I use the snake method, laying my coals in a horseshoe and starting on one end, which keeps a pretty small, forgiving flame front - see this thread for pic:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?37333-The-Snake-Method-BBQ-Rib-Cook

One 

10 hours ago, Chico_SA said:

Going to try to put together and season my new WSM tomorrow.  Any suggestions on a seasoning method? I was thinking about using this one but welcome y'alls input.

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2014/03/fire-control-and-seasoning-a-new-weber-smokey-mountain-pit/

When I got my WSM, I read anything and everything about it and seriously debated using Soo's seasoning method that you listed.  In the end, I'm too lazy to do three trial runs.  So I burned two full chimneys (one lit, one not) of KBB and fiddled with the dampers a bit, just to get the hang of temp control, then let it run wide.  My first "real cook" was a pork shoulder, which is a great way to christen a WSM.  They're nearly impossible to mess up, full of grease that does the seasoning work, and taste great.

Edited by Dutch

7 hours ago, baboso said:

All I did to "season" mine was initial load of coals to burn off any manufacturing gunk left.  After that one, I sprayed the inside down with Pam and cooked a brisket using the Minion method.  

Same.  I may have sprayed when burning off the gunk.  The season on the lid will break off pretty easily.  I have to brush mine down or it will end up on the meat. 

21 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Same.  I may have sprayed when burning off the gunk.  The season on the lid will break off pretty easily.  I have to brush mine down or it will end up on the meat. 

I take my cactus burner and burn it out a couple of times a year.

• Like 1

Smoking some chicken and baby backs today. Grocery store had some tri-tips that looked really nice, so I'm trying one of them for the first time. Everything I've read says to smoke just 1.5-2 hours for a medium to medium well. Before that I was going to do a long brisket style smoke to it. Anyone else ever smoked one?

1 hour ago, immortal13 said:

Smoking some chicken and baby backs today. Grocery store had some tri-tips that looked really nice, so I'm trying one of them for the first time. Everything I've read says to smoke just 1.5-2 hours for a medium to medium well. Before that I was going to do a long brisket style smoke to it. Anyone else ever smoked one?

I've heard 140 F on a tri tip.  Never done one though.

It's definitely not a long smoke meat. I like to reverse sear it over the coals (grate right above the coals) for a minute or two after smoking and then slice thin. 

The grain is tricky because it moves around but it makes for a good tasty treat

Edited by TornACL

Pulled it at 140 and it was tough as fuck. I decided to wrap it and put it back on the smoker for a couple more hours and see what happened. Pulled it at 202 with the probe sliding in very easy, and it turned out pretty fucking tender. Ribs and chicken were fantastic. The tri-tip was more of an experiment and I doubt I'll get another one.

Yeah listen to TSU....do not give up on tri-tip. Please. But it's not a roast. It's a steak. But it's absurdly flavorful. I honestly don't think there's a more flavorful cut. But you have to finish it rare/medium rare and slice it against the grain. 

Maybe too rare for some but damn, this was good stuff. My 8 year old could not stop eating and neither could I. 

36296514194_2126ba153c.jpg

• Like 4