Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

Now it makes sense why he hasn't been around. Him and Dallas knew what was coming down and tried to keep it hush.

Which brings me to why didn't we get McClain in here instead of letting Atlanta get him? Obviously the knew something was brewing with this. The team is never out of the loop in these incidents.

Sean Lee called out Irving

“It’s a shared sacrifice, all of us working together as a team. It’s big deal for all of us. He needs to be here on a more consistent basis,” linebacker Sean Lee said. “He can be a huge part of this team if he wants to be, but he’s got to show that commitment.”

Dan Bailey out here trying to be Roy Halladay and shit

"For me, getting up there and even being able to get off the ground for 15 minutes is good for my head, you know?" Bailey said. "You can kind of check out. Obviously you’re locked in and being safe, but nobody can do anything up there. You’re off the ground. You’re kind of in a whole different element so to speak."

Bailey, 30, bought his own plane this offseason and flies it "every day that I can." It’s a small, two-seater sport plane that is capable of doing aerobatics.

image1%20(7).jpeg

On 6/15/2018 at 4:11 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Now it makes sense why he hasn't been around. Him and Dallas knew what was coming down and tried to keep it hush.

Which brings me to why didn't we get McClain in here instead of letting Atlanta get him? Obviously the knew something was brewing with this. The team is never out of the loop in these incidents.

Teams do not know unless a suspension is announced. They were not covering it up, he might have been. He was away from OTA and mini-camp because he was badly out of shape. 

Broaddas is such a shitty scout that the cowboys, who were the kings of shitty scouting, fired his ass and hired him to be a fluff mouthpiece like that cunt italian spagnola. 

I keep hearing on the tv and radio how the cowboys are going to miss witten's leadership. I don't think they will that much. For one, the cowboys have been an undisciplined group for years even with witten there. Also, the cowboys are almost all young niggas and young niggas don't listen to and follow some middle aged country white guy. They need someone like dak to step up and have them listen to and follow. 

http://www.tmz.com/2018/06/19/erik-williams-son-cassius-dallas-cowboys-murder/

The son of Dallas Cowboys legend Erik Williams has been arrested in connection with a double murder in Texas, TMZ Sports has learned. 

20-year-old Cassius Shakembe Williams -- along with another man -- have been arrested and each charged with 2 counts of capital murder in the shooting deaths of 2 men in Mesquite, TX on June 12. 

Officials believe the victims were attempting to sell marijuana to Williams and his friend, when the buyers pulled out guns and demanded they hand over the weed. 

Shots were fired and the two alleged dealers were killed. 

Capital murder is essentially the same as 1st degree murder -- and if convicted, it carries the death penalty. 

Williams is a former football player himself -- who was a 6'1", 290 lb defensive tackle at Central State University. 

His father, Erik Williams, was a 2-time Super Bowl champ with the Dallas Cowboys -- where he was also a 4-time Pro Bowler as an offensive lineman. 

http://www.tmz.com/2018/06/19/erik-williams-son-cassius-dallas-cowboys-murder/

The son of Dallas Cowboys legend Erik Williams has been arrested in connection with a double murder in Texas, TMZ Sports has learned. 
20-year-old Cassius Shakembe Williams -- along with another man -- have been arrested and each charged with 2 counts of capital murder in the shooting deaths of 2 men in Mesquite, TX on June 12. 
Officials believe the victims were attempting to sell marijuana to Williams and his friend, when the buyers pulled out guns and demanded they hand over the weed. 
Shots were fired and the two alleged dealers were killed. 
Capital murder is essentially the same as 1st degree murder -- and if convicted, it carries the death penalty. 
Williams is a former football player himself -- who was a 6'1", 290 lb defensive tackle at Central State University. 
His father, Erik Williams, was a 2-time Super Bowl champ with the Dallas Cowboys -- where he was also a 4-time Pro Bowler as an offensive lineman. 

I saw they arrested the 2 who did this murder. All over some fucking weed. Dumb fucks. Capital murder can get you fried here in Texas. Hope they enjoyed their lives they once had. That was right in the area I grew up. That part of Mesquite has turned into a shithole. I had no idea that was Erik Williams son though.

10 minutes ago, DougO said:

Here's Broaddass praising Chaz Green a year ago as a left tackle, giving him credit for Ron Leary's block.

good lord what an awful evaluation, leary knocks his man sideways and green easily pushes him down afterwards while he is off balance and he gets credit for a pancake.  what a rube, i always wondered what drew looked like...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:
2 hours ago, DougO said:
Here's Broaddass praising Chaz Green a year ago as a left tackle, giving him credit for Ron Leary's block.

Broaddus is Drew??

That would actually explain quite a bit about that fucking retard. 

Dan Bailey out here trying to be Roy Halladay and shit

"For me, getting up there and even being able to get off the ground for 15 minutes is good for my head, you know?" Bailey said. "You can kind of check out. Obviously you’re locked in and being safe, but nobody can do anything up there. You’re off the ground. You’re kind of in a whole different element so to speak."

Bailey, 30, bought his own plane this offseason and flies it "every day that I can." It’s a small, two-seater sport plane that is capable of doing aerobatics.

image1%20(7).jpeg

Not sure it’s a great idea to go immediately from getting your ticket at 40 hours to performing aerobatics.

On 6/16/2018 at 2:44 PM, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Swaim so far. 

Update:

Cowboys reporter Marcus Mosher reports second-year UDFA Blake Jarwin worked as Dallas' No. 1 tight end during OTAs and minicamp.

According to Mosher, Rico Gathers "barely gets any snaps in practice." Gathers hasn't played a single snap since being drafted in 2016 but flashed big-time potential last preseason only for the Cowboys to ask him to bulk up and improve his blocking this year. It sounds like Jarwin is the preferred pass-catching option, with Gathers competing for snaps as an in-line blocker. Jarwin showed some Jacob Tamme-esque traits as a walk-on at Oklahoma State.

Also this on the WR situation via Rotoworld:

As expected. Hurns inked a two-year, $12 million pact after his release from Jacksonville, and the Cowboys then released Dez Bryant while failing to re-sign Brice Butler. It leaves Hurns as the default top wideout, followed by Cole Beasley, Terrance Williams, and rookie Michael Gallup in whichever order. In an offense that figures to lean on Ezekiel Elliott as much as Elliott's body will allow, maybe only one of these receivers will provide steady fantasy value.

--------

I've heard some good reviews for Gallup. Looking forward to seeing him suit up.

Edited by DougO

It's not like there's no real transition from junior high football to four years of college basketball to a serious neck injury to being a starting NFL tight end.

Rico is what he always was, a raw tool to try to mold into a TE, but with no promises or guarantees. If he's not ready, he's not ready.

Edited by DougO

19 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lol at trying to force a freak athlete like Gathers to be something he's really not. Good grief. Again, he's never going to develop if he never gets a legit shot. We don't need every TE to be a blocker.

Just another example of the retardation of this coaching staff. 

Gathers isn't a fucking TE. Did they see the routes, burst, and hands he showed at 6'6" in those preseason games? How the fuck do you not see you have a jumbo receiver for 4/5 receiver sets and red zone? Something they don't have with anyone else on the roster?

Nope, let's make the guy knock his own dick in the dirt hitting DEs and LBs all day like a fucking no speed/no talent grunt TE that are a dime a dozen in free agency. If Garrett was a horse rancher he'd be gifted Justify and turn him into a rodeo horse. 

Edited by JohnRedHorn
  • Like 1

My guess is that they know the guy has some ability to catch a ball and run over a guy. That's the easy part. To understand blocking assignments and techniques and route options and audible stuff and all that jazz, that's high level football. They're probably burying him with all that stuff to prepare him for some kind of role at some point and get on the field without getting somebody killed.

And if he's a bust, he didn't cost much. Hopefully at least one of these younger guys really turns into something good.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/24/dallas-cowboys-chaz-green-2018-player-profile/

Cowboys' Chaz Green went from low SPARQ to flameout in 3 seasons

By: K.D. Drummond | 4 hours ago

It was all good about a week ago. Well, not really.

The time period is more like 3 years, and it really wasn’t all good to start with. From the moment the Dallas Cowboys drafted Chaz Green, the fan base had a collective crease in their foreheads. It’s turned into crow’s feet and gray hairs in a very short period of time and there is very little hope any miracle formula can erase the wear and tear on the franchise.

OK, that’s a little overboard, but to keep it real, ain’t nobody checking for no Chaz Green resurrection story.

To start it all off, the former Florida tackle was a pretty shocking selection for the Cowboys in the third round of the 2015 NFL draft.

Flashback to that draft weekend. The Cowboys, coming off an incredible season, were picking No. 27. That meant all of the top-tier players would be long gone by the time Dallas got on the clock. The majority of Cowboys Draft Twitter had focused on UConn defensive back Byron Jones as the best prospect in that tier, and all were rewarded when he made it past potential suitors.

The euphoria was real, and the following day Dallas got another Christmas present. Randy Gregory, considered a Top 10 talent, slid because of a failed marijuana test at the scouting combine (spoiler alert, it mattered). He didn’t just escape the top 10 or the first round, he made it to the end of the round and into Dallas’ lap.

gettyimages-154981576.jpg?w=1000&h=810

(Photo by Sam Greenwood/Getty Images)

Things were looking good until Reed Richards snuck into the Cowboys war room and reached for the Chaz Green magnet. Projected as a fifth or sixth round project, Dallas needed help with their tackle depth and took the oft-injured Gators product.

2015 was a very weak tackle class. The top-rated Andrus Peat plays guard now. The second-rated TJ Clemmings is already on his second team and is a backup. La’el Collins was rated third and fell to the Cowboys as a UDFA for extenuating circumstances. Ereck Flowers was ranked fifth.

In that draft, Green was rated 15th by Dane Brugler, but the Cowboys took him in the third.

He had Day 2 talent, but an injury history that saw him miss a few games in 2012 and the entire 2013 season raised major concerns about his durability. Those concerns, like the ones about Gregory proved correct. In fact, the concerns over where Jones would end up as a pro, corner or safety, plagued him through his first three seasons as well. A precautionary tale about trying to beat the system, perhaps?

The rest of the scouting report was fairly complimentary though. Green had attributes that translated if he could stay on the field in the pros.

Unfortunately, athleticism wasn’t one of them.

In 2015, the Cowboys were in the throes of their SPARQ-score infatuation. Getting superior athletes has been the secret of success of several teams, and in 2015 the Cowboys were one of the early adopters. Jones, Gregory, as well as late picks in LB Mark Nzeocha and OT Laurence Gibson were some of the finest athletes available in the draft.

SPARQ score is calculated using eight metrics, blending an athlete’s size, explosive power, speed and agility.

Zach Whitman reverse-engineered an approximation of Nike’s formula, and while he doesn’t share his secret sauce, he publishes the results annually at 3sigmaathlete.com.

Green had no SPARQ spark. He was only a better athlete than 45.7 percent of NFL tackles, the worst among Dallas’ draft class. For comparison, Jones was a true 3-sigma athlete, scoring better then every DB in the NFL, 99.9 percentile.

Once he made it to the pros, injuries bubbled up again. Hip surgery robbed him of his rookie season. In 2016, he played in place of Tyron Smith for a couple games, but injuries forced him out of the lineup from Week 4 and he was unavailable for a huge chunk of the season.

The club decided to reshuffle the deck chairs heading into 2017. After spending two seasons at left guard and splitting starts with the departed Ron Leary (free agency to Denver), the Cowboys moved the higher pedigree Collins out to right tackle to replace the retired Doug Free.

Green was moved inside to left guard to be in competition with journeyman and former first rounder Jonathan Cooper. However indecision from the coaching staff had the two players  sharing first-team reps through the offseason and through training camp.

Green, of course, was a tackle learning a new position. The club was doing him a ridiculously major disservice not giving him all of the reps to learn his new trade.

He went out and was replaced after a few weeks in the regular season. Then Dallas made it worse, moving him to swing tackle ahead of Byron Bell despite spending all offseason gearing him up for interior play.

gettyimages-8733608202.jpg?w=1000&h=667

(Photo by Daniel Shirey/Getty Images)

When his number was called against Atlanta, Green was a shell of himself.  He had zero hope of corralling an NFL journeyman rusher in Adrian Clayborn. He repeatedly got quarterback Dak Prescott killed when Smith was out with injuries. Green allowed four sacks in a few quarters, regularly getting beaten by a jag.

Prior to that game, Clayborn hadn’t had six sacks in a season since a rookie in 2011. With the two he got after Bell came in, he had six on the game.

Prescott never recovered, his play going over the cliff after that loss. It’s brought up questions as to whether or not he’ll ever fully recover from the skittish play that followed the whooping. A less physical quarterback wouldn’t have finished that game.

Green didn’t finish the season. After that debacle, he never returned to the field on offense, only collecting special teams snaps.

The Cowboys have moved him back inside to guard. They brought in a Cam Fleming in free agency to be the swing tackle, drafted Connor Williams to be starting left guard and had Green starting out the offseason as Zack Martin’s backup at right guard.

Only it appears he couldn’t hold that down either. Through OTAs that was his role but when minicamp rolled around, journeyman guard Kadeem Edwards was ahead of Green on the depth chart.

He’ll get a chance to reclaim a spot in the rotation during training camp but it’s clear he also has a chance of being booted off the roster.

After his world got 'flipped upside down,' Ryan Switzer ecstatic about opportunity with Raiders

The Dallas Cowboys drafted Ryan Switzer in last year’s fourth round, creating a realistic expectation he’d wear the star through his rookie contract at least.

That’s why a late April call from Jerry Jones came as such a shock. The North Carolina product was headed to the mall with his wife when his life changed by news that he had been traded to the Raiders for defensive lineman Jihad Ward right after the 2018 NFL draft.

“Just the snap of the fingers and your world gets flipped upside down,” Switzer said June 13, during Raiders minicamp. “It is the nature of this business. I’m understanding that. Ultimately, I realized that everything happens for a reason. I’m here where I’m supposed to be and happy to be here.”

Moving is never fun. Having a spouse forced to change jobs isn’t ideal.

Neither was his offensive role in Dallas.

The dynamic receiver and return man was stuck behind Cole Beasley in the slot rotation, with several ahead of him on the depth chart. He was targeted seven times as a rookie, with just six receptions for 41 yards to his credit.

He was a special teams stalwart and the Cowboys’ return man.

Switzer will be a special teams fixture again in Oakland, but the North Carolina product has a real chance to impact Jon Gruden’s offense. That opportunity was enhanced during a standout offseason program where he often worked with the first unit.

“Ryan Switzer has really caught my eye,” Gruden said, unprompted. “Switzer has come in here and not only been a punt returner, kick returner, he’s come in and been a force as a slot receiver. He’s really done well.”

That praise came after a solid spring, which must be succeeded by quality in training camp and preseason games.

Switzer has worn silver and black since May, with time to analyze this change of scenery. It’s clearly the best thing for him.

“No question. I’m ecstatic to be here, especially on the offensive side of the ball,” Switzer said. “I think you look at the great slot receivers in this league and all of them have got great outside guys around you. That’s what makes the middle of the field so deadly, is when you’ve got outside receivers who can put pressure, not only on corners but safeties. That leaves me to deal with nickel (cornerbacks) and linebackers. We’ve got a plethora of them. We’ve got All-Pro’s on the outside. I think it’s going to be special for me here. I’m looking forward to helping this team win and contributing.”

Switzer should do fine with a team who gives him a legit shot. We could have used him now that we trimmed the fat of Dez and Witten.

I’m always crowing on here about how I’m always right on talent evolution of certain players I single out. If Switzer never does anything in Oakland I will eat crow on here because I thought he had the skill set to be a productive pro.

So a deferred prosecution of felony aggravated battery for actually punching someone is somehow far less punishable than no prosecution for anything but a rumor. He had also been arrested on a gun charge two years earlier, carrying a loaded gun through an airport, for which he was jailed.

NFL suspended Eagles LB Nigel Bradham one game for violating the league's personal code of conduct.

He'll miss the season opener against Atlanta on September 6. The ban stems from an aggravated battery arrest in 2016, for which the linebacker accepted a deferred prosecution program last summer. The 28-year-old was also arrested for carrying a concealed weapon in 2016, but those charges were dropped. Bradham led the Super Bowl champs with 88 tackles last season while also earning PFF's No. 1 coverage grade among 4-3 outside linebackers.
Jun 29 - 4:22 PM

---

Eagles star Nigel Bradham already picked up a W, and he hasn't even played the Falcons yet ... 'cause the Philly LB is in the clear in his aggravated assault case ... TMZ Sports has learned.

We broke the story ... Bradham was charged in Florida with aggravated battery after allegedly punching a Hilton hotel worker in the face 'cause he took too long to set up a beach umbrella.

The charge was serious -- a felony -- which carried up to 15 years in prison, if convicted.

Bradham caught a break in June ... the prosecution was deferred -- meaning if he kept his nose clean for 6 months, the charge would be dropped.

NB took care of business, according to court docs ... and the case was closed last week.

Bradham and the Eagles take on the ATL Falcons in the divisional round of the NFL playoffs this weekend.

Edited by DougO

9 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

The witchunt and vendetta Goodell had against Zeke was fucking criminal.

It was not against Zeke or the Cowboys, it was trying to prove that no matter what the NFL would not let a Ray Rice or Josh Brown bite them again. Goodell got so blinded by that he was going to lay the thunder down on whoever had been the next one up on domestic abuse charges. 

The funniest part of the sad Zeke saga is when Tiffany Thompson tried hitting up Joey Bosa but ole Bros Before Hoes Joey put her on blast like a good roomate and sent Zeke a screenshot of the texts.

That was the first time TT called the cops on Zeke for assault. February 12, almost a full 3 months before the Dallas Cowboys drafted him with the 4th pick in the 2014 draft. 

After Zeke got drafted and paid, he started paying TT's apartment and car payments. By now she had called the cops on him a second (out of a total of five) time(s). Zeke kept on paying them bills though.

Why? Either he's dumb as shit and hooked on that crazy puss or was paying her off. Pick whichever one you feel is more logical.

Its like that dead rapper XXXtentacion. Huge pos but hey he made some pretty great music and ultimately thats all Im looking for from these guys. Zeke makes some sweet runs on Sunday and that's really the only use I have for him (like to see him utilized in the passing game more too actually)

Edited by cmontexas

jihad ward

“[Jihad] Ward will have ample opportunity to show coaches what he's got inside. And he'll work against the best guard in the league in Zack Martin. Martin has faith: "He's got that combination of leverage and strength and speed and quickness," Martin raved. "I truly believe he's going to be one of the top three-techs in the NFL."

he’s going to wreck opposing offenses.  fuck that little white midget, ward will be a war daddy.  I called it when we made the trade because I can evaluate talent like a professional and should never be doubted when it comes to personnel, ever.  thank you and good night.