Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

29 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

Irregardless of that fact, it should be noted that Earl Thomas is due exactly $8.5 million for 2018.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/earl-thomas-6523/

I'm fine with a straight up trade as long as Thomas signs an extension. I wouldn't want to be packaging picks along with the player swap though.

6 hours ago, Viper said:

All these crazy WR contracts are why I don't think there's a need to cut Dez right now. His pay isn't crazy anymore compared to some of these contracts.

Precisely what I've been saying.

As disappointing as Dez is, he's a better impact player than Jarvis Landry. WR salaries are just getting stupid high.

• Like 1

A straight up Dez for Earl wouldn't be the worst idea ever. But I think a couple of things keep that form happening. Earl is in his contract year and will be a free agent in 2019 and probably will demand stupid money, so he's probably a rental. Dez is still under control for two years, but they still have a reasonably cheap opt-out option at the end of 2018.

And there's simply no player on the Cowboys roster or in the draft that can be expected to be a number one recevier with any amount of confidence.

So I continue to believe Dez isn't going anywhere, and perhaps will give the Cowboys some salary relieve with some incentives to gain back some lost income, perhaps even more, if he steps up and performs. As little confidence as I have in the Cowboys front office strategery, they seem to have actually done a pretty decent job leveraging to convince Dez to take a slight pay cut.

• Like 1

Im pretty sure Rothlisberger, Rodgers, Brees, and Brady were pretty high priced. Brady on the lower spectrum but definitely over 10 a year. 
10 a year is high priced? What? Garoppolo is making 37 million this year. Over the last decade, one QB has been over 12% of his team's salary cap and won the SB (Manning). Since 1994, the average percentage of a teams salary cap of Super Bowl winning QBs is 6.9%. The average QB over that time span is 8%. For reference, Cousins is now 15.4% and Garoppolo is over 20%

I was talking about Brady. He was hovering around that 12 to 15 million over the last 10 years which is a lot less than other QBs. They back load his contracts.  
Brady has gotten over a 9% cap hit (of total team salary) one time that they won the SB. He is the GOAT but they win so much because they put their money in the right places

6 hours ago, DougO said:

Plus, I'm not sure Dez is a Seahawks kind of guy. They use a lot of smaller, speedy journeyman types and probably wouldn't be chomping at the bit to get a guy like Dez.

Las Vegas/ Jacksonville or Atlanta would be my guesses as to where Dez finally lands... The teams run an offense catered to his style with youthful QB's...

3 hours ago, cls0329 said:
5 hours ago, In10se said:
I was talking about Brady. He was hovering around that 12 to 15 million over the last 10 years which is a lot less than other QBs. They back load his contracts.  

Brady has gotten over a 9% cap hit (of total team salary) one time that they won the SB. He is the GOAT but they win so much because they put their money in the right places

Which they wouldn't be able to do if Brady weren't married to one of the richest super models on the planet and was demanding every penny of max money every year like every other QB would. 

7 hours ago, In10se said:

Which they wouldn't be able to do if Brady weren't married to one of the richest super models on the planet and was demanding every penny of max money every year like every other QB would. 

I don't think she as much to do with that as they've always seemed to have a decent back up that could start or enough drat picks that they could trade up for another QB anytime. Brady knows that. And he knows that Bellichik will cut anyplayer in a heartbeat if he thinks he can find something better

blogging the boys put together a "little board" for the draft picks

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/4/13/17231438/cowboys-2018-draft-a-little-board-and-four-full-round-mock-drafts-vita-vea-harold-landry-taven-bryan

Every year since 2011 we've built a draft board here on Blogging The Boys populated with players the Cowboys have invited for official pre-draft visits or have otherwise interacted with. By necessity, the result is a “Little Board,” as rabbelrousr used to call it, because the board should only contain names the Cowboys had more than a fleeting interest in.

We know that the Cowboys traditionally whittle down the 450 or so draft-eligible players to roughly 130-150 names that adorn their final draft board. If we assume that they are legitimately interested in the players they’ve brought in for visits, or players that had a private workout with the Cowboys (and not just random players the Cowboys talked with on the sidelines of a pro day or a bowl game, or one of the 60 interviews allowed at the Combine), we could know about 30-40% of the players on the Cowboys’ board. That’s some good information to work with. In addition, by looking at which positions receive the most invitations, we can get a better idea about which positions the Dallas brain trust is honing in on - not that that’s a big secret this year.

This year, we've whittled down the names of potential prospects to 54 by listing the Cowboys' official Top 30 visitors, players who had private workouts with the Cowboys, and prospects that were invited to Dallas Day. We limited the names to players listed on NFLDraftScouts' Top 500 board.

A note on the color codes in the “Little Board” below:

• Players in blue are official Top 30 invitees.
  • Players in green are all the known players the Cowboys have had a private workout with.
  • Players in yellow are “Dallas Day” participants.
  Rd 1 Rd 2 Rd 3 Rd 4 Rd 5 Rd 6-7 FA
OFFENSE
RB     Nyheim Hines   Dimitri Flowers Ito Smith Chris Warren
WR Calvin Ridley Christian Kirk DaeSean Hamilton Antonio Callaway     Davon Grayson
D.J. Moore James Washington Tre'Quan Smith Daurice Fountain Trey Quinn    
  D.J. Chark Michael Gallup        
TE           David Wells  
OL James Daniels Kolton Miller     Cole Madison Desmond Harrison Maea Teuhema
Mike McGlinchey Austin Corbett         Matt Pryor
Will Hernandez Braden Smith         Brad Lundblade
Connor Williams           Patrick Morris
DEFENSE
CB             Ranthony Texada
DE Harold Landry Arden Key Breeland Speaks     Justin Lawler Sione Teuhema
DT Vita Vea Nathan Shepherd          
Da'Ron Payne            
Taven Bryan            
LB Leighton Vander Esch Malik Jefferson Darius Leonard       Travin Howard
Rashaan Evans   Fred Warner       C.J. Johnson
S     Terrell Edmunds Tarvarius Moore   Tracy Walker Nick Orr
    Kyzir White DeShon Elliott   Joshua Kalu  

The trickiest part of this exercise is correctly slotting the players, and our guesses may well be quite a bit off from where the team has a given player slotted on its board. But so be it.

A few attendant thoughts.

The color scheme: Notice how the Cowboys spent most of their official visits on day one and day two prospects (marked in blue). They supplemented those premium prospects with later round options they worked out privately (green), and then brought in a lot of potential college free agents for Dallas Day (yellow). Some of this is obviously by default (there simply aren’t that many highly ranked prospects that qualify as Dallas Day candidates for example), but the color pattern also suggests a clear strategy.

No corners and no quarterbacks: Outside of Dallas Day participant Ranthony Texada out of TCU, the Cowboys did not show interest in any cornerbacks this year. Same thing goes for QBs: Despite announcing that they are looking for a third QB, the Cowboys haven't shown any interest in QBs so far.

Too many priorities, not enough picks. Last year, the Cowboys broke an eight-year streak of drafting at least one linebacker in the draft when they didn't take a single linebacker. That wont happen this year, as they'll likely double-dip at the position.

But linebacker is just one of four priority positions. If the table above is even directionally right, the Cowboys are looking at taking a linebacker in the first three rounds. Leighton Vander Eschand Rashaan Evans are likely first-round picks, Malik Jefferson is projected to go in round two, Darius Leonard and Fred Warner will likely get drafted in round three. Apart from two likely college free agents who came in for Dallas Day, that's it in terms of the linebackers the Cowboys have shown interest in. Does that mean the Cowboys will draft a linebacker with one of their first three picks? Perhaps.

Judging by the distribution of names and colors in the table above, the Cowboys have three additional priority positions that they'd like to address with the first three picks: Offensive line, defensive line, and wide receiver. With three picks and four priority positions, something has got to give. Which position will it be?

There's a good chance the Cowboys could look to package some of their Day Three picks to move back into the third round (or at least to the top of the fourth), as there's a definite benefit in addressing your four key needs in the top 100 picks. An equally likely scenario is that the Cowboys could look to trade down and gain an extra Top 100 pick.

As an aside, this three-picks-but-four-priorities conundrum is a key reason why most Cowboys mock drafts don't feel quite right this year - almost all of them fail to address at least one key priority position. And it's also a reason why many fans and observers will downgrade the actual Cowboys draft in two weeks: The Cowboys will almost certainly fail to address at least one, and possibly even two, of the four priorities in the first three rounds.

Safeties late? In contrast to the four priority positions, it appears the Cowboys could be looking for a safety on day three, or at least they haven't invited any safeties that are projected for the first or second round.

But it doesn't make life during the draft much easier. If the Cowboys take a safety in round three, that will almost certainly come at the expense of one of the four priority positions.

WhT could have been.   I look forward to him being signed to a team with a coach who knows how to use him and  watch him win a Super Bowl with the patriots lol
Patriots like precision route runners. Not sure he's a great fit there. Also, if they win the Super Bowl, it won't be because of him. He would just happen to be on the team when they do it.
  • Like 2

On 4/11/2018 at 4:58 PM, Mileslong said:

You seem to leave out the part where Dez can’t get separation and when he does he just drops the ball more than any other WR in the league

I'll always like Dez, but last year was rough. I bet signing another vet and drafting WR in rounds 1 or 2 will allow them to replace his production. Sometimes players production just falls off a cliff.

• Like 1

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

Supposedly Dez walked out and told them he will see them twice a year. Is he going to be a Redskin? Seems if he went in division, that would be the most likely. I don't think the Eagles can afford him at the moment. 

I'm down with the skins.  Not like Smith likes throwing to WRs anyways. 

May as well get rid of him and save the cap money if you are going to stick with a quarterback that isn't good enough to get the ball to him down the field.  Use the cap space to work on other areas to hide the deficiencies of Dak.  

So it’s Daks fault he can’t get open or catch the ball?
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Calvin Ridley was the only WR projected rd1 pick that the cowboys had for a pre-draft visit.  Still think they go DL in RD1 and save WR for 2nd or 3rd. 

Without Dez they are almost locked in to drafting a WR in round 1. That's bad because now team's know they have to trade above Dallas to get Ridley or DJ Moore, and they'll probably miss out and have to reach like they usually do. Good possibility of a trade down to take a next-option guy, or have to trade up and burn some good picks, and end up with a domino effect shitty draft. We've seen that show before.

10 minutes ago, Bill Brasky said:

May as well get rid of him and save the cap money if you are going to stick with a quarterback that isn't good enough to get the ball to him down the field.  Use the cap space to work on other areas to hide the deficiencies of Dak.  

Jeez man he was in his second year. We’ve seen him throw it deep(the game winner for Cardinals last year was 50 plus yards on a dime). 

I love dez, and I fully understand that dak isn’t a finished product. But crap like this and people saying Dak is the only reason that’s dez sucked it crazy. 

Im sad. But I’m in record saying the cowboys will have double digit wins next year. Even without Dez. The defense, QB, Running game, and hopefully the OL will be better. 

Jusy have a good draft and go from there. 

1 minute ago, DougO said:

Without Dez they are almost locked in to drafting a WR in round 1. That's bad because now team's know they have to trade above Dallas to get Ridley or DJ Moore, and they'll probably miss out and have to reach like they usually do. Good possibility of a trade down to take a next-option guy, or have to trade up and burn some good picks, and end up with a domino effect shitty draft. We've seen that show before.

Easily get Miller in second round imo.  Or they’ll take whither WR gets to them at 19. I think at least 1 will make it. 

Hell I saw a report saying Sutton would go before Ridley. Even better. 

9 minutes ago, DougO said:

calm down, probably dont go WR in first, Sutton may be had in the second and that would be amazing.

1 minute ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Dak did just fine when Dez was injured. Something to keep in mind.

I will keep saying it. This offense was at its most efficient when Dez was out. When he got hurt for those games, I remember people freaking out about what were we going to do without him. And it was the total opposite. You didn't even realize he was missing. No longer did Dak feel the need to get him the ball and force feed his ego. Which usually bogged down the offense. All the WRs got involved and he was the most comfortable. Dez became a net negative to this offense. His production (or lack of it) did not outweigh the issues he was causing. 

The Seattle game last year. We are playing in a must win game, we are winning at the time and Dez is throwing a hissy fit on the sidelines about not getting the ball. Then the next ball that was thrown to him, he let it cling off his hands and was picked off. He's a distraction to this offense. People tried to talk themselves into it being the media just trying to start stuff and all his antics on the sideline were taken out of context. False. He became a bitch when he didn't get his way. He already proved in the Seattle game he didn't care about team results. He wanted his touches and stats first. And he's definitely not the only WR like this. Plenty of them out there. It seems to be their mentality for whatever reason.

I'm not sure what memories people are holding on and will miss of Dez where this is such some sad state of affair. The Romo/Dez/Witten trio got extremely stale. 2 down, 1 to go.

Dez will sign with the Fecals. Just watch.

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

Easily get Miller in second round imo.  Or they’ll take whither WR gets to them at 19. I think at least 1 will make it. 

Hell I saw a report saying Sutton would go before Ridley. Even better. 

It's the wrong draft to find a number one receiver prospect. Lots of good complimentary types with questions with size/speed/scheme in later rounds, though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DougO said:

Not true at all. We don't need a 1st round guy to replace Dez. You can replace him with a 2nd/3rd round talent. You need to realize that with him being gone, is a positive for the rest of this offense. No longer do we have to force feed him and bog down the offense. This opens up everything. Taking a WR in the 1st would be ignorant. Which is what makes me nervous. This front office is known to make ignorant decisions on draft day. Get a LB in the first. And WR in the 2nd or 3rd. 

Still like the possibility of getting Earl Thomas with the money Dez freed up for us. That would transform this defense and this team in general. Still holding out hope there because we need a safety very badly.

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Not true at all. We don't need a 1st round guy to replace Dez. You can replace him with a 2nd/3rd round talent.

It's not about replacing what they had in Dez. It's about getting a receiver that's actually a legit number one, which was a need with or without Dez. The odds of finding one got slimmer.

Edited by DougO

12 minutes ago, DougO said:

Either you're full of shit or you should start picking stocks.

2 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Either you're full of shit or you should start picking stocks.

Well, I'm the guy who got ripped a couple of years ago by everybody here because I was saying the Cowboys need to find a new number one receiver, because Dez ain't it.